• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between calling out a strategy and saying :

Not including the rest of the aggressive comments, there are countless other ways to tell someone that their strategy isn't working that isn't designed to antagonize them further or for taking out your frustration on them. It doesn't have to be "Stuart you're bad at this" or complete silence, there's a world of middle ground.
And when the user in question is also saying people are being stupid, lazy, and telling them to shove it? When said user is spamming the thread and talking about how they wish they could just get themselves modkilled? It all works both ways. Here's another perspective - due to Stu's spamming and over the top approach he was widely read as being honest in his beliefs - had he been more docile and reserved he very likely would have been viewed as being opportunistic in trying to get a "confirmed town" player voted out. Tone and approach matter, and even though Stu was causing users to be frustrated or annoyed it served a purpose. Again, everything has limits - users shouldn't be insulted or called stupid, and the comments towards Stu went too far - but where's the line between what is okay and what wasn't?

Yes, I have seen the guides over there and the one's designed for gamerunners. None of it goes into moderation at all outside of just listing the rules, and presumably you already have something that talks about this in some way. So, I had no real reason to believe that it would be posted in there.
What we have posted is what exists. I think we have all of like..two documents that aren't publicly posted - the queue of games and the priority for getting into games (which we have posted live data from, just don't think it's linked anywhere in totality). I'm not sure where the idea that we have all of these hidden documents is coming from - can you elaborate?

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not including the rest of the aggressive comments, there are countless other ways to tell someone that their strategy isn't working that isn't designed to antagonize them further or for taking out your frustration on them. It doesn't have to be "Stuart you're bad at this" or complete silence, there's a world of middle ground.

I was trying to antagonize Stu further. Full stop. The strategy was to get him to derail the day further, make him dig into his singular focus, and stop him from trying to solve the game which he had done already. Under your model, this approach is seen as aggressive but you are discounting why that strategy would need to be employed. You specifically mention letting people know how their play was bad. You can easily find posts where I did that too but I'm not here playing scum to give someone a strategy lesson, sometimes they just need to be egged on. There is good discussion to be had here, taking your own frustration out on someone else, for example, but denying strategy for the sake of hand holding? I can't say I'm there for that.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to antagonize Stu further. Full stop. The strategy was to get him to derail the day further, make him dig into his singular focus, and stop him from trying to solve the game which he had done already. Under your model, this approach is seen as aggressive but you are discounting why that strategy would need to be employed. You specifically mention letting people know how their play was bad. You can easily find posts where I did that too but I'm not here playing scum to give someone a strategy lesson, sometimes they just need to be egged on. There is good discussion to be had here, taking your own frustration out on someone else, for example, but denying strategy for the sake of hand holding? I can't say I'm there for that.

Again, I'm going back to the MOBA example as that is honestly the experience I can relate the most to this situation. I played countless hours of League of Legends and for those of you who don't know, MOBA's have some of the most toxic communities out there. Throughout my games, I saw hostility on display of all kinds. Teammates tearing into each other for performing badly, teammates tearing into others because someone treated them poorly in the past game, teammates taking frustrations out on each other because they're frustrated at themselves, but most relevant here was that I saw people who would use hostility as a weapon.

Their goal was to win the game no matter what happened, so they would push and prod the enemies in an attempt to make them play worse, spend more time typing instead of playing, and ultimately get them to just leave the game so that it would become a 5v4. They didn't care how the other person felt after the game, but they saw it as justified as they were trying to win in their own way. I despised the people that I saw in those games who exhibited all of the above characteristics, and I despise it when I see it here as well.

And when the user in question is also saying people are being stupid, lazy, and telling them to shove it? When said user is spamming the thread and talking about how they wish they could just get themselves modkilled? It all works both ways. Here's another perspective - due to Stu's spamming and over the top approach he was widely read as being honest in his beliefs - had he been more docile and reserved he very likely would have been viewed as being opportunistic in trying to get a "confirmed town" player voted out. Tone and approach matter, and even though Stu was causing users to be frustrated or annoyed it served a purpose. Again, everything has limits - users shouldn't be insulted or called stupid, and the comments towards Stu went too far - but where's the line between what is okay and what wasn't?

If both sides are an issue, then warn both sides. Stuart was not acting annoyed out of some intent to prove himself town, but out of frustration as people continually antagonized him. You ask the question of what's okay and what isn't, but you highlighted how he called people stupid, lazy, and told them to shove it in retaliation. You have an idea of where the line is, but there's this idea that so much aggression goes as it's just "part of the game" and I don't think most people agree with that. If I'm alone in thinking this, then I'll just drop it and move on as we have very different views on what's acceptable.

What we have posted is what exists. I think we have all of like..two documents that aren't publicly posted - the queue of games and the priority for getting into games (which we have posted live data from, just don't think it's linked anywhere in totality). I'm not sure where the idea that we have all of these hidden documents is coming from - can you elaborate?

I would presume that there is some kind of moderation guide for a few different reasons. This is a community that has existed and had a set of rules for years and years, and we've had quite a few discussions about the inability to have them utilized properly, so it would make sense to have something that people would look at to actually understand the rules further beyond just a vague level of aggression that's up to the gamerunner's discretion. I'm honestly unsure how moderation decisions for games are actually handled, and how consistency is expected without a framework on the books in some way as that is how everything I've moderated in the past has operated.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Again, I'm going back to the MOBA example as that is honestly the experience I can relate the most to this situation. I played countless hours of League of Legends and for those of you who don't know, MOBA's have some of the most toxic communities out there. Throughout my games, I saw hostility on display of all kinds. Teammates tearing into each other for performing badly, teammates tearing into others because someone treated them poorly in the past game, teammates taking frustrations out on each other because they're frustrated at themselves, but most relevant here was that I saw people who would use hostility as a weapon.

Their goal was to win the game no matter what happened, so they would push and prod the enemies in an attempt to make them play worse, spend more time typing instead of playing, and ultimately get them to just leave the game so that it would become a 5v4. They didn't care how the other person felt after the game, but they saw it as justified as they were trying to win in their own way. I despised the people that I saw in those games who exhibited all of the above characteristics, and I despise it when I see it here as well.

This example is silly and has worn out it's welcome but MOBA's and many other online games also have the idea of BM too. The asshole trying to get someone to quit the game so it's a 5v4 is playing outside the rules of the game and you know it so it doesn't apply here. Where this analogy breaks down is talking about prodding enemies to make them play worse. In league, the game you are playing involves attack, movement, strategy, etc, there are a lot of verbs the game developer has given you. If you silenced all text and voice chat, the game can still be played. Comparing it to mafia is apples and oranges, the verbs you have in mafia are all communicative and psychological. Playing the game is reading people, toying with their emotions, thinking logically. I don't know League well enough to give you an actual good analogy but I'm sure there is some ability in League that counters a ton of stuff and everyone hates being on the receiving end of it. Your suggestions are treading close to the idea of just removing that ability entirely just because it can annoy people.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
Even in Moba's though, you never get punished for flaming the enemy team, it's usually part of BM. I know because when I feel like I can't win you bet I'm going to use strategies to make the enemy team fight among themselves. Call me an asshole if you want but my rank matters lol.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I think telling someone they are bad at the game is a shitty thing to do.

At the very least, I would ask that some kind of rule that protects new players from hostility like that would be nice. I remember getting laughed at and told I didnt know how to find Scum in my first game. I got over it, but I can picture others maybe not wanting to play again if that happened to them.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm sure I have engaged in something similar in the past, but I would try to be better about it in the future.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know what to say though, I just wish we could figure this shit out.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the answers!

At the very least, I would ask that some kind of rule that protects new players from hostility like that would be nice. I remember getting laughed at and told I didnt know how to find Scum in my first game. I got over it, but I can picture others maybe not wanting to play again if that happened to them.

I'd believe a gamerunner would normally be a bit harsher when the affected party is a newbie, but this could be interesting to discuss as a rule. And sorry to hear that happened in your first game.

I dont know what to say though, I just wish we could figure this shit out.

Unsure if it's a wise thing to do, but with everyone highlighting how complex and subjective aggression is as a topic, I have to wonder if it should be better served by an OM dedicated thread. Review threads may feel too much like a quick discussion of urgent stuff right before starting the next season, and as such a bit too fast to solve problems that've been brought up multiple times.

An OM thread could also provide feedback for the previously mentioned new document, kind of like how the new priority system was discussed.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This example is silly and has worn out it's welcome but MOBA's and many other online games also have the idea of BM too. The asshole trying to get someone to quit the game so it's a 5v4 is playing outside the rules of the game and you know it so it doesn't apply here. Where this analogy breaks down is talking about prodding enemies to make them play worse. In league, the game you are playing involves attack, movement, strategy, etc, there are a lot of verbs the game developer has given you. If you silenced all text and voice chat, the game can still be played. Comparing it to mafia is apples and oranges, the verbs you have in mafia are all communicative and psychological. Playing the game is reading people, toying with their emotions, thinking logically. I don't know League well enough to give you an actual good analogy but I'm sure there is some ability in League that counters a ton of stuff and everyone hates being on the receiving end of it. Your suggestions are treading close to the idea of just removing that ability entirely just because it can annoy people.

I don't know how to put this any other way, but I feel that aggression like that is outside the rules of the game in both MOBA's and Mafia. I'm making the comparison between the two as the toxic attitude of the community in MOBA's drove me off from playing the games or from picking up new ones, and I'm feeling a lot of the same surrounding Mafia games here. It's not a perfect 1:1 analogy, but I think that if you're purposefully trying to antagonize someone with no regard for their own wellbeing because it can let you win a game, then you've gone so incredibly too far that it's just not enjoyable for me to be around let alone if it was directed at me.

Telling someone that they're bad at the game is one of the most black and white situations there are to the point that Mafia Universe has it as an explicit rule as well.

Play with a sportsmanlike attitude. It is unsportsmanlike to mock another person's win/loss record, their performance within a game, or to attempt to circumvent the rules and cheat. Refer to the forum rules and each individual game's rules for definitions of what constitutes cheating.

To be honest, this is exhausting. This is a such an uphill battle on some very basic aggression from the people who make these decisions, and I just don't see how future games will be less toxic when no one on the staff side is conceding any of the points, and instead have just felt so incredibly dismissive. Like, let me honestly ask you this Sorian. When you're purposefully trying to antagonize someone in the game, does it matter to you how it affects them not only during the game but outside of it or after the game?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, this is exhausting. This is a such an uphill battle on some very basic aggression from the people who make these decisions, and I just don't see how future games will be less toxic when no one on the staff side is conceding any of the points, and instead have just felt so incredibly dismissive.
Agreed 100%.

I think part of the reason I'm just not feeling like talking about this anymore is that it seems like there is just no breaking through here on this stuff. I agree with some of the rules Sawneeks posted last page, but then other ones just felt really vague and I felt like I didn't say enough here to get any firm lines drawn or that I just don't have the words I guess to describe why there should be lines drawn and what we need to stop.

The rule from MU about accommodating reasonable requests is fine, but ultimately I was hoping for more than just that and I feel like I shouldn't have even highlighted that one because it's not the one I agreed with the most.

I literally asked earlier in the thread if we could just stamp out telling players that they are bad at the game:
Edit: I also just realized that the first quote from Sorian that Ket pulled in that post is literally telling Stu that he is bad at the game. I feel like that is something we should stamp out.
But now Nat is pushing back and saying no, you see, it's actually ok to tell someone they suck at playing Mafia:
For instance, one of the examples provided is of telling a player they're bad at playing Mafia due to the strategy they were using. That's not a clear insult, and it has game relevance. In fact I would bet there are plenty of unmoderated examples on Era where someone says someone else is playing poorly or wrong (in terms of a videogame).
How are they going about that though? Is it constructive criticism or is it just someone being toxic? The clear difference is between telling someone "Hey, I don't think your approach right now is working the best because I'm not very convinced" vs. "You are bad at this game"

One is fine, the other is not.

---------

Let's just be completely honest here: Sorian acts like a fucking dick in almost every game he plays here and gives absolutely no fucks about how other players feel about it because he has fun doing it and since he is one of the people in charge of running the community and is friends with all of the others, he gets away with it every damn time.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I feel like I'm reaching a breaking point here and I just want to say exactly what I'm thinking right now.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
And I'm not saying I'm perfect, I've fucked up and probably crossed plenty of lines in the past, but I'm trying to be better about it because honestly, when my friend hesitated and ultimately didn't sign up for LiS Mafia with her sole reason being the hostility she's seen in some of the games here, I felt like shit about that.

OP
OP
Sawneeks

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay let's take a step back on the personal attacks, please. We're all trying to figure out what will work here and getting to those kind of attacks is detrimental to the discussion at hand since that's what we are trying to curb.

I'm at work and haven't caught up fully yet. I will in time.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I'll try to cool down and come back later I guess before I say something else I might regret.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just tired of talking about it I think, I don't actually know what to say or what I want out of all of this. I just wish it we could figure this all out.

Sorry for exploding in rage once again as I always do around here for some reason, I guess since I try not to do it anymore I was due for another meltdown.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to put this any other way, but I feel that aggression like that is outside the rules of the game in both MOBA's and Mafia. I'm making the comparison between the two as the toxic attitude of the community in MOBA's drove me off from playing the games or from picking up new ones, and I'm feeling a lot of the same surrounding Mafia games here. It's not a perfect 1:1 analogy, but I think that if you're purposefully trying to antagonize someone with no regard for their own wellbeing because it can let you win a game, then you've gone so incredibly too far that it's just not enjoyable for me to be around let alone if it was directed at me.

Telling someone that they're bad at the game is one of the most black and white situations there are to the point that Mafia Universe has it as an explicit rule as well.

To be honest, this is exhausting. This is a such an uphill battle on some very basic aggression from the people who make these decisions, and I just don't see how future games will be less toxic when no one on the staff side is conceding any of the points, and instead have just felt so incredibly dismissive. Like, let me honestly ask you this Sorian. When you're purposefully trying to antagonize someone in the game, does it matter to you how it affects them not only during the game but outside of it or after the game?
It's very disingenuous to say we're "conceding none of the points" when we're taking time to try and hash this out with everyone. When many of us will then turn around and spend time putting together materials to try and ensure future gamerunners have better resources to identify and halt aggression. It takes a lot of time on our end to make everything come together.

Agreed 100%.

I think part of the reason I'm just not feeling like talking about this anymore is that it seems like there is just no breaking through here on this stuff. I agree with some of the rules Sawneeks posted last page, but then other ones just felt really vague and I felt like I didn't say enough here to get any firm lines drawn or that I just don't have the words I guess to describe why there should be lines drawn and what we need to stop.

The rule from MU about accommodating reasonable requests is fine, but ultimately I was hoping for more than just that and I feel like I shouldn't have even highlighted that one because it's not the one I agreed with the most.

I literally asked earlier in the thread if we could just stamp out telling players that they are bad at the game:

But now Nat is pushing back and saying no, you see, it's actually ok to tell someone they suck at playing Mafia:

How are they going about that though? Is it constructive criticism or is it just someone being toxic? The clear difference is between telling someone "Hey, I don't think your approach right now is working the best because I'm not very convinced" vs. "You are bad at this game"

One is fine, the other is not.

---------

Let's just be completely honest here: Sorian acts like a fucking dick in almost every game he plays here and gives absolutely no fucks about how other players feel about it because he has fun doing it and since he is one of the people in charge of running the community and is friends with all of the others, he gets away with it every damn time.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I feel like I'm reaching a breaking point here and I just want to say exactly what I'm thinking right now.
The very post you quoted from me I literally said the comments to Stu went too far... Not even going to comment on the irony of the end of this post.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
For the example of calling someone bad at the game, i would draw the line on how...constructive the attack is i guess?

Basically if its just a flat "you suck at this" thats obviously out of line, but telling someone thier approach is flawed with an argument as to why its flawed feels like fair game to me.

Last edited:

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
The very post you quoted from me I literally said the comments to Stu went too far... Not even going to comment on the irony of the end of this post.
Yes, I am a dumbass, I realize this.

I'm just in a bad mood today and probably should not have tried to engage with these discussions at all because it gets me frustrated. No point editing my posts though, I'll take the deserved shame.

OP
OP
Sawneeks

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, promise this is going to be my last post. Sorry to keep intruding, but what you're saying suggests that I need to clarify what I posted .

You can define what aggressive behavior is. You can draw a line. This forum already has a line, see the Posting Guidelines. I generally can't go into a thread anywhere on this forum and namecall or tell people they're stupid, not even using the mildest of words. When those people sign up for these games, many of them are expecting the same level of respect in the discourse, but are instead finding a much more hostile environment. Swimming upstream is hard.

I don't intend for you to look at the question of aggression as some broad philosophical debate. You don't need to find those answers. You only need to abide by what the ResetEra community has set as the norm.

However this community has gotten into the habit of breaking those norms and guidelines. Either because the hostility is supposedly "a part of the game", or because people just don't want to enforce the rules when it actually comes time to do so. I ask you to question both of those notions.

The community has up to this point gone out of its way to accommodate hostility, point blank. Giving this much slack to hostile behavior will generally favor the outliers of the community, not the "average person". As far as I can tell, a very small minority of people in these games are hostile players, but because the norms of this forum get bent for them, it makes it seem like their point of view is being reinforced.

The example of the 3 part framework I posted was to try to put the problem into clearer focus, with distinct parts. ResetEra already has a standard on conduct which is pretty clear. Parts 1 and 2 are easy to answer. The real question is Part 3, which is about what really is acceptable tactics in the game (as they relate to hostility).
We're still planning on writing up that moderator document so I'll definitely keep all of this in mind, especially the Posting Guidelines that Era has.
Unsure if it's a wise thing to do, but with everyone highlighting how complex and subjective aggression is as a topic, I have to wonder if it should be better served by an OM dedicated thread. Review threads may feel too much like a quick discussion of urgent stuff right before starting the next season, and as such a bit too fast to solve problems that've been brought up multiple times.

An OM thread could also provide feedback for the previously mentioned new document, kind of like how the new priority system was discussed.
This is also a definite possibility. We are a bit worried since we can't discuss on-going games and that thread would really only be about issues as they arise so the line there would be incredibly thin and easy to break. It's being considered though.

We are talking about these points and not being dismissive. If we really did not care for the community's opinion on these matters we'd ignore review threads and just make the rules on our own without input or discussion. I'm sorry you are feeling like we are being dismissive but we are not. We're trying to be as open and receptive as possible.

From reading all of your posts I do have a question. You mentioned that you wanted more of an example for how players should act within games instead of the rules we have now. If we added in more words describing being courteous, better sportsmanship, and being empethetic to other players would that help solve more of your worries? Those aren't really items we could...enforce outside of asking people to adhere to, it's the aggression rule we have that we can enforce with action.

As for the documents discussed earlier this community was largely run by one person for a very long period of time and then by a small crew who did all of the same jobs. Documentation on what to do was never created since it was simply passed on from the same people by word of mouth. You have to understand that we are still a growing and learning community even after a few years of this, not to mention a new team to run it that has only been doing so for little over a year. Much of the documents we have now were created in that year.

We are planning to create a document that hopefully helps moderation but that still takes time. We hope to have it up and ready before the next main batch of games begins but that's all dependent on how much time we all have to volunteer for it.

As for the rest I'm not sure what else to say other than to please trust us when we say we are trying to do our best. We are planning on enforcing the rules moreso and to hopefully be more consistant with them as well. We can't reflect that in the rules themselves so all we can give is our word on it.
Yes, I am a dumbass, I realize this.

I'm just in a bad mood today and probably should not have tried to engage with these discussions at all because it gets me frustrated. No point editing my posts though, I'll take the deserved shame.
No you're not, Fanto. Just live and let live. Take some time away from the thread and come back in a bit, this isn't going to disappear. :>

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I had so many things quoted that I broke the reply window so I had to move everything to a text file. I've had to do some catching up but I think that's a benefit here, because I haven't been involved in the most recent back-and-forth. But I do think I have identified a few disconnects that may help us, as a community, get closer to solving this.

Which reminds me that one thing we haven't brought up is out of game behavior in general. There have been some very uncomfortable moments in spec chat with people judging others and some post-game blow-ups, and maybe that's something we should address too while we're at it. People read spec after the game; it can't be great to read pages and pages of people talking down your play. And there's no reason for that; it's not in the head of the moment or a tactic or out of real frustration or anything else. It's just people not thinking.

I don't propose we SOLVE that one here. I think we have enough in front of us and I don't want to inflate the discussion unnecessarily. But it's something I hope we will think about prior to the next review thread. If a solution presents itself while we work on aggression? GREAT. If not, let's table it with a resolve to maybe remind each other?

I'll start here at the end, since I think these are important points I want to underscore:
not to mention a new team to run it that has only been doing so for little over a year. Much of the documents we have now were created in that year.
THIS. We have a small core team and we've been doing a lot - changing documentation, workflows, tools, rules, systems for deciding, planning, everything. I think sometimes that gets lost in the shuffle because the community existed long before that, but this team didn't. We are trying. It is a lot.

We are volunteers with different levels of time and skill and we often disagree with one another, too. But we try our best to work together in the best interest of keeping mafia games going. And as people, we get hurt feelings, too. Y'know?

From reading all of your posts I do have a question. You mentioned that you wanted more of an example for how players should act within games instead of the rules we have now. If we added in more words describing being courteous, better sportsmanship, and being empethetic to other players would that help solve more of your worries? Those aren't really items we could...enforce outside of asking people to adhere to, it's the aggression rule we have that we can enforce with action.

I think some of this will help and I'll explain why and how when I get to Ket's suggestion.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what Sneeks posted that we worked on:
This has been a great and highly productive review thread! Thank you everyone who has participated in this is any way. It's how we learn and grow as a community and, moving forward, that's the kind of conversation we want to always have open to everyone.

We've taken notes, discussed a bit, fixed my bad grammar, and come to the below rules. We're still fixing them up and making sure they're solid in what they represent but we wanted to share what we have here before we finalize it. Let us know what you think! Unless something drastic happens we hope to have the OT up within this week and get these rules rolling out for the new slate of games by then.
(rule text itself in a moment)

Something drastic did happen. We didn't go far enough. Okay, no problem. These are a draft. They aren't set in stone. But it's what we came to as a team. We had some agreements, some disagreements, and some hedges. If there is a "secret" document anywhere, it's that chat, where we talk about things, but we need that space to argue and hammer and work.

So what's happening is that there are some disconnects, I think.

First, the no-aggression rule at MU has been references a few times in this thread and y'all, I said it once and I'll say it again: that forum has some really terrible behaviors and not all games are moderated at all or at the same level. I never saw anyone replaced or killed or banned for in-game aggression there, though I did see people voluntarily leave games over it or put other players on ignore mid-game because there was no dealing with it otherwise. Where I did see people banned/actioned was for out of game behavior, including in the discord. So I don't think it's really the model we want to follow - at least I wouldn't. I met several great people there but I wouldn't hang out there regularly. Maybe it's changed since then. I don't know because I had no interest in going back to play.

Second, there were a few other things:
From Rover's post:
Part 1: Would the average ResetEra user find the statement to be more antagonistic than normal towards another user?
  • Consider that antagonizing moves are natural parts of any game, but they also create pressure, which is a factor that exacerbates other issues, as tested in questions 2 and 3.
  • Think about what 'normal' is for the forum; consider the ResetEra community as a whole. You are drawing users who have been filtered through a specific site culture, ideology and TOS.
This to me seems to be a major site of disagreement - and maybe first because it's not a 1-1 comparison. What I find antagonizing on Resetera when I am just being a person is not what I find antagonizing in a game about lying and manipulation and detective work. Those, for me, are not the same realm, and in reading some of the replies here, I think that's an unstated or less stated point of argument, so let me state it (or ask questions):

-Is there a difference in how we act while playing vs not playing? I think for some there is. I can't speak for everyone though.
-Is competitiveness or other outside factors a consideration? I really wonder if we couldn't figure out a way to occasionally run concurrent minis or something that are played in different "modes."

These ideas may have to be resolved before we can harmoniously compromise on how that aggression rule looks.

Next,
Part 3: From the perspective of the players, when looking at the game discussion as a whole, does the statement fail to contribute constructive dialogue?
  • This is the hardest question on the test, because people lose sight of what "constructive" means. What you're trying to determine is if the statement has any merit to the game discussion as it is seen by the players, despite it being rude AND overly antagonistic, and that's a high bar to clear.
Similarly I think this one is really hard to answer due to factions. What's constructive to scum/cult/neutral is not the same as town while people are IN the game and post-game it's too late to deal with in-the-moment situations.

Since I got mentioned:

I did directly say that and I stand by it, you don't need to look any further than your example of Monkey and Stan. Monkey wouldn't be offended by what Stan said if he had said it to her but it still seems to fall into the definition we are forming for aggression regardless of her offense (or lack of).

This is true. I would not be offended if Stan said any of those things at me because I can read Stan's tone pretty well and I have a good sense of where his lines are and when he's actually mad. But there are a few other players with whom that's not the case. I have been offended. I have been upset and I have felt targeted. Once I knew it was part of the strategy and it still smarted. I thought about replacing out. But me as a player, my choice is to take it because that time didn't feel like targeted personal aggression and I don't want to replace out unless I absolutely must. Maybe there's a point at which it would be too much for me. I came close several times at MU. I cried. I hated it. But that was a different case. I was representing us so I kept going. Which leads me back to the question of whether or not people have different thresholds not only because of personality but also because of approach to the game. I know for me I'm super competitive and I get intense. It's why I post so much.

Another post in a second, one more about addressing some comments, and then on to Sneeks' rules post on our behalf and Ket's suggestions.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I saw some questions about game watchers and gamerunners come up and maybe it was answered and I missed it. I will address it here.

Gamerunner(s) is the designer(s) and maybe a co-mod if they take one on. Geno had Gorlak co-mod. I had cabot, who reviewed my first game, help me run it. Not everyone does this. But they are the keepers of the keys - the night actions, the side chats, events, etc.
Game watchers are extra support personnel in modchat. There is at least one person with Outer Mafia powers in modchat, for instance, and usually another person or two. They are there to catch turbos if the gamerunner is out or ostensibly to stop fights and problems - again, if the gamerunner is out. But game watchers are usually responsive, not providing general oversight; if something happens, they weigh in. Sometimes gamerunners have to decide if someone should be replaced for the activity rule or how to handle a problem. For instance:

Can't that be easily abused? A person can say they feel uncomfortable with the simplest of things just to avoid certain situations, the gamerunner must have the final say on what happens I feel.
Things like this have absolutely happened in the history of our community. And while I won't get into specifics, watchers are there to help the gamerunner figure out what to do. Also to help if other rules are skirted but not openly broken, because that happens, too. There are so many gray areas. Being a gamerunner can feel overwhelming at times. People get mad or they don't post and you are sure they hate you, they hate the game, they hate everything - and this goes on for days. Watchers help keep morale up, but they do not usually overtly interfere. One of the changes we have proposed adjusts that. That's for the next (maybe last in this batch) post.

You can define what aggressive behavior is. You can draw a line. This forum already has a line, see the Posting Guidelines. I generally can't go into a thread anywhere on this forum and namecall or tell people they're stupid, not even using the mildest of words. When those people sign up for these games, many of them are expecting the same level of respect in the discourse, but are instead finding a much more hostile environment. Swimming upstream is hard.
Rover, as a moderator on this site, I'm going to tell you that this simply isn't always true. It isn't the firm line you paint here. Incidents are discussed, sometimes for extended periods, while people argue the same lines we are arguing here - context, instigation, etc. - as well as other factors like history and intent that are difficult to weigh. It's challenging. But there are plenty of times we have argued whether or not someone is being called stupid or if their ideas are and where lines are drawn around that - much as we are doing right now. And what may come as a surprise is that I'm usually an outlier in other directions there. I believe in the integrity of this forum. But I believe the game space is a variation on that and the rules shift. It's why we are allowed to internally moderate our own community for the most part.

Okay. I think I'm caught up with the other stuff I wanted to address. Now onto proposed rule changes and maybe an attempt toward compromise.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, these are the rule drafts that seem to be at issue (bolded sections in particular):

X. Failure to adhere to a player's personal pronoun will result in a public warning. On the second offense another public warning will be given and a penalty will be applied to the offender's game priority. On a third offense that player will be removed from the game.

X. Please treat others as you would like to be treated: if someone makes a reasonable request to you, please comply with it. Failure to do so in some cases, such as aggressive posting, will result in gamerunner intervention.

X. Mafia can be an intense and stressful game at times with situations becoming heated. Despite this, being overly hostile towards your fellow players is not allowed. If a player is caught name calling, using slurs, and/or other aggressive behaviors determined by the gamerunner then action will be taken. First a private warning via PM will be given. Failure to stop the behavior will then result in a public warning and the offender will be given a priority penalty. If these behaviors continue despite the warning that player will be removed from the game. Gamerunners reserve the right to escalate punishment if needed.

As I understand it, the questions are - reduce the pronoun penalty to two and continue to clarify aggressive behaviors determined by the gamerunner.

Here's what Ket suggested. I'll take it piece by piece, with her original in italics and my comment below.
Player Behavior

Treat your other players and gamerunner with respect. If someone tells or shows you that something is bothering them within the game, believe them. And treat them how they wanted to be treated. Everyone has different thresholds and they deserve to have that respected.
If someone tells you something is bothering them = yes
If someone shows = that is untenable in a mafia game. For some people who are more straightforward it's totally fine and doable - but again, this is a game about manipulation and sometimes people will put on an act for various reasons. It's also part of what makes "different thresholds" difficult and why we want mod intervention there. I get where this is coming from and in other contexts I absolutely support it! But in some ways, I liken the social aspects of mafia to say... LARPing. And someone may scream and cry and yell in a LARP but there has to be a way to determine if it's real or drama. We can't have code words here outside of talking to mods, so we negotiate context as best we can, as I said in a previous post. So I might suggest this:
Treat players and gamerunners/watchers with respect. Players who are bothered by behavior they perceive as targeted aggression should make their positions clear in game, as everyone has a different threshold. If a player feels another player or players has crossed a line, they should contact the game mod team, who will be listed in the game's first post.

Do not use slurs or bigoted language.
I like the addition of "bigoted language" here. Reduces room for pushback.

Do not belittle others for playing the game in a different manner than you. Some people might be new or have unorthodox methods of playing, but they do not need to be mocked for this.
I actually think this increases gray areas and I would suggest something like:
Please understand that different players have different play styles. Not everyone approaches mafia in the same way or wants the same things out of a game. If a player feels other participants are mocking their style or approach in a hostile or aggressive fashion, they should contact the game mod team, who will be listed in the first post.

In these cases, I have adjusted the language to the impacted player reporting, for two reasons:
1. It reduces opportunities for backseat modding and assumptions about player interactions.
2. We have at times asked players who have been impacted by things if they want action taken and they have said no. I do feel like that's something we should respect in line with respecting play style. This preserves the hard line on things like misgendering and bigotry but allows negotiation in other areas.

While the nature of the game means that disagreements will happen, these disagreements should be made as polite as possible. Mafia can be a stressful game and it's okay to get upset at the game, but do not take it out on others. If someone is breaking the rules, alert the gamerunner or staff, but try and take a brief break before diving back in if you are feeling heated.
I want to add here a little something about what will happen, and adjust the language a bit.

While the nature of mafia means that disagreements will happen, and play may get intense, please try to keep action as congenial as possible. Take a break if you feel heated. If someone is breaking a rule, you are encouraged to alert the game mod team. Reports about in-game action and behavior will be handled by the mod team, and the gamerunner will issue final rulings in the event of disagreements.

And then I very much support the creation of a more specific guide for watchers/runners as has been suggested - and an ongoing OM thread might help build that as long as we can avoid discussing ongoing games. I think too including game watchers in this and making them a formal aspect of a mod TEAM means discussions are distributed and maybe if one mod is more "hardcore" there are other voices weighing in with different perspectives, which may help.

But I want to stress I'm not speaking for the entire facilitator team here - these are my personal suggestions toward compromise.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry everyone, I had a really bad day yesterday and just fucked up and embarrassed myself all over the place, including here.

I'll just take a step away for a while, there's no need for me to be around here, I just make things worse.

Good luck.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry everyone, I had a really bad day yesterday and just fucked up and embarrassed myself all over the place, including here.

I'll just take a step away for a while, there's no need for me to be around here, I just make things worse.

Good luck.
Bad days happen, but you didn't do anything bad here and certainly didn't make anything worse. Please reach out if you need anything, Fanto. Messaging you.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
As long as I'm being @'ed

Rover, as a moderator on this site, I'm going to tell you that this simply isn't always true. It isn't the firm line you paint here. Incidents are discussed, sometimes for extended periods, while people argue the same lines we are arguing here - context, instigation, etc. - as well as other factors like history and intent that are difficult to weigh. It's challenging. But there are plenty of times we have argued whether or not someone is being called stupid or if their ideas are and where lines are drawn around that - much as we are doing right now. And what may come as a surprise is that I'm usually an outlier in other directions there. I believe in the integrity of this forum. But I believe the game space is a variation on that and the rules shift. It's why we are allowed to internally moderate our own community for the most part.

My RL partner is a moderator and I understand those challenges.

I also understand that the broader forum environment deals with topics that often intersect with people's real lives and backgrounds. Moderating the open forum can be difficult because you often have to weigh, as you said, the context of the things being said and who's saying them. Comparatively, the target you're trying to hit as a mafia moderator is much more narrow and laser-focused on game relevancy.

I'm not convinced that detecting aggression is the issue, it's the decision-making on taking people's claims seriously or pulling the trigger on actual punitive measures. For as much as it's been said that the game would be 'ruined' if someone got modkilled, consider that the game was already ruined for someone when you let these aggressive incidents go unchecked.

I already acknowledged that the game space calls for a shift in the norms. It's like how a poker face at the poker table is a normal thing, while at the dinner table it's bad manners. But that doesn't mean you are allowed to flip the table in either situation.

What seems to be falling on deaf ears is the notion that people matter more than the procedure of the game, and this "game space" has simply become a machine you feed people into for the sake of watching the machine spin.

Consider the Catch-22 that's been created by insisting that players not speak out in public about issues they're having (because that's backseat moderating), but don't tell a moderator in private too much about your issue or else they'll bitterly complain at the end about how much you whined and lobbied them. You are just boxing people in with rules on top of rules to protect the integrity of the game, and not the well being and good will of people - and to what end? Who's going to be left to play at the rate that these policies make people not want to be here?

Last edited:

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
As long as I'm being @'ed

My RL partner is a moderator and I understand those challenges.

I also understand that the broader forum environment deals with topics that often intersect with people's real lives and backgrounds. Moderating the open forum can be difficult because you often have to weigh, as you said, the context of the things being said and who's saying them. Comparatively, the target you're trying to hit as a mafia moderator is much more narrow and laser-focused on game relevancy.

I'm not convinced that detecting aggression is the issue, it's the decision-making on taking people's claims seriously or pulling the trigger on actual punitive measures. For as much as it's been said that the game would be 'ruined' if someone got modkilled, consider that the game was already ruined for someone when you let these aggressive incidents go unchecked.

I already acknowledged that the game space calls for a shift in the norms. It's like how a poker face at the poker table is a normal thing, while at the dinner table it's bad manners. But that doesn't mean you are allowed to flip the table in either situation.

What seems to be falling on deaf ears is the notion that people matter more than the procedure of the game, and this "game space" has simply become machine you feed people into for the sake of watching the machine spin.

Consider the Catch-22 that's been created by insisting that players not speak out in public about issues they're having (because that's backseat moderating), but don't tell a moderator in private too much about your issue or else they'll bitterly complain at the end about how much you whined and lobbied them. You are just boxing people in with rules on top of rules to protect the integrity of game, and not people - and to what end? Who's going to be left to play at the rate that these policies make people not want to be here?
To the bolded - I actually don't think this was said at all? I'm fairly certain we've said numerous times if a player is making you feel uncomfortable to state that to them. It's speaking on behalf of other players that should be avoided or trying to hand out warnings/imply punitive measures (e.g. "If you keep it up I'm going to get you modkilled").

As for the portion at the end, I also don't think we housed any of the concerns with backseat modding as being a concern due to gamerunners bitterly complaining, nor is it about the extent to which a player complains or doesn't. The crux of it is that when a decision is made by the gamerunner and game watchers that additional lobbying is not apt to do anything. That was true before, and it will be true in the future. What we're discussing is steps to ensure gamerunners and game watchers are better prepared to address these concerns and providing more documentation to ensure it's done in as close to a consistent manner as possible. That way the initial response is more often appropriate, thus eliminating the need for continued lobbying.

That being said there will always be instances of disagreement. Player A may send a PM to a gamerunner about Player B. Upon investigation it might be clear that both players acted out, and thus a punishment could be handed to both. Player A will almost certainly not be happy with that outcome, but sending a sentence, let alone a novel, of text disagreeing isn't apt to change that.

---

For those of you that have expressed uncertainty about how the process works and spoke to your lack of clarity - perhaps you should consider running some games to learn more. Even if you don't feel like designing a game we have games up for adoption as well. That will allow you to have not only full insight, but hands on experience with the other side of things.

OP
OP
Sawneeks

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Good luck.
Take what time you need, Fanto. We'll be here for you and I hope your days get better! <3
For those of you that have expressed uncertainty about how the process works and spoke to your lack of clarity - perhaps you should consider running some games to learn more. Even if you don't feel like designing a game we have games up for adoption as well. That will allow you to have not only full insight, but hands on experience with the other side of things.
In addition to this we are also open to having prospective gamerunners hang out in a modchat to see how things go. Fanto did this exact process before running LiS. We've also got Mini Mafs that are fairly easy to set up and the adopt-a-game program if you just wanted to pick up a complete game and run it.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First, the no-aggression rule at MU has been references a few times in this thread and y'all, I said it once and I'll say it again: that forum has some really terrible behaviors and not all games are moderated at all or at the same level. I never saw anyone replaced or killed or banned for in-game aggression there, though I did see people voluntarily leave games over it or put other players on ignore mid-game because there was no dealing with it otherwise. Where I did see people banned/actioned was for out of game behavior, including in the discord. So I don't think it's really the model we want to follow - at least I wouldn't. I met several great people there but I wouldn't hang out there regularly. Maybe it's changed since then. I don't know because I had no interest in going back to play.

You mentioned here at the start that MU is not a community that we should look up to, and I don't think that we largely need to. I haven't really experienced any games over there, but whether or not the community is overly toxic or not does not really factor in the way that their rule systems are written and how it can directly account for issues that a lot of us have in these games. I don't feel that it should be acceptable to just tell someone that they're bad at the game in an attempt to antagonize them, and that's something that could be covered by a similar rule for sportsmanlike conduct.

This to me seems to be a major site of disagreement - and maybe first because it's not a 1-1 comparison. What I find antagonizing on Resetera when I am just being a person is not what I find antagonizing in a game about lying and manipulation and detective work. Those, for me, are not the same realm, and in reading some of the replies here, I think that's an unstated or less stated point of argument, so let me state it (or ask questions):

-Is there a difference in how we act while playing vs not playing? I think for some there is. I can't speak for everyone though.
-Is competitiveness or other outside factors a consideration? I really wonder if we couldn't figure out a way to occasionally run concurrent minis or something that are played in different "modes."

These ideas may have to be resolved before we can harmoniously compromise on how that aggression rule looks.

For me, I don't believe that I act differently within a game or outside of it. I might have to lie or be a little more deceptive, but I'm not going to suddenly become someone who doesn't try to be aware of how others are impacted by a game. My experiences in MOBA's made me keenly aware of how important it can be for people to focus on the game and not take out frustrations on each other. That's not to say that I'm perfect, or that I don't get annoyed at times, but that largely I don't switch gears.

As for what bothers me within a game and what's outside of it is largely the same. The largest difference for me is that if there's a general thread on Era that does not surround one of a few key topics that are important to me, I don't have this level of investment that keeps me tied to it. I can just close it out and not care about Epic Game Store stuff or people bashing a game, but these mafia games carry a larger commitment and responsibility so I end up feeling more drained as I read more aggression and not really getting the breather that I need.

I want to briefly address this as well. Like Rover, my partner was a moderator on this site and only recently resigned so I do keenly understand how difficult it can be to tackle these situations on the larger forum and trying to balance the myriad factors involved. And on a personal level, I have helped run and moderate some communities in the past that directly tied into games that surround deception. For those of you who know Trouble in Terrorist Town, I actually designed and helped run the direct precursor to that which led to a community that wasn't used to that kind of gameplay being thrust into it and having to manage all the new scenarios that pop up much like this one. I know it's not easy to manage this stuff, but I'm just saying this to illustrate that I'm not coming at this from no perspective of the moderation side and the complex nature of moderating something like aggression or unsportsmanlike behavior.

Okay, these are the rule drafts that seem to be at issue (bolded sections in particular):

X. Failure to adhere to a player's personal pronoun will result in a public warning. On the second offense another public warning will be given and a penalty will be applied to the offender's game priority. On a third offense that player will be removed from the game.

X. Please treat others as you would like to be treated: if someone makes a reasonable request to you, please comply with it. Failure to do so in some cases, such as aggressive posting, will result in gamerunner intervention.

X. Mafia can be an intense and stressful game at times with situations becoming heated. Despite this, being overly hostile towards your fellow players is not allowed. If a player is caught name calling, using slurs, and/or other aggressive behaviors determined by the gamerunner then action will be taken. First a private warning via PM will be given. Failure to stop the behavior will then result in a public warning and the offender will be given a priority penalty. If these behaviors continue despite the warning that player will be removed from the game. Gamerunners reserve the right to escalate punishment if needed.

As I understand it, the questions are - reduce the pronoun penalty to two and continue to clarify aggressive behaviors determined by the gamerunner.

Here's what Ket suggested. I'll take it piece by piece, with her original in italics and my comment below.
Player Behavior

Treat your other players and gamerunner with respect. If someone tells or shows you that something is bothering them within the game, believe them. And treat them how they wanted to be treated. Everyone has different thresholds and they deserve to have that respected.
If someone tells you something is bothering them = yes
If someone shows = that is untenable in a mafia game. For some people who are more straightforward it's totally fine and doable - but again, this is a game about manipulation and sometimes people will put on an act for various reasons. It's also part of what makes "different thresholds" difficult and why we want mod intervention there. I get where this is coming from and in other contexts I absolutely support it! But in some ways, I liken the social aspects of mafia to say... LARPing. And someone may scream and cry and yell in a LARP but there has to be a way to determine if it's real or drama. We can't have code words here outside of talking to mods, so we negotiate context as best we can, as I said in a previous post. So I might suggest this:
Treat players and gamerunners/watchers with respect. Players who are bothered by behavior they perceive as targeted aggression should make their positions clear in game, as everyone has a different threshold. If a player feels another player or players has crossed a line, they should contact the game mod team, who will be listed in the game's first post.

I like the addition of "bigoted language" here. Reduces room for pushback.

Do not belittle others for playing the game in a different manner than you. Some people might be new or have unorthodox methods of playing, but they do not need to be mocked for this.
I actually think this increases gray areas and I would suggest something like:
Please understand that different players have different play styles. Not everyone approaches mafia in the same way or wants the same things out of a game. If a player feels other participants are mocking their style or approach in a hostile or aggressive fashion, they should contact the game mod team, who will be listed in the first post.

In these cases, I have adjusted the language to the impacted player reporting, for two reasons:
1. It reduces opportunities for backseat modding and assumptions about player interactions.
2. We have at times asked players who have been impacted by things if they want action taken and they have said no. I do feel like that's something we should respect in line with respecting play style. This preserves the hard line on things like misgendering and bigotry but allows negotiation in other areas.

While the nature of the game means that disagreements will happen, these disagreements should be made as polite as possible. Mafia can be a stressful game and it's okay to get upset at the game, but do not take it out on others. If someone is breaking the rules, alert the gamerunner or staff, but try and take a brief break before diving back in if you are feeling heated.
I want to add here a little something about what will happen, and adjust the language a bit.

While the nature of mafia means that disagreements will happen, and play may get intense, please try to keep action as congenial as possible. Take a break if you feel heated. If someone is breaking a rule, you are encouraged to alert the game mod team. Reports about in-game action and behavior will be handled by the mod team, and the gamerunner will issue final rulings in the event of disagreements.

And then I very much support the creation of a more specific guide for watchers/runners as has been suggested - and an ongoing OM thread might help build that as long as we can avoid discussing ongoing games. I think too including game watchers in this and making them a formal aspect of a mod TEAM means discussions are distributed and maybe if one mod is more "hardcore" there are other voices weighing in with different perspectives, which may help.

But I want to stress I'm not speaking for the entire facilitator team here - these are my personal suggestions toward compromise.

Now, on to the meat.

"Treat players and gamerunners/watchers with respect. Players who are bothered by behavior they perceive as targeted aggression should make their positions clear in game, as everyone has a different threshold. If a player feels another player or players has crossed a line, they should contact the game mod team, who will be listed in the game's first post.

While the nature of mafia means that disagreements will happen, and play may get intense, please try to keep action as congenial as possible. Take a break if you feel heated. If someone is breaking a rule, you are encouraged to alert the game mod team. Reports about in-game action and behavior will be handled by the mod team, and the gamerunner will issue final rulings in the event of disagreements."

This is the current list of how you've revised and improved on the very rough rules that I brought up. Looking through these rules and the wording that surrounds them, I feel that it creates a much stronger guideline for players to raise concerns, both in a thread and outside of it in an appropriate way. While it does not guarantee that action will be taken in the event that something is bothering other players, it does create the best compromise that can exist which allows people who are affected to ask for others to stop in the thread or to make their case directly to the people in charge of that decision.

I'm aware that these rules aren't 'that' different from the current on in the sense that they don't outline every possible sign of aggression, but I would feel a lot better if something that used this as a framework was visible to users while something from Rover's framework was visible in a guideline for moderation to use. The main goal that I have when I see these issues arise is for the people affected to be directly taken into consideration, and for us to realize that we're all capable of mistakes, whether that's in the middle of a game or from a moderation standpoint, and I think that these rules or something like them can help resolve some of those issues.

I'm still not confident in how these rules will be enforced, or whether we'll just run into the same issue during this next season though as Natiko's post does concern me surrounding this.

To the bolded - I actually don't think this was said at all? I'm fairly certain we've said numerous times if a player is making you feel uncomfortable to state that to them. It's speaking on behalf of other players that should be avoided or trying to hand out warnings/imply punitive measures (e.g. "If you keep it up I'm going to get you modkilled").

As for the portion at the end, I also don't think we housed any of the concerns with backseat modding as being a concern due to gamerunners bitterly complaining, nor is it about the extent to which a player complains or doesn't. The crux of it is that when a decision is made by the gamerunner and game watchers that additional lobbying is not apt to do anything. That was true before, and it will be true in the future. What we're discussing is steps to ensure gamerunners and game watchers are better prepared to address these concerns and providing more documentation to ensure it's done in as close to a consistent manner as possible. That way the initial response is more often appropriate, thus eliminating the need for continued lobbying.

That being said there will always be instances of disagreement. Player A may send a PM to a gamerunner about Player B. Upon investigation it might be clear that both players acted out, and thus a punishment could be handed to both. Player A will almost certainly not be happy with that outcome, but sending a sentence, let alone a novel, of text disagreeing isn't apt to change that.

---

I will say that I agree with Rover on most things that have been said, and that it does often feel like the integrity of the game is valued more highly than the value of the players within it. This has been demonstrated through the questioning nature of whether aggression should be pushed back on as it can serve a purpose for both proving someone's innocence in a game while also becoming a weapon that can be used to antagonize someone into self-destructing.

And I also agree on the sentiment that a lot of these concerns surrounding backseat modding have felt like it depends on the extent of the player complaining or to what level they're annoying the people making these decisions. It has felt somewhat bitter towards users who raise concerns whether in a game or in private.

I also strongly disagree with the sentiment that once a gamerunner or gamewatchers have settled on a decision that nothing else will actually be able to change their minds, unless they aren't truly listening. As evidenced by this thread and the ones that we've had before, there are going to be times where the people in charge believe that something is one way, while the people within a game have a different perspective and there has to be room available for both someone to make a decision and for people who are affected to be listened to and not shut out once a decision is made.

What I'm getting at here is that while new rules and a proper moderation guide will hopefully go a long way towards reducing issues like this from popping up, it won't ever be a sure thing and there's potential for people to feel shut out or ignored if a decision is made and nothing further is allowed to be said from then on. People can't really expect to argue something forever (Hello, it's me) as that's just not realistic, but I just want the door to be kept open at the very least until things move in a more positive direction.

As for running a game, I'm slowly but surely working on a Twin Peaks Mafia that will hopefully be good and capture some of the essence of the show. But, that is still quite a ways out as I get sidetracked by a lot of stuff

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
As for running a game, I'm slowly but surely working on a Twin Peaks Mafia that will hopefully be good and capture some of the essence of the show. But, that is still quite a ways out as I get sidetracked by a lot of stuff
this is either the best or worst (in a good way) theme for mafia and I'm already there for it
I'll respond in depth later! I'm in the middle of some things now but I appreciate your thorough approach to this.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
You mentioned here at the start that MU is not a community that we should look up to, and I don't think that we largely need to. I haven't really experienced any games over there, but whether or not the community is overly toxic or not does not really factor in the way that their rule systems are written and how it can directly account for issues that a lot of us have in these games. I don't feel that it should be acceptable to just tell someone that they're bad at the game in an attempt to antagonize them, and that's something that could be covered by a similar rule for sportsmanlike conduct.

For me, I don't believe that I act differently within a game or outside of it. I might have to lie or be a little more deceptive, but I'm not going to suddenly become someone who doesn't try to be aware of how others are impacted by a game. My experiences in MOBA's made me keenly aware of how important it can be for people to focus on the game and not take out frustrations on each other. That's not to say that I'm perfect, or that I don't get annoyed at times, but that largely I don't switch gears.

As for what bothers me within a game and what's outside of it is largely the same. The largest difference for me is that if there's a general thread on Era that does not surround one of a few key topics that are important to me, I don't have this level of investment that keeps me tied to it. I can just close it out and not care about Epic Game Store stuff or people bashing a game, but these mafia games carry a larger commitment and responsibility so I end up feeling more drained as I read more aggression and not really getting the breather that I need.

I want to briefly address this as well. Like Rover, my partner was a moderator on this site and only recently resigned so I do keenly understand how difficult it can be to tackle these situations on the larger forum and trying to balance the myriad factors involved. And on a personal level, I have helped run and moderate some communities in the past that directly tied into games that surround deception. For those of you who know Trouble in Terrorist Town, I actually designed and helped run the direct precursor to that which led to a community that wasn't used to that kind of gameplay being thrust into it and having to manage all the new scenarios that pop up much like this one. I know it's not easy to manage this stuff, but I'm just saying this to illustrate that I'm not coming at this from no perspective of the moderation side and the complex nature of moderating something like aggression or unsportsmanlike behavior.

Now, on to the meat.

"Treat players and gamerunners/watchers with respect. Players who are bothered by behavior they perceive as targeted aggression should make their positions clear in game, as everyone has a different threshold. If a player feels another player or players has crossed a line, they should contact the game mod team, who will be listed in the game's first post.

While the nature of mafia means that disagreements will happen, and play may get intense, please try to keep action as congenial as possible. Take a break if you feel heated. If someone is breaking a rule, you are encouraged to alert the game mod team. Reports about in-game action and behavior will be handled by the mod team, and the gamerunner will issue final rulings in the event of disagreements."

This is the current list of how you've revised and improved on the very rough rules that I brought up. Looking through these rules and the wording that surrounds them, I feel that it creates a much stronger guideline for players to raise concerns, both in a thread and outside of it in an appropriate way. While it does not guarantee that action will be taken in the event that something is bothering other players, it does create the best compromise that can exist which allows people who are affected to ask for others to stop in the thread or to make their case directly to the people in charge of that decision.

I'm aware that these rules aren't 'that' different from the current on in the sense that they don't outline every possible sign of aggression, but I would feel a lot better if something that used this as a framework was visible to users while something from Rover's framework was visible in a guideline for moderation to use. The main goal that I have when I see these issues arise is for the people affected to be directly taken into consideration, and for us to realize that we're all capable of mistakes, whether that's in the middle of a game or from a moderation standpoint, and I think that these rules or something like them can help resolve some of those issues.

I'm still not confident in how these rules will be enforced, or whether we'll just run into the same issue during this next season though as Natiko's post does concern me surrounding this.

I will say that I agree with Rover on most things that have been said, and that it does often feel like the integrity of the game is valued more highly than the value of the players within it. This has been demonstrated through the questioning nature of whether aggression should be pushed back on as it can serve a purpose for both proving someone's innocence in a game while also becoming a weapon that can be used to antagonize someone into self-destructing.

And I also agree on the sentiment that a lot of these concerns surrounding backseat modding have felt like it depends on the extent of the player complaining or to what level they're annoying the people making these decisions. It has felt somewhat bitter towards users who raise concerns whether in a game or in private.

I also strongly disagree with the sentiment that once a gamerunner or gamewatchers have settled on a decision that nothing else will actually be able to change their minds, unless they aren't truly listening. As evidenced by this thread and the ones that we've had before, there are going to be times where the people in charge believe that something is one way, while the people within a game have a different perspective and there has to be room available for both someone to make a decision and for people who are affected to be listened to and not shut out once a decision is made.

What I'm getting at here is that while new rules and a proper moderation guide will hopefully go a long way towards reducing issues like this from popping up, it won't ever be a sure thing and there's potential for people to feel shut out or ignored if a decision is made and nothing further is allowed to be said from then on. People can't really expect to argue something forever (Hello, it's me) as that's just not realistic, but I just want the door to be kept open at the very least until things move in a more positive direction.

You're referring to the past in a lot of this though, and again it ignores the context of the changes we are working to implement going forward. If you don't want to believe what is being said that's your prerogative, but I know that the people donating their time to this community do so with the best of intentions. When we say we are going to work towards change we mean that, but tweaking a rule isn't going to lead to it. It's about how you enforce the rules that matter - and we're hoping that in the future we will be able to be more responsive to concerns. That goes both ways though, and I still standby the idea that rehashing something in a vacuum ad nauseum is not going to suddenly lead to a different outcome. Any issue that rises to that level will have been looked at by everyone in the modchat at that point. If the answer hasn't changed, then barring new issues popping it likely won't. Does that mean we'll have always gotten it right? No! I'm not saying that. But trying to backseat mod until you're blue in the face isn't going to somehow make it different. I'd honestly encourage anyone that feels like we got a situation wrong, if they're upset or concerned, to just drop out of the game and bring the issue back up post-game or in the review thread so that we can discuss it with a wider audience and learn potential takeaways. The matter remains though that there's only so many people in a modchat at any given time and people will have a difference of opinions. People will feel justified in their actions when the collective feels they weren't and that applies to not just the game runners and watcher, but to the players as well.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
To the bolded - I actually don't think this was said at all? I'm fairly certain we've said numerous times if a player is making you feel uncomfortable to state that to them.

Well it'd be one thing if it was a simple invitation to do just that, but the welcome gets complicated when leadership claims that people have also "weaponized the rule' and lied about being offended to cheat at the game. Why would people trust leadership to resolve these issues with a caveat like that? How would you say that creates a reassuring environment?

In the last review thread, you said this:

In both of my games I have seen players take extremely tame "insults" and then try and spin a yarn to me in private about how horrid it is and how I should do X, Y, and Z. All of this despite me having provided a warning in the thread and in private. Don't assume you know every step a game runner has taken, and also remember that no one does these alone. Incidents like that almost always get bounced around the mod chat with numerous community members providing thoughts and opinions on what to do. In general though, don't try and turn small incidents into huge ordeals, especially when you know said player has received a warning. It's disingenuous.

I'm not gonna actually drag that whole thread back out, but that's one example of your input to that discussion. It was upsetting to have a leadership member just kind of flippantly throw it out there that my feelings didn't matter and I was probably trying to cheat. Whether or not you thought I was making something up, I left a community of good friends over it and that loss is very much real to me.

I'm more interested in knowing, what do you feel about that statement now? The community is at the same place a season later. The same rhetoric about 'weaponizing the rules' is being thrown around in this thread to cast doubt on people's genuine concerns. A lot has been said about what people want to do better, but only in the abstract. But how do you reflect on this specific thing? Do you feel like it was a bad thing to say, or take as a policy decision?

I'd honestly encourage anyone that feels like we got a situation wrong, if they're upset or concerned, to just drop out of the game and bring the issue back up post-game or in the review thread so that we can discuss it with a wider audience and learn potential takeaways.

This is just suggesting more of a punishment for the people getting bruised. How does that make sense? "If you don't like it, leave" is what this is basically telling people. How do you see that doing anything except moving the norm towards aggressive play?

Aeleus

Nov 29, 2018

Given the complexities around what gamerunners consider aggressive behavior I can see the intent behind a 3 strike system, though I reserve my judgement until I see what's put together as a guide on aggressive behaviour.

I think it's pretty ridiculous that slurs or name calling are included in this, if someone is warned for calling another player a buckethead (the most tame example I could think of) and then does it or similar again then they should be removed no matter how lax the gamerunner.

I'd honestly encourage anyone that feels like we got a situation wrong, if they're upset or concerned, to just drop out of the game and bring the issue back up post-game or in the review thread so that we can discuss it with a wider audience and learn potential takeaways.
What?

------
On the topic of gamerunning/designing, has someone designed a transistor mafia? I've been toying with a game themed around it for a while.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Well it'd be one thing if it was a simple invitation to do just that, but the welcome gets complicated when leadership claims that people have also "weaponized the rule' and lied about being offended to cheat at the game. Why would people trust leadership to resolve these issues with a caveat like that? How would you say that creates a reassuring environment?

In the last review thread, you said this:

I'm not gonna actually drag that whole thread back out, but that's one example of your input to that discussion. It was upsetting to have a leadership member just kind of flippantly throw it out there that my feelings didn't matter and I was probably trying to cheat. Whether or not you thought I was making something up, I left a community of good friends over it and that loss is very much real to me.

I'm more interested in knowing, what do you feel about that statement now? The community is at the same place a season later. The same rhetoric about 'weaponizing the rules' is being thrown around in this thread to cast doubt on people's genuine concerns. A lot has been said about what people want to do better, but only in the abstract. But how do you reflect on this specific thing? Do you feel like it was a bad thing to say, or take as a policy decision?
I know you're reading the thread still despite your preemptive exits. I know then that you're aware we have said numerous times that in the past we have gotten it wrong and that's why we have said repeatedly that we are going to take steps to ensure rules are applied more accurately going forward. Since you're relitigating this issue lets just walk through what would have occurred were this to happen in my next game:
  • Sorian would receive a private warning for the first infraction, just as he did before
  • Sorian would receive an in-thread warning for the second one just as he did before
  • Sorian would also at that time receive a priority penalty - a harsher penalty, more fitting of the incident
  • You would receive a warning for the backseat moderation that then took place after the above
  • No other incidents occurred throughout the remainder of the game
---

The problem with the examples being provided is they all assume the player arguing is innocent. In actuality most instances of aggression involve two or more parties BOTH being hostile. It's very likely that when they both get punished there will be some amount of ill will, and at that point backseat moderation may become an issue. This is what occurred in my first game for instance.

This is just suggesting more of a punishment for the people getting bruised. How does that make sense? "If you don't like it, leave" is what this is basically telling people. How do you see that doing anything except moving the norm towards aggressive play?
I know you're aware that context is important, and I was explicitly talking about cases in which a player feels we got it wrong. Dropping from a game you're miserable in and feel like you've been wronged is not a "punishment" and is not something that would even be enforced upon someone - it's entirely the player's choice. If Player A called Player B a dick and Player B calls Player A an asshole they will both receive a warning. Player B might then complain to the gamerunner that they feel it's unfair they were punished. Are you saying we should always bend to a vocal player, even if they're guilty as well? What if Player A is the one complaining and they point out that Player B was baiting them and trying to rile them up? Should Player A suddenly not be punished for calling them a dick? You can't just bend over backwards to accept every piece of input.

The intent of me saying to drop was that players should not feel like they're obligated to remain in a game if they're having a horrible time. I stated right above where you decided to cut my post off that we haven't always got it right, and we won't ever always get it right - myself included. We're all human here. If a player is miserable and thinks an issue was incorrectly addressed, drop from the game instead of feeling like shit. Talk about the incident post-game when more people can weigh in. It's entirely possible the gamerunner (and potentially watchers) got it wrong. We can learn from those mistakes, but arguing in private with a single person message after message after message isn't the best approach. The reality is there will be times the gamerunner gets it wrong, but there will also be times the player wasn't being objective when they argue against how a punishment is doled out.

Given the complexities around what gamerunners consider aggressive behavior I can see the intent behind a 3 strike system, though I reserve my judgement until I see what's put together as a guide on aggressive behaviour.

I think it's pretty ridiculous that slurs or name calling are included in this, if someone is warned for calling another player a buckethead (the most tame example I could think of) and then does it or similar again then they should be removed no matter how lax the gamerunner.
There are already rules in place to allow a gamerunner to take more extreme action if needed. It's fully expected going forward that if someone goes overboard and calls someone a flaming piece of shit and tells them to die they'll be removed regardless of what infraction they're on.

See my response to Rover. Context matters, as does being realistic. No one here can possibly expect that there's any way to have a perfect system, right? Even Era moderators have gotten things wrong in the past that had to have their course changed, and they have the benefit of being able to tap into their full resources more easily than us who may have half our team in the very game being discussed.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested in relitigating past incidents, I'm interested in seeing concrete answers on what "we got things wrong" means, and how you'd do things differently. I think it's useful for people in this discussion to see what your thought process is.

With that said, all I'm reading from you here is pretty appalling rhetoric about how people getting harassed and complaining about it "not being innocent".

Your breakdown of how you'd handle my case in the future should tell this community that the platitudes you're sharing about "doing better" don't add up to much. Your solution and hindsight on that situation is to give a priority penalty (big whoop) and punish the person who complained.

In actuality most instances of aggression involve two or more parties BOTH being hostile.

Could you substantiate this claim?

And you still haven't answered how this is going to create an environment where players can confide in leadership to air these concerns. What you seem to be saying is that airing concerns is going to be punished or scrutinized in some way.
Is that really your answer?

Suggesting that players drop out of the game if you got the decision wrong is effectively no different than booting them from the game yourself. What it comes across is you not really wanting to engage with the issue and wanting complaining players out of your hair.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested in relitigating past incidents, I'm interested in seeing concrete answers on what "we got things wrong" means, and how you'd do things differently. I think it's useful for people in this discussion to see what your thought process is.

With that said, all I'm reading from you here is pretty appalling rhetoric about how people getting harassed and complaining about it "not being innocent".

Your breakdown of how you'd handle my case in the future should tell this community that the platitudes you're sharing about "doing better" don't add up to much. Your solution and hindsight on that situation is to give a priority penalty (big whoop) and punish the person who complained.

Could you substantiate this claim?

And you still haven't answered how this is going to create an environment where players can confide in leadership to air these concerns. What you seem to be saying is that airing concerns is going to be punished or scrutinized in some way.
Is that really your answer?

Suggesting that players drop out of the game if you got the decision wrong is effectively no different than booting them from the game yourself. What it comes across is you not really wanting to engage with the issue and wanting complaining players out of your hair.
You can't say on one hand you don't want to relitigate the past and then also ask for concrete examples. I used the instance you referenced since that was the one you chose to bring up. None of the offenses in that situation would merit an escalated response beyond what is outlined in the rule, but a priority penalty is assuredly a harsher penalty than what was given as what happened at the time was warnings with no action. This would be actual action being taken, which will help deter future occurrences.

I literally gave an theoretical in which both parties are at fault. Are you arguing in that example Player B calling Player A an asshole is acceptable? Because that's counter intuitive and seems to be what you're implying by saying the example provided there was in fact an "innocent".

As for "punishing the player that complained" - we're talking about a warning with no action versus the instigating player having received an actual actionable punishment. The warning to you would only have occurred at the point in which you pressed the issue past the outlined punishment. Maybe you wouldn't have opted to do so had Sorian received a priority penalty and the whole conversation is moot. I suspect you still would have though since you were calling for action beyond any rule that has ever been implemented or even suggested in addition to citing examples from entirely different games.

Saying airing out concerns is going to be punished is so disingenuous that I'm surprised you made the claim. Of course concerns should be brought to the gamerunner - we have said that repeatedly. The examples I gave were even of a player arguing against the punishment they received - not a player wanting someone punished and being told no.

I'm engaging with all of the points you're bringing, but I can only do so much if you misconstrue or misunderstand my responses. No where did I say that a player that brings a concern would be ignored. I stated that mistakes will happen though on both ends, and they should be addressed by a wider audience that can help course correct as opposed to spamming one single person who has already reviewed and responded to said concerns.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be upfront and say that I don't think that priority penalties carry this heavier weight that seem to be expected, especially as the community is dwindling and the chances that someone can get into the next game even with a penalty is still possible.

But, in particular, I'm reading over this past interaction and I don't understand how this new system is somehow better or how this does not read like you're just trying to silence people who have problems during a game. Under the new system as you see it, you've outlined this as what would have happened in that previous game :

• Sorian would receive a private warning for the first infraction, just as he did before
  • Sorian would receive an in-thread warning for the second one just as he did before
  • Sorian would also at that time receive a priority penalty - a harsher penalty, more fitting of the incident
  • You would receive a warning for the backseat moderation that then took place after the above
  • No other incidents occurred throughout the remainder of the game
The person who was already receiving warnings would not have received anything greater within that game, while the person who was advocating for something harsher to be done would be hit with a warning for annoying you. And let's be clear, that is what was happening and we can see that based on your own words here :

In both of my games I have seen players take extremely tame "insults" and then try and spin a yarn to me in private about how horrid it is and how I should do X, Y, and Z. All of this despite me having provided a warning in the thread and in private. Don't assume you know every step a game runner has taken, and also remember that no one does these alone. Incidents like that almost always get bounced around the mod chat with numerous community members providing thoughts and opinions on what to do. In general though, don't try and turn small incidents into huge ordeals, especially when you know said player has received a warning. It's disingenuous.

You downplay the impact that these had on the player, call them tame, and even put insults in quotes to signify that no one should have cared and how ridiculous they are for being insulted. You all keep being surprised that people feel that you sound bitter in these conversations or like people are being ignored or shut down, when you openly say things like this to someone's face who feels insulted.

And telling someone "Don't bring up issues you have in a game or else we'll punish you. Drop out and talk about it when it can't affect the game." is not really a choice that we want to push for when aggressive behavior and an inability to enforce the rules has been an ongoing issue for so long. I don't see how your interpretation of this system is in any way better than what existed in previous games outside of just telling people to stop bothering you.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The person who was already receiving warnings would not have received anything greater within that game, while the person who was advocating for something harsher to be done would be hit with a warning for annoying you. And let's be clear, that is what was happening and we can see that based on your own words here :

Since one of Rover's complaints is/has been that we are speaking in theoreticals instead of concrete examples, let's make the reasoning here more concrete. Rover would have received a warning for backseat moderation in that instance because my understanding is that he insisted, a few times, that I should be actioned based not only on my conduct in the game being referred to but also based on my conduct in all prior games where we've played together and he specifically came with the action, again I believe a few times, that I should be banned from the community completely. This isn't hit with a warning for annoying someone, this is textbook backseat moderation and is a ridiculous request besides to float to a single gamerunner trying to keep their game from bursting at the seams.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
You can't say on one hand you don't want to relitigate the past and then also ask for concrete examples. I used the instance you referenced since that was the one you chose to bring up. None of the offenses in that situation would merit an escalated response beyond what is outlined in the rule, but a priority penalty is assuredly a harsher penalty than what was given as what happened at the time was warnings with no action. This would be actual action being taken, which will help deter future occurrences.

Alright, let me pump the brakes on one thing, because you seem to be confused about what our conversation is about.

If Season 14 had the same issue as Season 13, then the basic premise of revisiting anything about Season 13 is to understand where you're at on it now, and what worked or didn't work about that position through the duration of S14. I'm not here to relitigate any actual incident from S13, so I appreciate it if you don't suggest anything like that. I quoted something from your comments in S13's review to compare it to what you're saying now, which is very similar, and have opened questions to give you an opportunity to expand on your current feeling on it.

I literally gave an theoretical in which both parties are at fault. Are you arguing in that example Player B calling Player A an asshole is acceptable? Because that's counter intuitive and seems to be what you're implying by saying the example provided there was in fact an "innocent".

You're not getting it. It's not that reciprocated aggression doesn't deserve punishments on both ends. The point is that you are approaching this entire topic with zero compassion, insisting that most people aren't innocent, people weaponize the complaints, and suggesting that a slighted party just leaves if a gamerunner makes the wrong decision (and at the rate you're going, how could they make the right decision?). That's a massive red flag guiding your policy decisions.

As for "punishing the player that complained" - we're talking about a warning with no action versus the instigating player having received an actual actionable punishment. The warning to you would only have occurred at the point in which you pressed the issue past the outlined punishment. Maybe you wouldn't have opted to do so had Sorian received a priority penalty and the whole conversation is moot. I suspect you still would have though since you were calling for action beyond any rule that has ever been implemented or even suggested in addition to citing examples from entirely different games.

A warning is the most common and harshest standard you guys have, since no one wants to modkill. It's a punishment, and I'd really urge you reconsider what you think of as "excessive" if a player feels that moderation doesn't understand the complaint they're making. That is going to require compassion from mods and maybe a thicker skin.

And again, I'm not here to relitigate a past game. This isn't about questioning my actions, I'm not in charge in this community.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason someone's entire history shouldn't be used to determine an appropriate action? Not necessarily saying someone should be banned from the community entirely, but if there are multiple prior instances as well, should that be something that is taken into account to determine an appropriate punishment rather than just going by what is happening in the current game? Sorry if this was addressed already and I missed it or forgot, just something I thought of now based on the current discussion.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Since one of Rover's complaints is/has been that we are speaking in theoreticals instead of concrete examples, let's make the reasoning here more concrete. Rover would have received a warning for backseat moderation in that instance because my understanding is that he insisted, a few times, that I should be actioned based not only on my conduct in the game being referred to but also based on my conduct in all prior games where we've played together and he specifically came with the action, again I believe a few times, that I should be banned from the community completely. This isn't hit with a warning for annoying someone, this is textbook backseat moderation and is a ridiculous request besides to float to a single gamerunner trying to keep their game from bursting at the seams.

That's patently false.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't see anything wrong with suggesting most of that on it's own if I'm being honest, as someone's history in past games should be factored into these decisions. As an example of that, if someone ends up receiving multiple warnings every single game, but never to the point of quite hitting the point of being replaced/modkilled, then I think it's completely understandable for users who play with that person to be frustrated and want something stricter to happen.

The main issue that I have with Natiko's telling of this is the way that he's downplaying and belittling Rover's feelings on how he feels when he felt insulted. Natiko's post wasn't "This person asked for too much." It directly called out how the insults belong in quotes, how tame they are, and how the person insulted is making a big deal out of nothing. That's dismissive and acts like the people insulted are at fault for being insulted, and it does lead me to wonder how these private conversations actually go if this is what's aired out publicly, as the goal should be to de-escalate the situation and assure them that the staff has their back and believes them.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
I'd only be ok with previous history mattering if it doesn't last forever as long as you have reformed. Like if you were punished and a year goes by without you being punished again then it goes away.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason someone's entire history shouldn't be used to determine an appropriate action? Not necessarily saying someone should be banned from the community entirely, but if there are multiple prior instances as well, should that be something that is taken into account to determine an appropriate punishment rather than just going by what is happening in the current game? Sorry if this was addressed already and I missed it or forgot, just something I thought of now based on the current discussion.

How unfeasible it is. You just ran a game for the first time, would you have felt comfortable doling out a punishment based on past behavior? Especially when the context of what we are talking about here goes back to well before you were in this community? People are aware of other people's histories on the moderation side but it's never going to be able to get to a place where you can actually record every person's infraction always. Obviously you can but that's not a request you are going to find honored from unpaid volunteers who are in a community to play a game.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be upfront and say that I don't think that priority penalties carry this heavier weight that seem to be expected, especially as the community is dwindling and the chances that someone can get into the next game even with a penalty is still possible.
We discussed explicitly barring them from the next game, but a priority impact is more likely to carry weight as it carries over between multiple games. We still always have people on the replacement list to begin with so I'm not sure it's a fair statement to say it would result in nothing. Perhaps we could do a mixture of both though - a priority impact and they can't sign-up for the next game.

But, in particular, I'm reading over this past interaction and I don't understand how this new system is somehow better or how this does not read like you're just trying to silence people who have problems during a game. Under the new system as you see it, you've outlined this as what would have happened in that previous game :

The person who was already receiving warnings would not have received anything greater within that game, while the person who was advocating for something harsher to be done would be hit with a warning for annoying you.
Rover would have received the same warning he did at that time. What would improve is the enforcement of the rules, which I have already said has been lacking in the past including by me. Rover was advocating for banning a member from our community entirely - not simply a modkill. Neither him nor you nor anyone else for that matter have suggested that thus far as an expected outcome.

And let's be clear, that is what was happening and we can see that based on your own words here :

You downplay the impact that these had on the player, call them tame, and even put insults in quotes to signify that no one should have cared and how ridiculous they are for being insulted. You all keep being surprised that people feel that you sound bitter in these conversations or like people are being ignored or shut down, when you openly say things like this to someone's face who feels insulted.
Again, I already admitted that I have made mistakes in the past. I'm sorry that we can't all be perfect. My mistake then was downplaying "doofus" as an insult, because to me it would not phase me. What I'm saying now is it would be treated like an insult and taken at face value. How is that not an improvement in approach and exactly the expectation we're trying to set? This is all separate from backseat moderation in that pushing for something beyond the outlined expectation and trying to bring in evidence from games that not only did I have nothing to do with but that were from a year or more prior is not a reasonable thing to do when arguing for a specific outcome. Again, in most examples I would say the argument wouldn't have even taken place with the new approach as there would have been an in-thread warning for the doofus comment and a penalty would be incurred.

And telling someone "Don't bring up issues you have in a game or else we'll punish you. Drop out and talk about it when it can't affect the game." is not really a choice that we want to push for when aggressive behavior and an inability to enforce the rules has been an ongoing issue for so long. I don't see how your interpretation of this system is in any way better than what existed in previous games outside of just telling people to stop bothering you.
Please show me where I said to not bring up issues someone has in the game or they'll be punished. I stated that after issues have been addressed, repeatedly spamming someone to try and alter the outcome is not a good approach. Do you think people that get warned on Era spam a specific mod repeatedly with why they should change the outcome and have it actually work? No, they have a process to submit issues through that can be reviewed by a multitude of people. Why should our system be any different? The issue is some of those people that need to review it might be playing in the very game, and we can't exactly hit the pause button, have everyone convene in a side thread, litigate the issue, monitor that no one slips any game pertinent info in, and then go back to the game.

Alright, let me pump the brakes on one thing, because you seem to be confused about what our conversation is about.

If Season 14 had the same issue as Season 13, then the basic premise of revisiting anything about Season 13 is to understand where you're at on it now, and what worked or didn't work about that position through the duration of S14. I'm not here to relitigate any actual incident from S13, so I appreciate it if you don't suggest anything like that. I quoted something from your comments in S13's review to compare it to what you're saying now, which is very similar, and have opened questions to give you an opportunity to expand on your current feeling on it.
And I have expanded on my feelings. Again, complaints should be taken at face value - that doesn't mean though that a player has the right to argue against the form of punishment if it falls in line with the expectation or if they themselves were punished and feel it should not have occurred. If you want a comparison to the most recent season - both Sorian and Stu used language that under the new approach would be met with the appropriate punishment as determined by the number of infractions at that point. This was not done at the time, but with the new approach to enforcement would in the future.

You're not getting it. It's not that reciprocated aggression doesn't deserve punishments on both ends. The point is that you are approaching this entire topic with zero compassion, insisting that most people aren't innocent, people weaponize the complaints, and suggesting that a slighted party just leaves if a gamerunner makes the wrong decision (and at the rate you're going, how could they make the right decision?). That's a massive red flag guiding your policy decisions.
If I'm saying that all complaints about aggression will be taken seriously and insults will be moderated, what exactly am I missing? I find it offensive that you're making presumptions that you have no clue about. I have absolutely not said "most people aren't innocent" and I would appreciate if you wouldn't put words into my mouth.

A warning is the most common and harshest standard you guys have, since no one wants to modkill. It's a punishment, and I'd really urge you reconsider what you think of as "excessive" if a player feels that moderation doesn't understand the complaint they're making. That is going to require compassion from mods and maybe a thicker skin.

And again, I'm not here to relitigate a past game. This isn't about questioning my actions, I'm not in charge in this community.
Again, you're referring to the past. The entire point is making changes for the future.

We don't have anything tracking exact infractions. If someone has the capacity to come up with a way to track all of them in an efficient manner and to find a reasonable scale for punishment over time that's something that can be discussed, but up to this point has not been brought up.

I don't see anything wrong with suggesting most of that on it's own if I'm being honest, as someone's history in past games should be factored into these decisions. As an example of that, if someone ends up receiving multiple warnings every single game, but never to the point of quite hitting the point of being replaced/modkilled, then I think it's completely understandable for users who play with that person to be frustrated and want something stricter to happen.

The main issue that I have with Natiko's telling of this is the way that he's downplaying and belittling Rover's feelings on how he feels when he felt insulted. Natiko's post wasn't "This person asked for too much." It directly called out how the insults belong in quotes, how tame they are, and how the person insulted is making a big deal out of nothing. That's dismissive and acts like the people insulted are at fault for being insulted, and it does lead me to wonder how these private conversations actually go if this is what's aired out publicly, as the goal should be to de-escalate the situation and assure them that the staff has their back and believes them.
And when repeatedly - over and over - it has been said that the new approach is meant to avoid the exact thing you're referencing (me not thinking "doofus" was a true insult being an example)? I did work to de-escalate the situation and assured Rover that steps had been taken. You're more than welcome to read the private messages as they were posted in the review thread last time. My mistake was in downplaying the impact doofus had, which is why I stated above a full punishment would have been doled out in the future based on the number of infractions.

---

Rover Ketkat You both seem to be locked into discussing past examples. The point of updating the rules, working to enforce them consistently, and writing a guide to that exact effect is meant to not only shore up the rules but to shore up the enforcement. What exactly do you both feel is missing from that approach? You can point to a past example and say you don't have confidence based on that, but the entire point and goal here is to do better in the future. What do you think is missing from our current approach in order to do better in the future? If we miss the mark or someone makes an error in judgement in the future then it makes perfect sense to course correct, but you're talking about theoreticals that haven't happened yet and working from the assumption that surely they will happen just as frequently as before. What steps are we not currently discussing that you think have to occur in order to make future enforcement work better?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
How unfeasible it is. You just ran a game for the first time, would you have felt comfortable doling out a punishment based on past behavior? Especially when the context of what we are talking about here goes back to well before you were in this community? People are aware of other people's histories on the moderation side but it's never going to be able to get to a place where you can actually record every person's infraction always. Obviously you can but that's not a request you are going to find honored from unpaid volunteers who are in a community to play a game.
If there was a list somewhere that said Player A has been warned for aggression in X amount of games, and they were being overly aggressive again in my game, I would not feel bad making a decision based on that history. What would make it seem unfeasible to you? It would require some extra work from the people in charge of the community, but I dont see why we couldn't keep a record of instances like that in previous games, we have lots of data being kept in spreadsheets already, this would just be another thing to keep track of in my eyes.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, I never called for Sorian to be "banned from this community". Where is this coming from?

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If there was a list somewhere that said Player A has been warned for aggression in X amount of games, and they were being overly aggressive again in my game, I would not feel bad making a decision based on that history. What would make it seem unfeasible to you? It would require some extra work from the people in charge of the community, but I dont see why we couldn't keep a record of instances like that in previous games, we have lots of data being kept in spreadsheets already, this would just be another thing to keep track of in my eyes.

"Just another thing to keep track of" is already a big deal. There is a lot to keep track of already. The spreadsheets don't have upkeep via magic. That is now getting someone to keep on the sheet as well as follow every game and also follow-up with every moderator to make sure they know about any private things that may have happened.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, I never called for Sorian to be "banned from this community". Where is this coming from?

Let's put an X on this now and change all mentions to you saying that you wanted me modkilled over warnings (and you did say that yourself in the last review thread). I don't feel like it's conducive to figure out the black box of private messages when two people disagree. My original point to Ket still stands with that substitution and we aren't here to talk about this, we are here to talk about stuff for this community and the people in it going forward.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
"Just another thing to keep track of" is already a big deal. There is a lot to keep track of already. The spreadsheets don't have upkeep via magic. That is now getting someone to keep on the sheet as well as follow every game and also follow-up with every moderator to make sure they know about any private things that may have happened.
I'm sure there can be a way to work something like this out, and yes I understand there would be extra work involved with it, but it might be worth it in the long run. Judging everything just on a single game could allow people to continue to act in a way that consistently gets them warned in every game, but not replaced or modkilled, even though it happens in multiple games.

I'll try to add more when I get home, only able to put down quick thoughts on my phone for now.