• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Sawneeks

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I would have warned you at some point for the long string of posts that you had there. You were poking and prodding at Stuart for hours and hours, escalating over time to the point that he just didn't want to respond to you further, and then you poked and prodded more. While some manipulation is going to be part of a game that centers around deceit and lies, it is possible to take it too far and upsetting people to the point that they sub out of a game is too far.

These are just some of them in a short time that were all directed at Stuart, and he even says during the game that he snapped because of the way that he was talked to the previous day by multiple people. If it was only a few comments like this, it might not get under people's skin as much. But, when it continues like this for multiple real life days, it's going way too far. And even after Stuart sub'd out, there were still people taking shots at him throughout the game.

Aggression might not be as straight forward as misgendering, but the level of hostility in these games has genuinely been brought up time and time again and I'm not sure we've ever taken any real concrete steps towards resolving this. I think that most aggression issues are a little more straightforward than they're given credit, and to add onto this, I don't really feel that Stan's aggressiveness is as endearing as some of you. It just leads to situations like that first line I quoted in my last post that just exacerbate things and are completely uncalled for.

I'll also second what Fantomas said above where I'll talk about mafia games to my girlfriend plenty when I'm in them, but I always tell her not to join as the hostility tends to suck the fun out at a certain point.
I agree with you that there were several times that people should have been warned during that game for the way talk was going and how it continued on.

This somewhat ties back around to the discussion about uniformity in handing out warnings, punishments, and so on but I again fall back on the topic of subjectivity. There are several Mods that take turns assisting in games and each has their own way of looking at the above situation (and other similar situations) so the handling of that punishment would end up being different each time.

This is also why I keep asking for what the line is when it comes to aggression. It's much simpler to point to what the line would be and to answer whether or not a post crossed it especially considering the different people we have that handle punishments.

If anything I do think from all of this conversation that we on the back end of games do need to be far more proactive in terms of enforcing rules and warnings. But this answer also isn't something you and several other's are looking for since it is simply talk at this point. I'm just not sure what to change in terms of rules.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I would have warned you at some point for the long string of posts that you had there. You were poking and prodding at Stuart for hours and hours, escalating over time to the point that he just didn't want to respond to you further, and then you poked and prodded more. While some manipulation is going to be part of a game that centers around deceit and lies, it is possible to take it too far and upsetting people to the point that they sub out of a game is too far.

These are just some of them in a short time that were all directed at Stuart, and he even says during the game that he snapped because of the way that he was talked to the previous day by multiple people. If it was only a few comments like this, it might not get under people's skin as much. But, when it continues like this for multiple real life days, it's going way too far. And even after Stuart sub'd out, there were still people taking shots at him throughout the game.

Aggression might not be as straight forward as misgendering, but the level of hostility in these games has genuinely been brought up time and time again and I'm not sure we've ever taken any real concrete steps towards resolving this. I think that most aggression issues are a little more straightforward than they're given credit, and to add onto this, I don't really feel that Stan's aggressiveness is as endearing as some of you. It just leads to situations like that first line I quoted in my last post that just exacerbate things and are completely uncalled for.

I'll also second what Fantomas said above where I'll talk about mafia games to my girlfriend plenty when I'm in them, but I always tell her not to join as the hostility tends to suck the fun out at a certain point.

Ok great, trying to weaponize my bad faith posts doesn't really answer the question though. How do you write this down in a rule? What is the actual hard wording you use that a new mod could look at and make a well informed decision with when handing out a warning? I'm not the person who can write that, I see all that above and if someone had said it all to me, I shrug it off.

OP
OP
Sawneeks

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is also a bit of a dissenting opinion but I think things such as misgendering, missing the 10 post count rule, and aggression should all be warned in-thread and not in PM. It not only reinforces those rules but it shows we are taking them seriously.

If we're going to be harder on the rules I think we should do it universally, not piecemeal.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Aggression is not as easy considering it's highly subjective.
I understand the point about some people being able to tolerate it more than others, but so what?

Sorian doesn't mind having any pronoun used for him, but others do, hence why it's against the rules to misgender someone. Some people might not mind being told to "shut the fuck up" and being called a "petulant child" in the same post, but others would, and yet that isn't against the rules.

The only time I can think of that I've seen hostility result in any actual punishment in my time around here was in Love Boat 3. That incident was clearly crossing a line, but that was a pretty obvious one because it was more than just a toe over the line, it was basically running full speed and jumping over it.

I'm not saying that people should have been modkilled for their posts directed at Stu in HvV2, but I am saying that there should be a way to differentiate between what is a personal attack and what is not, and when a public warning should go out or when a replacement/modkill should happen, and that we should try to get that figured out and have every gamerunner follow it the same way to stay as consistent as possible.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of rules regarding misgendering how does this look so far? Not final of course considering we are still discussing type of punishment, number of warnings before removal, etc.

WIP Updated:

Current formatting of the rule:
Personally I think those should be broken out into seperate rules. I feel like each point being made there is important enough to have it's own rule.

Edit: By this I mean, one rule for text formatting, one rule for pronouns, and one rule for outside-game activity talk.

OP
OP
Sawneeks

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I understand the point about some people being able to tolerate it more than others, but so what?

Sorian doesn't mind having any pronoun used for him, but others do, hence why it's against the rules to misgender someone. Some people might not mind being told to "shut the fuck up" and being called a "petulant child" in the same post, but others would, and yet that isn't against the rules.

The only time I can think of that I've seen hostility result in any actual punishment in my time around here was in Love Boat 3. That incident was clearly crossing a line, but that was a pretty obvious one because it was more than just a toe over the line, it was basically running full speed and jumping over it.

I'm not saying that people should have been modkilled for their posts directed at Stu in HvV2, but I am saying that there should be a way to differentiate between what is a personal attack and what is not, and when a public warning should go out or when a replacement/modkill should happen, and that we should try to get that figured out and have every gamerunner follow it the same way to stay as consistent as possible.
I agree with you 100% here, Fanto. I do think that the answer to aggression, whether the person thinks it's aggressive or not, should be 'tough, it was still too far'.

This is what we currently have in terms of rules
6. Mafia can be an intense and stressful game at times with situations becoming heated. Despite this, being overly hostile towards your fellow players is not allowed. If a player is caught name calling, using slurs, and/or other aggressive behaviors determined by the gamerunner they will be warned. If these behaviors continue despite the warning that player will be modkilled. No exceptions.

The lack of clarity on what is and isn't agressive can be highlighted by what Sorian said above. He wouldn't have warned for those posts, some would have. In order to make sure it's something the majority follows we need to clarify the rules (and on our end, enforce them) so that all instances of these are stopped.

OP
OP
Sawneeks

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think those should be broken out into seperate rules. I feel like each point being made there is important enough to have it's own rule.

Edit: By this I mean, one rule for text formatting, one rule for pronouns, and one rule for outside-game activity talk.
Something more along the lines of this?
X. Please do not refer to, or discuss, player activity outside of this thread, for the sake of the game's integrity.

X. Please respect all of your fellow players. We ask that you respect a player's personal pronoun and be aware of accessibility when using non-default text.

X. Failure to adhere to a player's personal pronoun will result in a public warning. On the second offense another public warning will be given and a penalty will be applied to the offender's game priority. On a third offense that player will be removed from the game.

OP
OP
Sawneeks

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Sawneeks

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hm. I have several more thoughts on all of this but I want other's to keep sharing their opinion and thoughts.

We all really do want to improve our community for the better and for it to be a place that everyone can feel comfortable playing in. I know I've been bringing in dissenting or negative comments towards how to deal with aggression but I don't mean it to shut down discussion or to stop it. A lot of those thoughts come from a place of worry in how best to implement these as well as what specifically to change. Perhaps the answer here isn't caution or to wait for a perfect answer....

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Something more along the lines of this?
Yeah, I just think that distinguishes each rule a bit more.
I agree with you 100% here, Fanto. I do think that the answer to aggression, whether the person thinks it's aggressive or not, should be 'tough, it was still too far'.

This is what we currently have in terms of rules

The lack of clarity on what is and isn't agressive can be highlighted by what Sorian said above. He wouldn't have warned for those posts, some would have. In order to make sure it's something the majority follows we need to clarify the rules (and on our end, enforce them) so that all instances of these are stopped.
Yeah, it's like, I've seen people be banned on this forum for name-calling and aggressive behavior, and yet we don't really punish very often for it in games. It could be that some situations were deescalated with private warnings or things that weren't visible to the rest of the players, so perhaps just moving to public warnings for these kinds of things in general could help with transparency I suppose.
For reference, this is Era's rules and policies on a similar topic. Their's is far more comprehensive than what we have but even they include wording on how situations have to be dealt with as they come.

Here is Mafia Universe's code of conduct as well. I'm unsure how their forum is in terms of friendly vs not-friendly but it could hopefully give us a better look at rules that relate to mafia instead of just a forum in general.
Looking at the MU code of conduct rules could definitely help to improve our own I think. There's definitely some hard lines they seem to be drawing with quotes like these:
Lowering your own standards will not grant you the right to mistreat others. Treat others as they wish to be treated: If someone makes a reasonable request to you, please comply.
Do not degrade your fellow guests and fellow players by calling them stupid or bad.
You may receive moderation based on a series of objectionable posts or messages even if none of them are individually egregious. Rude and obnoxious posts may not individually merit moderator intervention, but they are not tolerated as a pattern of behavior.
Among a lot of other things that I see they touch on that our rules really don't.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
But yeah, I do want to hear what others have to say about this as well. I feel like if we put our heads together, and look at some examples like how MU deals with similar topics, we could probably figure out some lines that are not allowed to be crossed in regards to hostility.

Personally, I definitely think all three of those quotes I pulled from MU could be workshopped into our rules. The first one is just basic stuff, like if someone says "Hey, stop doing this thing to me because it makes me uncomfortable" then they should be respected as long as it isn't an unreasonable request. Calling people stupid or bad at the game is also something we could probably make clear, because that's pretty uncalled for. And then finally, sure I'll call out Sorian directly and say that last rule I quoted basically applies to that series of quotes that Ket pulled from him in HvV2.

Edit: I also just realized that the first quote from Sorian that Ket pulled in that post is literally telling Stu that he is bad at the game. I feel like that is something we should stamp out.

Last edited:

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
I didn't feel like Sorian's posts warranted a warning, but I did feel like Stan's did and I regret not warning him, I even told Stu about that.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok great, trying to weaponize my bad faith posts doesn't really answer the question though. How do you write this down in a rule? What is the actual hard wording you use that a new mod could look at and make a well informed decision with when handing out a warning? I'm not the person who can write that, I see all that above and if someone had said it all to me, I shrug it off.

I'm not really trying to weaponize them against you, but you asked how I felt about them and the truth is that it did often feel like it was going too far. I get that it was largely coming from a bad faith place of being scum and wanting to aggravate town members into making mistakes, but you have to understand that no one actually in the game knows that these are bad faith besides you and your team. Stuart was very clear about how much these posts bothered him, and the line was pushed further. Which brings me to the last line here, it's not about how you feel, but how the person who is insulted feels. If they feel that you have crossed the line talking with them, then you most likely have.

As for a specific rule for a new moderator to look at on their own, it's important to just hit on all the topics.

Player Behavior

Treat your other players and gamerunner with respect. If someone tells or shows you that something is bothering them within the game, believe them. And treat them how they wanted to be treated. Everyone has different thresholds and they deserve to have that respected.

Do not use slurs or bigoted language.

Do not belittle others for playing the game in a different manner than you. Some people might be new or have unorthodox methods of playing, but they do not need to be mocked for this.

While the nature of the game means that disagreements will happen, these disagreements should be made as polite as possible. Mafia can be a stressful game and it's okay to get upset at the game, but do not take it out on others. If someone is breaking the rules, alert the gamerunner or staff, but try and take a brief break before diving back in if you are feeling heated.

------

This is a very rough outline that's only slightly more specific than the current rules, but I don't think the rule system on it's own will ever be enough for a new mod to dive into these games and understand where the line is for various issues. I can have one for you if you give me a day or two, but I'd recommend having a sort of mod outline that goes into further detail into all the various rules, specific scenarios that have popped up and recommended actions on them. It can't ever be 100% accurate, but I've written similar things for the Mental Health community and it can help to have something concrete to fall back on when you're unsure of something or have questions you didn't even think to ask.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Believe it or not i have something of a system for myself that may fit what what yall are after in terms of measuring whats appropriate or innapropriate hostility in what is a fundamentally hostile game. (Its how iv managed to be probably the most volatile player here and still have any friends left.)

I typically measure what im saying by whether im attacking a player based on thier position, thier behaviour, or thier person.

Position would be thier arguments or stance they are putting forward. "Thats stupid"
Bahaviour would be how they are composing themselves in whatever they are trying to push. "Youre acting stupid"
Person is the player themselves. "You're stupid"

Basically i find any attack on Position fair game, its the basis of all mafia after all and the games would cease to function in any entertaining way without them.
And similarly i find any attack on someones Person unnaceptable, its just hurtful and unessesary.
Its behaviour where shit gets murky, a good example is my own comment against Stu in HvV2, i said he was acting like a petulant child. I felt that thats exactly how he was behaving, but at the same time that combined with telling him to shut the fuck up was probably too much given that he was getting plenty of flak already.

This is still murky and subjective, and i dont have a way to narrow things down further, but i think its a very good framework to start with when trying to measure the acceptability of varrying levels of hostility.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
But yeah, I do want to hear what others have to say about this as well. I feel like if we put our heads together, and look at some examples like how MU deals with similar topics, we could probably figure out some lines that are not allowed to be crossed in regards to hostility.

Personally, I definitely think all three of those quotes I pulled from MU could be workshopped into our rules. The first one is just basic stuff, like if someone says "Hey, stop doing this thing to me because it makes me uncomfortable" then they should be respected as long as it isn't an unreasonable request. Calling people stupid or bad at the game is also something we could probably make clear, because that's pretty uncalled for. And then finally, sure I'll call out Sorian directly and say that last rule I quoted basically applies to that series of quotes that Ket pulled from him in HvV2.

Edit: I also just realized that the first quote from Sorian that Ket pulled in that post is literally telling Stu that he is bad at the game. I feel like that is something we should stamp out.
Yeah I can get behind doing it this way, where we have a basic rule to be nice to each other and not insult others in general with maybe some specific examples of stuff that goes way too far (such as calling someone stupid or an idiot) and if someone feels like a comment towards them makes them uncomfortable then they should speak up and address it with the mods and even the player saying those comments and see if something can be worked out peacefully. If it can't then punish the offending player accordingly especially if the issue has been addressed and they continue doing it.

Speaking of there was one or two instances in the game where I felt uncomfortable by someone's comment towards me, but I didn't speak up because I'm actually extremely non-confrontational (hilarious I know right?) and I didn't want to make a big deal of it, but it did bother me. If we have rules such as this in place in the future, i might consider speaking up more.

empressdonna

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland, United Kingdom
I want to talk honestly about this though it's not really going to help add anything to the rules, it's more just how I have felt in some previous games.

While I've only subbed out once so far, there have been a couple of times in games where I get to the point that I'm feeling physically upset. Especially so when I'm not the best at getting my points across ^^; but that's not an aggression thing, that's just me.

I know it's a game about deceit and lies as well as pushing people's buttons but regardless of if it is a costume game or a regular game, we are all still people behind our 'mafia personas' and some things might hurt people more than others ^^.

Aeleus

Nov 29, 2018
I think in a decent amount of cases these things are just black and white, Stan took part it name calling and should have received a public warning for it, it was the failure of those in modchat for not calling it out sooner, I don't know when Geno contacted Stuart but if he did it while Stan was in the game then even if Stu had already dropped out, Stan should have received a warning.

6. Mafia can be an intense and stressful game at times with situations becoming heated. Despite this, being overly hostile towards your fellow players is not allowed. If a player is caught name calling, using slurs, and/or other aggressive behaviors determined by the gamerunner they will be warned. If these behaviors continue despite the warning that player will be modkilled. No exceptions.
Sorian's case is more grey so up to the gamerunner but I feel like they knew the end result would be Stu dropping out so I'd of warned them.

Ultimately I'm not sure who this secrecy around dealing with aggression helps, certainly not the person who feels wronged and in the long term I don't feel like it helps the aggressor. I'd never want to make a post which actually made someone feel uncomfortable in any way other than feeling pressured but there are a few times where I've worried I might have crossed a line but given I've never been contacted about it I just don't know. If the aggressor isn't told when they've gone too far, how can we realistically expect them to improve?

Personally after Mini mafia V I almost quit partly for some of the mistakes I made but also due to the open hostility displayed by several members, I decided to continue playing and think it was a really good move, this community is great and I really hope it can improve.
------

Unrelated but if we put in place some kind priority penalty, how much should it be? I guess the amount depend on whether we've implemented priority degrading over time.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
Stu said he dropped out mostly because of health problems though. I do stand by the decision for Sorian, for Stan I fucked up.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Updating the rules to be more specific for acceptable behaviour like MU seems the best way to solve this.

As evidenced above, relying on gamerunner discretion is going to end in disagreements. While you'll never have no disagreement with a call made, having the rules be a bit more specific would help keep consistency and relies less on a gamerunner's opinion which I don't think should be the most important factor when it comes to aggressive behaviour..

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Still catching up, but:

I hate to bring up the last review thread again, but there was some discussion about players reaching via PM to ask for moderation too. Unsure about this one to be honest, but shouldn't it be better to do it all publicly in the game thread? I'd be inclined to believe that transparency should triumph everything else when dealing with moderation affairs.
The problem with all warnings being public has already been addressed, but I want to bring something else to the table here. Sometimes as a gamerunner we contact a player to talk to them. Not to officially warn them, but just to get them out of the thread for a cool down, or to let them know, perhaps, that while THEY don't feel like they're being too aggressive, someone is perceiving them as such.

Or sometimes we do issue a private warning if we know the player may be likely to push back - maybe they're heated, maybe they're just someone who pushes back, who knows (I am someone who pushes back on everything, so I categorize myself here). If these are done publicly, they may end up derailing the thread or the problem might escalate and that's definitely a path to replacement or modkill when instead something can just be handled privately.

I don't mean to shrug off the suggestions here. I agree that some things need to change and that we've had some repeated issues. But I'm also telling you, from the perspective of someone who has been in all roles possible here - player, gamerunner, mod support, even Era mod - there are some solutions that are simply untenable.

I firmly agree on public warnings/public action for misgendering. That way it's in the open and it serves as a reminder to all other players. For aggression? It has to be a softer decision. Sometimes it's best to step in and say something publicly and sometimes it's not. I have been, as a gamerunner, in both situations. It absolutely needed to be a choice based on participants and circumstances. Natiko and I are in agreement on this, I think - and perhaps because I know we have both seen occasions when things needed to be handled publicly and moments when they couldn't be.

And we cannot have other players always reporting problems publicly in thread because backseat modding is a very real problem that can create confusion, ill-feeling, and even impact game mechanics. Players reminding each other not to misgender or saying "calm down" though isn't backseat modding. Those things are fine and encouraged. There are moments when it's better for other players to say "hey, y'all chill out" than for it to come from on high as it were.

But we do need some solution. I'm thinking through some ideas but I don't know if they are tenable.

For reference, this is Era's rules and policies on a similar topic. Their's is far more comprehensive than what we have but even they include wording on how situations have to be dealt with as they come.

Here is Mafia Universe's code of conduct as well. I'm unsure how their forum is in terms of friendly vs not-friendly but it could hopefully give us a better look at rules that relate to mafia instead of just a forum in general.

Oof, there are some people at MU who are definitely hostile in ways that wouldn't fly here at all and moderation largely seems hands off in at least the games I've played. The... I think it was the finals? when I played, one scum player finally subbed out because a teammate was overtly abusive in scumchat.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
In fact, looking now at MU's code of conduct, I think it's pretty clear their lines are WAY different than ours. If you have to have a rule that says "if someone asks you to stop discussing graphic sexual or violent content, you should stop" then uh

It makes me wonder, though, if some of this (not all; there are definitely moments of open hostility when things get heated) does just come down to personality differences. For instance: Stan I and both just swear a lot. It's like our punctuation. It's how we talk. Having been in voice chat with Stan, can also confirm this is just how we talk. So I know sometimes with Stan, someone has said he's got an attitude or whatever and I tend to do a doubletake because I don't see it at all; that's just Stan. (I didn't see this instance in HvV2 that's being referenced; as support and mostly OM team there, I only read closely when there was something I had to address, so I'm speaking generally).

So part of this question becomes: how can we reconcile personality quirks with behavior rules?

And I do mean actual quirks here - like just swearing a lot. Using myself as an example, I get incredibly intense about games and should probably be told to dial it back more. I can think of times when I got really heated and intense and should have dialed it back. Yes, I am a very serious player but I also know the lines. Sometimes it takes intervention though to snap someone out of it. That's not a quirk; that's crossing a line.

So how do we reconcile?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
In fact, looking now at MU's code of conduct, I think it's pretty clear their lines are WAY different than ours. If you have to have a rule that says "if someone asks you to stop discussing graphic sexual or violent content, you should stop" then uh

It makes me wonder, though, if some of this (not all; there are definitely moments of open hostility when things get heated) does just come down to personality differences. For instance: Stan I and both just swear a lot. It's like our punctuation. It's how we talk. Having been in voice chat with Stan, can also confirm this is just how we talk. So I know sometimes with Stan, someone has said he's got an attitude or whatever and I tend to do a doubletake because I don't see it at all; that's just Stan. (I didn't see this instance in HvV2 that's being referenced; as support and mostly OM team there, I only read closely when there was something I had to address, so I'm speaking generally).

So part of this question becomes: how can we reconcile personality quirks with behavior rules?

And I do mean actual quirks here - like just swearing a lot. Using myself as an example, I get incredibly intense about games and should probably be told to dial it back more. I can think of times when I got really heated and intense and should have dialed it back. Yes, I am a very serious player but I also know the lines. Sometimes it takes intervention though to snap someone out of it. That's not a quirk; that's crossing a line.

So how do we reconcile?
I'm about to head in to work so I'm not able to check back too much here quickly, but although I do also swear a lot, there is a difference here I think between just using profanity in posts and directing those frustrations towards players. If we want an example, I remember in LB3 when you were very harsh on Xbro and Reki for turboing themselves, and even though I agreed that was not the best decision to make, it still felt overly hostile and I believe you were warned publicly for that if I remember right.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
I can see the reason why having private warnings for certain situations and players might be a good idea.

We don't have to tell everyone about everything that happens but maybe at the very least you can let the upset player know that you are talking with the offending party privately so they know something is being done?

Part of me wondered if we could have three way chats for situations where there is a major dispute between two players that could be solved via such a method (by having a mod there as the mediator and to make sure the game isn't discussed) but most people would probably do better just talking with the mods privately so they get a chance to cool down and so things don't get heated in that chat.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to head in to work so I'm not able to check back too much here quickly, but although I do also swear a lot, there is a difference here I think between just using profanity in posts and directing those frustrations towards players. If we want an example, I remember in LB3 when you were very harsh on Xbro and Reki for turboing themselves, and even though I agreed that was not the best decision to make, it still felt overly hostile and I believe you were warned publicly for that if I remember right.
Oh man that was probably my worst moment, period. And that's a good example between quirk and line-crossing.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
firstly
For instance: Stan I and both just swear a lot. It's like our punctuation. It's how we talk.
y'know monkey, sometimes it feels like you just get me more than most people i know in real life do.
I firmly agree on public warnings/public action for misgendering. That way it's in the open and it serves as a reminder to all other players. For aggression? It has to be a softer decision. Sometimes it's best to step in and say something publicly and sometimes it's not. I have been, as a gamerunner, in both situations. It absolutely needed to be a choice based on participants and circumstances. Natiko and I are in agreement on this, I think - and perhaps because I know we have both seen occasions when things needed to be handled publicly and moments when they couldn't be.
I can definitely attest to the usefulness of Mods reaching out to players privately to warn them about mounting aggression, or to just give them a different outlet for mounting frustrations, and i think officially incorporating that into whatever process yall codify would be a great help.
As for the choice of public or private warnings, i think it could stem to the context of the mounting hostility and whether its coming from one individual or multiple players, intentionally or not, egging each other on.
Mafia is a game with no small measure of psychological warfare, and intentionally aggravating other players is a common strategy, i think in instances where this is taking place a public warning would be far more useful than a private one, as even if only one player is really needing a warning, both sides would benfit from being told to turn it down.

So how do we reconcile?
This is kind of why i brought up my thing of attacks of position/behaviour/person earlier.
The attempt to list increasingly specific types of inappropriate hostile action (like in the MU example) seems like a fundamentally flawed approach to this issue, as getting into specific do's and do-nots cant ever functionally apply to a game where there are about a billion ways these hostile actions and the circumstances that motivated them may play out. Expecting the players and mods to remember and follow a long list of specifics just strikes me as an untenable solution.

I think a more basic framework for judging hostile action is appropriate, something that can readily apply to virtually anything said in these games, that can more easily be minded by both the game runners and the players even in the heat of a running argument, and that can be easily communicated to new players.

The process i have aint all that great, one of yall smart fucks could probably come up with something better, but im one of the most verbally aggressive players here and this stopped me saying no few regretful things. I think its at least a good start.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
also its 2 am so im only 80% certain those words above make sense.

they felt pretty smart when i typed them at least.

i dunno

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still catching up, but:

The problem with all warnings being public has already been addressed, but I want to bring something else to the table here. Sometimes as a gamerunner we contact a player to talk to them. Not to officially warn them, but just to get them out of the thread for a cool down, or to let them know, perhaps, that while THEY don't feel like they're being too aggressive, someone is perceiving them as such.

Or sometimes we do issue a private warning if we know the player may be likely to push back - maybe they're heated, maybe they're just someone who pushes back, who knows (I am someone who pushes back on everything, so I categorize myself here). If these are done publicly, they may end up derailing the thread or the problem might escalate and that's definitely a path to replacement or modkill when instead something can just be handled privately.

I don't mean to shrug off the suggestions here. I agree that some things need to change and that we've had some repeated issues. But I'm also telling you, from the perspective of someone who has been in all roles possible here - player, gamerunner, mod support, even Era mod - there are some solutions that are simply untenable.

And we cannot have other players always reporting problems publicly in thread because backseat modding is a very real problem that can create confusion, ill-feeling, and even impact game mechanics. Players reminding each other not to misgender or saying "calm down" though isn't backseat modding. Those things are fine and encouraged. There are moments when it's better for other players to say "hey, y'all chill out" than for it to come from on high as it were.

But we do need some solution. I'm thinking through some ideas but I don't know if they are tenable.

Oof, there are some people at MU who are definitely hostile in ways that wouldn't fly here at all and moderation largely seems hands off in at least the games I've played. The... I think it was the finals? when I played, one scum player finally subbed out because a teammate was overtly abusive in scumchat.

I feel like there are a lot of contradictory statements, but I want to start by addressing this idea of a conflict of personalities or that these are just quirks. These are 2 of the things directed at Stuart from Stan. Stan did apologize for the first one before saying the second.

How about shuting up because you are shitting up the thread and distracting from any other scum hunting?
Even if your right this is still excessively anti town play and your actively sabotaging your own goal.

Jesus fuck iv got a hard enough time aclimating to this hame already, dont need thing pedantic bs on top of it.

i cant ignore just you when your posts take up half the bloody thread and are the single reason catching up takes so long.
so nah, id rather tell you to shut the fuck up until you have anything to add beyond this fucking whining, your acting like a petulant child, stop it.

These are over the line in my opinion, and if you see these as part of some personality quirk and not the aggression that they are then there's likely a lot of bias in play that happens when you're trying to moderate friends and people that you're close to. I don't think that Stan is always over the line with his swearing by any means either, but even mild annoyance can feel much stronger to others when it's phrased like this.

Secondly, we both agree that misgendering is dehumanizing and insulting to the person that is misgendered, and it only compounds when it happens repeatedly. This has to be taken seriously and publicly because this is an issue that quite a few of us take seriously and our routinely ignored on. Aggression is no different, and is something that can poison the atmosphere of a game or leave people wondering when the next snap or insulting comment will come out of that person and whether it's worth it to continue to endure these comments while nothing is done. That does not mean that nothing is being done in all of these situations, but that the perception of players is that nothing has actually occurred besides the aggression or the misgendering.

You bring up being an Era mod here, and I'd rather not dive into that too closely as the situations are pretty different, but there's a reason that when people are warned or banned for anything that the actions are publicly displayed on the post. It lets people know that what this person said was unacceptable and it serves as both a guide for other users as well as information on where the line is for the person actioned.

I honestly don't believe that anything suggested so far has been untenable in the least outside of 100% public warnings which can just be amended to public when possible. If someone is in a mason chat insulting someone in the main game, they can get a warning or a calm down in that chat. And if there are concerns of backseat modding within the game itself, then there should probably be some way to alert gamerunner's or moderators who are watching the game. By the way, I don't actually know who is moderating these games besides gamerunners. Is that the Game Watchers tag in the discord? I know those people can pop in to close out the day or tell people to STOP until a gamerunner is around, but I was never really sure past that.

Looking over the rules and this concern of backseat modding or contesting a warning/needing another outlet to vent, could this be resolved by adding who to actually talk to about these situations in the rules somewhere? Whether that's the gamerunners, someone else watching the game, or whoever. We aren't an incredibly large community, and we are typically only running 1 game at a time so this shouldn't be too much of an extra burden on anyone if it's used.

On paper, I can understand the idea behind private warnings and giving people that space to vent directly instead of in the thread, but I genuinely don't feel that it's been working as this issue is so consistent and we need to shake it up in some way.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
These are over the line in my opinion, and if you see these as part of some personality quirk and not the aggression that they are then there's likely a lot of bias in play that happens when you're trying to moderate friends and people that you're close to. I don't think that Stan is always over the line with his swearing by any means either, but even mild annoyance can feel much stronger to others when it's phrased like this.
I think perhaps you're conflating the two different things I was referencing, or maybe I didn't make my point clearly. Let me explain further.

I think here, the "petulant child" is over the line, yes. We'll agree. I think we all, as a group, need to learn to let things go/ignore instead of engaging directly if something annoys us.

I think generalized swearing about a game state is not a big deal, and I raise that because it's the kind of thing that we do hear about sometimes as gamerunners. So while we are working to adjust rules, I think it's important to establish behaviors that are just part of how folks are and behaviors that aren't. Or, to put it another way, things that can and should be controlled vs asking people to change less impactful personality traits.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think perhaps you're conflating the two different things I was referencing, or maybe I didn't make my point clearly. Let me explain further.

I think here, the "petulant child" is over the line, yes. We'll agree. I think we all, as a group, need to learn to let things go/ignore instead of engaging directly if something annoys us.

I think generalized swearing about a game state is not a big deal, and I raise that because it's the kind of thing that we do hear about sometimes as gamerunners. So while we are working to adjust rules, I think it's important to establish behaviors that are just part of how folks are and behaviors that aren't. Or, to put it another way, things that can and should be controlled vs asking people to change less impactful personality traits.

I agree that the petulant child part of that is over the line, but I also think that the rest of those 2 posts is also over the line. Those aren't generalized swears about the game state, those are all directed at Stuart for bringing up his Muffin theory. In these 2 posts, he's told to shut up because he's shitting up the thread, spreading pedantic bs, told again to shut the fuck up, to stop whining, and then called a petulant child all within 2 posts that are dripping in anger and frustration.

Stan has been in these games and I've seen him post without having this level of aggression, and I've even seen people egg him on or act excited for him to get into spec chat to really tear into people. I don't really care if this is how Stan normally is or if it's just a facade for entertaining others, it's not the kind of stuff we should want in these games. It makes people uncomfortable to see this level of aggression over a game, and I'll personally say it makes me uncomfortable despite reading a few games with Stan in them.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, I don't actually know who is moderating these games besides gamerunners. Is that the Game Watchers tag in the discord? I know those people can pop in to close out the day or tell people to STOP until a gamerunner is around, but I was never really sure past that.
I'll have more to say on everything when I get home this evening and am not on mobile, but for now I'll just answer this with my experience running a game.

Yes, the Game Watchers are the ones in the private chat on Discord. They are there to help run the game like you mentioned, but also to provide advice for taking actions when need be. As far as I know, it is always up to the gamerunner at the end of the day, but if there are any concerns about how things should be handled, they are there to help with that. Situations get discussed and possible courses of action are suggested from everyone.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't have much to say on this line of discussion since it dives into things I absolutely won't get into in a public setting. To put it as simply and vaguely as I can, there are situations that arise in games on the moderation side that a general player probably has no knowledge of. People try and force their way into getting what they want. They can be manipulative and instigate. Airing all of these conversations out in a public setting, in the middle of a game, is absolutely not a smart choice in all circumstances.

There's lots of pulling of examples in which people are only quoting one person - it's much more often a combination of two or more people all getting heated. If three people get in an argument, and they all exchange words, do all three get yanked from the game? People are sitting here saying that "if Player A takes offense you should back them in all contexts". What if three people argue and exchange words and ONLY Player A is offended? Do you yank all three even though the other two weren't offended at all? Only Players B and C since A was the only one offended? What if Player A clearly baited the others for a reaction and then after getting exactly what they wanted decided it was time to cry foul for something they teed up? These situations are not always as black and white as they're being portrayed as.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
On the aggressiveness argument, I lean to agree with Sorian(shudders), it is a subjective matter, everyone agrees more or less on red lines, and mafia puts players and gamerunners under so much stress it fucks with your brain

As an example, some days nothing gets to me but others I have to do an herculean effort(and often fail) to not lash out in anger at perceived wrongdoings by other players

If even a single person can have different criteria on a day by day basis, that shows how hard or nearly impossible something like this is to codify beyond what already we have in the rules that can be summed up to "have empathy and common sense wihle playing"

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this argument have a point or are you two just taking turns to call me an asshole?

I don't think that you're an asshole, or a bad person because of any of this. You just get a bit too heated when playing games at times, and it's not something that is unique to you as it happens to most people at some point. I know that we're kind of zeroing in your posts right now, but this past game one of the main things that stood out to me was the level of hostility that Stuart faced and while it came from quite a few angles, I remembered yours and Sorian's the most so I wanted to mention them and not have to completely read through that monster of a thread again.

I'm really sorry if it comes off like I'm attacking you, it's just difficult not to seem that way when we need to figure out where lines are or aren't so that we can better understand how to best move forward.

I really don't have much to say on this line of discussion since it dives into things I absolutely won't get into in a public setting. To put it as simply and vaguely as I can, there are situations that arise in games on the moderation side that a general player probably has no knowledge of. People try and force their way into getting what they want. They can be manipulative and instigate. Airing all of these conversations out in a public setting, in the middle of a game, is absolutely not a smart choice in all circumstances.

There's lots of pulling of examples in which people are only quoting one person - it's much more often a combination of two or more people all getting heated. If three people get in an argument, and they all exchange words, do all three get yanked from the game? People are sitting here saying that "if Player A takes offense you should back them in all contexts". What if three people argue and exchange words and ONLY Player A is offended? Do you yank all three even though the other two weren't offended at all? Only Players B and C since A was the only one offended? What if Player A clearly baited the others for a reaction and then after getting exactly what they wanted decided it was time to cry foul for something they teed up? These situations are not always as black and white as they're being portrayed as.

I don't think that it's always black and white, and it won't ever really be outside of extreme examples. But, I think I can answer some of these hypotheticals.

Let's take this example of three different people in an argument that are called A, B, and C.

In the scenario where only A is offended, then I think it would be worth telling people to cool off and lay off the hostility. Both B and C are fine with what was said, but that does not somehow diminish the impact that this had on A. The goal of these games is to allow everyone to have an enjoyable experience within reason, and I don't think that something should have to hit a threshold for how many people in a conversation it affects before it can be addressed. In the event that A was also out of line, then they can and should be included in the message to lay off the hostility.

In the scenario that A is trying to bait people into saying something out of line and then trying to call in the moderators to action them, then that would fall outside the hostility and be more of an issue with trying to weaponize the rule system. Ultimately this is a game, and anyone trying to do that kind of thing isn't really playing in the spirit of the game.

Hypotheticals are difficult to really use for these examples as they tend to strip away all the nuance and details of the situation, but I don't think that it's impossible for us to figure out a way to manage these situations. I don't think that people need to be immediately removed for aggression, but I don't think we need to be afraid of reminding people to cool off when things are getting heated.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
This is also a bit of a dissenting opinion but I think things such as misgendering, missing the 10 post count rule, and aggression should all be warned in-thread and not in PM. It not only reinforces those rules but it shows we are taking them seriously.

If we're going to be harder on the rules I think we should do it universally, not piecemeal.

On principle I totally agree! But both Natiko and Monkey have presented good counter-arguments, and since I'm not familiar with PM discussions about moderation it's fair to admit that said discussions could derail the game thread and result in a bigger mess.

It seems everyone is in agreement about public warnings for misgendering though.

I don't really know much about these PM based conversations that are happening surrounding these issues, but when the majority of warnings are handed out entirely in private, it gives the impression that not much is really happening.

Ultimately I'm not sure who this secrecy around dealing with aggression helps, certainly not the person who feels wronged and in the long term I don't feel like it helps the aggressor.

But I also agree with both of you. I believe there're two suggestions that were interesting;
- Ketkat's idea of issuing warnings in the respective thread. The only caveat here would be how to replace/modkill someone that has made no infraction in the game thread without revealing too much.
- Stan's idea of incorporating these "PM friendly reminders" into the warning structure. This could be a bit too much for gamerunners to keep track of, but if they can write a short PM before the actual infraction and respective warning occurs, some of these situations could be avoided.

Oh, good idea! Fanto already highlighted all the nice bits of MU though. Of the rest I liked these, but they're already used here one way or another;

Thingyman said:
Make our community welcoming. Be the reason people come back.

Thingyman said:
If you moderated, it is not a punishment, and it is not an attempt to publicly or even privately shame you. It is our way of guiding you toward our expectations for the health of Mafia Universe.

I've read the Era guidelines in the past but I'll need to check them again when I have more time.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. The issue here is the rest of the players being in the dark about the actions that were taken. And even if you go with a "trust that the gamerunner will properly address the problems" approach, there's still plenty of room to disagree with the mod's choice, as we've seen multiple times.

Would you say that more defined rules around aggresion could help a bit with this?

The attempt to list increasingly specific types of inappropriate hostile action (like in the MU example) seems like a fundamentally flawed approach to this issue, as getting into specific do's and do-nots cant ever functionally apply to a game where there are about a billion ways these hostile actions and the circumstances that motivated them may play out. Expecting the players and mods to remember and follow a long list of specifics just strikes me as an untenable solution.

I think a more basic framework for judging hostile action is appropriate, something that can readily apply to virtually anything said in these games, that can more easily be minded by both the game runners and the players even in the heat of a running argument, and that can be easily communicated to new players.

Of course at the end of the day it will always be up to the gamerunner, but - apologies if I'm reading this wrong! - the way the rules are already worded is pretty much a "basic framework". Are you arguing for more or less defined phrasing?

Stan has been in these games and I've seen him post without having this level of aggression, and I've even seen people egg him on or act excited for him to get into spec chat to really tear into people. I don't really care if this is how Stan normally is or if it's just a facade for entertaining others, it's not the kind of stuff we should want in these games. It makes people uncomfortable to see this level of aggression over a game, and I'll personally say it makes me uncomfortable despite reading a few games with Stan in them.

In regards to this. Although I normally enjoy Stan's sense of humor, I do agree that celebrating it can unintentionally feel like cheering for aggressive behavior. Especially when we're talking about new players and how to make this a more inviting community for them. I guess it's kind of similar to the idea of "you may find this to be too much but I don't" and the important part there is how does the affected player feel. You said it already;

Which brings me to the last line here, it's not about how you feel, but how the person who is insulted feels. If they feel that you have crossed the line talking with them, then you most likely have.

But I'm honestly unsure on what to do in this case.

Unrelated but if we put in place some kind priority penalty, how much should it be? I guess the amount depend on whether we've implemented priority degrading over time.

This too. How much are we talking?

I totally get this, ironically enough because I haven't seen that side of the issue. But that can't be an excuse to keep things unchanged. So let's look at the PM/public debate from a different angle. What do you think about Stan's suggestion about incorporating PM warnings into a more regulated warning structure? Would that be too much to keep track of?

Last edited:

malus

Oct 30, 2017
Would a short timeout for "mild" aggression be helpful? Like, if things get heated and a person crosses the line, don't let them post for half an hour to cool down. Though obviously this would require the gamerunner be present when the argument happens.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think anyone argued against more defined rules. The issue is just how to operationalize that to leave space for the myriad of wild situations that have arisen. Because whew, myriad is an understand. I'm working on a longer post in draft but I gotta run errands so that'll come later.

Would a short timeout for "mild" aggression be helpful? Like, if things get heated and a person crosses the line, don't let them post for half an hour to cool down. Though obviously this would require the gamerunner be present when the argument happens.
So here's a couple things - and this speaks to public warnings, too, with an example.

First, we can't stop someone from posting but I like the general idea of a penalty box. We'd just have to figure out if they are replaced/killed if they ignore it. But second, in that example Fanto brought up from LB, I was publicly warned... but I didn't see it until I got later in the thread. It was like a page or something later and I was responding as I went. So public warnings or this kind of thing - putting someone in a box - has to also I think be coupled with a message, which I would have seen, whereas I didn't see the public message to cool it until x number of posts later.

So again a lot of this just comes down to working out details, how we handle things, etc. Anyhow, more when I return.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On mobile, so don't want to quote and crop Reki 's post for this one bit but there is a good answer for how to handle replacements based on behavior done elsewhere (like a secret chat). MU did (probably still does?) have a rule in place where it was just against the rules to both let players know why you were subbing out and for players to try and publicly solve out why someone subbed out. It prevents silly arguments like "Player A hates playing as scum and probably subbed out here because they rolled scum" (which we thankfully never fall into) but it also had the dual purpose of letting moderation action happen on secret threads without the rest of the players knowing what was up.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
man running errands in the midwest is a LOT harder when you're actually running/walking/not driving. GET WALKABLE, SMALLER AMERICAN CITIES

On mobile, so don't want to quote and crop Reki 's post for this one bit but there is a good answer for how to handle replacements based on behavior done elsewhere (like a secret chat). MU did (probably still does?) have a rule in place where it was just against the rules to both let players know why you were subbing out and for players to try and publicly solve out why someone subbed out. It prevents silly arguments like "Player A hates playing as scum and probably subbed out here because they rolled scum" (which we thankfully never fall into) but it also had the dual purpose of letting moderation action happen on secret threads without the rest of the players knowing what was up.
I do really like this rule of theirs to be honest - no speculation on or discussion of subbing out is allowed, period (until after a game or in spec, at least).

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
man running errands in the midwest is a LOT harder when you're actually running/walking/not driving. GET WALKABLE, SMALLER AMERICAN CITIES
I have no car up here in St. Paul, and it is amazing how easy it is to walk around here to do errands compared to where I used to live, almost everything I need is within like a half mile of my place lol.
Does this argument have a point or are you two just taking turns to call me an asshole?
As Ket also said, I do not think you're an asshole Stan, this isn't meant to be personal. It's just that the most recent example that sparked this discussion related to some of the posts you, and others, made that were directed towards Stu in HvV2 that a number of us seem to feel crossed a line somewhere, and it's given us the opportunity to try working out some new guidelines for gamerunners to follow.
This is literally backseat modding though, isn't it? Like, I understand you don't want to get into specifics, and your point about situations happening that all players are not privy to, but what you are talking about is already against the rules, right? If someone is PM'ing a gamerunner to try to get them to do something they want in regards to moderating the game, then that is like the definition of backseat modding.
But second, in that example Fanto brought up from LB, I was publicly warned... but I didn't see it until I got later in the thread. It was like a page or something later and I was responding as I went. So public warnings or this kind of thing - putting someone in a box - has to also I think be coupled with a message, which I would have seen, whereas I didn't see the public message to cool it until x number of posts later.
I think a combination of public/private warnings wouldn't be a bad idea. This lets the offending party know for sure that they have been officially warned in case they didn't see it in the thread like in your example, while also letting the other players know that a warning was issued for whatever the situation was and that it wasn't acceptable.
I do really like this rule of theirs to be honest - no speculation on or discussion of subbing out is allowed, period (until after a game or in spec, at least).
Yeah, I would be in favor of adding this rule, maybe under the section about not discussing activity that is outside of the thread. I know we had some issues with that this season as well, so maybe a rewrite of that rule to make it clear what is not allowed in those regards while also adding on a bit about not speculating about reasons why someone subbed out would be good. I can definitely think of at least one, if not more, times where people would speculate on why someone subbed out, and it would almost always lead to others having to say "Hey, people can and will sub out for a variety of reasons, the act of subbing out is NAI, so there is no reason to speculate at all."

-----

I am definitely down to keep discussing what kinds of lines we can draw when it comes to aggressive behavior and how to best moderate it as fairly, consistently, and transparently as possible because I think it would be for the best if we tried to come up with some new rules here.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is literally backseat modding though, isn't it? Like, I understand you don't want to get into specifics, and your point about situations happening that all players are not privy to, but what you are talking about is already against the rules, right? If someone is PM'ing a gamerunner to try to get them to do something they want in regards to moderating the game, then that is like the definition of backseat modding.

Since I do a lot of stuff on OM, I tend to be a fly on the wall in most moderator chats. This comes up a lot more than people probably realize.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Since I do a lot of stuff on OM, I tend to be a fly on the wall in most moderator chats. This comes up a lot more than people probably realize.
Well, it never really came up in LiS at all for me, and I don't really remember it being discussed during SU which I was also in modchat for, so I guess without anyone willing to give any concrete examples of this then I don't know what else to say other than that player should be warned and then replaced/modkilled if they continue, right? Or am I wrong here and this isn't strictly against the rules?

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it never really came up in LiS at all for me, and I don't really remember it being discussed during SU which I was also in modchat for, so I guess without anyone willing to give any concrete examples of this then I don't know what else to say other than that player should be warned and then replaced/modkilled if they continue, right? Or am I wrong here and this isn't strictly against the rules?

I don't see any rules about backseat modding or contacting anyone about issues at all in the HvV2 ones, so it would need to be pretty clearly defined before people are receiving punishment for it. And in general, we have situations like these where the moderators disagree about some hostility that's been shown in games and this is an issue that's been prevalent for so long, I can't really blame anyone in these situations for speaking up and trying to make a case for something stricter in the middle of a game.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I think the issue that a lot of people who have had it happen to them are dancing around is that there can be some difficulty navigating the difference of opinion of what should be punished (both the moderator's opinion and the player(s) involved) and then what to do when the moderator is still getting push back after they've made the decision. Using the current topic, if Player A feels like Player B is being too aggressive but the mod thinks otherwise and tells A that B won't be getting a warning, it's an awkward position to then have to punish A if they keep pushing the subject. So yes, it is against the rules but it becomes more complex based on the circumstances. I think having a more concrete definition and approach should alleviate this on it's own but I think what Natiko is really trying to get at there is that someone being offended isn't always the best indicator that something was done wrong.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any rules about backseat modding or contacting anyone about issues at all in the HvV2 ones, so it would need to be pretty clearly defined before people are receiving punishment for it. And in general, we have situations like these where the moderators disagree about some hostility that's been shown in games and this is an issue that's been prevalent for so long, I can't really blame anyone in these situations for speaking up and trying to make a case for something stricter in the middle of a game.

Huh....I could have sworn there was a rule somewhere in there for this but I just grabbed a random sampling of older games and didn't see it in there either.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any rules about backseat modding or contacting anyone about issues at all in the HvV2 ones, so it would need to be pretty clearly defined before people are receiving punishment for it.
Huh....I could have sworn there was a rule somewhere in there for this but I just grabbed a random sampling of older games and didn't see it in there either.
Weird, I could have sworn there was a rule saying not to backseat mod, maybe I was just thinking of the Era rules though?
And in general, we have situations like these where the moderators disagree about some hostility that's been shown in games and this is an issue that's been prevalent for so long, I can't really blame anyone in these situations for speaking up and trying to make a case for something stricter in the middle of a game.
I think the issue that a lot of people who have had it happen to them are dancing around is that there can be some difficulty navigating the difference of opinion of what should be punished (both the moderator's opinion and the player(s) involved) and then what to do when the moderator is still getting push back after they've made the decision. Using the current topic, if Player A feels like Player B is being too aggressive but the mod thinks otherwise and tells A that B won't be getting a warning, it's an awkward position to then have to punish A if they keep pushing the subject. So yes, it is against the rules but it becomes more complex based on the circumstances. I think having a more concrete definition and approach should alleviate this on it's own but I think what Natiko is really trying to get at there is that someone being offended isn't always the best indicator that something was done wrong.
Yeah, I get that I guess. I suppose I was thinking of different kinds of interactions between player and gamerunner than that, like someone being warned for something and then arguing that they shouldn't be warned.

Either way though, I do think there should be a way to define what would be considered out of line with those kinds of interactions because it can definitely lead to some situations where the gamerunner would feel uncomfortable and like they are being forced to make a decision, when it should really be a discussion with the modchat instead from my experience running a game at least.