• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rac

Oct 25, 2017
i mean ive been here
ive been under the impression that you are intentionally ignoring by posts

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
i mean ive been here
ive been under the impression that you are intentionally ignoring by posts
Do you think I'm Cult here, Rac?

Like, don't get me wrong, I've wanted to be dead for days, I'll take the trip to Spec Chat any way I can get it, but flipping me today would just give info on who wanted to kill me so bad once this Cult shit cropped up, because you'll see I am still a Mason and am Town like I've said this whole time, and you'll also lose one of the most active posters in the game who totally should have been killed by this point and is trying really hard to figure out both who is Cult and who is Town today while he's still around.

rac

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think I'm Cult here, Rac?

Like, don't get me wrong, I've wanted to be dead for days, I'll take the trip to Spec Chat any way I can get it, but flipping me today would just give info on who wanted to kill me so bad once this Cult shit cropped up, because you'll see I am still a Mason and am Town like I've said this whole time, and you'll also lose one of the most active posters in the game who totally should have been killed by this point and is trying really hard to figure out both who is Cult and who is Town today while he's still around.

nah i think if you were cult i wouldve died yesterday or at least it would've gone a bit differently
its hard to say more than that though

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017

rac

Oct 25, 2017
For Flux though, he could still be an Original Cultist. I still think something doesn't add up with his claim, particularly the contradiction I pointed out yesterday and which Rac brought up again today which is that he claims to have commuted on N1 for reasons that don't fully add up to me. We also have no proof that he can't be targeted at night, the only trustworthy person to try was AB and he was able to target him just fine.

btw i questioned this yesterday too but you've been neglecting me
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mafiera-mafia-ot-the-day-of-the-booze.91092/page-141#post-17232608

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017

rac

Oct 25, 2017
actually going back looking at the previous day
don't you think its a little odd for natiko to shade zeke because i was defending him somehow?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I think Fantomas is the most likely person to not be cult. Didn't start as cult, because in a chat with someone else. An unlikely recruit because living on borrowed time until the cult was discovered. Maybe if the cult had been revealed earlier, but Fanto is the one person right now who I think is safe.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking through the people who've been sitting semi-confirmed, as original cultist, If roles are as claimed:
CeeCee: would cult have a vig shot over town having a vig shot? I honestly don't know the answer here
Flux: a commuter would reduce chances of nk/investigation and maybe resolve that issue of town bp/doctor/commuter for protection. hmm.

I do believe something prevented Flux from being investigated; I still tend to think that was a legit reaction, but I don't know. I really don't know anything at this point.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
don't you think its a little odd for natiko to shade zeke because i was defending him somehow?
Can you get me the post # on that one? I know Natiko was shading Zeke throughout most of the day, I kind of just skimmed most of it while rereading to be honest lol.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

I think his point in the first one there was more that there were people looking to lynch others besides Zeke that day, which Zeke was making it seem like it was a foregone conclusion already. Honestly though, it kind of was with Zeke by that point, which is part of why I didn't want to vote for him when we got to EoD because it did feel like the easy way out compared to going for Kyan yesterday, and I felt like the not-that-great arguments I put forth were getting latched on to a lot. So basically, I would disagree that you saying that was a real push against Zeke's lynch at that point of the day.

Other than that, I do kind of find what I perceive to be a soft-defense of Flux there to be interesting, alongside trying to pair you and Zeke together.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, good morning!

I'll continue going through D7 now and bringing up any more thoughts I find, I had a couple more notes last night but then I got distracted from my reread once I brought Blarg's CeeCee theory to the table today because that just really tickled my mind when I started thinking about that stuff.

Catching up on the overnight discussions quick first though:

Dr. Drunkey, lol.

I still don't buy that the Cult could recruit PRs. If people want to kill CeeCee because they think he is a Cultist, I feel like that is lame, because there is a perfectly-somewhat-reasonable-kind-of-sensible theory about how CeeCee could be Scum that makes a lot more sense balance-wise to me than a PR being recruited by the Cult. If anyone really wants to kill CeeCee, it should be because they believe he is Scum at this point, not Cult.

For Flux though, he could still be an Original Cultist. I still think something doesn't add up with his claim, particularly the contradiction I pointed out yesterday and which Rac brought up again today which is that he claims to have commuted on N1 for reasons that don't fully add up to me. We also have no proof that he can't be targeted at night, the only trustworthy person to try was AB and he was able to target him just fine.
Why does scum CeeCee make sense to you now when it didn't before? The arguments being presented aren't new.

We were hypothesizing different ways in which PRs could be recruited to the Cult.

One theory is that the recruited player loses their role, hence why Saw's was crossed out in her flip. This would mean that a Mason would lose their Power Role, which is a secret chat with their Mason buddy who they know is Town.
Maybe Masons are excluded in the same way scum likely would be, but I don't see why Bear completely leaves out any mention or hint about it from the role PM in that instance. Explain how that makes any sense.

I think this interaction disproves the vanillazing idea. It'd just be dumb.
I think I'd really like to flip kyan first today.

It's odd I argued that a person I thought was a likely cultist was now being indirectly helped by another person I thought was a likely cultist?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Why does scum CeeCee make sense to you now when it didn't before? The arguments being presented aren't new.
I didn't really give Blarg's theories much attention before today honestly and I had been buying into things Sorian was saying about CeeCee, and fuck Sorian. But now I know Blarg was right about both Pirate Bae being Scum and Sorian being a Cult Leader strictly because he didn't buy their claims for pretty valid reasons.

I still think Blarg could be Scum too instead though.
Maybe Masons are excluded in the same way scum likely would be, but I don't see why Bear completely leaves out any mention or hint about it from the role PM in that instance. Explain how that makes any sense.
The Role PM still says "if the recruitment is successful". It's possible Bear gave them more info on that secretly in their chat, or that they simply had to test it themselves to find out on their own, which I think would help to balance how big the Cult can become when there is possibly another Neutral (Fireblend) plus a Scum team of at least 5 running around too.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on a few things that Dr. Drunkey couldn't do last night.
Recruiting Scum to the Cult just makes no sense to me.

Recruiting PRs to the Cult just feels OP I guess. Or do we think they just erase the whole Role PM and they effectively become Vanilla once recruited?

I know it doesn't mean much coming from me, as one of the few claimed Town PRs out here still, but the thought of trying to balance how each of these Town PRs would work as a part of the Cult too sounds like madness to me. It's a lot easier to just keep it to Vanilla's only and have it fail and refund the shot if they miss. Keeps the Cult from growing too large even if all the right modifiers get picked to give them all of their shots as soon as possible.

But whatever, I'm willing to concede that I could be wrong here too. But I don't think it makes sense for PRs to be recruited.
The role PM strikethrough on Sawneeks means this is an uncertainty that will hang over our heads for some time. I wonder if having to gain a shot is the balance to being able to recruit others, but if they started with PRs, then they wouldn't necessarily have to recruit outside of VTs. We don't know what Grizzly clarified in cult chat, either. There are too many unknowns. If we feel strongly about the possibility of Flux or CeeCee today maybe that's where we should aim the first lynch so we can discuss but god it feels risky.

more specifically im wondering if fran could backup a role town lost without actually having that person die

ex. mason gets recruited, fran becomes the new partner of the other mason
I don't think so. Again, that raises a lot of questions in game - this mason left chat would spark a discussion in game that would get one of the masons immediately killed, while confirming the remaining mason plus the new mason. Throws everything out of whack. I just really doubt it. But while turmoil's backup PM would list specifically who you couldn't take over for, Fran's wouldn't. It would just be up to Grizzly, and I expect it's clarified somewhere on the design sheet what he could inherit and what he couldn't.
I think the safe assumption knowing now that Sorian was a leading force of the cult, that Saw was a convert, and that it took us so long to find one is that they probably consistently picked players they felt were unlikely to be lynched or NKed. Players that weren't confirmed town, but that most were leaning town on. CeeCee, Flux, kyan, and you would be the ones that jump out as possible people for that group. I still think kyan is a good spot to likely hit cult. Flux I think is less likely just because of the possibility of missing due to the commute. I wonder if failed attempts are refunded? Don't recall if his role said.
Unless Flux started as cult. Then big shrug because who knows.

are we still positive there was ever a commute?
I still think so. If there wasn't a commute then he'd be an original cultist, but his denial and certainty was so strong at first that turmoil was lying. I just don't see the point in doing that when instead he could go "yes, I'm a role but I am not claiming" and argue about how turmoil's info verifies nothing about his alignment.
Quoting these together because now that we have confirmation of a cult chat there is some small possibility this accounts for the delay and Flux dancing around claiming. I wanna go back and see what the other reactions were around that now, just in case.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
The Role PM still says "if the recruitment is successful". It's possible Bear gave them more info on that secretly in their chat, or that they simply had to test it themselves to find out on their own, which I think would help to balance how big the Cult can become when there is possibly another Neutral (Fireblend) plus a Scum team of at least 5 running around too.
Y'know, I wonder if Sorian did ask if a neutral could be converted and turned that into his lie about how he couldn't be. Or if it was just he couldn't be converted since he already was cult.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
when both players are up to be lynched
yes?
You were both up to be lynched because you both fell into the group of people most likely to be cultists. One of you making a push that would save both of you is going to look bad to me literally every time.

natiko youve hated my game since d1 right?
why zeke over me?
Because Zeke spent the day phase downplaying the cult which seemed like the cultiest thing imaginable. I said yesterday I would lynch anyone in that pile, and most people seemed to be leaning towards Zeke so I went with that.

I didn't really give Blarg's theories much attention before today honestly and I had been buying into things Sorian was saying about CeeCee, and fuck Sorian. But now I know Blarg was right about both Pirate Bae being Scum and Sorian being a Cult Leader strictly because he didn't buy their claims for pretty valid reasons.

I still think Blarg could be Scum too instead though.

You think Blarg and CeeCee could be scum together or are you saying either or? I still think it's a reach for scum to burn one of their only additional kills D1 just to hand the leader position to another town player that could kill one of them since Brazil had turmoil on his list of potential kills.

As for the PMs - excluding the info from it but telling them in their thread just makes it much harder for town to figure out what the hell is going on when a cult is already one of the strongest factions in mafia. You honestly think that's a more reasonable thing to compared to allowing cult to recruit PRs with their already limited number of shots of which they start out with zero?

rac

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. Again, that raises a lot of questions in game - this mason left chat would spark a discussion in game that would get one of the masons immediately killed, while confirming the remaining mason plus the new mason. Throws everything out of whack. I just really doubt it. But while turmoil's backup PM would list specifically who you couldn't take over for, Fran's wouldn't. It would just be up to Grizzly, and I expect it's clarified somewhere on the design sheet what he could inherit and what he couldn't.
unfortunately no one ever thought to question fran's original pm

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
You think Blarg and CeeCee could be scum together or are you saying either or? I still think it's a reach for scum to burn one of their only additional kills D1 just to hand the leader position to another town player that could kill one of them since Brazil had turmoil on his list of potential kills.

As for the PMs - excluding the info from it but telling them in their thread just makes it much harder for town to figure out what the hell is going on when a cult is already one of the strongest factions in mafia. You honestly think that's a more reasonable thing to compared to allowing cult to recruit PRs with their already limited number of shots of which they start out with zero?
One or the other.

No, I think the second thing I said would be more likely than allowing Cult to recruit PRs though.
or that they simply had to test it themselves to find out on their own, which I think would help to balance how big the Cult can become when there is possibly another Neutral (Fireblend) plus a Scum team of at least 5 running around too.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, I wonder if Sorian did ask if a neutral could be converted and turned that into his lie about how he couldn't be. Or if it was just he couldn't be converted since he already was cult.
If Bear answered that for Sorian I don't see why he couldn't have answered it for the general thread. Who knows though.

rac

Oct 25, 2017
You were both up to be lynched because you both fell into the group of people most likely to be cultists. One of you making a push that would save both of you is going to look bad to me literally every time.
if both of us are likely to be cultists how the hell is me defending zeke gonna save both of us?

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
One or the other.

No, I think the second thing I said would be more likely than allowing Cult to recruit PRs though.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree - I don't think Bear designs a game in which he purposefully obfuscates information. He's one of the strictest and most clear game designers in our community.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
if both of us are likely to be cultists how the hell is me defending zeke gonna save both of us?
This is a bad argument and you know it. Mafia defend each other all the time - why wouldn't cultists do the same? Especially since your defense wasn't overt and instead was an attempt to push a different lynch that could save both of you.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree - I don't think Bear designs a game in which he purposefully obfuscates information. He's one of the strictest and most clear game designers in our community.
How sure are you in that Meta Read of him after playing in this game which features things like everything we experience from D1 to D2, the "behind the scenes" Star Wars modifier, Fireblend screaming for Pineapple Pizza, and a fucking Cult?

Just sayin...

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Sorian said a lot of stuff like this, too.

Because that was the cult's line.

(that it's true is neither here nor there; we are also in a game with a cult whose restrictions we don't know that also has rotating modifiers that change the game every day, ijs that maybe we should consider finally that there are some things we maybe cannot know)

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
How sure are you in that Meta Read of him after playing in this game which features things like everything we experience from D1 to D2, the "behind the scenes" Star Wars modifier, Fireblend screaming for Pineapple Pizza, and a fucking Cult?

Just sayin...
life-is-strange-handshake-chloe-max-gif-animation.gif

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
What does scum not NKing kyan yesterday tell us about scum and/or kyan? Is Kyan scum? Did someone in the scumteam grow convinced of Sorian faking their claim or did they suspect him beforehand and didn't pursue that looks during the day for whatever reason? Or did they and it just didn't gain much traction?
If Bear answered that for Sorian I don't see why he couldn't have answered it for the general thread. Who knows though.
I see why though, Sorian was a cultist, he would be entitled to cult related mechanics info that we wouldn't be. It makes no sense for there to be info that we couldn't get unless we "asked the right questions" to the gamerunner.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
What does scum not NKing kyan yesterday tell us about scum and/or kyan? Is Kyan scum? Did someone in the scumteam grow convinced of Sorian faking their claim or did they suspect him beforehand and didn't pursue that looks during the day for whatever reason? Or did they and it just didn't gain much traction?
I've been thinking a lot about this and not only because I want to hug that person before they die but I wonder if they kept quiet on purpose. Or if there's just some factor we're not privy to. There are a lot of questions there.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017

Just sayin...
The only one of those things that was nebulous was Star Wars which supposedly were just temporary roles according to Monkey. That's different than "hey cult, you can recruit" and then purposefully withholding who they can or can't recruit. The other things you listed were weird due to the players, not the design itself.

Sorian said a lot of stuff like this, too.

Because that was the cult's line.

(that it's true is neither here nor there; we are also in a game with a cult whose restrictions we don't know that also has rotating modifiers that change the game every day, ijs that maybe we should consider finally that there are some things we maybe cannot know)
But that's my point - we DO know restrictions placed upon them. They started with more than one member, they started with zero recruit shots, they would get shots from certain modifiers. That alone is enough restriction that they don't need to then additionally be restricted with "oh and you can then only recruit like 1/2 of the total players".

rac

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bad argument and you know it. Mafia defend each other all the time - why wouldn't cultists do the same? Especially since your defense wasn't overt and instead was an attempt to push a different lynch that could save both of you.
1. everyone thinks zeke and i are cult
2. i indirectly defend zeke
3. ?????
4. neither of us get lynched

by the way i was p direct with zeke, i did ask him to vote with me

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
That alone is enough restriction that they don't need to then additionally be restricted with "oh and you can then only recruit like 1/2 of the total players".
Walk me through the worlds where the Cult has 1 or more of the following confirmed Town PRs from this game on their team and how everything remains oh so perfectly Bear Balanced™, because in this world, they were all possible. There is no way they are "vanillaizing" the PRs because it makes no sense with my role:
  • Vanilla Cop
  • Post Restriction Ignorer
  • Mason
  • 1-Shot Bulletproof
  • Town Backup
  • Doctor
  • 1-Shot Override
You are telling me the Cult could have recruited the Doctor, the Bulletproof, and the Vanilla Cop to their team together without them losing any of their abilities, and are also saying that Bear only makes the most perfectly balanced games.

Something doesn't add up here.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
1. everyone thinks zeke and i are cult
2. i indirectly defend zeke
3. ?????
4. neither of us get lynched

by the way i was p direct with zeke, i did ask him to vote with me
I don't know what to tell you other than it is an extremely common tactic for a faction teammate to push a counter wagon in order to protect a teammate. I'm not really sure why that's suddenly a foreign concept to you.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Walk me through the worlds where the Cult has 1 or more of the following confirmed Town PRs from this game on their team and how everything remains oh so perfectly Bear Balanced™, because in this world, they were all possible. There is no way they are "vanillaizing" the PRs because it makes no sense with my role:
  • Vanilla Cop
  • Post Restriction Ignorer
  • Mason
  • 1-Shot Bulletproof
  • Town Backup
  • Doctor
  • 1-Shot Override
You are telling me the Cult could have recruited the Doctor, the Bulletproof, and the Vanilla Cop to their team together without them losing any of their abilities, and are also saying that Bear only makes the most perfectly balanced games.

Something doesn't add up here.
No, now you're just misconstruing my argument. I already said they are clearly removing the former role of their recruits as seen by Saw's flip.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
No, now you're just misconstruing my argument. I already said they are clearly removing the former role of their recruits as seen by Saw's flip.
But not the Masons though, me and Cabot were immune to all of this. But also Bear wasn't giving them any extra info they just had to try it on their own to find out that it doesn't work on me and Cabot or on the Scum team. Gotcha.

rac

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to tell you other than it is an extremely common tactic for a faction teammate to push a counter wagon in order to protect a teammate. I'm not really sure why that's suddenly a foreign concept to you.
except both of us were at risk of getting lynched
if zeke flips cult i gain nothing

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
But not the Masons though, me and Cabot were immune to all of this. But also Bear wasn't giving them any extra info they just had to try it on their own to find out that it doesn't work on me and Cabot or on the Scum team. Gotcha.
Oh so those restrictions are not reasonable but 1/2 the player count with no clarification is?

except both of us were at risk of getting lynched
if zeke flips cult i gain nothing
The goal being to not have either of you flip in this scenario.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Oh so those restrictions are not reasonable but 1/2 the player count with no clarification is?
Look, if we flip a Town PR who got converted to the Cult Team and was vanillaized, sure, I'll give you your points. But I just think that's a bigger reach than CeeCee being Scum.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Look, if we flip a Town PR who got converted to the Cult Team and was vanillaized, sure, I'll give you your points. But I just think that's a bigger reach than CeeCee being Scum.
That's fine, I guess we'll see🤷🏻‍♂️

ok and you tell me how thats possible if everyone in the thread thinks we are cult
that defending him would somehow help?
bullshit
Scum do this all. the. time. Disagree all you want, it won't change that it's the most common tactic for non-town factions to try and save teammates.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so when do we want to do this first vote here? We are going to turbo someone before we get close to EoD, right?

rac

Oct 25, 2017
"wow zeke i really thought that play where i indirectly defended you would work even though everyone in the game thinks we are both cult"
what a joke