• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I second what Faddy said about Brazil. That pre-typed post he came on with to spec chat when he died was literally the strongest post I've ever read summing up a game.

The priority list is 100% right, the issue, and now I'm confused on if we've been teaching mods wrong this whole time, is that kills are not an action modifier, they do not stop later actions and Hecht definitely knows this because MGS mafia literally hinged on this.
Brain fart on my part. I reviewed this thing like months ago and I completely forgot that was a thing.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to Grizzly for running it and all the mods and reviewers. This was a big game with complicated mechanics and it went pretty well, considering. Balance wise, yeah scum seemed too big and town too weak (nailed 3 scum in 4 days and still lost), but you can never really predict what will happen in a game. The fact we had a cult that stayed hidden for 6 days made for a pretty exciting finish (we were almost tossing in the towel before the reveal).

Shout out to my fellow scummies Natiko and Dr. Monkey for taking over the endgame. Props to Faddy, turmoil, and Bae as well, even if I didn't play too much or long with you. And sorry you had to drop out nin and Kawl, but at least I didn't mess it up for y'all.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to explain to me what the Town Hooker phenomenon is

I've heard it was Sorian's doing but never really delved
Back in ye olden days during the times of Love Boat 2 a young, beanied man named Sorian came up with a Scum Fakeclaim in order to save himself and his innocent boatmate, Sawneeks. Taking advantage of the deceased Town Virgins he concocted the idea to speak the truth of their role of Hooker but to insist they were Town and not Scum! "But", asked the PhD monkey, "isn't Hooker always a Scum role?". Yet the young Sorian was crafty and was ready for this. He countered that he could not speak for the Gamerunner and their balance choices, he could only speak for the Town role he and his boatmate had received. Through his deceit and conviction the Town was swayed, allowing Sorian and Sawneeks to live until the end where they stood upon the defeated Town in glorious victory.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Back in ye olden days during the times of Love Boat 2 a young, beanied man named Sorian came up with a Scum Fakeclaim in order to save himself and his innocent boatmate, Sawneeks. Taking advantage of the deceased Town Virgins he concocted the idea to speak the truth of their role of Hooker but to insist they were Town and not Scum! "But", asked the PhD monkey, "isn't Hooker always a Scum role?". Yet the young Sorian was crafty and was ready for this. He countered that he could not speak for the Gamerunner and their balance choices, he could only speak for the Town role he and his boatmate had received. Through his deceit and conviction the Town was swayed, allowing Sorian and Sawneeks to live until the end where they stood upon the defeated Town in glorious victory.
HOLD ON, YOU ARE MISSING CONTEXT AND ALSO NATIKO, WHO IS ALSO A VICTIM HERE

Let it be remembered that this was also poor young monkey's like third game ever or something and she had not yet encountered the magic of fake claiming. With her was her friend from another boat, Natiko, equally swayed by the faux innocent repetition from BOTH Sorian and Sawneeks that they were in fact town hookers and yeah it was dumb but what can you do?

what you can do, apparently, is die, and be part of a meme forever, RIP monkey and Natiko and their boatmates Sparky Doggo and Flush.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017

Let it be remembered that this was also poor young monkey's like third game ever or something and she had not yet encountered the magic of fake claiming. With her was her friend from another boat, Natiko, equally swayed by the faux innocent repetition from BOTH Sorian and Sawneeks that they were in fact town hookers and yeah it was dumb but what can you do?

what you can do, apparently, is die, and be part of a meme forever, RIP monkey and Natiko and their boatmates Sparky Doggo and Flush.
The true crime of the Town Hooker meme is the plan was always to lynch Sawrian the next phase. I didn't lynch Sophia and Crimson because I believed in Town Hooker. I lynched them because I believed in Rover and Xbro. The true unsung heroes (well, villains) of Love Boat 2.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
image.png

😐

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017

The true crime of the Town Hooker meme is the plan was always to lynch Sawrian the next phase. I didn't lynch Sophia and Crimson because I believed in Town Hooker. I lynched them because I believed in Rover and Xbro. The true unsung heroes (well, villains) of Love Boat 2.

Of course it is a meme because you are both so good now. And I feel fully justified in blowing myself up early and getting out of the way to be carried to victory.

But the fact you guys were even contemplating believing Sorian in this game was the only time I doubted you could pull it out.

Monkey, I loved your SCREEEEECH post when it all became clear to you that Sorian was full of crap.

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
MAFIERA MAFIA MVP AWARDS – THE VOTE

That's right! We are having a MVP Awards vote for this game!

RULES

This is not a popularity contest. Think about who you think played the game best, put in most work and tried hardest to help their side to win. It doesn't matter what faction won in the end, but the overall player performance.

In order to make your vote count, submit to me next format via PM:

1. Player X
2. Player Y
3. Player Z

First on your list will receive three points, second will receive two points, and third will receive one point.

You can vote any player who played in this game, and didn't replace out during the early day phases. So anyone except those who subbed out. You cannot self-vote.

Who can vote?
All players, including everyone who subbed out.
All people who were in the spectator chat.
All people in the modchat.

The Top 5 will be revealed after vote ends. The Top 3 will receive prizes from me!

The Vote Ends In:
u9m3tqvh3y

Quoting once again for visibility - there's 14 hours left to vote!

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it is a meme because you are both so good now. And I feel fully justified in blowing myself up early and getting out of the way to be carried to victory.

But the fact you guys were even contemplating believing Sorian in this game was the only time I doubted you could pull it out.

Monkey, I loved your SCREEEEECH post when it all became clear to you that Sorian was full of crap.

So this game wasn't the first time you've done this?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
So, the thing is, you can make a role any alignment. There's a thing called negative utility when it comes to balancing and sometimes instead f balancing scum vs. town, you can balance town vs. town to skew things how you want as the moderator.

:D
Vote: Sorian

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Time for me to reset the room temperature? I can design a whole game around negative utility.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017

It was a slow process where I kept thinking it and then no, no, maybe it's fine, and then it was definitely a SCREEEEECH NOPE KILL HIM KILL HIM NOW

p.s. I have definitely toyed with an actual town hooker in a design. I do hate all the slang for sex workers tho. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was a slow process where I kept thinking it and then no, no, maybe it's fine, and then it was definitely a SCREEEEECH NOPE KILL HIM KILL HIM NOW

p.s. I have definitely toyed with an actual town hooker in a design. I do hate all the slang for sex workers tho. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Mafia in general has a lot of problematic terminology around it unfortunately. The term lynch has connotation even if we are talking about its literal definition, a common move/strategy in mafia is a "chinese fire drill" (even if we don't use that one ever since it's not a strategy we use much, if ever), etc. I know there's more I'm blanking on.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking it up, it sounds like my kinda strat. Doesn't this immediately imply that a certain group of players are coordinating behind the scenes, though?

Nah, it's the common strat to combat that feeling of "this is too easy, something is wrong with this lynch." It's not necessarily a coordinated effort, I've actually found it's usually town led when I see it happen in other communities. We have actually done it before though I don't think many involved realized it was a strategy with a name, Hyperactivy (I guess I don't know his ERA username, tried to tag him) fell victim to it both times I remember us doing it.

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Any last minute stranglers - voting closes in three hours, and MVPs will be revealed soon after.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, saying I'm gonna lunch Sorian sounds way friendlier. I mean, I like him, but I still wanna kill him, mostly, not feed him.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like the word defenestrate but i suspect it will be misspelled so often the vote tool won't work.

How about behead?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I had hoped to have time to do a brief write-up on this game but work interferes always and this wild polar vortex shit and all the problems it's causing didn't help, so I'll just say this instead:

I am grateful for all the praise I (and Natiko) got, but man, I don't think the rest of the team got the credit they deserved here. I've never seen so many ballsy attempts at claims and control and I'm really proud to have been a part of this. The sacrificial moves helped put us in a subtle position of power, and then LP is really a big part of bringing that hope with the way he walked a careful line of being almost open scum while never being out there enough to take focus off cult. I understand why so many express frustration at his play at times, but having been scum while he's town a few times, it becomes easier to see what he's doing and how well he does it. Kudos, man. Natiko and you and I were three equal parts of that backend strategy and we played really well off each other.

Town had some really strong plays and it inspired us to just push harder. I was NOT ready to come back after my break and roll into a long scum game and it was WORK but it was fulfilling and fun.

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
General voting stats:

24 people voted - Thank you to all voters!
12 People received votes.

I'll reveal top 5 gradually post by post next.

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Player who received 3rd Most Points is...

Congratulations!

The 3rd spot receives any Steam Game up to the price of 9.99 Dollars/Euros! Contact me via PM either in Era or in Discord so we can figure out the details!

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Player who received 2nd most points is...

Congratulations!

The 2nd spot receives any Steam Game up to the price of 19.99 Dollars/Euros! Contact me via PM either in Era or in Discord so we can figure out the details!

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
And finally...

Player who received the most points of them all is...

Congratulations!

The 1st spot receives any Steam Game up to the price of 29.99 Dollars/Euros! Contact me via PM either in Era or in Discord so we can figure out the details!

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Wow, congratulations all, and thanks to Grizzly for hosting the game and the awards as well, those are some sweet prizes I'm not jealous at all about!

I suppose I should retire from mafia, now that I managed to carve a name for myself in this game thanks to my paranoia about the easiest wincon ever tactical genius though.

...nah.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
OH UM
that's a hell of a birthday present. Bear, your generosity is incredible. You already did so much running this for us.

But since this week IS my birthday and I'm already getting stuff and since he does such an amazing amount of work for us, may I in turn award my prize to Febe? Honestly, just coming back to mafia and getting this is plenty of reward and I'd like to spread the love around.

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
OH UM
that's a hell of a birthday present. Bear, your generosity is incredible. You already did so much running this for us.

But since this week IS my birthday and I'm already getting stuff and since he does such an amazing amount of work for us, may I in turn award my prize to Febe? Honestly, just coming back to mafia and getting this is plenty of reward and I'd like to spread the love around.

If Fireblend is cool with it, I am cool with it :)

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That's incredibly kind Monkey, and I counter-appreciate your appreciation, but I already got the only reward I deserve from this game:

bacon-cheddar-and-pineapple-pizza-77250-1.jpeg

...yuck. Seriously though, I don't even play on Steam that much. I suggest the prize be returned to our gracious gamerunner so he can buy himself a $30 italian meal in celebration for hosting such a successful game. He can get some manicotti, a quart of ministrone and a whole damn loaf of bread with that, I hear.