• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I want to say I didn't pay in Dark Should but thanks monkey for the save anyway >_>

Leaning towards voting Sorian. Will sleep on it. If I wake up to find myself elected I won't be too mad either <3

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think what's being lost here is that people can still vote, the lead might go completely rouge, or just go with the vote, or do something in the middle but the votes are still here. You just aren't getting the instant gratification with the flip right away potentially but that's whatever. The day 1 votes rarely get any real analysis until a few days anyway because you need more of the picture. At day 2, all you can really do is react in a one dimensional way of "all these people were wrong/right"

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I think what's being lost here is that people can still vote, the lead might go completely rouge, or just go with the vote, or do something in the middle but the votes are still here. You just aren't getting the instant gratification with the flip right away potentially but that's whatever. The day 1 votes rarely get any real analysis until a few days anyway because you need more of the picture. At day 2, all you can really do is react in a one dimensional way of "all these people were wrong/right"
Sure, I mean whoever is made leader has the ability to lynch whoever they want - but it felt like some players were arguing to explicitly not even bother collecting everyone's thoughts because they are convinced that one vig shot is going to be all that informative. Honestly to me it feels like trying to set someone up for a mislynch by placing greater emphasis on their choice when short of going with a leading candidate it'll just be a shot in the dark.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I mean whoever is made leader has the ability to lynch whoever they want - but it felt like some players were arguing to explicitly not even bother collecting everyone's thoughts because they are convinced that one vig shot is going to be all that informative. Honestly to me it feels like trying to set someone up for a mislynch by placing greater emphasis on their choice when short of going with a leading candidate it'll just be a shot in the dark.

I mean, I guess, and the leader does have the power to just turbo immediately but I can't see anyone actually going in good faith and just immediately turboing. Any leader is going to allow time for people to talk barring an exceptionally fiesty Blarg maybe and if we have time to talk, we can still talk our votes and reads independent on whatever the leader is going to do.

And let's be real, if people want to talk and the leader does turbo, they are probably going to catch a bullet in the night if there is a town killing role and no one is going to risk that.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Also, I'll just be straight up now, if I'm leader I'm not treating this like a normal day 1. I'll consider the mood of the room but I'm choosing one of my scum reads, if everyone is voting for someone I don't scum read then I'm just going to ignore the majority.

I agree with this.

We can gain info on both the majority and the leader today; it doesn't have to be one or the other. The point of electing someone is to make the final decision for us. We are ultimately putting our trust in them, and if they choose wrong, then we can still get reads and thoughts from them.

I will vote for someone who I believe will check both of these boxes.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say I didn't pay in Dark Should but thanks monkey for the save anyway >_>

Leaning towards voting Sorian. Will sleep on it. If I wake up to find myself elected I won't be too mad either <3
I didn't think it was that one, but I wanna say it was near that time frame. Hell, I don't know, I just remember being convinced you were scummy for similar reasons to what Terra posted, so I wanted to put it out there.

Also a firm anti-Sorian position. I don't wanna lynch him, but I don't want to put him in charge, and am flabbergasted at the number of people who do. Meme or not, the fact is that Sorian is very good at looking like he should be trusted against common sense.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I don't think anyone was trying to argue that. People are saying the leader should go with the majority and vote accordingly, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think even just being paired with lovers would give us a lot more interesting interactions than usual.

Feels kind of townie that you made a read off of misreading and then somehow after realizing still wanted to stick with it. Generally speaking I think scum would back down immediately.

I do like this point from Brazil though. Good to see you already putting in work.

So you both think getting info on one person is more valuable than getting info on multiple? Do you think a single vig shot is more informative than a normal voting day?
Not exactly, since I don't think it is that clear cut because voting for a leader already gets us info on the rest of the thread, but I'm mostly thinking like Monkey is on the post below; I think everyone should voice their reads and say who they want lynched, but not define that the leader NEEDS to follow the general tally.

If seven people wanna lynch one person, and five another, but the leader goes with the five, we get information about all the people who've aligned themselves - as with a regular day one - and also the leader, by seeing where they'd go. It's not really that unique, just that the flip might not be what we'd usually get. But if we choose someone who doesn't really listen and does whatever they want, it just tells us who they are as a person and probably isn't really alignment indicative. We might be able to turn into something alignment indicative by d3 or d4, depending on what happens, but it's an extra gamble. Someone who tends to play things pretty straight and weigh arguments then gives us information about what they privilege in the arguments on offer.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I didn't think it was that one, but I wanna say it was near that time frame. Hell, I don't know, I just remember being convinced you were scummy for similar reasons to what Terra posted, so I wanted to put it out there.

Also a firm anti-Sorian position. I don't wanna lynch him, but I don't want to put him in charge, and am flabbergasted at the number of people who do. Meme or not, the fact is that Sorian is very good at looking like he should be trusted against common sense.
I feel he's one of the few people who won't chicken out in a leader position and like he just said, justify his lynch based on what he thinks (or pretends to) and not just follow what other people are telling him or go for a policy lynch or something like that. I feel like that would yield more info for D2. Anyway I'm done for the night, gnight yall

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, in a general sense it'll never perfectly follow a D1 vote because you're never going to have the constant vote shuffling around you might see to end an actual day. But I'm still struggling to see what insight people are expecting to pull out of the leader's lynch in the scenario where they have no imperative to follow the majority (unless they actually hit scum). I don't see anyone using it as anything but a way to scum read the leader. "Oh they voted someone completely unexpected, clearly scum." "Oh they went with the consensus choice even though they didn't have to - clearly scum that was fine with the choice and didn't want to rock the boat." Etc.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bit weird, isn't it? I think proper arguments should be made based on what's happening in this game, and not just stuff in the past. I mean, I get it, he's deceived me in a previous game too. But I can't really get behind that kinda paranoia, because of how scary a player can be if they're mafia or whatever.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bit weird, isn't it? I think proper arguments should be made based on what's happening in this game, and not just stuff in the past. I mean, I get it, he's deceived me in a previous game too. But I can't really get behind that kinda paranoia, because of how scary a player can be if they're mafia or whatever.
So many times I've thought, well, Sorian just seems so reasonable and y'know, I agree with him; I should stop thinking about past games and trust him, I mean, he's clearly townie.

Once that led to me lynching Blarg over him (as was mentioned here); once it led to me giving him an item of ultimate power. Yeah, so whatever, think what you want, but he's not getting my vote for King Lynch. It doesn't mean I scumread him (I don't); it means I don't trust my read on him because I know he's wily and I can't always read it correctly in the early game. I usually go better with him late game (in both those situations, I did eventually realize I'd been wrong).

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Sure, in a general sense it'll never perfectly follow a D1 vote because you're never going to have the constant vote shuffling around you might see to end an actual day. But I'm still struggling to see what insight people are expecting to pull out of the leader's lynch in the scenario where they have no imperative to follow the majority (unless they actually hit scum). I don't see anyone using it as anything but a way to scum read the leader. "Oh they voted someone completely unexpected, clearly scum." "Oh they went with the consensus choice even though they didn't have to - clearly scum that was fine with the choice and didn't want to rock the boat." Etc.
In a normal game, do you get the best reads when people act according to their own alignment and wincon, or do you get the best reads when they play it safe and under the radar by barely posting or agreeing with everyone?

When people are allowed to act of their own free will, we see how they truly act. Sure, they may hit town, but as long as they explain why they voted the way they did, even if they lie, I think there is a lot to be gained. That's what this whole game is about.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
In a normal game, do you get the best reads when people act according to their own alignment and wincon, or do you get the best reads when they play it safe and under the radar by barely posting or agreeing with everyone?

When people are allowed to act of their own free will, we see how they truly act. Sure, they may hit town, but as long as they explain why they voted the way they did, even if they lie, I think there is a lot to be gained. That's what this whole game is about.
See, now this assumes that the leader would just give no input into who the selection is. Any player doing that in general is going to get the side eye. You can be the leader, go with majority, and still have been fighting to convince people of your scum reads.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017

But this isn't a regular situation. In fact, if you take someone who isn't usually a leader and put them into a position of leadership, wouldn't that be pretty revealing?

What are we gonna learn about Sorian as a leader that he isn't going to tell us anyway?

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??

Just because I agree with him doesn't mean I want to vote for him.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Just because I agree with him doesn't mean I want to vote for him.
I'm not saying you do, but he makes a good example for this. He said he will probably vote for a scum read. It is likely he will tell us his scum reads anyway. So he's not gonna be anything but regular Sorian. No pressure, and no leash, because he's already stated his intent; we are then trusting that he's acting for town.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Also for the sake of sharing - I personally would probably lean towards voting Brazil right now if I were to choose someone other than myself. Of those that I have good feelings about so far I would put the most faith in him making a good selection.

On the flip side if I were elected I would probably go with ketkat currently. I didn't like the response on being called out over the RNG lynch, nor was I very impressed with their disappearing act right afterwards.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna get ready for bed. Might end up posting again, 'cause no self control, but I'm not married to my Fando vote. Just right now I feel pretty good about him. I think 24 hours in we'll have some good perspectives, though, when we hear from more people.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
See, now this assumes that the leader would just give no input into who the selection is. Any player doing that in general is going to get the side eye. You can be the leader, go with majority, and still have been fighting to convince people of your scum reads.

If you're the leader and go with the majority's wishes even when you don't agree, what are we going to learn?

What you're suggesting is the safe route to take. If the leader votes with majority then scum can easily hide behind the majority decision if a townie gets lynched. And if the leader is scum themselves then it makes the situation even more easy for them to avoid scrutiny. "I was just doing what you guys wanted me to do!"

But this isn't a regular situation. In fact, if you take someone who isn't usually a leader and put them into a position of leadership, wouldn't that be pretty revealing?

What are we gonna learn about Sorian as a leader that he isn't going to tell us anyway?

And that's why I'm more inclined to vote for someone I want to know more about.

I'm not saying you do, but he makes a good example for this. He said he will probably vote for a scum read. It is likely he will tell us his scum reads anyway. So he's not gonna be anything but regular Sorian. No pressure, and no leash, because he's already stated his intent; we are then trusting that he's acting for town.

To be fair, no matter who we vote for, we're trusting that they're acting for town. That's not exclusive to Sorian.

Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of leaning Sorian, but Monkey swayed me with her last couple of posts here. Fandorin seems to have a good head on his shoulders also.

Vote: Fandorin

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies to Ketkat . I generally default to they/them/their in conversation. I meant no harm.

If you're the leader and go with the majority's wishes even when you don't agree, what are we going to learn?

What you're suggesting is the safe route to take. If the leader votes with majority then scum can easily hide behind the majority decision if a townie gets lynched. And if the leader is scum themselves then it makes the situation even more easy for them to avoid scrutiny. "I was just doing what you guys wanted me to do!"
You're literally making my point for me. Any scenario where you're holding the leader accountable is bait to lynch them in the future. You're implying the consensus is a scummy move for them already lol

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Apologies to Ketkat . I generally default to they/them/their in conversation. I meant no harm.

You're literally making my point for me. Any scenario where you're holding the leader accountable is bait to lynch them in the future. You're implying the consensus is a scummy move for them already lol

If they're wrong, they're wrong. I'm not suggesting to lynch them if they're wrong.

I am suggesting that we get more reads on someone when you put them on a pedestal and allow them to act how they want to.

We can better understand people's motivations when you put them in the spotlight.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
If they're wrong, they're wrong. I'm not suggesting to lynch them if they're wrong.

I am suggesting that we get more reads on someone when you put them on a pedestal and allow them to act how they want to.

We can better understand people's motivations when you put them in the spotlight.
I'm skeptical it'll play out like that. I guess we'll see.

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Fantomas has replaced ShadowSwordmaster!

Please welcome Fantomas.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I don't know who I'm moving my vote to, but I figure my vote should go to someone who meets higher standards than "aware they don't want it." Even if Scum are likely to be very open about wanting it.

Unvote

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
wfel64Q.gif

fwVEjJJ.gif

Hello Mafia Friends!!!!!!!

Oh boy am I ever excited to be able to post in here with you all now. It's been a rough ~8 hours watching from the sidelines, I was already close to exploding. I drank a lot of caffeine tonight, so I'll probably be up for a while still. Give me a few minutes here to go back and compile my thoughts and then I'll come back with a Big Post!

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Sophia has dropped out of the game.

I'm looking for a replacement.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, well looking forward to what Fantomas and ??? contribute when I wake up. Don't burn everything down while I'm gone.

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
==== DAY 1 VOTES ====
Day Start

fandorin (3 votes)
brazil - #172
dr. monkey - #565
thechuggernaut - #576

blargonaut (2 votes)
faddy - #94
blargonaut - #329
sophia - #376 #389

sorian (2 votes)
terraforce - #104
rac - #510

terraforce (1 votes)
shadowswordmaster - #85

geno (1 votes)
geno - #77

fluxwavez (1 votes)
zubz - #101 #582
sophia - #132 #376
sophia - #389

fireblend (1 votes)
fandorin - #324

natiko (1 votes)
natiko - #79

Post Counts:
blargonaut: 56 sophia: 40 sorian: 40 dr. monkey: 34 fran: 33 pirate bae: 31 terraforce: 30 natiko: 29 geno: 28 fandorin: 23 fluxwavez: 22 brazil: 20 faddy: 18 cabot: 15 fireblend: 13 thechuggernaut: 12 zubz: 11 rac: 10 ketkat: 9 grizzly: 8 kawl: 8 kyanrute: 8 turmoil7: 5 giant panda: 4 stanleypalmtree: 4 shadowswordmaster: 3 fantomas: 2

Click here to go to the Vote Tool!

Kawl

Oct 25, 2017
Forget all this well i think I'm partial to leaning to voting for .... bullshit

Vote: cabot

Oh captain my captain

MOD EDIT - adding unvote for subbed out player.

Unvote

Last edited by a moderator:

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, big catch up post. Some thoughts on several things that have happened so far:

If you vote me for leader, I'll pull a name out of a hat. It's the only way to be a strong and fair leader
This read like a joke to me right away, but later Ket comes back and clarifies it as a real position of hers.
Do you RNG all of your day one votes?
Natiko was the first to start pressuring Ketkat over that comment.
Anyone who has a history of no lynching probably isn't getting my vote.
Serious question: Is there anyone in this community that is known for, or has a history of advocating for, no lynching? Because otherwise this feels like a weird post to me.
Kind of? There's definitely a lot to be gained from looking back at what's said on Day 1, but it does feel like we just kind of wing it and go for whoever when it comes to the actual votes. It would certainly save me a lot of time to use a hat!
Here's where Ketkat clarifies that she does think most of D1 is basically just RNG, which is odd to me. There's plenty that can be discussed on D1, especially in a game like this where we are presented with some unique mechanics, and we can use those discussions as a source for scum hunting, even if it isn't based on as much information as we'll have in future days. I've found Scum on D1 in my last 2 games, I'd like to make it 3 in a row personally.
Yes, I agree it's wishy-washy, and makes me suspicious of him (hence the prods for more info), but I wouldn't go so far as to elect someone I didn't trust and give them power over the day phase. The trade-off of information vs. exclusive power doesn't seem worth it.
I like this line of thinking because I also don't like the idea of voting someone to be our leader for the day that I'm scum-reading, or at least feeling weird about.

I did play in Conspiracy, but the only thing I can think of is the countdown that started with the map. However, neither the countdown or the map in that had any actual use in the game and was just there to throw people off.
Did you forget all about your Secret Vote power from that game already?
I don't like either Fran or Ketkats feelings vs the leadership vote.

I like Sorian and Panda's reactions because they mirror my own, which is basically ruling yourself out as a leader seems weird right now because right now as a player you only know your own alignment, so you should be pretty alright with leading the charge if you're town. I don't buy getting it wrong on day 1 as a valid reason to sit out.
I agree with most of this, I don't know if I'd put Fran and Ketkat in the same category in my mind yet for their thoughts on that, but I definitely agree with the second part here.
I'm kinda skeptical that anyone is that good at reading players off of one day.
As I said before, 2 games in a row so far, let's make it 3 together GP! Who do think is looking scummy?
Just wanted to get these two gifs back-to-back the way they were meant to be, no other comment here.
Damn y'all post too much.
Maybe you don't post enough!
Maybe people just want to have fun.
That's not allowed!
How is voting him for leader applying pressure? While it would be funny to vote for Blarg in the Blarg game, I'm pretty confident that most of us would not want to leave the day one vote in his hands regardless, so it's probably not going to go anywhere.
Agreed, I don't think we should be voting for Blarg to be our leader. Sorry, Blarg.
Also, I'll just be straight up now, if I'm leader I'm not treating this like a normal day 1. I'll consider the mood of the room but I'm choosing one of my scum reads, if everyone is voting for someone I don't scum read then I'm just going to ignore the majority.
We can gain info on both the majority and the leader today; it doesn't have to be one or the other. The point of electing someone is to make the final decision for us. We are ultimately putting our trust in them, and if they choose wrong, then we can still get reads and thoughts from them.
This is also my position if I were to be the leader. I think our leader should be someone who can make a scum read on their own without needing the room to guide them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I might have missed some things here and there, but to summarize my overall thoughts for now:

Ketkat is reading as the scummiest person in the room to me right now.

I'm not yet sure who I would want to vote for to be our leader yet. I would of course welcome any votes for myself as I do believe I have what it takes, but otherwise I'll be looking for players that read as strong, independent thinkers to me for the most part.

Just generally, I have early towny feels for Brazil, Monkey, Natiko, and Sorian.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil Dr. Monkey when you get the chance, could you tell me in 3 gifs or less how you feel about Ketkat so far? Thanks.

This thread needs some more of you, bud! Any hot scum reads for me?

Fran concerns me right now, but it's purely meta. The one game I played with him he was scum and kind of took up the role of town leader so I'm a bit weary of him trying to steer town in one way or another. I feel a bit better about him after my interactions with him, but I'm not ready to say he's town yet. He's someone I think should keep and eye on, but I also think town Fran would be really useful for scum hunting later so I would rather keep him around until we get some more info.

Aside from that, and at the risk of sounding like I'm copying your read, ketkat sticks out to me as someone I would for if I could vote for similar reasons that you listed.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I dunno, man, the way you capitalized that shit made me want to take a second bath today.

I'm not sure where this leader thing is going yet, but the first selfish thought I had when I saw it was that I'd gain more information from watching someone else do it (preferably someone I can read) than from doing it myself. I'm not particularly confident about hitting scum just yet, so if I took that shot the result would probably be pretty boring. I'll throw my hat in the ring more vehemently if my ears perk up for some reason, though.

I can get on board with this reasoning. It's essentially where I'm at right now.

The current situation mostly removes the relevance of day 1 votes from all players in exchange for magnifying the power of a single day 1 vote of one player.

I tell you, I'd probably not care for Flux or Geno being leader currently.

With that in mind...

... Oh

Well nevermind then.

Vote: FluxWaveZ

What do you expect to gain from Flux as leader?

is there a reason you wouldn't vote yourself to be in contention?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Fran concerns me right now, but it's purely meta. The one game I played with him he was scum and kind of took up the role of town leader so I'm a bit weary of him trying to steer town in one way or another. I feel a bit better about him after my interactions with him, but I'm not ready to say he's town yet. He's someone I think should keep and eye on, but I also think town Fran would be really useful for scum hunting later so I would rather keep him around until we get some more info.

Aside from that, and at the risk of sounding like I'm copying your read, ketkat sticks out to me as someone I would for if I could vote for similar reasons that you listed.
Yeah this is my first time playing in a game with Fran so I don't really have a meta read there. Just from what I've noticed, he seemed a bit defensive of his playstyle and opinions I guess, but I'm not sure if I want to scum-read that since I've seen that from Town members as well, especially early on... (Hi Stuart)

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Monkey answered this question, and I would like more to hop on it.

What are you all expecting to gain from a leader and their subsequent vote?

I'm sort of with Monkey's suggestion of throwing someone in who isn't typically a leader, though I'm trying to think of a person who I could trust to make a sensible decision as well.

Would I want a leader who would choose their target based off of other people's feelings on votes?

No, frankly. That's an easy way to downsize their own decision and reads.

So my current position is going for someone who I don't particularly townread strongly, but trust enough to avoid being completely reckless.

For this reason I am conflicted on Flux and Sophia. I feel Sophia wouldn't really give me what I want though, she'd defer to the damned majority.

Right now, I'd personally shoot Ketkat, she's not done anything but give me red flags. I can see Sorian's point on Sophia, it's a little early to cry foul on Blarg, and he mostly plays by his own rules day 1 (unless he's up for the chop).