• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
About yhe only thing i cam say at this point is the constant bickering at the people that voiced an unwillingness to be leader is fruitless, it all seems to be born of people who tend towards confidence in thier play being unable to see this situation from the perspective of people who are not.

If a scum player actually wanted to stay under the radar on this topic they are far more likly to have tried that by just not saying much about it rather than broadcasting somthing that would obviously be a controversial opinion.

Fucking mobile

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly, Febe got d1 lynched in... Dark Souls? No, something with a flip, but around that time - for a similar entrance. He was town. I remember 'cause I went kinda hard on it, too, thinking along these lines. So I'd say see if there's another reason to suspect him. I mean, keep it on the list or whatever, because that was a while ago, but I wouldn't make it my #1.
Duly noted. Just something I noticed while skimming people who stand out and weren't initially among my top reads.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
About yhe only thing i cam say at this point is the constant bickering at the people that voiced an unwillingness to be leader is fruitless, it all seems to be born of people who tend towards confidence in thier play being unable to see this situation from the perspective of people who are not.

If a scum player actually wanted to stay under the radar on this topic they are far more likly to have tried that by just not saying much about it rather than broadcasting somthing that would obviously be a controversial opinion.

Fucking mobile
co-signed

The way so many people come out ready to holler at people for no lynching or other playstyle differences means saying "I don't want to be leader" here is just putting a target on your back. I consider most of that more likely NAI - either side, for the record - though I'm sure there's a scum or two willing to capitalize on it.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I'm gonna go yoga, do some laundry, pack lunch, etc. for semester-start prep, but I'll try to check in regularly so I'm not surprised by another few hundred posts.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
14COhR2h.jpg

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
If everyone just followed the proper narrative i.e. me assuming command, none of you would have this futile "problem"

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I like Sorian & all, but I find it weird Sophia's treating him like a win button.

As for Blarg trusting himself as a win button... That's on-brand.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like Sorian & all, but I find it weird Sophia's treating him like a win button.

I'm not. That's why there is a a conditional there.

Also, reading back through Natiko, and just wanted to answer this because I missed it last timee.

It's not like it's set in stone, but it's the obvious place to start. Do you not want to be leader?

I have no qualms with being leader, I just don't feel the need to vote for myself starting out.

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ this thread is moving.

That said, however, I won't vote Fran, at least, because Fran is stubborn and I don't know if he'd vote majority concerns. Like Natiko (was it Natiko who said it? I'm trying to not multiquote constantly today), I think I'd prefer to vote for someone who'd go for the majority consideration. Not voting for Geno either, for similar reasons.

I don't really agree with your reasoning here. The majority in mafia can and will do some dumb stuff and I think it could help having a player in charge that isn't really beholden to whatever town is feeling at the time.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I don't really agree with your reasoning here. The majority in mafia can and will do some dumb stuff and I think it could help having a player in charge that isn't really beholden to whatever town is feeling at the time.
We really don't need to get caught up in some weird D1 gambit out of left field that could potentially stall us for days. I don't think Fran would necessarily be the one to do that, but I'd rather just go with a straight-shooter.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017

That's fine, You don't have to, but let me clarify this a bit. I don't disagree with you on the face. But let's take Zeke for example, as Sir Not Appearing In The Game Roster, as an example. If Zeke was here, I would not vote for him as leader, because Zeke would vote for whomever he was convinced needed to be flipped, even if some people had some very strong arguments otherwise. This is no particular shade; there's merit, at times, in a single-minded approach. But I don't think it would be particularly great here.

I personally would put Geno and Fran into similar categories of sometimes-single-minded play. Thus I would not be inclined to vote for them as leaders. Though depending on how things shake out, if we're very contentious and fractured as the vote gets close, who knows? Maybe that'd be more helpful. But it's not where I'd look first.

Of these three, Fran's came before I swapped my vote back, so I should look at Natiko and Monkey, methinks?
While you're looking at me, maybe you could look back a few posts and answer the questions I asked you.

Fran

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ this thread is moving.

I agree (and not just because Monkey keep breaking my heart).

I don't want the leader to follow what everyone thinks because that's not his role and it would be an easy way for scum to avoid responsability. What I want to do after we select the leader, during the short phase, is that everyone says who they want to lynch and why. And then the Leader explain his vote why. That vote doesn't need to follow the majority but it must be explained. That way the leader Is not just following but also we can see what everyone thinks.

Oct 25, 2017
We really don't need to get caught up in some weird D1 gambit out of left field that could potentially stall us for days. I don't think Fran would necessarily be the one to do that, but I'd rather just go with a straight-shooter.

That's fine, You don't have to, but let me clarify this a bit. I don't disagree with you on the face. But let's take Zeke for example, as Sir Not Appearing In The Game Roster, as an example. If Zeke was here, I would not vote for him as leader, because Zeke would vote for whomever he was convinced needed to be flipped, even if some people had some very strong arguments otherwise. This is no particular shade; there's merit, at times, in a single-minded approach. But I don't think it would be particularly great here.

I personally would put Geno and Fran into similar categories of sometimes-single-minded play. Thus I would not be inclined to vote for them as leaders. Though depending on how things shake out, if we're very contentious and fractured as the vote gets close, who knows? Maybe that'd be more helpful. But it's not where I'd look first.

These are both fair. I think if we were later in the game and we had a confirmed townie laying around it might help to give it to them and have them do whatever, but a bad gambit could net us a bunch of mislynches in a row as opposed to hopefully one if majority of town was wrong. I kind of want to give it to Geno as amends for me backstabbing a couple of games ago, but I'm not sure if I trust him with the leader role. I trust town Fran to make a good call, but I'm not sure if we're dealing with town Fran, and even if we were, if he messes up as a town we would probably end up lynching him

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only against taking up a majority vote after the leader is elected, since that would defeat the purpose of choosing one in the first place. Scum would probably end up picking his teammate if we decide on that. For that I agree with Monkey that electing someone unpredictable here would go against town's favor.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't want the leader to follow what everyone thinks because that's not his role and it would be an easy way for scum to avoid responsability. What I want to do after we select the leader, during the short phase, is that everyone says who they want to lynch and why. And then the Leader explain his vote why. That vote doesn't need to follow the majority but it must be explained. That way the leader Is not just following but also we can see what everyone thinks.

This is also a good point because it's not like the leader is off by himself. There's going to be some communication there

Fran

Oct 25, 2017
And I know that it's hypocritical saying that I want the leader to be responsable about his lynch after saying that I don't want the position.

I wouldn't go after the head of the leader if he misses and hits town. It could happen. It's just that I don't like the idea of selecting a leader for him just to follow orders.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only against taking up a majority vote after the leader is elected, since that would defeat the purpose of choosing one in the first place. Scum would probably end up picking his teammate if we decide on that. For that I agree with Monkey that electing someone unpredictable here would go against town's favor.

So are you saying we should decide on who to vote for first before we vote for a leader?

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Clarifying this a bit.

Removing the leader's choice altogether would limit our information on the leader, since even a scum would pick his teammate if the rest of us decide on that.

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So are you saying we should decide on who to vote for first before we vote for a leader?
Not necessarily. We still have 24 hours after we elect someone, and few are the players here that would simply "hammer" it against town's wishes.

Just think that the leader should make the final decision and not have it tied up to a majority vote.

Oct 25, 2017
This Is stupid. What happened in previous games has nothing to do with this one (except of the modifiers, of course).

To clarify a bit more, another reason I was considering him is because I'm town reading him harder then anyone else in this game so far, but I just don't really trust him with that vote

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Based on meta and this day start, I think I can remove a few players for my vote for leader.

Right now I'm considering cabot, Giant Panda, Sorian, Monkey and Brazil; not in any order at the moment.

I probably won't vote for either Blarg, Terra, Flux, Fran or Faddy.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that bothers me about some people talking about being leader is that a handful of people have suggested RNGing it or simply treating it like a regular Day 1 vote, and that really bothers me. We have a unique chance to get reads from a specific player being given power, why squander that with a regular day 1 vote?

I saw Natiko, Ketkat, and Flux all suggest something to that effect. I'm sure there was probably more.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that bothers me about some people talking about being leader is that a handful of people have suggested RNGing it or simply treating it like a regular Day 1 vote, and that really bothers me. We have a unique chance to get reads from a specific player being given power, why squander that with a regular day 1 vote?

I saw Natiko, Ketkat, and Flux all suggest something to that effect. I'm sure there was probably more.
I never suggested something to that effect.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Love you too, Fran. Let's hug it out.

Not necessarily. We still have 24 hours after we elect someone, and few are the players here that would simply "hammer" it against town's wishes.

Just think that the leader should make the final decision and not have it tied up to a majority vote.
I think (and this is to the thread in general, since it's been mentioned by a few) that there may be merit to treating it mostly like a regular day one. Or rather, if we treat it like a regular day one - in which factions align themselves for certain votes), we still get the unique information about the leader depending on what they decide to go with unless they're the type to hare off and do whatever they want, hence my Zeke example (also Zeke is my bro-love, so he knows I invoke him with love).

If seven people wanna lynch one person, and five another, but the leader goes with the five, we get information about all the people who've aligned themselves - as with a regular day one - and also the leader, by seeing where they'd go. It's not really that unique, just that the flip might not be what we'd usually get. But if we choose someone who doesn't really listen and does whatever they want, it just tells us who they are as a person and probably isn't really alignment indicative. We might be able to turn into something alignment indicative by d3 or d4, depending on what happens, but it's an extra gamble. Someone who tends to play things pretty straight and weigh arguments then gives us information about what they privilege in the arguments on offer.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't read that post at all as treating me like a win button (and no one here would be a win button, it's all a shot in the dark or a loss state if the person chosen is scum.

Hey now, we are equal opportunity here, we don't know that the leader will be he/him.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at Natiko first, but perhaps maybe link it to me? I did miss a little bit of the thread because of outside obligations.
I'll just repeat it. I want to know what you think Blarg's post revealed, and if you think he's telling the truth. I want to know why you think what you think. In order words, I want you to actually follow that to conclusion instead of making some vague statements that could kind of mean anything. What you're doing instead is making it look like you're taking a position without taking any kind of position at all.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'll just be straight up now, if I'm leader I'm not treating this like a normal day 1. I'll consider the mood of the room but I'm choosing one of my scum reads, if everyone is voting for someone I don't scum read then I'm just going to ignore the majority.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And yeah, I know that's written the same way Flux wrote his, figured I'd just toss my hat that way too since I feel the same way.

Fran

Oct 25, 2017
Fran

I might of missed it so sorry if you've said this already, but who are you leaning towards for the vote?

To me it should be able to make a decent read with little info so it must someone good at meta reads. So I'm leaning towards a veteran who usually follows the games.

Right now I'm between Cabot and Sorian, with Cabot just barely ahead as I'm townreading him a little more than Sorian.

Hey now, we are equal opportunity here, we don't know that the leader will be he/him.

You are right, my bad. That's what happen when I do this at 1AM and I have to wake up early tomorrow.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Is being fooled/taken in and having fun the same thing?

Second point, well, if everyone is having fun I guess we have no reason to make reads today. /s

With so many choices and the only indication we have so far is today's mechanic pulling from election and this mechanic wasn't even in election (seriously someone correct me if I am wrong about this), I don't see why we would try to agree. They're all probably crap shoots, if we can establish a real pattern in a couple days then I agree but for now, people's reasons for voting a particular mechanic are either lolz/some connection to the specific game or hoping for something to be the case that might not even be the case anyway. I see a lot of people wanting us to vote love boat so we get chats but I don't see many pointing out that we might just all end up being paired off as lovers so forced into two deaths. We're effectively just guessing no matter how we do it. It's a side mechanic, treat it as such, this doesn't seem as pervasive to everything in the game like the items in HvV were.
I think even just being paired with lovers would give us a lot more interesting interactions than usual.

I feel conflicted on that read because I was misreading some interactions, but rac didn't made a lot to make me think he is town, currently I wouldn't vote for him but I don't think I would like him to be lynched either.
Feels kind of townie that you made a read off of misreading and then somehow after realizing still wanted to stick with it. Generally speaking I think scum would back down immediately.

I don't buy it. Terra put himself in clear opposition to Flux with posts like the one below - he definitely went further beyond mere prodding.

Either purposefully or inadvertedly, you never gave Terra even a passing mention, and that seems weird to me when you're already scrutinizing Flux so much with only a few hours into the game.
I do like this point from Brazil though. Good to see you already putting in work.

Clarifying this a bit.

Removing the leader's choice altogether would limit our information on the leader, since even a scum would pick his teammate if the rest of us decide on that.

So you both think getting info on one person is more valuable than getting info on multiple? Do you think a single vig shot is more informative than a normal voting day?