• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Anyone who has a history of no lynching probably isn't getting my vote.

Ditto. I'm not going to throw my hat in this fight, but that'd be who I'd vote for if I became leader. Although I must ask... For tonight's modifier, can we do Price Is Right? That seemed fun!

1QId2El.gif
RSsTHBK.gif
1QId2El.gif

RhcYkao.gif

Oh good, I can use text to explain how you obviously aren't the Doctor this time! ... *Pouts*

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
Level 1: I'll vote for myself for leader cause I only know my alignment blah blah fart
Level 2: I'll make sure to say I don't want to be leader because chucklefucks like Geno will hold the leader personally accountable when they don't x x 360 no scope x x scum with their vote
Level 3: I'll slyly sidestep the whole voting topic as a whole
Galaxy brain: I'll make a meme levels post breaking down the topic while avoiding it all together
0fstLid.gif

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The difference being if you think someone is a strong scum player versus a poor one they be reacting differently. So if two players are on that level 2 shit but one is ahem not as strong as scum historically that's a bigger scum tell

I get the sentiment I guess, just seems like an extra step to just say "there's scum in the room"

----

Wonder if Sophia is coming back lol

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Timing is good

A lot of people in this thread are either trying to look busy or skate by tho. That's hardly unique to me.

Sure, but your assertion was so blatantly wrong that it stuck out like a sore thumb. There were two parts to what I said, looking busy was only one half.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
Oh good, I can use text to explain how you obviously aren't the Doctor this time! ... *Pouts*
I'll have you know the staff of Aesephyclus (sp) was not traditionally a symbol of the medical field until relatively modern times when I pulled this factoid out of my butt like this game travels into the past

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Wait, Brazil not trusting Fandorin... I remember 2 posters in MafiEra are brothers. It's those 2, right? Because I think I remember sibling reads coming in handy w/ those 2 in a past game.

The lack of direction from Blargonaut feels scummy. Usually when he's town he tries a little bit, but when he's scum he either tries a lot or not at all. Hmm...

Fair... But this game is basically 1 big limited edition, Platinum Certified, Smile Dip-flavored Best of Blargonaut that Blargonaut Prime also happens to be a regular participant in. I have no idea what to expect from his playstyle this go around, Town or Scum. Or 3rd Party.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading your posts and trying to simultaneously play Divinity: OS2! Give me a break gosh :(

I was more laughing at the extra people quoting you calling Blarg scummy then voting him as leader with their "uhhhhh" gifs and such with no response. I know you've already said you're jumping between two things.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Brazil not trusting Fandorin... I remember 2 posters in MafiEra are brothers. It's those 2, right? Because I think I remember sibling reads coming in handy w/ those 2 in a past game.

Fair... But this game is basically 1 big limited edition, Platinum Certified, Smile Dip-flavored Best of Blargonaut that Blargonaut Prime also happens to be a regular participant in. I have no idea what to expect from his playstyle this go around, Town or Scum. Or 3rd Party.

Those two are our current set of brothers, yes. We used to have a different pair.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
I was more laughing at the extra people quoting you calling Blarg scummy then voting him as leader with their "uhhhhh" gifs and such with no response. I know you've already said you're jumping between two things.

In my experience Sophia is more likely to be self conscious when she is mafia so her being inconsistent or at least quickly changing stances is kind of townie for her.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It goes without saying that I don't trust him, but that's a weird comment to make considering how I'm voting for him right now.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
also I need to get this out of the way sooner rather than later; yes, I did once claim scum as Cop on D2. No, don't ever do this. Rumours say I'm still in that derelict ship's holding cell

Fran

Oct 25, 2017
I'd hardly say either of them are "fighting" particularly hard. The only difference, to me, at least, is that Flux actually took the time to put thought into his explanations whereas Fran just left me with more questions. Fran is giving me this self-preservation vibe whereas Flux is not.

What?

This is Flux reason for not wanting:

Interesting. I certainly don't want that responsibility, so I won't be running. Eager to be convinced to vote for someone, though.

If this is not self preservation I don't know how you call it.

Just in case:

Flux:
1219.jpg

Fran:
2514.jpg

Do you think your stance will change at all as the day progresses?

I can't know. I know how I usually play and unless I feel that I have a good scum read on someone I prefer someone else who can make a better job to get it.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a Neutral Deathproof Medium. Thanks, Burbeting

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In my experience Sophia is more likely to be self conscious when she is mafia so her being inconsistent or at least quickly changing stances is kind of townie for her.

You're not wrong, but I'm also trying to get a read on my beloved Blargonaut-senpai too~

I'm trying to think of what game it was... but Blarg was scum in it and this reminds me of how he played that game.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
How can people even read Blarg? Honest question.
What?

This is Flux reason for not wanting:

If this is not self preservation I don't know how you call it.

Just in case:

Flux:
1219.jpg

Fran:
2514.jpg

I can't know. I know how I usually play and unless I feel that I have a good scum read on someone I prefer someone else who can make a better job to get it.

I'm judging my reads based on his posts after he was called out on his initial stance. Not that one in particular.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not all the way caught up yet (y'all got busy, damn), but so far, Sophia going hard on people essentially for not playing the way she would is raising my scum hackles. She's not the only one to make some comments in that direction, but to dig in on Flux like that feels pretty aggro and that feels more likely to be scumSophia. Flux not wanting to answer if he's town is about the towniest thing I've ever seen, though. It's such a silly question and wanting to be cagey is equally silly. But mafia wouldn't be cagey for any reason; they'd just answer.

But generally, I don't have any issue with the people who don't want to be elected. Maybe because I have definitely felt uncertain and not as flippant about day one votes in the past, but all the people expressing uncertainty there feel towny to me. I also just as a rule don't find "you play differently than I do" a compelling reason to suspect someone or to press them hard early. But that's just me.

That said, however, I won't vote Fran, at least, because Fran is stubborn and I don't know if he'd vote majority concerns. Like Natiko (was it Natiko who said it? I'm trying to not multiquote constantly today), I think I'd prefer to vote for someone who'd go for the majority consideration. Not voting for Geno either, for similar reasons.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Also, while I don't disagree with Fran at all about picking what people might vote for in terms of mechanic during the day phase, I consider it a lesser consideration - find a leader, find some suspicious parties, and then worry about the mechanics thing. It's not my first concern. Sorian's right in that we cannot accurately second-guess what the Bear will choose from any game so we're shooting in the dark there. It's worth talking about, but not first, and less so day one until we can try to discern some pattern there, probably.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You aren't wrong but that's not my personal reason here. She clearly did those two posts about Blarg to see how he'd react so the other people quoting it gets a shrug of the shoulders as far as alignment goes. The issue more is that first Blarg post she made. Anyone who's sat in this community for five minutes knows that no version of Blarg is taking this seriously until at least the end of day 1 at the absolute earliest.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
It's more that I trust people who play scum really well even less and I'm wary about giving them any ammunition they can use. Realistically, I could see scumMonkey or scumSorian using it as an extra night kill and being able to talk their way out of it just fine.
If I was scum in this situation and got handed the leadership, I would try to do something very not-obvious with it. I expect anyone would, or their team would tell them to, which probably means voting with the majority.

I figure we can get two things out of this:

We can see who people do/do not want as leader and make note. We can track those votes, too, but they'll be less useful than they would be on a given day, too; I don't think scum will push super hard for a scum leader unless scum is under major scrutiny.
We can see how the leader behaves.

But otherwise, I don't know how much concrete info we'll get for use day 2 unless we get lucky and hit scum. This is speculation, though. I didn't play in Election mafia (if it worked this way?) so I could be way off.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I was scum in this situation and got handed the leadership, I would try to do something very not-obvious with it. I expect anyone would, or their team would tell them to, which probably means voting with the majority.

We can see who people do/do not want as leader and make note. We can track those votes, too, but they'll be less useful than they would be on a given day, too; I don't think scum will push super hard for a scum leader unless scum is under major scrutiny.

But otherwise, I don't know how much concrete info we'll get for use day 2 unless we get lucky and hit scum. This is speculation, though. I didn't play in Election mafia (if it worked this way?) so I could be way off.

I admit, I only vaguely remember election because I died N1 but I don't even think this mechanic was present in that game. We are quite literally just holding an election, not actually referencing that past game.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
You aren't wrong but that's not my personal reason here. She clearly did those two posts about Blarg to see how he'd react so the other people quoting it gets a shrug of the shoulders as far as alignment goes. The issue more is that first Blarg post she made. Anyone who's sat in this community for five minutes knows that no version of Blarg is taking this seriously until at least the end of day 1 at the absolute earliest.

Ok but someone being taken by Blarg on day 1 isn't unusual. Maybe people just want to have fun.

Fran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm judging my reads based on his posts after he was called out on his initial stance. Not that one in particular.

Can you point them for me then?

Also, while I don't disagree with Fran at all about picking what people might vote for in terms of mechanic during the day phase, I consider it a lesser consideration - find a leader, find some suspicious parties, and then worry about the mechanics thing. It's not my first concern. Sorian's right in that we cannot accurately second-guess what the Bear will choose from any game so we're shooting in the dark there. It's worth talking about, but not first, and less so day one until we can try to discern some pattern there, probably.

But we have to make a choice during N1 so it's not like we can wait and see. I agree that it doesn't have to be our priority but it's something that we should agree about.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017

Disagree. I think scum would definitely want the leader role since it is a free mislynch. Plus sitting back is only going to draw attention to themselves for being inactive and then getting shot on day 1 because the town leader wants to make a virtuous kill.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone who's sat in this community for five minutes knows that no version of Blarg is taking this seriously until at least the end of day 1 at the absolute earliest.
See there, Sorian knows how to do it. Sorian's going to bide his time entertaining me until I break each and every one of you or tells-compromise myself vulnerable trying, which is the only when he'll dare tackle me head-on. I taught Sorian how to use the terrain to his advantage

But now I am the terrain

Sorian will get all of you

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
I taught Sorian to be the best vulture

The most accomplished carrion-eater ever devised

None of you will win

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok but someone being taken by Blarg on day 1 isn't unusual. Maybe people just want to have fun.

Is being fooled/taken in and having fun the same thing?

Second point, well, if everyone is having fun I guess we have no reason to make reads today. /s

But we have to make a choice during N1 so it's not like we can wait and see. I agree that it doesn't have to be our priority but it's something that we should agree about.

With so many choices and the only indication we have so far is today's mechanic pulling from election and this mechanic wasn't even in election (seriously someone correct me if I am wrong about this), I don't see why we would try to agree. They're all probably crap shoots, if we can establish a real pattern in a couple days then I agree but for now, people's reasons for voting a particular mechanic are either lolz/some connection to the specific game or hoping for something to be the case that might not even be the case anyway. I see a lot of people wanting us to vote love boat so we get chats but I don't see many pointing out that we might just all end up being paired off as lovers so forced into two deaths. We're effectively just guessing no matter how we do it. It's a side mechanic, treat it as such, this doesn't seem as pervasive to everything in the game like the items in HvV were.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. I think scum would definitely want the leader role since it is a free mislynch. Plus sitting back is only going to draw attention to themselves for being inactive and then getting shot on day 1 because the town leader wants to make a virtuous kill.
That's... not what I said? I'm sure scum would want the leader role. I'm just saying that I don't think they'd then try to direct the kill in a way that was obvious or against the majority, which was the impression I was getting with the notion of using it as a free kill. Of course they'll try for that. But unless they screw up and do something blatant, it's not gonna be some blatant tell.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
See there, Sorian knows how to do it. Sorian's going to bide his time entertaining me until I break each and every one of you or tells-compromise myself vulnerable trying, which is the only when he'll dare tackle me head-on. I taught Sorian how to use the terrain to his advantage

But now I am the terrain

Sorian will get all of you

Yeah

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Is being fooled/taken in and having fun the same thing?

Second point, well, if everyone is having fun I guess we have no reason to make reads today. /s

I mean who are you trying to read here? It is too early to read Blarg and I gave a read on Sophia.

And it isn't about being taken in and fooled it is about engaging with Blarg because you never know what you are going to get.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
That's... not what I said? I'm sure scum would want the leader role. I'm just saying that I don't think they'd then try to direct the kill in a way that was obvious or against the majority, which was the impression I was getting with the notion of using it as a free kill. Of course they'll try for that. But unless they screw up and do something blatant, it's not gonna be some blatant tell.

Yes scum are going to do things to try and not get caught.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean who are you trying to read here? It is too early to read Blarg and I gave a read on Sophia.

And it isn't about being taken in and fooled it is about engaging with Blarg because you never know what you are going to get.

Sophia and yeah, you did give a read but you also quoted me and then gave an opposite read to mine with reasoning that had nothing to do with where my read came from so I reiterated since it seemed like you were either trying to challenge my read or convince me.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not forget Monkey's override in the invitational. She got out of that one despite lynching town Blarg over scum Sorian.
Oh boy, I love it when we talk about this,
"Got out of it" She made a choice as a town member where she had no definitive info, there was nothing to get out of, what are you angling at?
I like how he also seems to have forgotten that "scum Sorian" did get lynched in that game, when I chose to not lynch town-Faddy, but sure, let's just focus on the override.

I made a bad choice. It happens. Later I made a good choice when there was more info. But fuck me, right? Though I have made a few singularly awful choices around you, Sorian.

still catching up, reading in bookends