• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's quite broken during conversations your played character will also always stare to the left isntead of looking to the NPC

Not to mention how they replaced character models completely for characters, then reused them for a different person in the next scene. It's like a play where one person plays 5 roles.

They replaced this character model.....

8hAcNjJ.jpg

but then used the replacement for a completely different person in another scene. I mean they just really wanted to fuck this game up.

itD0GVB.jpg

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It's actually quite the accomplishment to fuck up all your versions of a game. Mafia 3 on PC, the button prompts keep disappearing. My Xbox controller magically disconnects from the game, my Dualshock loses the button prompts to blank squares. It's still a stuttery mess.

On PSN Europe, there is still no option to get Faster, baby!.

Like... How the fuck can that happen?

Issue is that they set Steam Controller Profile as default one. If you turn off Stram Controller support for Xbox/PS4 everything works because game has native support for those gamepads.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Framerate on Mafia II is fine unless you go to Joe's flat, there it chops a bit. Then, there's the highway, once you go through it the game drops to the low twenties until you get out of it.

Apr 27, 2020
Just started Mafia 2 today, the audio is really bad. The cutscenes are really loud compared to the gameplay audio. The gunshot when you first start the game nearly blew out my speakers lol. I almost forgot how bad the car handling is as well, jesus christ

Last edited:

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Not to mention how they replaced character models completely for characters, then reused them for a different person in the next scene. It's like a play where one person plays 5 roles.

They replaced this character model.....

8hAcNjJ.jpg

but then used the replacement for a completely different person in another scene. I mean they just really wanted to fuck this game up.

itD0GVB.jpg
I think it's correct. These are two difeferent scenes that load a model dynamically so its' completely random.

Last edited:

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
What were your expectations, specifically with Mafia 2? I know there are performance problems on Pro and audio issues across all platforms but nothing that can't be ironed out in the next few weeks. Is there anything else that's disappointing?
Overall it feels very low effort and barebones. Many things were left untouched, which clashes with some of the improvements such as Vito's head/hair being updated but not his body. Gameplay hasn't aged that well, but only so much could be done there and other areas I suppose. There seem to be new bugs and glitches introduced, and PhysX is now missing, so it's not like it's objectively a better product or even equal to the previous version (though thankfully that hasn't been unlisted)

I hope they at least patch the things they broke, but it seems useless to expect any more meaningful improvements at this point even on PC where the performance overhead is more flexible. Maybe mods or INI tweaks will make it possible to push things further, but for now based on all I've seen I wouldn't call it much of a remaster

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They seriously need to fix the walking bug in Mafia 2. The frame rate drops need fixing too but holy shit the walking is so bad that it's actively ruining the game for me. How did they fuck this up

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Overall it feels very low effort and barebones. Many things were left untouched, which clashes with some of the improvements such as Vito's head/hair being updated but not his body. Gameplay hasn't aged that well, but only so much could be done there and other areas I suppose. There seem to be new bugs and glitches introduced, and PhysX is now missing, so it's not like it's objectively a better product or even equal to the previous version (though thankfully that hasn't been unlisted)

I hope they at least patch the things they broke, but it seems useless to expect any more meaningful improvements at this point even on PC where the performance overhead is more flexible. Maybe mods or INI tweaks will make it possible to push things further, but for now based on all I've seen I wouldn't call it much of a remaster
I mean what is your definition of remaster then? All of the remasters we have ever gotten give you a res bump and maybe a frame rate tweak and that's it. This goes beyond what we get with most "remasters." Sure there are a few minor bugs to be squashed but that's on par with 90% of the releases that happen now. The PhysX stuff I can agree with although it appears to still be there in some capacity if not fully there just hidden.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Got all Mafia 3 dlc. Started Stones UNturned. Got 2 missions in. Game now crashes constantly after an end mission cutscene. Soft Locked my game. Thank you.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
After years of picking at it here and there I finally finished Mafia 3. I actually got the ending I didn't want at first because the final objective prompt was so vague. Luckily I was able to reload the previous checkpoint.

Overall I remain very torn on whether I would recommend the game, the story and moment-to-moment gameplay are quite good but the mission design and pacing are just godawful.

The Definitive Edition adds very little other than including the DLC, which seems fine but I mostly skipped in the name of actually getting to the end.

(Oh, and the mid-credits scene made me go "WHAT?!")

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Mafia II is the worst remaster of any game I've ever played, personally. I know there are worse out there but this is the one that I'm super disappointed in. My current save is at a point where as soon as I load, the police light me up and I die, so I'm having to restart because 'Retry Mission' doesn't restart the mission. It just loads you at a random checkpoint. Playing on PS4 Pro btw.

I think naming this "definitive" was a slip up but that it can be redeemed, hopefully.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Mafia II is the worst remaster of any game I've ever played, personally. I know there are worse out there but this is the one that I'm super disappointed in. My current save is at a point where as soon as I load, the police light me up and I die, so I'm having to restart because 'Retry Mission' doesn't restart the mission. It just loads you at a random checkpoint. Playing on PS4 Pro btw.

I think naming this "definitive" was a slip up.
That sounds like a bug that would have existed previously too. Anyways, use the chapter select.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm getting some half framerate refresh on the smoke coming from steam vents, and some particles glowing every now and then. But 1440p/60 locked is working perfectly on my old rig. I really like what they've done with the lighting and snow track textures - it looks way more alive! Chapter 3 right after the stealth mission had my favorite lighting in the entire game and this Remaster makes it even better in that night lit glow. I also think the eyes for the characters, especially Henry look awesome!

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Played the first 8 chapters of Mafia 2 and I still really like the game, but some aspects of it aged a bit poorly.

The game runs at a pretty locked 165fps for me with everything except MSAA maxes out at 1440p, the game does however suffer from a lot of random stuttering even when running under nearly the best possible conditions off a high-end NVME drive, it's a little disappointing.

The AI also seems super broken in a way I didn't remember at all, some enemies just stand in place and don't move around, having me to backtrack to have certain missions even progress.

I adore the game, but so much more could have been done to make it just a little smoother to play in 2020.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
Mafia 2 performance on PS4 Pro is kind of iffy and this type of stuff rarely bothers me. The worst is that the sound is broken during cut scenes as character dialog only comes out of the left channel.

I liked the original Mafia and never got around to the sequels. I'm still really early on but I don't like the main character or his buddy. It feels really dated mechanically too.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I think it's quite broken during conversations your played character will also always stare to the left isntead of looking to the NPC

There is an animation problem here. Everytime your character locks his sight to an NPC it awkwardly happens like a snap, ignoring wherever the head was before and his eyes almost roll to the back of the head and freeze there.
It's really f'n bad and is one of the most annoying things in the game. (Besides the ridiculously bad performance on PS4)
Here's a video about it and in the last 20 seconds you can see how awful the "snap" is.

I wish you could drop the resolution a bit to increase performance on ps4 pro.

You can force it to 1080p instead of 4K? but it doesn't do shit. Exact same performance, so the problems are coming from somewhere else.

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Mafia 2 runs fine on One X.
Only issue I have is that voices only come on one side of my headset, extremely annoying.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like that they are working on Mafia II DE patch but there are no activities on Mafia III DE depots.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like that they are working on Mafia II DE patch but there are no activities on Mafia III DE depots.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The DLC for Mafia 3 Faster, Baby which still was 15 bucks instead of free in whole Europe is now completely unavailable instead of being fixed.

Only issue I have is that voices only come on one side of my headset, extremely annoying.

That's so crazy to hear that the X version seems to be fine when the PS4 version drops frames to 15 and under basically every 15 seconds almost everywhere and if it doesn't do that it microfreezes a lot.

Oct 27, 2017

Accoding to some people on the Xbox One subreddit, it can run like shit, just like the PS4 Pro.

I feel this is a situation in which you may be lucky enough to not get any major issues, or you may be so unlucky to be playing Power Point 1947. I don't feel blanket statements like yours are indicative of anything.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Could it be an asset streaming issue? Not streaming from the HHD fast enough? Both my PS4 Pro and X have SSD so maybe that helps?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Now this is f'n hilarious(ly bad).

I already have so much material, I could make my very own "Crowbcat" style video, lmao.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
Wow, this is a great comparison, the upgrade seems pretty substantial, overall. Some weird graphical glitches, though.

And it does seem to have a temporal pass in the antialiasing, even if it's not mentioned in the settings. Very clear reduction of pixel crawl here:

Some of the repeating textures are distractingly noticeable - especially in the section of the video shown in the thumbnail. The texture of the brickwork on some of the walls and buildings repeating is quite jarring.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Cloth Physics and APEX Particles solution as promised!

APEX effects actually work properly except the cloth physics in the main game. PhysX works well in the DLC's.

There are 3 types of cloth physics in the game.

1. No physics at all. Clothes stick to the character
2. Standard physics.
3. APEX PhysX

If you play on LOW settings, you get the standard physics but you lose all the APEX particles and effects.

If you play on HIGH settings, You get APEX particles but the clothes will stick to the character because it cannot load the proper APEX cloth physics.

My solution is to get APEX particles + standard physics

BEFORE YOU START: Go to the in-game video settings and set it to HIGH preset. NOT CUSTOM. You can edit the settings later.
  1. Go to the game install directory
  2. Go to EDIT/APEX folder
  3. Back up "CLOTH" folder somewhere safe (You should add it back when you want to play the DLC's)
  4. Delete the "CLOTH" folder
I also wrote a Steam Guide for it.

Steam Community :: Error

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
i m just playing the classic one with the Old time reality mod and is a blast, its just 3,5GB for higher texture, camera position, new ligtning and weather, way better then this "remaster" imo

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
i m just playing the classic one with the Old time reality mod and is a blast, its just 3,5GB for higher texture, camera position, new ligtning and weather, way better then this "remaster" imo

The remaster still looks much better IMO. I don't like the bloom effect in the original and the bad fake reflections on the ground.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The remaster still looks much better IMO. I don't like the bloom effect in the original and the bad fake reflections on the ground.
we have to disagree here, the blomm effect can be fix with a reshade and i like the "fake reflection", the remaster is just inferior then this mod imo, it dosnt have enouth improviments to justifie the 44GB required.

The OTRM is just 3,5GB and its way better solution then this remaster imo

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018

I'm curious if this could be ported to the Definitive Edition the game uses the same file format so moders should be able to open the packages qith the already existing tools and maybe restore original character models and port certain mods