• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
It's bad and i mean a bad, game was for few hours on AU PSN store someone streamed it and:
audio is broken, it's mono (dialogs in one ear and other sounds in other)
framerate is so bad on ps4 pro sometimes it's below 20fps (and yes there was already 1.0.1 patch and it didn't fixed anything)
sounds of guns and fights and now new and it sound so weird
not to mention it's buggy
facial expressions look worse than in normal game, but sometimes it looks great
and a lot more
remaster is made by d3t ltd so that explains everything

Seems like an easy skip, then. Game really deserves better.

Did PS3 mafia 2 have exclusive DLC? Or am I misremembering?

I vaguely remember this. Wasn't it initially even free day 1 DLC?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm suspicious that the "Trilogy" thing is really just 2K monopolising on the brand. Mafia 1 might have always been the only project that was actually extensive and planned out (touch wood). Whereas Mafia II was shipped off to a port study for a quick and dirty update to modern hardware, bugs and issues and quality control be damned. Mafia III is already current gen, so just bundle that with DLC and call it a day.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I was a bit miffed when this was announced as I only just started 2 on PC and didn't want to play as lesser experience. Looks like I was worrying about nothing.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I'm suspicious that the "Trilogy" thing is really just 2K monopolising on the brand. Mafia 1 might have always been the only project that was actually extensive and planned out (touch wood). Whereas Mafia II was shipped off to a port study for a quick and dirty update to modern hardware, bugs and issues and quality control be damned. Mafia III is already current gen, so just bundle that with DLC and call it a day.

I want to believe this as whole was somewhat planned project to bring franchise back for next-gen Mafia 4.

One can dream.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
It's bad and i mean a bad, game was for few hours on AU PSN store someone streamed it and:
framerate is so bad on ps4 pro sometimes it's below 20fps (and yes there was already 1.0.1 patch and it didn't fixed anything)
sounds of guns and fights are now new and it sound so weird
and a lot more
I saw some footage and nothing you said is true? Maybe I'm missing something but it was fine?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
PhysX is proprietary physics solution for Nvidia GPUs.
Not quite.
Physx has become integral to the physics engine of multiple engines like Unreal 4, and it's also open source for a while now.
What likely happened here is that the physx effects were ported to consoles, but reduced in fidelity as it's executed on the cpu like majority of physx stuff nowadays.

You can even see the physx logo in the video of the OP at the start.

Oct 28, 2017
sounds of guns and fights are now new and it sound so weird
and a lot more
Hahaha, wtf, I can't stop laughing at this, absolute trash port. Big PSA necessary, if it doesn't get patched.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering Mafia is released much later, how much of the story is ruined if I play 2 and 3 first?

Also I guess I had higher hopes that Mafia 2 would look and run better. The leaked gameplay is from an unfinished install on the PS4 (there's a warning at the end of the video), but I guess that doesn't matter.
Games are pretty loosely connected to each other.

2 has an scene that could ruin some of the Mafia 1 because there is some character crossover so in a sense it will spoil things.

In 3 there is character returning from 2, but no ties to 1st game.

The scene in Mafia II that ties it to the original doesn't really "ruin" Mafia I, because you'll be lacking the proper context for it, but it is far more effective if you played the original game first. I wouldn't wait until the Mafia Remake/Remaster is out to play Mafia II, though.

I would play Mafia II before playing Mafia III. It's not a direct sequel, but the character who appears in both games is pretty major. You want to see his full arc in the proper progression.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I saw some footage and nothing you said is true? Maybe I'm missing something but it was fine?
where did you watch?
here is more than 5hours of gameplay, running on PS4 Pro, or check some clips of that stream.
Yes there was 1.01 update but it barely fixed anything, if only it added 2K logo in the corner when you did not log in.
granted framerate is not that bad, but sometimes it's really yikes even in cutscenes

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

One of my favorite Physx implementations. They better not fuck this up somehow and "upgrade" existing PC version with this one if it does not have this.

Not only on explosions

m.youtube.com

APEX PhysX in Mafia II: Clothing

Comparison PhysX Video for Mafia II title - Part I: APEX Clothing moduleAPEX PhysX in Mafia II - Particleshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iuVdLl5CIMNot satis...

Yeah the Physx stuff is quite nice. The PC version has been good, though not played it in years so not sure how it handles new hardware and higher resolutions. Also can't remember if there is any framerate cap.
Either way I hope they don't screw up the PC version

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Maybe I should hurry and buy the original Mafia II on steam before they could replace it with this glitchy ass version, right?

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
The scene in Mafia II that ties it to the original doesn't really "ruin" Mafia I, because you'll be lacking the proper context for it, but it is far more effective if you played the original game first. I wouldn't wait until the Mafia Remake/Remaster is out to play Mafia II, though.

I would play Mafia II before playing Mafia III. It's not a direct sequel, but the character who appears in both games is pretty major. You want to see his full arc in the proper progression.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of an improvement it is over the Xbox One BC version, which I already have

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
How do you asume it doesn't have Physx and APEX? The game even has the PhysX logo on PS4 version and starts with it.
Physx is no longer bound to PC since the start of this gen and multiple games used it on every platform like Witcher 3 and UE4 has it integrated by default so every UE4 game.

PhysX is proprietary physics solution for Nvidia GPUs.

Nope, Not anymore. It's even open source now.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know for sure what will happen to existing Steam versions? Is there any free upgrade thing happening at all? If it is then it would be nice to know if old versions will stay... just in case...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know for sure what will happen to existing Steam versions? Is there any free upgrade thing happening at all? If it is then it would be nice to know if old versions will stay... just in case...

Yes me too. Also I wonder if they will pack all versions with the PS3 only DLC that was only sold In Russia on steam.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
- It's bad and i mean a bad, game was for few hours on AU PSN store someone streamed it and:
- audio is broken, it's mono (dialogs in one ear and other sounds in other)
- framerate is so bad on ps4 pro sometimes it's below 20fps, also some cutscenes are not smooth (and yes there was already 1.0.1 patch and it barely fixed anything, it only added 2K logo in the corner when you are not logged into their account)
- sounds of guns and fights are now new and it sounds so weird
- not to mention it's buggy
- facial expressions look worse than in normal game, but sometimes it looks great
- and a lot more
- remaster is made by d3t ltd so that explains everything

Am disappointed, here is hoping that they will fix a lot of this

I mean, the gameplays right there for all of us to watch and it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as you're saying ?

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I mean, the gameplays right there for all of us to watch and it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as you're saying ?
this gameplay is only 12minutes and the beginning, watch some of the stream that i linked above, it's quite something
maybe it's not that bad as my post says for someone but i hoped for normal experience, they should fix it soon

Last edited:

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit please tell me that 2K thing goes away if you log in. Why the fuck would you even leave it hanging there

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
- It's bad and i mean a bad, game was for few hours on AU PSN store someone streamed it and:
- audio is broken, it's mono (dialogs in one ear and other sounds in other)
- framerate is so bad on ps4 pro sometimes it's below 20fps, also some cutscenes are not smooth (and yes there was already 1.0.1 patch and it barely fixed anything, it only added 2K logo in the corner when you are not logged into their account)
- sounds of guns and fights are now new and it sounds so weird
- not to mention it's buggy
- facial expressions look worse than in normal game, but sometimes it looks great
- and a lot more
- remaster is made by d3t ltd so that explains everything

Am disappointed, here is hoping that they will fix a lot of this

Yes I noticed this big problem with the audio and it seems like MIDI quality even and I was like what?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing this'll be a Deus Ex: HR and Sleeping Dogs situation where a new port that is inferior in many ways replaces the old release for sale on Steam? If so, damn, Mafia II original isn't cheap right now.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't look that great.

My perspective as a games collector (assuming they bring this out on disk), is that if 1 is going to be this all singing all dancing game, 2 is going to stand out as the poor looking one.This will really get on my nerves as a games collector...lol.

PS I also hate Login to our service messages, and I really don't like it. I couldn't even play Doom the other day because it was suggested I create or login to an account (couldn't skip it), absolute pants.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
where did you watch?
here is more than 5hours of gameplay, running on PS4 Pro, or check some clips of that stream.
Yes there was 1.01 update but it barely fixed anything, if only it added 2K logo in the corner when you did not log in.
granted framerate is not that bad, but sometimes it's really yikes even in cutscenes

Wait why is there no cloth physics at all? Even the Xbox 360 version had cloth physics!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I can't recall any game that has the same PC Physx content ported over though. Are there any examples?

thats because gpu accelerated physx is extremely expensive, sadly. Pretty much all physx stuff runs on the CPU now, even on PC. That being said there definitely could have been more effort put into Mafia 2's implementation here, and i wouldnt be surprised if it was still physx(hence the logo), just extremely scaled back.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
thats because gpu accelerated physx is extremely expensive, sadly. Pretty much all physx stuff runs on the CPU now, even on PC. That being said there definitely could have been more effort put into Mafia 2's implementation here, and i wouldnt be surprised if it was still physx(hence the logo), just extremely scaled back.

On PC, you can choose if you want it to run on the CPU or GPU.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They expect people to play this and be excited for the Mafia 1 remake? 🤔

And then they would say there's no interest in the franchise and kill it...

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
The comparison doesn't look bad, but they better still have the PhysX effects in the PC version.