• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
And yes, the review is (almost) and hour and half long.

God damn dude.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Idk how people post these super long reviews. Editing that must take some serious time. But I guess this is their job, so it's worth it. Adding this to my list. Thanks op!

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Knowing him, either he hated it or he "liked" it but will keep making comparisons to the older games, specifically TTYD.

Probably gonna say good things about the soundtrack.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it. He literally says he's done saying nice things about it like 18 minutes in. It's in places a fair critique but I don't really agree with it and personally loved the game. There's also a rant towards the end that gets a little... unhinged...

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing him, either he hated it or he "liked" it but will keep making comparisons to the older games, specifically TTYD.

Probably gonna say good things about the soundtrack.

He actually thought the OST was unremarkable. I'm only like 10 minutes in but he's more positive on some aspects than I expected. I didn't care for Olivia and he loved her.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
There's also a rant towards the end that gets a little... unhinged...
I wouldn't go as far, but yeah I skipped towards the end to for "in conclusion" before watching the entire video later and that wasn't really that good of a first impression for the vid.

Kinda turned me off, not gonna lie. A bit too... uh, "passionate" for me

Last edited:

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling he's a little too attached to the old and doesn't embrace the new direction with Paper Mario

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Finally! Looking forward to listen to him vent it out at last.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I skipped to the end and the guy kind of comes across as an old man yelling at clouds at the end there.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Don't really know how IS managed to totally revive Fire Emblem from the grave, and put out one of the best games of 2019 in 3 Houses, yet, they can't do anything about Paper Mario or WarioWare anymore.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
TL;DR is that he'd prefer they went all the way on new experiences - Nintendo says the games aren't RPGs anymore, but are forcing themselves into a box that very much looks like an RPG. He heavily disliked ring battles, which more or less completely hampered the game for him. Everything else he seemed fairly happy about - he would much rather the game had utilized the combat with the action combat from the overworld entirely.

Last edited:

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
I love how he made a video talking about how paper mario discussion is toxic due to old and new fans arguing, then posts this.

And I don't mean the review itself. His criticisms are fair. But making an entire HOUR of being critical about it, and then going into that stupid and childish rant at the end. The hypocrisy is real.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TL;DR is that he's prefer they went all the way on new experiences - Nintendo says the games aren't RPGs anymore, but are forcing themselves into a box that very much looks like an RPG. He heavily disliked ring battles, which more or less completely hampered the game for him. Everything else he seemed fairly happy about - he would much rather the game had utilized the combat with the action combat from the overworld entirely.
seems fair

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
TL;DR is that he's prefer they went all the way on new experiences - Nintendo says the games aren't RPGs anymore, but are forcing themselves into a box that very much looks like an RPG. He heavily disliked ring battles, which more or less completely hampered the game for him. Everything else he seemed fairly happy about - he would much rather the game had utilized the combat with the action combat from the overworld entirely.
I enjoyed the boss battles a lot, but I can't disagree too much with him there when it comes to normal battles (although it didn't really hamper the game for me, they just wore thin after a while)

They should just drop these vestiges of an RPG altogether and give us fleshed paper macho battles in the next one.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord that rant at the end.

And most of it is assumptions...
Yeah, the whole "Millions of fans are DEMANDING you make Paper Mario how I like it!" bit, and then tries to argue the game is a relative sales failure because the Switch has a larger install base than the GameCube did is just... yikes? Like, Yeah, feel free to shit on the game, but his appeal to what he assumes to be the masses that agree with him (and it's not just Paper Mario) just makes it harder and harder for me to take the things of value he has to say seriously.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017

TBH I agree with a lot of this. Also disliked the ring battles. Loved a lot about the game but wanted to avoid battles at all costs. The ring battles weren't that fun of a concept for my tastes and without a real XP system I often found myself feeling like they weren't worth my time.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the whole "Millions of fans are DEMANDING you make Paper Mario how I like it!" bit, and then tries to argue the game is a relative sales failure because the Switch has a larger install base than the GameCube did is just... yikes? Like, Yeah, feel free to shit on the game, but his appeal to what he assumes to be the masses that agree with him (and it's not just Paper Mario) just makes it harder and harder for me to take the things of value he has to say seriously.
It's fascinating how little Arlo's myopia has progressed since his legendary Hey Pikmin video

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Yeah, the whole "Millions of fans are DEMANDING you make Paper Mario how I like it!" bit, and then tries to argue the game is a relative failure because the Switch has a larger install base than the GameCube did is just... yikes? Like, Yeah, feel free to shit on the game, but his appeal to what he assumes to be the masses that agree with him (and it's not just Paper Mario) just makes it harder and harder for me to take the things of value he has to say seriously.
A thread on ResetERA about the game's sales had some people arguing that a TTYD remaster would have surely outsold it

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017

He's pretty bad about recognizing that some things just aren't for him and takes it personally when a franchise makes changes he's not into. He has like a checklist of things he likes in games and anything that doesn't line up with that gets heavily criticized as dumbed down.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
The puppet's glory days and formation as a gamer was the GameCube era, and that influence is seen here. TOK isn't TTYD, and that's the gold standard in his eyes (which is fair, it's just that his position is almost a meme at this point).

His overreactions and weirdly depressive antics kinda wore on me, and his dismissal to ever look beyond his own blinders (He didn't like the Terry reveal, and made a conspiracy that Nintendo knew that no one likes/knows Terry so thats why they announced more DLC spots) is such a downer.

I get that we all have our opinions and perspectives, but a bit of outward understanding would really help him seem more conversational and encouraging. But its his shtick and its working for him.

That, and he has a video defending Sunshine *gasp*. Truly unforgivable. ;)

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A thread on ResetERA about the game's sales had some people arguing that a TTYD remaster would have surely outsold it
TTYD is hands down my favorite Paper Mario game, but it would have at best sold similarly. Origami King has been out only a few months and is knocking on 3 million before its first holiday quarter.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think any game needs an 1 1/2 long critique, but is this a genuine critique or is it typical Arlo fashion of "it's not TTYD 2 so I hate it" or "even if I liked it, it's not TTYD 2 so I still hated it" or does it actually have substance?

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
He could very easily get the entire point across in like 10 minutes and lose absolutely nothing in the video. Dragging it out like this just makes me immediately ignore him from now on.

Man, GameCube Kids are incredibly predictable huh.

And now seeing the comments on how he reacted to Terry being in Smash, yeah that's just a big ol ignore forever from me.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like this is another Paper Mario game desperate to fight against being a Paper Mario game. I mean, it apparently isn't an RPG, but it is still clearly, in a lot of ways, an RPG. Which creates a lot of problems (especially when it comes to the character progression system).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That embarrassing rant at the end

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I like TTYD as much as the next guy, but arguing a remaster or "true" sequel would've easily outsold Origami King seems like a bit of a stretch. Like it or not, the game is quite successful. I can't really see a throwback RPG doing significantly better numbers. The market has grown a lot since the GameCube, but the market of people looking specifically for Gamecube games, not so much.