• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
A few days ago I saw a Japanese mutual of mine tweeting about a JP PSN demo version for Mad Rat Dead, the rhythm platformer coming in a few months from Nippon-Ichi Software. I'd seen the Japanese trailer a few weeks prior, and it already looked super different from pretty much every other game out there:

The artwork is cool as all hell, the music is great, and style is just oozing out of that trailer. Needless to say - I was curious to see just how the game felt to play.

In a word - it's difficult, but once you get in a groove it's a *ton* of fun. The demo lets you play a handful of stages up through the first "boss fight" stage and I'm already itching to play more.

I guess I'm not really shocked that nobody is talking about it - the game's announcement kinda just got dropped out of nowhere, IIRC, and the English trailer just doesn't sell the game nearly as well as the Japanese one. Anyone else played the demo on the JP PSN? Not sure if it's also on the JP eShop, maybe?

Oct 26, 2017
Also coming to Switch and may have a demo on the JP eShop as well.

Edit: Ah, you mentioned the eShop at the very end there.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd dismissed it for now as a 'buy with hefty discount' mid-tier budget Nippon Ichi game. But I love rhythm platformers, so I'll definitely give the demo a look thanks to your recommendation.

The trailer reminded me a lot of Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit, but with Crypt of the Necrodancer rhythm mechanics.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'd dismissed it for now as a 'buy with hefty discount' mid-tier budget Nippon Ichi game. But I love rhythm platformers, so I'll definitely give the demo a look thanks to your recommendation.

The trailer reminded me a lot of Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit, but with Crypt of the Necrodancer rhythm mechanics.

It's still definitely a budget game, but it feels super unique.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
while is perfectly playble on switch, there''s a lot of framerate dip when the camera zoom out!

I really recommend the ps4 version more for this one if you don't plan to play portable