• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
macOS Catalina, the latest version of the world's most advanced desktop operating system, is now available as a free software update. With macOS Catalina, users are able to enjoy Apple Arcade, a groundbreaking new game subscription service featuring new, exclusive games from some of the world's most creative developers. Adding to great entertainment on the Mac, Catalina also features all-new Mac versions of Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple TV apps. A new feature called Sidecar extends Mac desktops with iPad as a second display, or tablet input device using Apple Pencil with Mac apps. Voice Control, a transformative accessibility feature, allows Mac to be controlled entirely by voice. With Mac Catalyst, a new technology in Catalina that makes it easy for third-party developers to bring iPad apps to Mac, users will begin to see their favorite iPad apps in Mac versions, including Twitter, TripIt, Post-It, GoodNotes and Jira, with more to come. And for the first time, Screen Time comes to Mac, giving users insight into how they spend time in apps and on websites, and the ability to decide how to spend their time.

Apple Arcade: Now on Mac App Store
With a subscription to Apple Arcade for $4.99 per month, users get unlimited access to an unprecedented catalog of games on Mac, all of which can also be played on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV. Games can even be played across devices, so players can pick up from their last game save, whether they're at home or on the go. On Mac, games can be played with keyboard and trackpad or mouse, and many games support controllers as well, including Xbox Wireless Controllers with Bluetooth and PlayStation DualShock 4.

New Entertainment Apps: Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple TV
Three all-new apps — Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple TV— replace iTunes and make it easy and fun to discover and enjoy music, TV shows, movies and podcasts on Mac. The new Music app is fast and features over 50 million songs, playlists and music videos. Users will have access to their entire music library and new music can still be purchased from the iTunes Store.

Sidecar: Expand Mac Workspace and Creativity with iPad
The new Sidecar feature extends a user's Mac workspace by using iPad as a second display, allowing them to spread out their work. With Sidecar, you can use an iPad display for tablet input to draw, sketch or write with Apple Pencil in any Apple or third-party Mac app that supports stylus input. Sidecar runs on a wired connection so users can charge their iPad as they work, or on a wireless connection for greater mobility, using everything from illustration apps and video editing apps to 3D apps, like Photoshop, Illustrator and ZBrush.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Gonna try to see if I can get my Wii U Pro Controller working with macOS tonight so I can try out Apple Arcade.

Doubt it'll work, but I gotta try anyway.

Edit: RIP iTunes. Man I'll miss it. So many memories over the last 17 years.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
source.gif

Nov 5, 2017
I am not upgrading right away, but I will test how stable this build is compared to previous beta builds on a separate partition/volume.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda scared of the iTunes to Music update. Is all your shit just... there? Do you have to set up again at all?

I don't think I have the nerve to update this on my work machine..

I always wait like a month or two to update my machine, which is basically my work machine. There's really never much that I'm hyped on updating asap anyway. Let them work the bugs out.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give this a week but I'm excited to upgrade. First I just need to get feedback from Photoshop, ZBrush, Maya and Blender users.

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also excited for the possibility of some iPad apps to be ported over easily with Apple's project catalyst... especially music production apps.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I have like two more days of work before vacation so I'll wait.

Don't want to risk spend my last two days dealing with bugs and I've heard things aren't looking great.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
If you do any music production on Mac, be careful about updating to Catalina. Seems it breaks a TON of plug-ins/instruments; have been bombarded with a gazillion warning emails lately.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's pretty buggy, colleague at work is having quite a few problems.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
If you do any music production on Mac, be careful about updating to Catalina. Seems it breaks a TON of plug-ins/instruments; have been bombarded with a gazillion warning emails lately.
Soundtoys, Waves and UA seemed to work a few Betas ago, but logic refused to bounce

i have some recording Sessions this week but I'll still upgrade because I am dumb and let you guys know what's what.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I updated to Catalina but don't see the Final Cut Pro or Motion updates.....I keep reading they are out.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Some dumb questions.

Why are Chrome plugins for OneTab and Ghostery showing up in Go64? Use OneTab semi-frequently. Will that upgrade affect it?

Also, what's a good desktop MS Office alternative that's not MS Office or the iWork suite (Pages/Sheets/et al)? Rarely have to use office, but I've been using a copy of MS Office 2008 when I do.

And why does the MS Office uninstall say I have to close VS Code? What would VS Code be using from Office 2008?

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the performance will not suffer for my MBA 2012. I want to use it for another year.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
As badly as I want to update, I'm going to wait juuuust a while to make sure there aren't any compatibility issues with Adobe Creative Cloud. Last update broke some features for me and put me behind on a project, so I'm gonna hang tight on this one, as much as I desperately want to update in order to use my iPad in Sidecar, lol.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone try if Photoshop has pressure sensitivity when using Sidecar? Or is it still only Illustrator?

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Looks and feels really neat for now (MBP 13" 2013/16GB RAM/512GB SSD), except that I can't connect my 2018 iPad Pro to it via sidecar. I can connect it to Bluetooth, but it won't show up on Sidecar. Connecting it via usb-c doesn't work either. Any tips?

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
It is absolutely nowhere near ready. The release candidate broke Apple TV playback entirely on my MacBook.

They really shouldn't have released this.

May 9, 2018
So far not having any issues on my 2016 Macbook Pro.

Sidecar is excellent: near 60fps, can't click on sidecar device but can two-finger scroll, can be used if already have an external monitor.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Looks and feels really neat for now (MBP 13" 2013/16GB RAM/512GB SSD), except that I can't connect my 2018 iPad Pro to it via sidecar. I can connect it to Bluetooth, but it won't show up on Sidecar. Connecting it via usb-c doesn't work either. Any tips?

I believe your Mac is too old. There's a compatibility list somewhere.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Ugh, I caved. Jumped into my iMac remotely and started the download, should be good when I get home.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
alright literally all my music stuff I tired so far is working. trying my UA Arrow tomorrow but I'm sure it's fine. They only said the installer is borked, going to assume it's 32 bit.