• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how many people know this but I learned the no clip method way to late in life.

da8c47f9325b6430a1e071ecba86b9be.png

Also

https://i./1s/2018/11/20/11/6419792-6409489-To_use_the_feature_iPhone_users_should_tap_and_hold_down_on_the_-a-33_1542712175139.jpg

Last edited:

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is less of a general fact, and more of a cultural revelation about a TV show, but regarding Sailor Moon...

I was looking up at the moon and chatting with my girlfriend about how Asian cultures like Japan and Korea don't see a "man in the moon", they see a rabbit making ricecake. I knew this already, but suddenly my brain connected all the dots. That's why Sailor Moon's name is Usagi (rabbit). That's why her hair is like that (they're rabbit ears). Because in Japan the moon and rabbits are connected. That's probably self-evident in Japan but it took me 25+ years to realize it.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is one of the most painful things I've ever watched.

After the first bit, all I could think was, "Just put the camera down somewhere and use both hands, ffs!"
I have this reaction almost any time someone tries to do something with one hand in a video and they're struggling. Two seconds of the phone not recording something >>>>>>> you struggling.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
A rooster isn't required for hens to lay eggs.

You'd think that would be knowledge you retain as a kid but I was an embarrasded adult getting the talk about where babies come from.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Frank Skinner calls these on his radio show "Idiotic Eureka Moments" which I quite like.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
So here's one that will blow everyone's minds

Alright so you know Candle-jack right ? Well it tur

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Until this last summer, I thought yellow dandelions and fluffy dandelions were two different flowers.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That chinese takeout box revelation seems lame. In box form, all the food is compact and keeps in the heat better.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I think i was well in my teenage years when i learned that muscle = meat. I thought you had skin, fat, muscle and meat.
In biology class, when i found out, i was like: :"fuuuuuuuck, so glad i never mentioned this to anybody otherwise i'd be laughed at so hard"
Now i don't care anymore, haha.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The pleated cups aren't pleated, so you can expand them... they're pleated, because how else are you going to turn a single piece of paper into a stable cup?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That chinese takeout box revelation seems lame. In box form, all the food is compact and keeps in the heat better.
It's only good if you want to add something like soy sauce because having it flat allows you to more evenly distribute it. Otherwise I agree, leave it in box form and eat it that way.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Greg James on UK Radio 1 used to have a segemen on this called "Shouldn't be News", when his show moved to the mornings it's now called the "Fact Controller" where people send in (often anonymously) things they found out that just should not have taken that long.

Highlights include "hale bays in black bags are not cows eggs".

It's worth a listen.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Realized that energy drinks were much more harmful for teeth than I thought. Can't reverse the damage now.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some straight up nonsense in this thread.
Also, does ANYONE do those stupid tricks with the ketchup cup, Chinese food, or potato chips? If anyone did that I would laugh at them.

Wow, I never thought of it that way.

Mine is The Count on Sesame Street. I was almost 20 by the time I realized they call him that because he counts numbers, not just because he's a vampire. I guess I just took it too literally, or not literally enough. lol
It's both. It's called a "double-entendre" which is what makes it clever.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
throughout my entire childhood I thought that the "D" in the Walt Disney logo was just some weird symbol that represented D.. Like, it looked like a weird backwards G or something. The weird curl at the end threw me off completely and I didn't realize much later that it was actually just the letter D.

waltdisneylogo.jpg

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Some straight up nonsense in this thread.
Also, does ANYONE do those stupid tricks with the ketchup cup, Chinese food, or potato chips? If anyone did that I would laugh at them.

It's both. It's called a "double-entendre" which is what makes it clever.
I agree about the Chinese food and the ketchup cup. Makes no sense to turn bowls into weird flimsy plates, especially for liquid substances. What kind of gigantic fries are you using that you can't just use the ketchup cup as is?

But the chips tho, have a party and not enough bowls for all the chips you're putting out? Don't want bags on their sides so thence hips just flop out onto the table and make a mess? The bowl thing is legit and actually useful my friend.

///

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
throughout my entire childhood I thought that the "D" in the Walt Disney logo was just some weird symbol that represented D.. Like, it looked like a weird backwards G or something. The weird curl at the end threw me off completely and I didn't realize much later that it was actually just the letter D.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
The cursor move is any key it's not just space. How about that!
I don't understand why eating it off of a flimsy 'plate' is better than just out of a carton tbh.

Also passed off that I just watched a grown man struggle so much with that for over a minute because he was only using one hand.
Yeah considering how saucy many Chinese takeout dishes are this is actually making things worse.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
So you have a pile of ketchup on a weird flimsy plate? I don't buy it.
Yes. The cup is still somewhat concave, and it winds up holding like twice as much due to ketchup's viscosity. I don't know what there is not to buy. It's not like I have some vested interest in deceiving people about ketchup containment.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix down the bombcast revealed that to me

Same. Phoenix's rise back up when they are down. That's what they are known for, and that's what I thought the word vaguely referred to. Then, I like, go put on my Goose Down coat and go ut ito Colorado winters. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also did not know you could stack fruit in later Animal Crossings. Why wouldn't such a fucking chatty game mention that!

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
Same. Phoenix's rise back up when they are down. That's what they are known for, and that's what I thought the word vaguely referred to. Then, I like, go put on my Goose Down coat and go ut ito Colorado winters. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also did not know you could stack fruit in later Animal Crossings. Why wouldn't such a fucking chatty game mention that!

Wait....That's not what is referring to? 😐

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I have built dozens of computers for myself and others over the years. During that time, I have lost quite a few side panel thumb screws.

It didn't occur to me until this last one that I should just screw the thumb screws back into the case once the panel was off to keep them secured.

I felt like the worlds dumbest person once it occurred to me.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
There are like two categories of things being described in here. 1.) Actual real life subtleties that people haven't noticed (keyboard trick, gascap arrow, etc.) 2.) "Life Hacks" The ketchup and chinese box thing. Both of those items act the way they do because they're super cheaply constructed, not because either of the things pointed out are intended to be used that way.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Maybe cruise control for me? Never used it (and never even understood it) until about a year ago. And maybe because of advancement in car technology, my car makes it amazing. I can slow down/speed up by just using the instruments on the steering wheel.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I never thought of it that way.

Mine is The Count on Sesame Street. I was almost 20 by the time I realized they call him that because he counts numbers, not just because he's a vampire. I guess I just took it too literally, or not literally enough. lol

The character also exists because a very old myth that vampires count compulsively (Arithmomania).

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
5-AA62581-D1-B2-469-F-9-B43-8504732-AD951.png
Thanks to someone rebumping a thread on Twitter which was posted last August by Gary Whitta, I found out this week that Bennet in the Movie Commando was wearing a Knitted Vest not Chainmail.

The obvious part being that it probably be to heavy to run around in on set, and due to low definition TV's years ago seems thats why I like many others mistook it for chainmail, lower definition made it look like metal.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT?!?!?!

The fact that he's running round in a string vest and not metal makes the character even funnier than he already was!

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
You could just force-press anywhere on the iOS keyboard to move the cursor around. That's been possible since iPhone 6s (first iphone with force touch). The tap-and-hold spacebar thing has been introduced just recently in ios12, because they wanted something that works on iPhone XR.
To be fair the X is my first phone with force touch. Upgraded from a 6+. Does the XR not have it?