• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
While higher taxes would be great, higher taxes would never be able to claim straight-up half of her net worth, and the money is also far better off in the hands of selected charities than it is in the coffers of a Republican-led Congress and Executive who will, undoubtedly, spend it making the lives of non-white people worse, and bolstering military spending.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. She joined a group of 204 other incredibly wealthy individuals who have signed such a pledge.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
While higher taxes would be great, higher taxes would never be able to claim straight-up half of her net worth, and the money is also far better off in the hands of selected charities than it is in the coffers of a Republican-led Congress and Executive who will, undoubtedly, spend it making the lives of non-white people worse, and bolstering military spending.

I feel like it's unnecessarily cynical to argue against solutions with "we aren't competent enough to do that". We obviously aren't, or it would already be so. But, if you want to end up somewhere you have to start walking in it's direction.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Once again it's a woman who shows how it's supposed to be done...

Many (almost every?) tech billionaire enters a donation phase after a certain age.

The rationale is that people like Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, etc can do more in their prime to build wealth and then give away more of that wealth later in life. It does seem to stand up to scrutiny, if Gates had been taxed at very high rates from the start his total contributions would be paltry compared to the $30b+ he has donated so far to help vaccinate kids, develop new vaccines, etc.

Same with Bezos I imagine, once he feels that he is too old to run Amazon he will probably start giving away his money and it will be $100b+ instead of the $10b or so it would have been if it was taxed. The argument that he only earned that $100b+ by exploiting workers and capitalism/stock markets is of course a matter for another debate.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Bill and Melinda Gates were the founder of that pledge (along with Warren Buffet). They're planning on eventually giving almost of their money away - their children will be millionaires, but not billionaires.

To be fair, their kids could become billionaires themselves off businesses and investments they might make.
What if

we just

taxed it

You can if and when she sells her stock. Otherwise this is all previously earned monies.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
i swear, liberals may be just as well be republicans at this point

"you cant trust the government with your money its better for unaccountable private interests to hoard it and donate it to "charities" for tax write offs and gathering
influence"

It seems we hear more often about pledges to give a fortune away than the actual act.

it feels like we're back in the olden times.

we're supposed to fawn over some person donating when the problem is this class of people of massive power and influence existing in the first place.

its sucker shit.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck am I reading.... she is giving 18 billion away that she didn't have to. You people are a trip.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Billionaires 'donating'? Well, look at how great is Zuckerberg's heart:

The wording of Zuckerberg's 2015 letter could easily have been interpreted as meaning that he was intending to donate $45bn to charity. As investigative reporter Jesse Eisinger reported at the time, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative through which this giving was to be funnelled is not a not-for-profit charitable foundation, but a limited liability company. This legal status has significant practical implications, especially when it comes to tax. As a company, the Initiative can do much more than charitable activity: its legal status gives it rights to invest in other companies, and to make political donations. Effectively the company does not restrict Zuckerberg's decision-making as to what he wants to do with his money; he is very much the boss. Moreover, as Eisinger described it, Zuckerberg's bold move yielded a huge return on investment in terms of public relations for Facebook, even though it appeared that he simply "moved money from one pocket to the other" while being "likely never to pay any taxes on it".

Gonna move money from his own pocket to a company he controls, meaning, his own pocket as well. Won't pay taxes on that, can use the money however he wants and benefits from becoming a 'great donor!'. In reality it's a way of protecting his assets...

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What the fuck am I reading.... she is giving 18 billion away that she didn't have to. You people are a trip.
Cool. Nobody should be rewarded for giving away that much money because nobody should have that much money in the first place, the fact that you're defending her "generosity" when she still has more money than entire towns is just sad.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
No person on earth is genuinely worth this much.

While we all will be all "awwwwwh how nice of her", remember the gilded nature of her life in general, living off a meager 18 billion dollars.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
For those asking 'why only half?', she's signing the Giving Pledge, and that's the pledge: to commit a majority of their wealth to philanthropy. It doesn't preclude anyone from giving more.

You always hear stories like this and I'm like... what charities? That seems like way more than any amount of charities could use. Imagine even 1 billion being flooded into an economy, community, hell even third world country. I don't want to judge her but man if she really is in the giving spirit and want to help.... there is so much she could do to really change the world.

Total charitable giving for FY was more than $400B. Philanthropy is a big, big business - I should know as my job is in the field.

If philanthropists' goals are to address some of the world's most pressing problems, dumping loads of money into struggling economies or areas sounds good. In practice, it rarely is an efficient way of allocating resources, as not every situation has the personnel, expertise, or infrastructure necessary to properly transform philanthropy into positive outcomes. There's an argument for, and some evidence of success with, 'direct philanthropy', but the data is mixed at best and it hasn't proven to have the longer-lasting, signature achievements that say the Gates' work around vaccines or other investments into medical research have.

Just like other businesses, charities and non-profits have varying levels of effectiveness. Hint: Charity Navigator ratings (and other similar systems) are not great ways to determine, as a philanthropist, where to spend your money.

Last edited:

Link Man

Oct 25, 2017
There are "charities" that support anti-LGBTQ+ policies and anti-abortion policies, so unless we get a list of what she's donating to, I'm not gonna celebrate this.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
They both likely have given more to charity than this entire board combined several thousand times over if not more.

He's certainly taken many times more than he's given away. He's also worth several million times more than several thousand people combined. I'd rather he just paid his fair taxes to be honest, and didn't treat his employees like shit.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So much damn respect for her. If I were in here position, I would give nearly everything away, as who really needs that amount of money? I would be paying off student debt and medical bills for so many with that money.
She went from more money than her great grandchildren could possibly spend to [checks notes] more money than her great grandchildren could possibly spend.
It's better than not giving it away, sure, but why do you have so much respect for someone who wouldn't go as far as you yourself would have done?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
They both likely have given more to charity than this entire board combined several thousand times over if not more.
Because they have more money combined than this entire board several thousand times over. Jesus christ there's a reason we don't use a flat tax rate.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
Wait.. why is this thread so negative?

because philanthropy is bullshit

This series on Bill Gates by Citations Needed is a good start for understanding why most of this is smoke and mirrors:

soundcloud.com

Episode 45: The Not-So-Benevolent Billionaire - Bill Gates and Western Media

Russia, as we all know, has sinister “oligarchs” whereas in the United States, we are told, we have “philanthropists,” “job creators,” and “titans of industry” who earn their wealth through hard work,

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
because philanthropy is bullshit

This series on Bill Gates by Citations Needed is a good start for understanding why most of this is smoke and mirrors:

soundcloud.com

Episode 45: The Not-So-Benevolent Billionaire - Bill Gates and Western Media

Russia, as we all know, has sinister “oligarchs” whereas in the United States, we are told, we have “philanthropists,” “job creators,” and “titans of industry” who earn their wealth through hard work,

Citations Needed is a fucking great podcast exposing the gilded. The callouts to Bill Gates, Steven Pinker, and the nonsense of philanthropy - really, it's "charitable capitalism" - is a needed breath of fresh air from thinking these people are sincerely do gooders.

Really helped wake me up to the "global south" idea, too.

Oct 29, 2017
Cool of her.

I'd like to think I'd give away billions in her place. I can't even imagine how I'd spend 1 billion dollars much less 30+. On the other hand, imagine setting up your descendants to never want for anything, in perpetuity. It's an attractive thought.

Who do you give this amount of money to, anyway? I assume this isn't going to soup kitchens. Medical research?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Tho to be quiet honest. She's literally putting the money through another company so she can wash her hands of Amazon Cash and be able to use it anywhere. I'd at most expect 500milllion to leave her pockets for charity.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
She went from more money than her great grandchildren could possibly spend to [checks notes] more money than her great grandchildren could possibly spend.
It's better than not giving it away, sure, but why do you have so much respect for someone who wouldn't go as far as you yourself would have done?

I see your point, but not enough wealthy individuals are willing to part with that kind of money besides those who have already signed the agreement. Greed is such an issue right now that it's just nice to see someone receive all of that money to just give it for a better cause. Could she get rid of more? Absolutely. Most wealthy people can, but it's a step in the right direction as far as I am concerned.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta keep that other $18.5 billion in case we stumble on a planet that she wants to purchase.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Are you guys out of your minds? she's giving away 18 billion and you're mad shes not giving away more?

the hell kind of attitude is that?