• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 17, 2018
No. He realistically knows everything that they have in the pipeline but you know, he's not going to just say "I knew it". He's not zhige or somebody
This is playing dumb mixed with foreshadowing.
He's an executive. It's possible for him to both be aware of the project and to also be excited to learn more. It's impossible for somebody at his level to be dialed into the details of every project. That's what managers are for.

I know, I just think the way he phrased it is funny.

Like, Todd Howard knocked on his door and said "hey, can I have millions of dollars to make an Indiana Jones game? Yes or No answers only."

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
i'm gonna be really interested to see how this game handles the myriad of colonialist/racist tropes that are present in many indiana jones stories

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
If this is an existing exclusive deal between Xbox and LucasFilm why can't MS say so? It would be separate from the publisher purchase so surely they'd be allowed? If it isn't an exclusive then it won't automatically become one when the purchase goes through.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
img_0831hgk22.jpg

My buddy realizing he's been outmaneuvered.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
The licenses current state definitely matters, anything outside of the current terms will have to be renogotiated $$$.

Disney has never mandated platforms

I think I really need to remind people that Sony is a competitor to Disney in movies. Why would Disney demand to prop up their competition?

Platform inclusion is even more rare than license exclusivity (exclusion) and the only companies we know about that demand such a thing are sports leagues (as seen with The Show being forced to come to Xbox) as they rely on viewership numbers and less people playing the games means less people watching the live games. There is no type of symbiotic relationship between games and movies that comes remotely close to sports.

To put it more succinctly, Disney does not care. The Indiana Jones license likely isn't exclusive (to bethesda), either. So I'd expect if it does well, a bunch of other companies will pick up the license to make their own games.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I have a feeling that all the "LOL there is no way it is going to be multiplat" is going to turn into "the game was announced before they were acquired, so obviously its multiplat" from the very same people if it is.

Why not wait for the details?

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
If this is an existing exclusive deal between Xbox and LucasFilm why can't MS say so? It would be separate from the publisher purchase so surely they'd be allowed? If it isn't an exclusive then it won't automatically become one when the purchase goes through.
It's almost certainly an exclusive given the developer but they probably can't say so because the deal isn't "official" to buy Bethesda yet

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
If Disney was publishing it, sure. All signs point to it being a BGS published title, which in a few months means that's an Xbox published title once it finally comes out.

It's not just depending on the publisher. The contract between ZeniMax and Disney is important. If Disney was promised royalities for every copy sold on Xbox and PlayStation consoles, they can't just cancel the PS version.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

There could be a dozen reasons that nobody here would be privy to. People on both sides of this argument are basically seeing what they want to see in order to try and validate their own preferences.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
That Phil tweet is weird. Is he being coy there, as if he didn't know about this before today, or just using vague language to say he can't wait for more to be put out there?

I'm not a gamer like most here but wasn't there a really good Indy game back in the day? Last gen or the gen before? Hopefully they can take some inspiration from that and not Uncharted/Tomb Raider.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm beginning to think there might be a whole lot more to this Bethesda acquisition than we first thought. I guess everything will be revealed once the acquisition is done. also I wouldn't be surprised to see more Bethesda teams working on external IPs.

Obsidian - KOTOR 1, 2 remake and KOTOR 3.

And I'm still surprised that MS hasn't approached Marvel Games for a property or two for their internal teams....or have they? Deadpool Ninja Theory game here we go!

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Multiplatform or xbox exclusive? It's strange this is being announced before MS have actually acquired them though. Is it an another outer world's situation?

Curious to see what it turns out like. They need fords likeness and the sound-alike needs to nail it. I really hope they don't hire ford himself for the VO. he's been phoning In his roles for the last 30 years

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I expect in the future Gamepass to rely heavily on licensed games to broaden its appeal.
Step one is to get the core shutdowns, step to make the service more appealing to casual players with big names in entertaiment attached to it.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they learned some important lessons from the Wolfenstein sequel. What a disappointment.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Having Todd Howard as producer is definitely not a plus to be shouting from the rooftops in your press release. Especially after all his proven falsehoods, like the Fallout76 debacle.

Todd Howard has also received criticism primarily due to most of his games being bug ridden upon release and his tendency to lie in interviews regarding the features and state of his game projects.

https://amp.knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/todd-howard

Fallout76 E3 Reveal
Todd Howard lying became a meme, but the thing is, he rarely lies outright. He exaggerated a lot (like with the 200 endings, which is true only from a certain point of view). Some features he promised ended up being cut, which is why Bethesda now doesn't talk about their new games until 4-5 months before the launch.

As for FO76, it's not exactly his fault that people only hear what they want to hear. It was immediately obvious to me from his FO76 E3 presentation that it's an online multiplayer game without NPCs, but the fans didn't want to accept it and then got angry at Todd "for lying."

"16 times the detail" became a meme, but it depends on what he meant by that. The game does have a new rendering process which loads in 16x as much stuff as before. Notice how the game has almost no loading screens? That's where that comes in. A lot of spaces that would have been interior loads in Fallout 4 are part of the overworld in 76. So yes, FO76 could be "16 times more detailed" than FO4... from a developer's point of view. Todd does get carried away and exaggerates too much, but he isn't as much of a liar as the memes would have you believe.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm gonna be really interested to see how this game handles the myriad of colonialist/racist tropes that are present in many indiana jones stories

Sigh.... I hate this take so much.

Indiana Jones is only a looter/graverobber in the first two movies, and it's written as a character flaw. Throughout all 4 movies we are told by the locals that these artifacts should remain where they belong, but the bad guys and Jones don't listen. The films end with the bad guys getting killed over their arrogance, and with Jones never actually acquiring the artifacts.

Indy is deliberately written as a toxic scumbag in Raiders, aside from being a looter he also had an illicit affair with his former love interest that ruined his relationship with her father. The inferior sequels would increasingly make him a more softer character.

Here's how Lawrence Kasdan wrote the character in Raiders.

"Indy's a classic anti-hero. The idea always from the get-go was that he's fallen from grace as an archaeologist and he's become a grave robber."

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/indiana-jones-making-raiders-lost-ark/

Now pay attention to the dialogue in the film.

Belloq: Archeology is our religion, yet we have both fallen from the pure faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am but a shadowy reflection of you.

Here's George Lucas describing the character in the 1978 brainstorming sessions for Raiders of the Lost Ark.

He's a soldier of fortune. He is also... Well, this gets into that other side of his character, which is totally alien to that side we just talked about. Essentially, I think he is a, and this was the original character and it's an interesting juxtaposition. He is an archeologist and an anthropologist. A Ph.D. He's a doctor, he's a college professor. What happened is, he's also a sort of rough and tumble guy. But he got involved in going in and getting antiquities. Sort of searching out antiquities. And it became a very lucrative profession so he, rather than be an archeologist, he became sort of an outlaw archeologist. He really started being a grave robber, for hire, is what it really came down to. And the museums would hire him to steal things out of tombs and stuff. Or, locate them. In the archeology circles he knows everybody, so he's sort of like a private detective grave robber. A museum will give him an assignment... A bounty hunter.

What he does is steal things from private collectors who have them illegally, and gives them back to the national museums and stuff. Or, being that his morality isn't all that good, he will go into the actual grave and steal it out of the country and give it to the museum. It's a sort of quasi-ethical side of that whole thing.

This is a deliberate choice by the filmmakers. It's weird to me that people are all the sudden pointing this out like they're being clever, as if it's not always been a flaw to his character, at least in the first two movies. In Temple of Doom (a film I really like despite all the racist shit that was pretty insensitive even back in 1984), the Indian Prime Minister says Indy's graverobbing was so bad, the Sultan of Madagascar wanted to chop his balls off.

In Last Crusade and Crystal Skull, Indy is a much more moral person, who doesn't steal things anymore. I'm still not sure if this is character development or Spielberg and Lucas purposefully softening the character up. Maybe it's both.

"That belongs in a museum," is a line from the Last Crusade everyone loves taking out of context, which is in reference to a group of graverobbers who are trying to steal the cross for a guy who wants it in his own private collection. The Cross of Coronado is already a western artifact, and coincidentally it's the only artifact Indy is allowed to take home.

Last edited:

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I have a feeling that all the "LOL there is no way it is going to be multiplat" is going to turn into "the game was announced before they were acquired, so obviously its multiplat" from the very same people if it is.

Why not wait for the details?
There could be a dozen reasons that nobody here would be privy to. People on both sides of this argument are basically seeing what they want to see in order to try and validate their own preferences.
I'm not sure what it's going to take for some to either play games on PC or Xbox plus their PS5's. I guess until then every thread about Bethesda games will be the same thing.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Disney has never mandated platforms

I think I really need to remind people that Sony is a competitor to Disney in movies. Why would Disney demand to prop up their competition?
Sony is competition for Disney as was Ouya for Playstation.
They are partners for the MCU. And that's Sony biggest licence. Sony is no threat. Disney with the Fox acquisition became to big.

Disney probably use a lot of Sony technologies anyway and works with Sony Music probabaly a lot too.

I still think it is probabaly a MS exclusive.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
That Phil tweet is weird. Is he being coy there, as if he didn't know about this before today, or just using vague language to say he can't wait for more to be put out there?

I'm not a gamer like most here but wasn't there a really good Indy game back in the day? Last gen or the gen before? Hopefully they can take some inspiration from that and not Uncharted/Tomb Raider.
The last "really good" or better said "fantastic" Indie game was Fate of Atlantis and that one is ancient. There were some bad, some mediocre and some good games later on several platforms but nothing that was considered truly "great". I think the last one was on Wii not counting the Lego game on X360.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Gotta love any news for Bethesda games. Always gold inside.

Can't wait to hear more about this game :)

Jan 4, 2021
Rumor is it's a Doom Eternal reskin with a John Williams soundtrack. You'll grapple around with a whip shooting people who are just twirling swords. Also be able to rip hearts out.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
My fear with this game is that instead of digging deep in to what Indiana Jones is, they'll just copy Uncharted or Tomb Raider and call it a day.