• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Wolfenstein isn't even that far off from Indiana Jones: nazi enemies, ancient magical macguffins, big setpieces etc.

It was already riffing on a lot of the same old serial stuff as Indiana Jones.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
The more I think about this:

Pete Hines has gone on record saying that "Wolfenstein 3 is absolutely in development."
Square Enix announced "The Avengers Project" with a similar short video in January of 2017, with a developer attached to it. They announced it as soon as the licensing deal had been done.
The last Wolfenstein game came out 18 months ago and was a short, $40-sized game. A Wolf 3 should be towards the end of development.

I think Wolf 3 still comes out this year or very early next year, and this is probably the beginning of the pre-production process on Indiana Jones. I think both will likely be Xbox exclusive.

This makes a lot of sense, good comparison with avengers. Hope this is the case!

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I guess all Bethesda threads are gonna be painful to read through for the foreseeable future, huh.

Buncha smartypants on both sides pretending they know for sure what's happening with their multiplatform plans when no one knows shit.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
So MS said fuck making an uncharted ripoff so they get the rights to develop a game from an IP that uncharted ripped off to make AAA uncharted rip off. The irony within that sentence oh boy lol, in all seriousness I really do hope they're copying uncharted. I can see this pushing graphics, AND having a household name attached to it definitely will peak people's interest.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I guess people still believe Starfield, Fallout and Elder Scrolls may be appearing on PlayStation but it's not going to happen. Indy is no different from those games.
Only difference her is that Disney owns the Indy IP.

They could have bargaining rights to include in more platforms. Again, this pure speculation on my part.

One retort could be Marvel's Spider-Man. But this is slightly different since BGS could have previous contracts.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when people yesterday were like "Why not just name it Star Wars games? It's not like we're gonna get an Indians Jones game."

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean sony is doing the same with their next mlb. I think longterm we will see more and more games on competing platforms. Some delayed, some will be b2p and not on gamepass/psnow.
How are you comparing a baseball game to Indiana Jones right now?

4oO.gif

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
Lots of heads in here just forgetting that Spider-Man exists, talking about Disney and console exclusives.

Companies like their brands to be on all formats. But Disney now knows Spider-man has performed critically and financially well on a single format compared to the multi format Avengers. Bethesda could have made strong case that an Indy game will succeed better by being an Xbox exclusive.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hmm I hope they actually do something unique with this. The TR and UC formula's are fine, but Indy isn't really about action. He's exceptionally human and thus has his limits and while having some big action set pieces are great, but like leveling hundreds of bad guys like Lara or Nathan ain't it. There's a reason people fucking love Fate of Atlantis and call it the real 4th Indy film and that's a simple ass point and click game from 92. I'm all for a 3rd person action adventure game, but emphasis needs to be on adventure far more than action. Drastically limiting combat is not something many or any games like this have really been able to square though.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Microsoft says Bethesda still in charge till spring, so was this project approved by only Bethesda or something else. Did disney knew their game will be made by first party developer?

Most importantly is this project started after the acquisition or before?

If this was planned before the acquisition do you think MS was not aware of all the projects in development before buying the whole company? It's not like they spent $7.5 billion and today they discovered that MachineGames is working on Indiana Jones.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
If Disney licenced Spider-Man to Sony, why is this unlikely to be exclusive? You all need to give it up.

Bingo. I think Spider-Man is going to be the model for a lot of these Disney & Lucas IPs going forward. Deals we be made based off the pitch & studio fit regardless of it being 1st party or multiplatform.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt platform exclusive but I bet it has comarketing with MS.

Spider-Man was exclusive due to Sony's negotiating power with the movies. They can make deals based on that since MCU really wanted Spider-Man.
Lol, MS owns the game, it's not "co-marketing" it's all MS money in the marketing it's only MS marketing the game

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Wow, out of nowhere!

I'm down with more nazi-punching combined with ancient artefact shenanigans. <3 Really curious to see if it'll be an Uncharted-like or something else entirely.

Edit: I wonder if Harrison Ford will do the voice? Probably not, right? :\

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt platform exclusive but I bet it has comarketing with MS.

Spider-Man was exclusive due to Sony's negotiating power with the movies. They can make deals based on that since MCU really wanted Spider-Man.
No it wasn't. Spidey was Marvel going to Sony wanting them to do a big budget Marvel game, Sony went to Insomniac, who picked Spider-Man. Movie rights had nothing to do with it.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
I guess all Bethesda threads are gonna be painful to read through for the foreseeable future, huh.

Buncha smartypants on both sides pretending they know for sure what's happening with their multiplatform plans when no one knows shit.

We know Microsoft spent 7 billion dollars to incentivize people to buy gamepass and not a playstation.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Bingo. I think Spider-Man is going to be the model for a lot of these Disney & Lucas IP going forward. Deals we be made based off the pitch & studio fit regardless of it being 1st party or multiplatform.
Yeah, it makes sense for Disney to let people take on the IPs. They don't care about where it appears as long as it's a good fit.

Jan 4, 2018
Exciting!

And yeah, this doesn't mean Wolfenstein 3 isn't happening. This is still in pre-production, so MG can move on as they finish Wolf 3. Or maybe they have another team.

Back in September 2018, Pete Hines said that they were "absolutely making a Wolfenstein 3".

Plans may have changed but I think that Wolfenstein 3 is definitely happening (in addition of the Indiana Jones game whose they say it will be some time before they have more to reveal).

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably FPS judging it's Machine Games (+ Todd), I loved the Wolfenstein The new Order and the old blood so if they can do something as good with Indi that would be amazing. I guess it's safe to assume it will be Xbox and PC exclusive but we shall see.

Very interested.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
So MS said fuck making an uncharted ripoff so they get the rights to develop a game from an IP that uncharted ripped off to make AAA uncharted rip off. The irony within that sentence oh boy lol, in all seriousness I really do hope they're copying uncharted. I can see this pushing graphics, AND having a household name attached to it definitely will peak people's interest.

Some 300 IQ logic there. 🤣