• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Wish this didn't have a price increase cuz now I'm conflicted

Kind of tempted to get a m1 air with 16/512 refurb. The price comes out to be about the same as base m2… not sure what to get.

Oct 30, 2017
Weird question: is the M1 and M2 chips proprietary hardware that could never be leased out to other companies who are having "chip shortage" issues? Or am I an idiot and that the M1 and M2 are not similar to the chips in a chip shortage?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for this since I wanted to ditch my old Surface Laptop 2 (I hated that thing) and go back to a MacBook since I used to own a 2010 Air and missed it greatly. After the reviews for the M2 Pro dropped and saw how small the improvement was over the M1, I just said fuck it and bought an M1 Air this week instead. Now seeing these reviews on the M2 Air I think I made the right choice. As someone who doesn't do a ton of extensive work on a laptop and just wanted a laptop back in the Apple ecosystem, the M1 Air is the better value here, especially with the sales that were going on this week. $1200 is just bullshit for this thing. It reminds me of the 12" MacBook all over again. So far I'm extremely pleased with the M1 Air.

I'll wait and see what the M3 Air offers in a few years.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for this since I wanted to ditch my old Surface Laptop 2 (I hated that thing) and go back to a MacBook since I used to own a 2010 Air and missed it greatly. After the reviews for the M2 Pro dropped and saw how small the improvement was over the M1, I just said fuck it and bought an M1 Air this week instead. Now seeing these reviews on the M2 Air I think I made the right choice. As someone who doesn't do a ton of extensive work on a laptop and just wanted a laptop back in the Apple ecosystem, the M1 Air is the better value here, especially with the sales that were going on this week. $1200 is just bullshit for this thing. It reminds me of the 12" MacBook all over again. So far I'm extremely pleased with the M1 Air.

I'll wait and see what the M3 Air offers in a few years.

M2 seems to be super nice and I wouldn't say $1200 is "bullshit" as it's a good value for the performance, size, fanless design, high quality display, premium build, and great battery life.

But yeah, when you can get an M1 Air for $800-$900 it's hard to swallow paying an extra $400+ for an M2 if you're just using it for web browsing, e-mail, media consumption, and word processing.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Weird question: is the M1 and M2 chips proprietary hardware that could never be leased out to other companies who are having "chip shortage" issues? Or am I an idiot and that the M1 and M2 are not similar to the chips in a chip shortage?

The entirety of the chip is proprietary but some components that makes up for the chip aren't. But Apple can afford to pay more for manufacturing capacity to get all the chips they need and manufactures are happy to do that.

Oct 30, 2017
The entirety of the chip is proprietary but some components that makes up for the chip aren't. But Apple can afford to pay more for manufacturing capacity to get all the chips they need and manufactures are happy to do that.
I guess they fear reverse-engineering and losing their grip on the market? I know that basically all of their stuff is proprietary tech but it seems they're excluded from the chip shortage because of they development their own stuff in-house.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I guess they fear reverse-engineering and losing their grip on the market? I know that basically all of their stuff is proprietary tech but it seems they're excluded from the chip shortage because of they development their own stuff in-house.
They're "excluded" from the chip shortage because Apple has more money than god and has paid for a significant amount of space on TSMC's line.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
The lack of official multiple external display support kills me. Does anyone with the M1 have any firsthand experience doing this with displaylink?

it is surprising they maintained the single display for air. I would have thought it would go to at least two. That said, if you go with a 32 or 34 inch display that is at least 4k the single display works well.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
I was using a first gen MBA up until 2018 and haven't really had a laptop since (outside of work laptops). This will eventually be my next purchase if/when I ever get out of the house lol

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
it is surprising they maintained the single display for air. I would have thought it would go to at least two. That said, if you go with a 32 or 34 inch display that is at least 4k the single display works well.

I'm fairly sure they purposely saved multiple display support for M2 Pro/Max chips. There's no technical reason why they couldn't do it on M2.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at work so I can't deep dive into the reviews yet but is the SSD speed thing on base models that bad in real world scenarios?

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if M2 mba has the same swap file usage issue that M1 mba does. I love my M1, but the cumulative disk usage is insane and I wonder how many years the SSD will last.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Got my M1 Air for $700 brand new last year, best value on a computer ever IMO and one that won't be beat for a few years at least.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
They're not excluded from the chip shortage — look at the wait times on many configurations of 14/16-inch MacBook Pro, eight months after launch. They just have more money and higher margins than anyone else and so can buy up all the available capacity.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Is there anywhere I can compare benchmarks for the base 14" MBP vs the base 2022 Air? Interested in how the M2 compares to the M1 Pro.

I realize Air 2022 has no fan so sustained performance could be an issue. Heaviest lifting I do though is just simple 4K video editing (short 1-2 minute videos without anything fancy going on in Premiere Pro).

Sep 6, 2020

Yes, but I already have the 2x monitors at home and work! I hate that they have have effectively locked me out of a really exciting upgrade -- when i'm eligible for a new laptop at work, even. I'm kind of stuck.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anywhere I can compare benchmarks for the base 14" MBP vs the base 2022 Air? Interested in how the M2 compares to the M1 Pro.

I realize Air 2022 has no fan so sustained performance could be an issue. Heaviest lifting I do though is just simple 4K video editing (short 1-2 minute videos without anything fancy going on in Premiere Pro).
Lots of reviews of the M2 MBP compared it to the M1 Pro — the Air should be fairly similar but with slightly lower sustained performance.

It's basically halfway between the M1 and M1 Pro.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, that's a thing?

Yup, for the vast majority of machines Apple sells, they have a few options in store:

1) The "base" configurations. For the MBA M2, for example, the $1,199 and $1,499 configurations are likely to be available in store (when in stock).

2) Anything else will be "Built to Order" and thus, you order online and wait several weeks for the device to arrive.... but for pretty much every machine, they usually have an option for the higher SKU that is selected with a little more RAM and a little more storage and will carry it in stores, too.

Play with the configs when in-store pickup for the M2 is available tomorrow, and bet you'll see something.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
What is it with Apple and totally screwing with people on storage space? 512GB as the UPGRADE? You can easily find 1TB drives under $100

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm feeling a bit blindsided by this 256gb SSD speed topic. I got the base model because overall I'm a fairly light user and I figured the M2 was beefy enough as is but wish that detail would have been made obvious sooner. Guessing it won't have much of a real world impact though if you aren't doing super intensive tasks? The most I use this for is Lightroom and GarageBand.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I wish we had jumps like the M1 more often but understand it's not realistic. My launch M1 MBP still never stutters, never gets hot and can go a day and a half of regular use with battery to spare.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to get the M2 Air, but after 16gb or ram and 1tb drive, I was so close to the 14" MBP that i just decided to go for that. It's supposed to arrive today actually, very excited!

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
It's very unfortunate about the single display and not being able to personally upgrade the storage after purchase.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I was strongly considering picking one of these up originally but after the recent price hikes by Apple because of the currency exchange being bad for Japan at the moment I've decided to put any future Apple purchases on hold. Instead I think I will be going for something powered by a AMD 6800U. The 6800U being both x86 still and nearly as good as the M1 in terms of battery life I think would suit me better in the end anyway.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I jumped in on an 16GB/512GB. It should last me until 2031 if my 2013 MBP is anything to go by.

I was seriously debating this or throwing down another $500 for the 14" Pro. In the end, the idea of going to the lightest MacBook won me over.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I will never, ever, ever understand the obsession with thinness in laptops. Weight, I understand. X and Y dimensions, totally. But I really can't see any practical difference between a laptop that's 1 cm thick and a laptop that's the thickness of a sheet of paper.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had a base 256gb / 8gb model pre ordered but cancelled that for higher end one with 10 gpu cores that starts at 512gb. I'm a pretty light user, but I still didn't want the slower hard drive to get in the way of anything. I'm hoping this laptop will last me a long time. Still very excited to get my hands on it.

Also deiced to get the space gray. Love how the midnight looks, but the fingerprinting might bug me, and I could get the space gray a couple of weeks sooner.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No regrets for telling my mom to upgrade to the M1 back in April. I sorta wish I would have had her take the 16GB instead of the 8GB though. Everything else is great.

Some web pages are ram hogs (3GB for 1 tab, like sheesh, talk about ram leaks) which makes her M1 MBA slow to crawl until I look at activity monitor and quit the tab. I wish Safari handled ram usage better than it does, like limit each tabs ram to refresh if it's over an amount, somewhat like mobile does it, but able to select the tabs. I wonder if there's an extension that achieves that.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and I'm not using it for anything to taxing but I'd like it as a personal computer for sometime. Prob will go for it. Just heard a lot of complaints with 8 gb ram

I had 8gb ram on my mac mini (2018, so not m-series), and had a ton of problems starting 2021. Upgraded the ram and it runs like a dream.

I would go min 16gb on the m1/m2. Learned my lesson already.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Good point on the 16GB/512GB configuration getting close to the 14" Pro in price.

Was considering the M2 MBA once the Back to School promo kicks off early next year in Aus but might wait and see how an M2 Pro goes. About the only thing the M1 Pro is worse at is battery life compared to the M2 Air.