• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool was the biggest favorite at the beginning of the season

And we only lost because our keeper was injured and couldn't deal with the anti-football. Missed about 10 good chances as well. Adrian gifted that game to his true club.

We have a healthy starting XI and we got it this year.

OP
OP
Lion

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Why were City favourites? They've never won it.
I just meant favourites for this match, not the whole thing. Realistically they were favourites for this tie. In terms of form and squad, they should have been much stronger then lyon. This is definitely an upset and a a big achievement for lyon.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Thanks, City, for losing to Lyon so I could learn that "farmer league" is NOT a reference to the league being so small all it's good for is bigger leagues farming it of any talent it might produce, as I had thought, but just an insinuation that the players work as literal farmers to make ends meet.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017

The fact the joke about the French league being a farmers league has gotten to the ears and psyche of French league players to the extent they're defensively tweeting about it is, ironically, more proof of it being a farmers league 😂

In all seriousness I hope Lyon win it but I think Bayern will.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
French football fans got to see our national team win 2 world cups & a european cup, + participation in one more world cup final and european cup final in the last 22 years. I feel blessed my generation witnessed this. This year CL results replace the eufa cup pretty well :)

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
People were making fun of Juventus losing to them and now Man City lost to them more badly. This might be one of the best Champions league in long time.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
This year has been a total shitshow, and I don't think they should be playing CL during a pandemic. But damn if this doesn't bring a smile to my face.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After seeing Barca getting crushed and Sterling's miss, maybe the loser team that I am a fan of isn't so bad 🤣

It's just referencing online trolling banter. Just like Guardiola is a fraud, Messi is a midget, So To is the French league populated with sub par players -"farmers".
Now if I were them would I wait until I had more than one title in over 60 years? Or wait until I just once in my history had a dominant team in anyway? A team that influenced world football in some way like every other major league on earth has done? Would I talk shit If the team so often champions in my league only came to prominence in the present because they were bought by the Qatari royal family and injected with oil money? Etc.

It shows how desperate they were to shed that moniker though if all it took was getting to the semi finals for them to start

I don't know, the English talk much shit and their national team hasn't won much in a while as well 😜
Meanwhile, the French at least have the world cup right now.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Were they favorites for real? The little I saw of them this season it didn't feel they were anywhere near on the level of last season.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
And we only lost because our keeper was injured and couldn't deal with the anti-football. Missed about 10 good chances as well. Adrian gifted that game to his true club.

We have a healthy starting XI and we got it this year.

you literally didn't have a shot on target the first game (iirc, anyway), "if x and y didn't happen..." tends to apply to every CL loss, describing Atletico's style as "anti-football" is silly, and you simply can't say "we would have won!" when y'all kinda sucked all around after the break and, again, the fact that shit happens wouldn't have suddenly stopped being true past the RO16

came into this thread prepared to indulge in City's misery and now I'm just irrationally annoyed at the Liverpool fandom smh

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The commentary on bt sport was embarrassing.

The English media is the most insecure media I have ever seen.

Still doesn't make Ligue 1 better.

Does he say it is better?

People should start respecting other leagues. Yes EPL is better than ligue 1 but showing disrespect the way English media does is horrible

French leagues has produced some of the great players in the last 10 years

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
To think City's best finish in the CL came under Pellegrini. Pep's "magic touch" hasn't done much for them in Europe.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
you literally didn't have a shot on target the first game (iirc, anyway), "if x and y didn't happen..." tends to apply to every CL loss, describing Atletico's style as "anti-football" is silly, and you simply can't say "we would have won!" when y'all kinda sucked all around after the break and, again, the fact that shit happens wouldn't have suddenly stopped being true past the RO16

came into this thread prepared to indulge in City's misery and now I'm just irrationally annoyed at the Liverpool fandom smh

This has nothing to do with our performance after the break. During this particular match I indicated why we lost—goals which would not have been conceded by Alisson.

Don't make it an anti-Scouse thing. Liverpool fans are no different than other football fans. We've had a lot to be proud of over the past two years. If you're a United fan and you start trying to praise fuckin' Bruno Fernandes not even worth the debate. 😂

With all of this said—I will happily disparage Raheem Sterling. Dude is always in need of a good humbling. Awful attitude with the worst victim complex I've seen in the game. He's no Marcus Rashford and every mistake and important lost game is well deserved.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
City were considered strong favourites.
They generally were, but only under typical PL "Best League in the World" arrogance over the L1 "Farmer's League".

Lyon took 4 points against City last season (as in 2018-2019).

So To is the French league populated with sub par players -"farmers".
It's crazy isn't it. Especially when you consider how many "farmers" play in the PL. I think without looking they players from L1 (whether French or not) are the biggest percentage of overseas players in PL now and historically.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This could be the year French football finally surpasses Romania and Serbia and sits on equal footing with Nottingham forest.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I really don't give a fuck about that sport but it's nice to see my hometown this far.
A lot of my friends must be really happy.
What a weird champions league...

Jul 18, 2018

French leagues has produced some of the great players in the last 10 years
French academies are cream of the crop which no one is disputing, however most of the best French players of this decade do not play in Ligue 1...

Im just gonna name some top of head (Greiz, Pogba, Varane, Lloris, Benzema,Matuidi, Kante, Dembele, laporte, Ribery, Umititi, Lacazette, Lemar, Matuidi, Rabiot, Pavard, Zouma, Upamecano, Fekir, Mendy)

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its definitely a cool story. I dont have a lot of takeaways though, its a weird year for all sports and the degree of randomness was to be expected so I dont think its indicative of a shift or change in power dynamics.

At the very least its good to see some new teams being up there, hopefully it sticks and they can build on the momentum. I assumed a while ago the final would be Bayern-Atleti so Im already glad one side will have a new representative

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
French academies are cream of the crop which no one is disputing, however most of the best French players of this decade do not play in Ligue 1...

Im just gonna name some top of head (Greiz, Pogba, Varane, Lloris, Benzema,Matuidi, Kante, Dembele, laporte, Ribery, Umititi, Lacazette, Lemar, Matuidi, Rabiot, Pavard, Zouma, Upamecano, Fekir, Mendy)

Yeah, for my part I want to make it clear that I'm not dumping on like French talent or anything which would be ridiculous. I don't think it's any sort of giant offense if someone calls their league "weak" When you look at historic results.
Ligue 1 has only a single European title in the 60+ years of the competition , that winner also being the one and only finalist they've had since it was rebranded as the UEFA Champions League ( this is also the first year since that rebranding that a Ligue 1 team has made the semi-finals).Also of the starters on that World Cup Final winning team only Mbappé is still in Ligue 1...Nzonzi is on loan there right now too if you want to count the subs.

So the defensiveness is strange when it's not like people are inventing reasons to diminish them ( ex/ call Messi or Pep frauds all you want they have won football's biggest prizes).

A faaaaaaaar stupider example is when people dumped on the Bundesliga for being a trash league as if Bayern haven't proven themselves for decades and decades in Europe

Last edited:

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Were they favorites for real? The little I saw of them this season it didn't feel they were anywhere near on the level of last season.

They were "favourites" under the stupid english media logic of because they had no hope in the league from such an early point that all their focus would be on the CL. Because thats how that works.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The way football fans in England talk about the French league is a joke. They think Ligue 1 a poor standard. The amount of players that are bought from French clubs is evidence enough that the standard is high.

Yes it may not be the most exciting league with one side dominating greatly but the actual standard on display is high.

Lyon beat Juve over two legs and the way it was just assumed City would walk through them was pretty disgraceful. One legged ties on neutral grounds change everything and of course it was possible Lyon could win. I didn't expect it but I didn't think it wasn't possible as they are not some pub side like many seemed to think.

The commentator on BT sport last night was a disgrace. Steve McManaman was talking like Lyon were amateurs.

McManaman asks "it's strange that week after week City destroy teams in the EPL week in week out but have hardly created a chance tonight, I can't understand why?"

Well maybe just maybe the cannon fodder in the EPL are not that good.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Not that they will win against Bayern, but there is no way the Champions League final is being postponed for a Ligue 1 game!
Exactly. In normal circumstances it's always the league match that gets rearranged when there is a clash.

It used to happen in PL with an early round of midweek fixtures traditionally clashing with CL qualifying round. Probably still happens with EL qualifying.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just referencing online trolling banter. Just like Guardiola is a fraud, Messi is a midget, So To is the French league populated with sub par players -"farmers".
Now if I were them would I wait until I had more than one title in over 60 years? Or wait until I just once in my history had a dominant team in anyway? A team that influenced world football in some way like every other major league on earth has done? Would I talk shit If the team so often champions in my league only came to prominence in the present because they were bought by the Qatari royal family and injected with oil money? Etc.

It shows how desperate they were to shed that moniker though if all it took was getting to the semi finals for them to start
which is completely bull because so many players start in france and then go to germany, italy, england or spain.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Everyone getting angry about English football! I can tell you now that the vast majority of English football fans absolutely despise City and are delighted about what happened last night, we're all celebrating with you, I was so happy for Lyon. We also all despise BT Sport and their comms team, it's a fucking joke and has been so since the day it started. McManaman is a complete clown.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
The way football fans in England talk about the French league is a joke. They think Ligue 1 a poor standard. The amount of players that are bought from French clubs is evidence enough that the standard is high.

With the greatest of respect, you're just contradicting yourself... the fact that so many players leave Ligue 1 for other European leagues really says it all. France consistently produces fantastic footballers (as evidenced by the national team's success), but few bother to stay and play in Ligue 1.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Sterling playing on instinct with no time to think - fantastic

Sterling with time to think:

7f3bfb6c-eba5-4a8b-b53f-72b47a4e8ab8.jpg

Hes been like that since the early days of his career.