• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan. I don't like their drip feed style of story telling. I want a long campaign, mess around with the end game a little, then put the game down. I don't want mandatory multiplayer or gating my progress through world events.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 still has a lot of structural and technical setbacks that make it feel like a game from last-gen. The fact they're gonna keep it around for another couple years without working on a sequel that solves said issues is disappointing.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
We dont need a sequel. Doing a sequel means that all that work we did is for nothing. All the weapons we grinded for ect. The only thing a sequel could bring is updated visuals but id argue that could be done with expansions as well.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing these new expansions were part of Destiny 3!
Man I would love for Bungie to make a new Oni game.... but we wont ever get it, will we?

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Logical. They have to work on yearly expansions + 4 seasons AND they are building brand new IP

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
2013 - Current Generation launches/
2014 - Destiny released.
2015- The Taken King
2016 -Rise of Iron (PS3/360 SUPPORT IS DROPPED)

2020 -New Generation Begins
2021 - The Witch Queen
2022- Lightfall - (PS4/X1X SUPPORT IS DROPPED)
CURRENT ASSETS MOVE TO D3 - WITH NEW SYSTEMS OVERHAUL.

Luke Smith just jebaited y'all again.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
2013 - Current Generation launches/
2014 - Destiny released.
2015- The Taken King
2016 -Rise of Iron (PS3/360 SUPPORT IS DROPPED)

2020 -New Generation Begins
2021 - The Witch Queen
2022- Lightfall - (PS4/X1X SUPPORT IS DROPPED)
CURRENT ASSETS MOVE TO D3 - WITH NEW SYSTEMS OVERHAUL.

Luke Smith just jebaited y'all again.

Nope. No D3.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
D2 was built over the D1 engine, which was required to run on the split memory pool in the PS3. It's starting to feel like Bethesda milking Gamebryo.

I'd pay top dollar for a new game built from the ground up to run on next-gen. I know they're working on a new IP, but no D3 is disappointing.

One of the reasons I probably won't carry on with Destiny in this upcoming gen is because of the engine/tech it's running on. I feel like the Destiny *I want to continue on with is already hindered by technical constraints. It's only going to get more noticeable in the future.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Sure, like how we had wrapped up the Stranger's story and how we were 'done' with the darkness.

Nope. Not the same thing.

They didn't have plans to bring the Stranger back like they are now. It's obvious that they changed their mind after fans took issue with his comments.

Could they change their mind on a D3? Of course. But he isn't lying here and his explanation makes it very clear.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no doubt there will be a destiny 3 in 2023 or so, He had said they were don't several things that are happening now especially with the story.

Nope. Not the same thing.

They didn't have plans to bring the Stranger back like they are now. It's obvious that they changed their mind after fans took issue with his comments.

Could they change their mind on a D3? Of course. But he isn't lying here and his explanation makes it very clear.
It absolutely is the same thing, D3 will be a thing eventually who knows when but there will be.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Just make the real Myth 3 we all wanted you cowards! Not that crap from MumboJumbo.

I think they have a large contingent of people like me that'll hop into each new expansion as they drop but if Destiny 3 was released might skip it altogether. But Mat might be right, probably leaving a lot of money on the table not having a D3 lined up with next gen.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Ehh this pretty much ensures I'm never getting back into the game then. I was hoping for one more reset but is suppose people would complain too much.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, release the PS5 & Series X versions as Destiny Remastered. Then rebrand the PC version as that somewhere down the line.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Expected given the current business model, but still a bit disappointing. It would be like them commiting to Destiny 1 throughout this generation despite admitted limitations from having to support 360/PS3.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
man, i wish they would. its probably just me but i feel the barrier to entry now as a vanilla destiny 2 player only is just too great. i feel overwhelmed trying to sort out whats what as far as content releases go and in game progress and economy stuff. i'd love an equal footing, fresh start

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They don't need to make 'Destiny 3', it could easily just be carefully worded, they've always had issues with their engine so it's probably far more likely they're planning on completely overhauling that and bringing D2 back under just the 'Destiny' branding, they can easily release an expansion for ÂŁ60 that would effectively be D3 in all but name when it comes time to release it. Clearly the next few years are planned out though so I wouldn't expect anyone to confirm anything for a long time yet.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Expected given the current business model, but still a bit disappointing. It would be like them commiting to Destiny 1 throughout this generation despite admitted limitations from having to support 360/PS3.

Presumably they'll drop support for PS4/X1 somewhere down the line. Whether or not it'll get a visual refresh at some point is another story.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the Destiny fan base hates LS.
Do people actually hate Luke Smith? I hope not. I feel bad that he allows himself to be this martyr for the franchise's missteps despite the fact he is not the sole decision maker for the franchise. He aint perfect like any other developer but he lives and breathes this game completely and I can't think of anyone I would rather have in charge.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
That's too bad, because I have zero interest in ever buying any more D2 content. I have no faith in them to ever improve upon that terrible game engine currently being used in D2, and even less faith in them to ever figure out what they actually want the game to be. Just an incredible failure of leadership.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does Luke Smith genuinely expect Destiny fans to believe him here?
Like, lmao. Nah dude, Destiny 3 is gonna be out before the halfway point of next gen. Maybe that'll be the game that fulfills the promise of OG Destiny, but more likely it'll just be another hollow reset that spurns us all to spend another hundred dollars on this halfass franchise

Jan 4, 2018
I think Bungie always wanted Destiny to be a single, evolving, live service game like WoW but they had to stick to Activision's plans if they wanted to make it in the first place.

I never got why people thought they were releasing D3 in a year or two. Once they went free to play it seemed like they were in for the long haul.

Personally, I'm excited for this direction. A lot of games with evolving updates have rocky starts and eventually find really great spots. Look at FFXIV, ESO, and No Man's Sky. If you don't like the current state of the game, take a break. Meanwhile the devs are gonna put time into their project and work with the community until they reach a place that draws lapsed players back in.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Thanks God. They don't know how to delivery solid and vast content for pve. It is better to move on to a new franchise.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Eeh, Luke says a lot of stuff. Its the right thing to say right now but Im sure theyre planning on it.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Hopefully, devs move on to something new and can work on an IP that interests them and brings some innovation to the AAAA space.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I'd love to get upgrades from bounties on any destination in the game. That killed destiny 2 for me. I don't like how upgrades are locked to whatever new destination exists at the time. Makes the game feel very small for me.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting they don't want to continue the series. I feel like it had a big impact during its initial launch but I can't say I know many including myself who have kept playing or gone back to Destiny 1 or 2.

Also side note; I can't see the video posted in the OP. This has happened for a few threads with Twitch videos embedded. I can see this one once I click through but others haven't worked. Is there some sort of issue or is it just me?

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting they don't want to continue the series. I feel like it had a big impact during its initial launch but I can't say I know many including myself who have kept playing or gone back to Destiny 1 or 2.

Also side note; I can't see the video posted in the OP. This has happened for a few threads with Twitch videos embedded. I can see this one once I click through but others haven't worked. Is there some sort of issue or is it just me?

They announced sequels up to 2022, how are they not continuing the series? Some of the replies in here are just bizarre.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I always thought, they would build up on Destiny and just bring AddOns, like all the other MMOs, so there is no need to bring Destiny3. Just rename it to Destiny tho.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Honestly, this is something I was thinking about this morning, but I kinda wonder if they'll follow in the footsteps of Path of Exile. Path of Exile is getting a sequel in the form of PoE 2, but all the PoE 1 content is will be in the game (and will even look better and take advantage of the graphical enhancements they've made), along with all the new PoE 2 content.

I wonder if in 2023, when presumably last gen console support is done, they can just release a new expansion literally just called Destiny 3, and with it will come a massive graphical overhaul and changes to the game, all the while, all previous content will be preserved in some capacity.

Bungie seems to just really not want to have another hard break from D1 to D2, and while I think that's an admirable position to have, just looking at what they're vaulting, I think it's pretty clear what the issues that come with that will be.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not saying he lied there.

But he has lied plenty in the past, so if it were, no one would be surprised.

Most of the Destiny fan base hates LS.
Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png