• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think it's good and this is what they wanted all along. Now take away the 2 from Destiny and just call it Destiny.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Can't make a D3 if they are working on that new IP

Now that we will have 4k/60 on consoles I don't need a D3

New subclass is using a different system than the current subclasses. They can make changes.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
wonder if they'll rebrand D2 at some point.
yeah just call it destiny infinite or even just destiny or something

shame they couldn't do it years ago, it would have been a much stronger product at this point id think

edit i just saw the other thread where they're removing stuff like disney, so maybe that last sentence isnt as true as id like to think lol

Last edited:

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing they'll rebrand d2 to Destiny when they have d1 content rotated back in. Curious how their engine and future content will work. When will they stop supporting ps4/xone? After the 2022 expansion or before that?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
they'll make it when they need to either significantly overhaul their engine, or switch it completely.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Before they announced the vaulting stuff I was happy for no Destiny 3...

But now? Now this vaulting stuff might just make me wish they did do Destiny 3.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I was one of those people who didn't understand why they had to make D2 even, they could have built from the great foundation of D1, when D2 launched it was almost dead after a month, there was just nothing to do and they changed so many things like pvp until the "go fast" update. So just keep building on D2 and make it a better game.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even if they were working on it they would say the same. They're going to have to substantially upgrade/enhance the current engine to impress next gen though.

Bring on Marathon!

Jan 10, 2018
I understand the decision but I personally love the hard reset that comes with sequels. Just adding on top of an already big pile of content makes it feel incoherent and a bit unfocused.

And if they continue down this road I really hope they concider adding new classes and not just subclasses, and perhaps a bigger skill set.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm really liking the sound of this, but I think it's only going to just make me regret not dipping my toes into Destiny 2 sooner, if story stuff and campaigns start getting vaulted.

I like the idea of just having a constantly evolving game that I buy a 40 dollar expansion for every year, and just can constantly go back to as a sorta gaming comfort food type of thing.

I'm very excited about the idea of trying out Destiny again after today.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
personally this makes me happy because the way we started Destiny 2 felt very cut off from where we were 3 years later in D1.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I just uninstalled this mammoth of a game after the event this weekend. I used to just log on to claim the twitch stuff, but after being in the game for a while during the event I realized I would probably never get into it. That was a huge chunk of SSD space, and I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. I wonder how big the game will be when Destiny 3 eventually do get announced.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Destiny. The game I want to get behind so badly, but I'm just not down with their choices.

I hate this "push what came before to the side" stuff.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So have all the expansions through 2022 been confirmed for PS4 and Xbox One?

If so I'm wondering how exactly they can make drastic improvements to the nature of the game while be limited by decade old hardware. It feels like they could make serious strides forward by building future expansions exclusively for PS5 and Series X.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sad thing I stopped playing :(

The gameplay and weapons are top notch, but the FOMO and them holding my time hostage ain't okay...

Still just following the game dev tho.
This is basically me. Put 800 hours into OG Destiny, completing every raid on hard and every raid challenge. And they basically wiped it all away (bar a few emblems) for Destiny 2...

Glad they're vaulting things and rolling in D1 content. They absolutely should rebrand back to Destiny at some point... They probably can't though because it will fuck up every store database and entitlement system.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should just call it "Destiny" then. Rebrand the original game to Destiny Origins or something.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense but they should probably call it something other than Destiny 2 at this point. It's just a bit weird IMO.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people need them to rename the game?

Once they fold the Y1 stuff into the Destiny content vault at that point there's no more Destiny 1 or 2, it's just Destiny. I could see them dropping the 2 and just calling it 'Destiny' but it's not important.

This is the right call though. Moving from 1 to 2 brought a lot of content problems initially that took a long time to rectify.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
So those RPG elements probably won't happen right? :(

Pretty sure they would have talked about it at the reveal if it was ready for BL. Seems like a huge gamechanger that would get people talking.

My guess is that whatever D3 was supposed to be was split up and re-purposed into the 20/21 expansions. Bungie probably has a team working on Lightfall right now, which would effectively be a new game in terms of content and changes to the game. That means that Lightfall has a 3+ year development cycle, which is more than D2 had.

Considering how long it takes Bungie to make content, the only downside I see to keep expanding on D2 is that they can't really change engines. I'm no game developer, but based on everything I've read, the pipeline and workflow of something like UE4/5 would really benefit Destiny going into the next generation.

Last edited:

Frank

Oct 25, 2017
D2 was built over the D1 engine, which was required to run on the split memory pool in the PS3. It's starting to feel like Bethesda milking Gamebryo.

I'd pay top dollar for a new game built from the ground up to run on next-gen. I know they're working on a new IP, but no D3 is disappointing.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
How is the userbase on this game? Destiny has lost almost all public visibility these days as far as I can tell.