• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I've felt this raw strength once before. It didn't scare me enough then... it scares me now." - Luke Dum Dum Skywalker.

Can someone explain to me how someone who experienced lightning from the Emperor and Vader's force powers can make that comment?

Kylo Ren and Rey are nowhere near as strong with the force as the last 2 Sith lords.

How does that make sense?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really? What did your power level scouter say when you scanned them?

Oct 27, 2017
Potential I guess? I can understand with Rey considering all she's shown to be able to do like a week after learning the force was real. Kylo, on the other hand, was trained and seems like a goober

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I mean, Vader didn't have any more potential than Luke himself. He was just better trained.

And that's what Luke's referring to, not currently possessed skill, but overall connection to the Force and their ultimate potential to use it.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's funny in Battlefront 2 Anakin just laughs when he faces Kylo, describing him as a spoiled kid who dosen't know how to handle a lightsaber. Kylo is WAY less powerful then Vader anyway.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
"I've felt this raw strength once before. It didn't scare me enough then... it scares me now." - Luke Dum Dum Skywalker.

Can someone explain to me how someone who experienced lightning from the Emperor and Vader's force powers can make that comment?

Kylo Ren and Rey are nowhere near as strong with the force as the last 2 Sith lords.

Darth Vader's potential isn't that strong since he got his limbs cut off and has burns all over him. His injuries from Mustafar burned off half his midichlorians. He's Dooku-level at that point.

But the Sequel Trilogy wants us to believe that Rey and Ben are anywhere from Anakin Skywalker-level to above Palpatine in power potential.

And also Luke got a power downgrade in the new canon or else we'd have to assume that Ben and Rey are stronger than Anakin/Force Jesus.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The key word is 'raw strength.' A natural, untrained affinity with the Force, beyond pod-racing reflexes or the ability to shoot a proton torpedo into a womprat-sized ventilation shaft. The ability to, say, mind-trick someone with no prior training or experience.

He fears what Rey could one day become, seeing what she is capable of without any education whatsoever.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
It's like Gohan and Broly in Dragonball, they have a shit ton of potential, raw power that if trained and honed would turn them into the strongest fighters around.

In SW, you can assume Kylo and Rey have near Anakin levels of midichlorians like Luke himself.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

When he says "raw power" I felt like he was saying raw potential.

Like Gohan before he started training. While Piccolo and Goku was stronger, they knew the raw potential Gohan had.

It's also like some individuals in sports. They don't have the technique, the skills, etc. But it's obvious they have a talent for the game that can be shaped into something special with proper training/coaching.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Kylo and Rey have more untapped power than anyone Luke has sensed before. It's pretty self explanatory, really.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
link. I agree with this guys answer. He wasn't scared of Ben's power, and through his [Luke] own errors, pushed him to the dark side. He see's the same power in Rey and doesn't want to make the same mistake.

It's not fear of the sith or dark side. It's ultimately fear of his past failings.

Y'all really just don't actually pay attention to the movies you watch huh

Lol, no joke.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In this timeline Luke never faced Vader or the Emperor. Why do you think the Emperor is still alive?

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
He never says Kylo is better than Vader, or the Emperor, or even himself. Only that Kylo had the strongest potential out of anyone he had trained before, and he initially dismissed it as something he could train and control. Now he feels that same potential in Rey and he's scared he will fuck it all up again and send a sexy space witch out into the universe to wreak even more havoc with the Emo Prince.

I mean, Luke clowns Kylo pretty damn bad at the end, and he isn't even there. I think Snoke even says at one point that if Luke had wanted them dead they would be dead.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I mean, Vader didn't have any more potential than Luke himself. He was just better trained.

And that's what Luke's referring to, not currently possessed skill, but overall connection to the Force and their ultimate potential to use it.

Luke had way more potential than Darth Vader. That's why Palpatine wanted to replace Darth Vader with Luke. He is Anakin reborn to him. That's what ROTJ is based around.

Prime Anakin has the most potential though but Luke may have been his equal.

Oct 25, 2017
He's talking about untapped potential, which makes sense given what Luke almost does next is to prevent potential and not actual strength.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Potential I guess? I can understand with Rey considering all she's shown to be able to do like a week after learning the force was real. Kylo, on the other hand, was trained and seems like a goober

He didn't just do it on a whim. He saw a dark vision of the future when he looked into Ben's heart and panicked, just like he did in ESB when he abandoned his training to go and save Leia and almost got captured. Just like when the Emperor was goading him and he gave in to his rage and tried to decapitate him. Luke has always been reckless and prone to rash decisions in the heat of the moment.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
It's just like the Younglings Anakin killed, they were weak but had the potential to be strong. The Last Jedi establishes that it runs in the Skywalker blood to want to murder children. Our heroic Luke we grew up loving and wouldn't even fight back against the Emperor decided to murder a child. He gets it from his father

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well if we use Rey as a barometer, observe how ridiculously powerful she was as soon as she got a lightsaber in her hands and a taste of the Force. Presumably Ben was the same way. Only when he fought Rey he was wounded and distraught.

OP
OP
BlackFyre

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Vader was using his connection to the force to drive his pods at age 10.

Vader/Anakin knew he was different and special.

Luke at 17 didnt know squat. He probably
Was a good shooter due to the force but he's not even close compared to Anakin.

Look how Anakin is able to nail every single test they threw at him at age 10 in a pressure situation in the Jedi council.

Anakin with zero training was lightyears ahead of Luke.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
He didn't just do it on a whim. He saw a dark vision of the future when he looked into Ben's heart and panicked, just like he did in ESB when he abandoned his training to go and save Leia and almost got captured. Just like when the Emperor was goading him and he gave in to his rage and tried to decapitate him. Luke has always been reckless and prone to rash decisions in the heat of the moment.

I don't think I could ever really buy that Luke would pull a gun out and point it at his nephew while he was sleeping based on what might happen.

At least Darth Vader had done heinous shit before, trying to stab him in the face at that moment and was openly told Luke what he was going to do.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of them are still bad and it breaks Luke's character. Even Mark Hamill has shared this opinion. It's a common complaint.

I strongly disagree it breaks Luke's character; it reminds us that, despite his victories, Luke is still ultimately the same person that he was in the OT. He has a dark vision, it leads him to do something rash, he regrets his actions.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
You know who else had incredible raw strength? Anakin in Phantom Menace. The Jedi Council wasn't too thrilled about training him and rightfully so. He eventually killed them all.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Vader was using his connection to the force to drive his pods at age 10.

Vader/Anakin knew he was different and special.

Luke at 17 didnt know squat. He probably
Was a good shooter due to the force but he's not even close compared to Anakin.

Look how Anakin is able to nail every single test they threw at him at age 10 in a pressure situation in the Jedi council.

Anakin with zero training was lightyears ahead of Luke.
Luke lived on a farm. How exactly was he supposed to prove anything?

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I don't think I could ever really buy that Luke would pull a gun out and point it at his nephew while he was sleeping based on what might happen.

At least Darth Vader had done heinous shit before and was openly telling Luke what he was going to do.

Darth Vader at least he had a better plan. He killed the younglings to secure the destruction of the Jedi. Luke wanted to kill Kylo because he had a bad feeling.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's just like the Younglings Anakin killed, they were weak but had the potential to be strong. The Last Jedi establishes that it runs in the Skywalker blood to want to murder children. Our heroic Luke we grew up loving and wouldn't even fight back against the Emperor decided to murder a child. He gets it from his father

42123.jpg

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That shit from the old, inferior canon about Vader being "8//10" of Palptine is no longer canon, Vader's an utter monster that's handicapped because he cant use certain darkside powers because it'll short circuit his systems. Just being in Vader's presence traumatises most Jedi, and he's able to overwhelm Palptine with a burst of power.