• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 11, 2018
In preparation for LM3 I dug out my old Gamecube copy of the original game, which I haven't played since it first came out in 2002. In terms of the actual scenario, I don't remember much from it, so in a way it feels very new to me, which is cool. The first boss ghost was actually really cool! I played for about 90 minutes and just got to the point where all the boos released. Having fun so far and look forward to playing more.

It's odd to me though that people criticized Dark Moon for E. Gadd. pulling you back to the lab at unexpected times, when this game has already done that to me three times so far and I'm still early on.

Oct 25, 2017
I've only ever played a little bit of this series so in anticipation of LM3, I started playing 1 and 2 on the 3DS.

I finished 1. Short but fun. I loved the personality the ghosts had, and the mansion in general. The controls on the 3DS though are... not good.

I'm a few hours in in Dark Moon and I like mostly everything better. The controls are a huge improvement, I like that money means something, and the world just feels a bit more alive. Lack of personality filled ghosts is a huge bummer though.

Oct 25, 2017
Dang. Sounds like it'll be fun enough but still won't really live up to its potential. Guess we'll see, but the first 2 Luigi's mansions were close to being great but we're held back by various issues. This one seems the same way. Will probably end up being the best one, though.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand what these games are. Every video I've seen is just walking around and sucking up stuff with a vacuum

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
LM1 wasn't open in terms of game progression. But it felt open with how the whole mansion was accessible at any point of the game, regardless if you had any reason to return to old rooms or not.

I guess the reason people don't like 2 (and the reactions towards 3) is because the environments feel more contained because of the level design. Even if they (at least 3) share a lot of game progression structure with 1.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I've already pre-ordered for my kid so I'm locked in now.

I hope it has voiceovers for everything. Nintendo really piss me off with that shit. They are cheap as fuck.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be another mid to high 80's game. If anyone has been paying attention it's the year of the 80's for Nintendo

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Sure but i never saw the segmented design as a negative. Agreed with the combat as it does sound disappointing and they should have made it better it seems.
Its nice to have segmented design sometimes. Not everything needs to be open all the time though i have always wanted a metroid like 2d mario game

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
LM1 wasn't open in terms of game progression. But it felt open with how the whole mansion was accessible at any point of the game, regardless if you had any reason to return to old rooms or not.

I guess the reason people don't like 2 (and the reactions towards 3) is because the environments feel more contained because of the level design. Even if they (at least 3) share a lot of game progression structure with 1.

Its classic ERA that Dark Moon, the game that was a breakout success and doubled the sales of the original is "disliked". Lol I'm pretty sure most people prefer Dark Moon out in the real world but as usual on here opinions are strangely skewed

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
No way are the floors going to be interconnected. Clearly meant to be levels in isolation to one another. Can't wait for all the disappointed folks lol

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018

Can the whole mansion be considered accessible when there were floors and sections clearly locked off with keys received from level bosses? There's plenty of backtracking, and one might prefer that, but that's different from being accessible at any point.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
This is a preview thread. The whole point is to care about the opinions of people who have actually played the game.
but tim who the poster never said who he is or where he is from so people know who they are is he was speaking as if we all knew who tim was. Was just making a point we all do not.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I played Dark Moon and the original on 3DS this year and vastly prefer Dark Moon. In fact I thought Dark Moon was pretty great. The first was pretty underwhelming in comparison, I didn't even finish it.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Can the whole mansion be considered accessible when there were floors and sections clearly locked off with keys received from level bosses? There's plenty of backtracking, and one might prefer that, but that's different from being accessible at any point.

Wait. That is the backtracking???

(And I meant that the mansion feels connected when you explore it, as in, Areas 2 and beyond).

I mean. Sure the mansion keeps expanding on. But I wouldn't call it backtracking per se. It is just opening another door. Unlocking a new set of rooms. Like the elevator.

It is Luigi's mansion. Not Super Metroid

(I swear, if the level progression mcguffins in LM3 were keys for random rooms in the hotel instead of elevator buttons, ERA would be calling it a masterstroke in level design).

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the original but was disappointed in Dark Moon, I guess I'll watch it on twitch and try to decide later.