• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Courtesy of Nintendo Life:

If you pre-purchase and pre-load Luigi's Mansion 3 right now, you'll also receive double My Nintendo Gold Points – so that's 600 in total. This is a limited time offer and will end on 30th October, prior to this game's launch on the 31st.

You can also use one of your Game Vouchers for it.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Seeing file-sizes like this really puts into perspective how much they bloated with the Xbox One and PS4.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Still amazes me how small Nintendo can make their games

But that also has to do with them not doing a lot of VO

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is that why PS4 and Xbox games file sizes are so high audio?

Part of it is higher quality textures, but yes, a lot of AAA titles nowadays (especially the styles of games Sony and MS make) are filled with thousands of lines of voiced dialogue and that fills up space really quick. By comparison Nintendo has very little voiced dialogue in their games. Even BOTW, which has some, has barely any compared to something like Gears or God of War.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Part of it is higher quality textures, but yes, a lot of AAA titles nowadays (especially the styles of games Sony and MS make) are filled with thousands of lines of voiced dialogue and that fills up space really quick. By comparison Nintendo has very little voiced dialogue in their games. Even BOTW, which has some, has barely any compared to something like Gears or God of War.
I think Fire Emblem has a lot, a lot of voice acting since everything is voiced and there are so many interactions possible.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think Fire Emblem has a lot, a lot of voice acting since everything is voiced and there are so many interactions possible.

Fire Emblem does, yeah. Probably the most of any first-party Nintendo game. Though I cannot day I'm familiar with how much Xenoblade has, which would be the other contender here.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
But if you use a voucher, would you still get double coins?
You will get the extra half only.

No, you already got Gold coins for buying the vouchers. You don't get any more for using the voucher
See this: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Link-s-Awakening-1514327.html
If you redeem a Nintendo Switch Game Voucher to download this title, you will receive a bonus that equates to half of the above listed value. This bonus is in addition to the Gold Points you received when purchasing your Game Vouchers.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
But if you use a voucher, would you still get double coins?
No, you already got Gold coins for buying the vouchers. You don't get any more for using the voucher
I'm totally wrong, they do give you bonus Gold coin for using the voucher, on both the Luigi's Mansion page and Link's Awakening

If you redeem a Nintendo Switch Game Voucher to download this title, you will receive a bonus that equates to half of the above listed value. This bonus is in addition to the Gold Points you received when purchasing your Game Vouchers.

In Europe at least

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
So you still get double coins even if you use a voucher in EU. I checked the US eShop page for Luigi's Mansion but it did not state the same.
At least in Europe it does.
Ah, thanks for reminding me. Now I remember there being a double coin promotion for Link's Awakening in EU. I also remember posting in the thread about it. LOL.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
NPCs are not voiced in Xenoblade if I recall so I think Fire Emblem takes it.
NPCs in Xenoblade games usually repeat some short sentence that is shared between multiple NPCs in the same area or even the full game. So yeah, there's not many audio files related to NPCs, and not all of the main party lines are voiced either.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
But even that has less VO than most other AAA games.
I don't know, the game is REALLY long (4 routes) and there's a lot of supports. The battle gameplay sections are not interrupted by characters talking constantly like in most AAA games, but the game is easily 3-4 times longer than your average SP AAA game, so I'm not that sure that there's really less voiced lines.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, the game is REALLY long (4 routes) and there's a lot of supports. The battle gameplay sections are not interrupted by characters talking constantly like in most AAA games, but the game is easily 3-4 times longer than your average SP AAA game, so I'm not that sure that there's really less voiced lines.

I guess it depends how you define it. When I say AAA I'm comparing it to stuff like Uncharted and Witcher and such.

Either way it definitely has a lot. Way more than any other Nintendo game. So that's all that really matters to this point.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Don't forget the style of graphics is a mile different. Cartoon textures, models, etc don't take up as much space and don't need to be as highly detailed as someone from Gears 5.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I strongly suspect Luigi's Mansion 3 started as a 3DS project, which would explain the small file size.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nintendo is just good at compressing files right.

While this is true, they are very good at it. They also don't have high res textures in almost an of their games. They don't have to include 4k textures. They don't use voice in almost any of their games....

All of this makes a game a lot easier to keep at 6gb haha

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
super mario odyssey is 5,7gb.

splatoon 2 was 5,5gb.

arms is 2,2gb.

nintendo is just good at compressing files right.

Or maybe they don't make games for 4k capable hardware.

Not defending high file sizes, I think most AAA developers go too far with uncompressed audio and pre-rendered cinematics - but this feels disingenuous.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
While this is true, they are very good at it. They also don't have high res textures in almost an of their games. They don't have to include 4k textures. They don't use voice in almost any of their games....

All of this makes a game a lot easier to keep at 6gb haha

Or maybe they don't make games for 4k capable hardware.

Not defending high file sizes, I think most AAA developers go too far with uncompressed audio and pre-rendered cinematics - but this feels disingenuous.

it's not disingenuous at all.

an enormous game like xenoblade 2 being only 13gb while having 120 musics tracks, 13 hours of prerendered cinematics with voice acting and hundreds of monsters just proves my point easily.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it's not disingenuous at all.

an enormous game like xenoblade 2 being only 13gb while having 120 musics tracks, 13 hours of prerendered cinematics with voice acting and hundreds of monsters just proves my point easily.

It might be a long game, but Xenoblade 2 isn't a good example considering it has issues with texture quality and resolution. It runs at 720p docked and as low as 368p undocked.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Am I falling for the bait here thinking people really believe Nintendo isn't the optimization leaders and it's the lack of voice overs and textures?

Is this a new meme I missed or something? Y'all crazy. The huge file sizes of other aaa titles aren't because of that shit, it's because optimization isn't a priority because it doesn't have to be.