• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
God dammit, multiplayer floor 7 and we got fucked at 36/36 ghosts at 0:00 seconds. =_=
I hate this kind of things.

Jan 11, 2018
xjRx2Bx.jpg

Haha. This is Kinda true right now.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Give Donkey Kong to NLG. Retro won't be able to get to it anytime soon. They clearly have got the chops for it

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I think my favourite thing this game is King Boo not expecting Luigi to fall for the same trick with the invitation again just for it to actually happen lol

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it, really enjoyed it with my only complaint being the lack of unlockables for getting cash/gems. I know the puzzles themselves are the reward but I would have loved to at least get a new costume or something for my hard work. The cash is a bigger issue than the gems, you make a game all about explore every book and cranny but don't really justify it beyond a letter grade at the end?

Otherwise it was a brilliant game, super inspired and overflowing with creativity. I particularly loved the TV puzzle, just wonderful. Great animation, looked great, and the variety between floors particularly the second half of the floors was fantastic. Might be a top 5 of the year game for me, if only they'd given some form of reward for all the exploring.

Also the final boss was a bit of a difficulty spike I felt but I probably just suck.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
The game is great but lacks a bit of complexity, seems much more mellow and repetitive in terms of puzzles and exploration than I expected. At least I'm on floor 6 and it all seems a bit samey.

It's a great pick up game for 20 minutes but it doesn't hold a candle against LM1. Fits the console form factor like BotW and Odyssey perfectly, but truth be told I'm a bit disappointed.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
The game is great but lacks a bit of complexity, seems much more mellow and repetitive in terms of puzzles and exploration than I expected. At least I'm on floor 6 and it all seems a bit samey.

It's a great pick up game for 20 minutes but it doesn't hold a candle against LM1. Fits the console form factor like BotW and Odyssey perfectly, but truth be told I'm a bit disappointed.
Well, let's just say you're just at the floor where things start to get quite a bit more diverse, both in floor as well as puzzle designs.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to say that a good way into the game it's nice to have a Switch game where I'm not annoyed by visual compromises and rolling my eyes at the constant excuses I read for them online (here or other places). There are jaggies, yes, but the developers here actually worked very well in the limitations of the console with the cutscenes and game performing well.

A true shock!

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
I want Next Level to do whatever game Next Level wants to do. This co op campaign is fantastic, my partner and I are loving every floor. Can't wait to get into the MP too, was a surprise hit for me in Dark Moon.

Jan 11, 2018

As someone who just replayed the original LM before this, I'm the exact opposite here. This game is infinitely more complex in almost every conceivable way than LM 1. The amount of mechanics, the ways in which they are applied, the staggering number of unique assets and one off little puzzles/interactive objects and sequences, and not to mention the sheer scope and variety of environments of the hotel absolutely dwarfs the original mansion. This game is the very idea of LM1 fully realized.

Last edited:

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Well, let's just say you're just at the floor where things start to get quite a bit more diverse, both in floor as well as puzzle designs.
that's great to hear!
As someone who just replayed the original LM before this, I'm the exact opposite here. This game is infinitely more complex in almost every conceivable way than LM 1. The amount of mechanics, the ways in which they are applied, the staggering number of unique assets and one off little puzzles/interactive objects and sequences, and not to mention the sheer scope and variety of environments of the hotel absolutely dwarfs the original mansion. This game is the very idea of LM1 fully realized.
I'm just halfway through so I could be wrong, it just feels less complex. For example I miss the elements, ghost encounter that don't resolve in 10 seconds and more variety how you fight the enemies. Also apparently collecting all the gold is just for the shop? Seems rather odd in LM1 you had the unique rating system based on gold I really liked.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm on the dance floor level and I haven't a clue what's going on. I feel like Stan Marsh getting served by these ghosts over here.

that was a terrible floor. Wow lol

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The slam move seems to completely trivialise ghost catching.
There is no challenge whatsoever, its boring.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017

Play past floor 6. It is like judging a Mario game based off the first two worlds.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23068

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone tell me if I can still play co-op with another set of joy cons?

I really hate splitting the joy cons as the controller is so small....thinking of buying another set of joy cons so I can use them as an actually controller.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me if I can still play co-op with another set of joy cons?

I really hate splitting the joy cons as the controller is so small....thinking of buying another set of joy cons so I can use them as an actually controller.

You can! It allows you to use basically any method from what I can tell. My wife is using the single controller as she found both too awkward with the camera, whereas I'm using a cheap wired 'pro' controller.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
The slam move seems to completely trivialise ghost catching.
There is no challenge whatsoever, its boring.

Yeah, there wasn't a single time that I looked forward to a regular fight. It'd be great if the next game just does away with non-boss ghosts, the bosses and puzzles are great, the braindead combat with normal ghosts doesn't add anything.

Yep, I'm feeling the same way. Without it the combat is too slow.

It would have been nice if there had been an incentive to avoid the slam. Egad could have given you rewards for turning in the ghosts you had sucked up. Since slammed ghosts don't get sucked into the vacuum they don't count. You'd have to weigh whether getting out of a bind by relaying on the move is worth the diminished reward.

As it is you have to use the slam if you don't want the game to be a slog. I've seen people posting that they just didn't use it, but the game is very clearly built around it. Combat still doesn't have that wild, frenetic feel that LM1 had where the ghosts are dragging you all over the place, and some encounters would drag on and on if you didn't quickly dispatch of groups with the slam.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Oh my god, the B2 boss is literally the worst boss fight of all time. My stomach hurts from the rage.

Evade him with Luigi in water until he spins out, suck to toss him to the spikes, use Gooluigi to flashlight stun and attack. Once you know the sequence, it still took me 2 gold bones to finish it because my brain refused to calibrate to the controls, I kept hitting the spikes. Often I would be next to the boss ready to be stunned and forced to blow up a floaty, omg the arbitrary, forced roles pissed me off.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Does E. Gadd ever stop nagging you to go do his errands? I haven't been playing too long but he keeps trying to rush me every 5 minutes while I'm exploring and it's really annoying.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Gave up on 2F's
billiards table.
i'm guessing my save file is glitched, i'll have to try it next run

Running about B2 now after clearing it, but wonder if anyone knows how to deal with this:
I didn't get the electric box while the water was high, and now I can't get Gooigi past this water flow because I can no longer reach the chain from below.

qtWRUmG.png

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Does E. Gadd ever stop nagging you to go do his errands? I haven't been playing too long but he keeps trying to rush me every 5 minutes while I'm exploring and it's really annoying.
If you have access to the Virtual Boo, search for options and disable his hints.
This game needs to patch a guide for shoulder buttons control (the only viable solution) and a message to remind that hints can be disabled.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I finally sat down with a completely free day and figured I'd sink an hour or two in to this...well, fast forward seven hours and I'm now on floor 12! This game is so good!

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Wow people aren't wrong about B2. After chasing that damned cat about and then having to endure the atrocity of controls on that floor was nothing short of bad. The boss itself was only tricky due to the controls being so awful. Otherwise he was easy. And even getting past the sharks was a nightmare in itself. Almost game ruining that part.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Floor 12 boss was awesome! I bag on Nintendo boss formula a lot but some of these fights are really fun and creative.

I just beat it too, and yeah, holy shit, this is one of my favorite boss battles ever in a video game. Gorgeous visuals, really creative fighting strategy, and great music.

The way this game progresses is incredible. Somehow with each floor, the game gets more fun, more interesting, and smarter.

B2 was definitely a low point, but the boss could've been a lot better if

it had just been bumper boats. It would've been easier for sure, but a lot more satisfying and less frustrating.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say that floor after floor this game is gorgeous and amazing. ❤️❤️❤️

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
So far floor 10 is almost making up for B2. Swiftly trying to put it out of mind and how any developer designing or playing that thought it was in any way a good idea.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat the B2 boss. It wasn't that bad, I managed to take it down in 3 cycles. The floors definitely become more interesting past floor 6 but I'm still disappointed at the lack of exploration and that each floor is self-contained. I really wish more floors were interconnected and there was reason to go back to other parts of the hotels besides collectables.

This game is a joy to play, but it's still not quite the sequel I was hoping for

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
On floor 8:

I was stuck on this puzzle for like an hour until I had to look it up. Did I miss a hint or tutorial about having to pick up a random bucket in a room and bring it through a TV ? There hasn't been any other puzzle like this in the game up to this point, and I would have never guessed that this was the solution. I wouldn't even think the game would mechanically support such interactions. Are there any more arbitrary puzzles like this further along in the game?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked B2, it's a little cumbersome but not too bad and an interesting way to shake up the mechanics. Floor 10 is so good, I hope the scarescraper dlc stuff includes something with the physics shown off in this level, it makes slamming the ghosts so so satisfying

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
On floor 8:

I was stuck on this puzzle for like an hour until I had to look it up. Did I miss a hint or tutorial about having to pick up a random bucket in a room and bring it through a TV ? There hasn't been any other puzzle like this in the game up to this point, and I would have never guessed that this was the solution. I wouldn't even think the game would mechanically support such interactions. Are there any more arbitrary puzzles like this further along in the game?

I also had to look it up, you are not alone ;)
It's an extremely weird puzzle that is really not intuitive at all.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I also had to look it up, you are not alone ;)
It's an extremely weird puzzle that is really not intuitive at all.

Yeah it makes me nervous going forward. Up to this point all the puzzles were solvable using the core mechanics. If I got stuck, I trusted that this was the case. Now that trust is gone, and if I get stuck again I'm going to wonder if the game is again throwing some completely arbitrary mechanic at me.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah it makes me nervous going forward. Up to this point all the puzzles were solvable using the core mechanics. If I got stuck, I trusted that this was the case. Now that trust is gone, and if I get stuck again I'm going to wonder if the game is again throwing some completely arbitrary mechanic at me.

In short: it won't, don't worry :)