• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
How's everyone liking this? I have a voucher, but I am kinda saving it for Animal Crossing. Even though there's four months between now and AC's release.

I was pretty young when LM1came out, but my brother and friends played it and I've seen it speedrunned. I did get LM Dark Moon/2 on 3DS, but I really wasnt a fan of how the game was broken into levels with different mansions.

Is Luigi's Mansion 3 an upgrade over Dark Moon's format? The game looks pretty fun, and it would be nice to play this between now and Death Stranding. :)
My whole family and I are loving it.
Really has that Nintendo magic to it.
If I were you that please don't hesitate to jump in, well worth the price of admission.
Also most possibly my GOTY too.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Done, clocked in at 18 hours but I think 2 of them were just paused.

The bosses are a bit tedious to figure out but once you do they fall within 5 to 10 minutes. With 10 golden bones it's nearly impossible to die completely.

Theme wise it was more like Luigi's cruise ship on land resort than mansion. Lots of variety in gameplay and level design, props to next level.

The tech in the game is tailored to switch and really leverages its strengths for smaller environments, hope its reused for future games.

Game doesn't have a lot of strong music. In the first game there was a solid theme that Luigi would hum along to which I get would be too much for 4x the playtime. But still.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
the game is fucking amazing. the virtual boy diss was amazing too.
Next Level Games delivered soooo hard

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
This game has the best, for lack of a better phrase, "game feel". Everything you do, see and hear is fun; the sound effects, the individual clinks and clanks of the HD rumble when sucking up multiple items, the constant rewards for searching every nook and cranny of each room. It all adds up to such a enjoyable experience.

I don't think I've had more fun playing a game this year.

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...are we all in agreement that

Krueller (the security guard ghost) is Paul Blart, Mall Cop?

Apr 21, 2018
Game doesn't have a lot of strong music. In the first game there was a solid theme that Luigi would hum along to which I get would be too much for 4x the playtime. But still.

I'm finding playing with headphones to be an entirely different experience because I can actually hear the music, and it's actually great. When I play portable or through the TV speakers, the music isn't mixed loudly enough to really hear.

But the music I've heard has been great.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Watched my girlfriend play up to Gooigi on launch day, and replayed that tonight and up to 7F... Game is absolutely awesome. Really funny, memorable, and it looks great.

Might be (unexpectedly!) my favourite game this year if the quality keeps up.

Regarding sound mix - I demoed this for a friend in work today and I noticed something was off. My switch was set for surround audio (because I have that at home) and the TV in work is plain old stereo.. it was like voices and some music were lost in the mix. Setting to stereo fixed it and made a big difference.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Can someone give me a hint as to how I get into the
barbershop to fight those ghosts there? I assume I have to come in from over the shelving unit through the grate but where do I come from?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The game is great so far. Love the little odes to Nintendo's past like the Virtual Boo. It's a great looking game to boot.

My only complaint is the co-op is kinda shit. I was looking forward to playing this with my 5 year old son but the game requires the 2nd player to go off and do things on their own quite often and he struggles with the controls a bit. I have to keep helping him fight the ghosts. Way too often does the person controlling real Luigi have to sit out while Gooigi solves puzzles. It's designed really as a solo game and co-op feels tacked on. I was kinda hoping he could just help me out while I do the heavy lifting. That's not the game's fault but the co-op does feel kinda lame.

Can someone give me a hint as to how I get into the
barbershop to fight those ghosts there? I assume I have to come in from over the shelving unit through the grate but where do I come from?

There's two pinwheel looking things on the Barbershop sign above the door. Use Luigi and Gooigi to suck up the pinwheels and make them spin at the same time, opening the door.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The graphics in this game are like base PS4 and the developer is trying. These guys really know switch's hardware.

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Holy shit there are some annoying parts at floor 10. I almost threw my controller at a timed puzzle. (loving the game though)

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
There's two pinwheel looking things on the Barbershop sign above the door. Use Luigi and Gooigi to suck up the pinwheels and make them spin at the same time, opening the door.

no, I'm talking about fighting the ghosts in there. Is that possible. Like, when I go in there, the scissors fall to the ground. I must be able to fight the ghosts holding them before they disappear, right?

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Couple quick questions..can you use GameCube controllers on this game? Can both people use GC controllers on co-op??And finally does the game control well with the GC layout.
Depends what kind of gamecube controller. I have the Hori USB one, and it works fine because it has two shoulder buttons on each side, as well as clickable analog sticks.

It has no motion control to aim upwards with, but other than that it works fine for me to play in co-op.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Done, clocked in at 18 hours but I think 2 of them were just paused.

The bosses are a bit tedious to figure out but once you do they fall within 5 to 10 minutes. With 10 golden bones it's nearly impossible to die completely.

Theme wise it was more like Luigi's cruise ship on land resort than mansion. Lots of variety in gameplay and level design, props to next level.

The tech in the game is tailored to switch and really leverages its strengths for smaller environments, hope its reused for future games.

It's a little disappointing because Dark Moon did have a nice OST. I'm sure the stuff in here is good if it was a little louder, though nothing stands out to me yet like these great earworms riffing on the same theme. The fanfare music after you beat a boss is catchy though it's pretty much straight from Dark Moon.

The game is great so far. Love the little odes to Nintendo's past like the Virtual Boo. It's a great looking game to boot.

My only complaint is the co-op is kinda shit. I was looking forward to playing this with my 5 year old son but the game requires the 2nd player to go off and do things on their own quite often and he struggles with the controls a bit. I have to keep helping him fight the ghosts. Way too often does the person controlling real Luigi have to sit out while Gooigi solves puzzles. It's designed really as a solo game and co-op feels tacked on. I was kinda hoping he could just help me out while I do the heavy lifting. That's not the game's fault but the co-op does feel kinda lame.

It's funny, because playing it there's a lot of awkward moments like bosses where it seems like it would be nice to have a second player be very active and engaged and playing it single feels like the "tack-on", so it's kind of weird the game is pulled two ways with it. At least Gooigi is sort of invincible? You can always swap controllers if it gets to be too much and have the other person at least be there to help out in throwing ideas out there.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone give me a hint how to proceed on floor 8? I've been to every room but it seems you need a fire power or something. In the well room, it feels like I should've gotten something but I didn't. I fought the ghosts in the apartment on fire room, but that's it. The castle room feels like you need water somehow, while the web room, you need fire. I don't know what to do 😂

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Floor 6 spoiler / glitch:
Anyone else have the audience members not load in? I remembered them from e3 or some other demo, but they weren't in my play through. Just confirmed they should have been there via a YouTube walkthrough, odd!

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Can someone give me a hint how to proceed on floor 8? I've been to every room but it seems you need a fire power or something. In the well room, it feels like I should've gotten something but I didn't. I fought the ghosts in the apartment on fire room, but that's it. The castle room feels like you need water somehow, while the web room, you need fire. I don't know what to do 😂

Look for something you can carry between the sets

Spoiler 2 if you need more help:

There's a bucket in the well set and a torch in the castle set

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Take the bucket from the main TV room and give it to the well *monster* to fill the bucket, then bucket to the tower set to reach the torch, then the torch to the burning apartments then to the toy room to light it on fire.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Find a bucket and take it to the horror movie set.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
I just started playing LM3 and it's my first Luigis mansion game. I'm having so much trouble with the movement of Luigi. I can't walk and Aim the light. It feels like I'm going in circles around myself. Any tips ?

I tried the other control setting but it feels like I isn't looking up just horizontally

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing LM3 and it's my first Luigis mansion game. I'm having so much trouble with the movement of Luigi. I can't walk and Aim the light. It feels like I'm going in circles around myself. Any tips ?

I tried the other control setting but it feels like I isn't looking up just horizontally
Turn off turning while vacuuming. And personally, I like the horizontal only aiming while using the gyro sensor to aim up and down. It gives me a better sense of control.

It's important to remember that the direction you move the aim stick in is the direction you're facing. It's not exactly designed to act like a twin stick shooter, unfortunately (I think that would have been a better decision).

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
The graphics in this game are mind blowing. Great art and animation will take you far but this game has some incredible technical chops. How the hell did they pull this out on Switch hardware.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Man they really need to fix the pressure doors in ScreamScraper, it just grinds everything to a halt having to wait for EVERYONE to get there. Undoubtedly it's the last room left, almost everyone is there mashing "Over here!" While the last moron wanders aimlessly around the map, and they finally figure it out with 15 seconds left and we all fail.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Floor 8 was super goddamn cool and inventive. Not sure if they showed the floor itself at E3 but I knew the thematic backdrop of the boss that was shown there, the whole thing was hilarious.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
It's important to remember that the direction you move the aim stick in is the direction you're facing. It's not exactly designed to act like a twin stick shooter, unfortunately (I think that would have been a better decision).
i think this is what's messing with my head. The direction you are facing thing is really hard. I feel like it's my first time ever holding a controller lol twin stick shooter style would've been much better and easier to understand

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Ok, I just got to booting up the game for the first time and the moment the game becomes playable, Luigi slowly starts moving toward the background. If I use the left stick, Luigi moves in the direction I direct him to, but the moment I let go, he again starts slowly moving toward the background. Scared that I was having drift issues with my left joycon again(just had it repaired/replaced by Nintendo a few months ago), I booted up 3 more games, but didn't have any issues with my characters moving on their own. Has anyone else had this issue?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Floor 8 was the best floor so far, even me not figuring out what to do on my own. Did anyone
not capture the director ghost? You get a little achievement thing but I felt bad for doing it, he was so nice.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Floor 8 was the best floor so far, even me not figuring out what to do on my own. Did anyone
not capture the director ghost? You get a little achievement thing but I felt bad for doing it, he was so nice.
I laughed when Luigi gave a disappointed, questioning cheer after capturing the director.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017

How far in are you? I feel like they have goouigi off doing his own thing a lot when you first get him but once you get a little further in it's mostly the two of you working together.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Game is Amazing. I want a well developed Wario game in the vain of Wario land 2 on this type of level. Is this game created by a western dev? feels like it. Game also looks amazing on my 900p PC monitor vs my 1080p monitor.

Jan 11, 2018
Just put in a couple hours and did the
Music and Castle
floors. This game just turned it up to the Next Level. So good. And I take back what I said about the music not being good either.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
This game is rapidly approaching my favorite of the year. Absolutely oozing with charm and personality in every single aspect. Love Gooigi, love the Virtual Boo, love E. Gadd, love the ghosts, and so much else.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm liking it a lot.
Can't believe I was killed on the 5th floor.
I need to do other stuff but I can't stop!

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man they really need to fix the pressure doors in ScreamScraper, it just grinds everything to a halt having to wait for EVERYONE to get there. Undoubtedly it's the last room left, almost everyone is there mashing "Over here!" While the last moron wanders aimlessly around the map, and they finally figure it out with 15 seconds left and we all fail.

I only briefly tried multiplayer before deciding I should finish single player first, but on first impression I'm surprised how hard and tight the timing is for it seemingly compared to Dark Moon. Like Dark Moon felt "just right" most of the time, except for the explicit "Rush" levels that never worked out with randoms. Will have to see how it goes after I 100% the game and learn the tips and tricks.