• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Love this game has so many cutscene nintendo keep making more for yours game it's adding extra charm :) I'm on floor 5

Oct 25, 2017
This game earned my trust very, very quickly by supplying me with the plunger power right out of the box, then letting me roam around to pop a few optional objectives and doors with it before I was ever explicitly taught how to use it. I dislike tutorial gates or having to follow instructions, so experimenting with the toolkit and exploring breadth-first is always one of the first things I check.

I'm still a little thrown off by the apparent inconsistency in which direction Luigi turns when I move the R-stick (I keep expecting a tank-like rotation where left means anticlockwise and right means clockwise, viewed from the top, and I'm not getting it), and I still wish gyro were enabled on the horizontal axis along with the vertical one; but the lock-on reticle for the plunger or for other fired objects is a nice touch as an indicator of what is or isn't interactive.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it again, but most of the control grievances would be alleviated (for me at least) if I was able to invert the right stick! Seriously, this needs to be in the next patch.

Sep 14, 2019
This game earned my trust very, very quickly by supplying me with the plunger power right out of the box, then letting me roam around to pop a few optional objectives and doors with it before I was ever explicitly taught how to use it. I dislike tutorial gates or having to follow instructions, so experimenting with the toolkit and exploring breadth-first is always one of the first things I check.
That's funny because if anything I feel like the game is very guilty of gating. Any time I try to take my time to explore I get constantly told that I'm taking too long by E.Gad. Which just seems completely unnecessary given the fact that there's basically a help button in the VB. I also occasionally felt like backtracking to get a secret I later realized how to get (for example I didnt know the flashlight turned on green switches until later), and even if it's on the same floor I was stopped from going into prior rooms.

Hopefully this stops later on.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
How's the Multiplayer? Wife was looking to play something co-op and I wondering how difficult this would be. She doesn't play many games aside from management/strategy games on PC and isn't too used to a controller

Understand that it takes a little while until you unlock Gooigi/co-op, but is more or less a complete experience from that point on?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
That's funny because if anything I feel like the game is very guilty of gating. Any time I try to take my time to explore I get constantly told that I'm taking too long by E.Gad. Which just seems completely unnecessary given the fact that there's basically a help button in the VB. I also occasionally felt like backtracking to get a secret I later realized how to get (for example I didnt know the flashlight turned on green switches until later), and even if it's on the same floor I was stopped from going into prior rooms.

Hopefully this stops later on.

This only happens very early on. You're still in what the game considers the tutorial, I think? I stopped getting them after the briefcase.

You can also turn off E. Gadd's hints, which I also recommend once you've activated Gooigi and everything.

Sep 14, 2019
This only happens very early on. You're still in what the game considers the tutorial, I think? I stopped getting them after the briefcase.

You can also turn off E. Gadd's hints, which I also recommend once you've activated Gooigi and everything.
Finishing the briefcase for me was I think about 2-2.5 hours, so it felt like it might have been a mechanic throughout the entire game. But yeah, I noticed after the briefcase I could at least go to different floors freely (dont know if it locked me out of sub areas), so that's nice to hear it stops.

The hints helped me a little with mechanics I didn't know about, but yeah, I'll probably turn them off now. Didnt know that was even an option.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The hints helped me a little with mechanics I didn't know about, but yeah, I'll probably turn them off now. Didnt know that was even an option.

I was actually fine with the hints until it gave me the solution to a puzzle I was still working on, which bummed me out. I had just had my eureka moment and was about to try it just to have E Gadd tell me what to do. That was when I turned it off.

But the whole "don't do that! do this instead!" thing ended early, which I appreciate.

Oct 27, 2017
Everything has been really fun so far, but floor 6 was the god damn business! Lots n' lots of great puzzle solving that takes full advantage of Gooigi's abilities with a great boss battle to top it off.
Also this game is just gorgeous.
I love how terrible the ghost's disguises are at the beginning of the game.

Yeah, that was great; it's very "How do you do, fellow humans?" lol.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Can anybody tell me is there hd rumble on this as i felt nothing?? Bit diappointed if it doesnt. Love the animations though.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the gems are as worthless as in LM2? Because I'm missing one in the movie studio area and it taunts me since I was finally gonna complete a row.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Having a blast, trying to stay out of here to avoid spoilers. Just returned to the second floor, I've completed gems on 3 floors but I'm missing the final one on the fifth. Getting most as I go

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Everything has been really fun so far, but floor 6 was the god damn business! Lots n' lots of great puzzle solving that takes full advantage of Gooigi's abilities with a great boss battle to top it off.
Also this game is just gorgeous.

Yeah, that was great; it's very "How do you do, fellow humans?" lol.
One of the ghosts clearly gets detached from their "feet" when you talk to them lol. Luigi also shows a suspicious face whenever he approaches one of them. It just screams "something is not right about this..."

I also love how Luigi has enough paranoia foresight to pack in a flashlight with his belongings. Probably thought "last time I was invited unprompted to someplace, it was haunted. I'll just take this just in case..."

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
this game is great yall. feel bad for doubting NLG, this game has some fantastic polish. all the interactive elements are really neat. I do wish it was a little less segmented with the elevator, but what IS here is very good. and as far as the style is concerned, it doesn't quite have that EAD feel which is to be expected. overall, very solid effort from NLG, and definitely gives me hope for their future projects!

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
How soon to I get to unlock co-op? I played for a bit yesterday and I promised my gf there was co-op mode, but it didn't happen right away. Everyone is talking about floors and I have no idea where I'm at.

I guess first floor, I'm right where you first fight the two ghosts locking up the hotel. 🤔

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
How soon to I get to unlock co-op? I played for a bit yesterday and I promised my gf there was co-op mode, but it didn't happen right away. Everyone is talking about floors and I have no idea where I'm at.

I guess first floor, I'm right where you first fight the two ghosts locking up the hotel. 🤔
You're roughly an hour away, I think. Co-op is unlocked once you obtain the ability to use Gooigi.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Can I jump into this without playing 1 or 2? I own 1 on 3DS, but never got around to playing it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just got the
VB.

I did not expect Nintendo to approve that, lol.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've now progressed to floor 7 and I feel I have a more solidified opinion of the game now.

Pros:

- Finally a proper sequel to Luigi's Mansion.
- So many options you can do and it's usually very intuitive what needs to be done.
- Graphics, animations, atmosphere... All absolute top notch.
- The game just oozes with creativity in design of areas, puzzles and bosses.

Cons

- The game is just too easy. Some bosses can be hard but even they lack the old tug-of-war mechanic. The slam is way too op.
- I've gotten used to the controls now (only using shoulder buttons is indeed the way to go) but it still feels like the game is harder to control than the original, in particular precision aiming.
- Not a super big fan of the progression system with elevator buttons. The individual floors are a bliss to play but the formula becomes too much of a find boss > go to next floor rather than focus on discovery.

I'm still enjoying every minute with the game! There's just not anything quite like Luigi's Mansion.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got the
VB.

I did not expect Nintendo to approve that, lol.
all-hail-the-virtual-boy-nintendo-dancing-Tomodachi-Life-13972509073.gif

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not very far, but I have to say that I think AndreGX was absolutely right about the slam. It is just way too OP.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I've now progressed to floor 7 and I feel I have a more solidified opinion of the game now.

Pros:

- Finally a proper sequel to Luigi's Mansion.
- So many options you can do and it's usually very intuitive what needs to be done.
- Graphics, animations, atmosphere... All absolute top notch.
- The game just oozes with creativity in design of areas, puzzles and bosses.

Cons

- The game is just too easy. Some bosses can be hard but even they lack the old tug-of-war mechanic. The slam is way too op.
- I've gotten used to the controls now (only using shoulder buttons is indeed the way to go) but it still feels like the game is harder to control than the original, in particular precision aiming.
- Not a super big fan of the progression system with elevator buttons. The individual floors are a bliss to play but the formula becomes too much of a find boss > go to next floor rather than focus on discovery.

I'm still enjoying every minute with the game! There's just not anything quite like Luigi's Mansion.
This is my general opinion as well. I'm really enjoying the game despite everything though. My concern is replayability, where the first game had replayable value because of the boss scoring system and the end game mansion score based on how much treasure you collected, I'm not sure what kind of incentives are baked into to replay again. If you collect everything and do it all, what then?

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
This is my general opinion as well. I'm really enjoying the game despite everything though. My concern is replayability, where the first game had replayable value because of the boss scoring system and the end game mansion score based on how much treasure you collected, I'm not sure what kind of incentives are baked into to replay again. If you collect everything and do it all, what then?

It's annoying that the game punishes you for buying goods along the way, as the money spent isn't factored into the ending rank/reward. Especially since it doesn't warn you of this (and doesn't really make any sense since the money went to Egadd!)

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
It's annoying that the game punishes you for buying goods along the way, as the money spent isn't factored into the ending rank/reward. Especially since it doesn't warn you of this (and doesn't really make any sense since the money went to Egadd!)
Glad to hear there is an incentive to collect/save money. I haven't bought anything yet, because I was worried there might be some. I lost my first dog bone already, so we'll see how far I get without some support items. Lol.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad everyone is in agreement on the slam move. Maybe, just maybe they'll patch in a change, or at least an option of some sorts. I want the ghost busters style tug of war to be returned. I don't mind a slam poweruo, but should nerfed and the charge up should should require 3-5 times as much sucking up to achieve it. Way too easy as is

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The controls seems like kinda a mess to me.
None of the options seem very good.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Floor 3F

In the restroom I can have Gooigi go through that pipe to the other restroom. But the water prevents me to do anything here. Probably something for later?

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
Such an amazing game.
Took a while to get used to the controls.
Love the VB references and everything around it.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I really enjoy how much you can just explore and interact with the environment without constantly being attacked by ghosts. It's really relaxing

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping I get something special for sucking up every one of those Luigi posters on the walls

tonyh24613

Oct 25, 2017
I like how strong smash is, make non-boss battles feel more fast pace and less repetitive, and with this game be on a stronger console, smash fits really well when they can put a great amount of ghosts in one room.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
How's the Multiplayer? Wife was looking to play something co-op and I wondering how difficult this would be. She doesn't play many games aside from management/strategy games on PC and isn't too used to a controller

Understand that it takes a little while until you unlock Gooigi/co-op, but is more or less a complete experience from that point on?

I'm pretty far into the game and there's a lot of Gooigi use, so I imagine it wouldn't be that boring for another player even though it's all single-playerable, not like say, Mario Odyssey. Some levels have more mandatory co-op stuff than others but it seems like it would always be nice to have another player around to help point out secrets and ideas for puzzles and boss fights and tag-team ghost fights. And the Gooigi player is sort of invincible because they can respawn almost instantly, so it seems like it would be pretty nice for a casual partner.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm undecided if i should get this game or not. It looks fantastic and very funny, but the senseless money hunt is putting me off. Having a huge amount of currency without a purpouse is a big flaw in games for me personally...
But it really looks like a fantastic game... hmmm..