• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
......fuck.

I have just taken control of Luigi after the intro cutscene and already I can't shut my jaw.

This is incredibly exciting thinking about the future of Mario/Nintendo with visuals and animations like these.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first Luigi's Mansion, so I don't know if it's always been like this, but my goodness, I can't get over how pretty much EVERYTHING in the environment can be moved or pushed or sucked up. The world feels so tangible.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Oh myNintenGod (yes I know who made this game)
EIQrcutWsAUNgP9

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So why is this like the only game on Switch to have anti aliasing? It alone makes a massive difference.

May 8, 2018
Really loving the game but man these controls. I just can't play with vertical aiming with right stick because there is no inverted option. Hence i'm trying to play with only horizontal aiming with gyro control which I also hate. I really hope they patch in an inverted vertical but doubt they will.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Played for about 2 hours while trick or treaters were visiting so a bit distracted, got through 2 bosses and i'm trading the game back into gamestop tomorrow (gamestop lets you trade back for $59.99 trade credit for 48 hours certain new games, this ones on the list). The visuals were great and the game is charming but it just didn't really click for me, first Luigi's game I've ever played, and I'm still working on a ton of other games.

I was playing with a pro controller and as a few people have commented, it was a bit frustrating at times. I eventually got the hang of it but it felt more complicated than it should be.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Also the boss in this game really lacks the charm and character that the human ghost had in the first Luigi mansion, I didn't even know that the first two boss ghost were boss as they didn't look or behave differently from the normal ghosts.

Steward and Chambrea are the most basic ghosts out there (the others are more interesting), although I like that the latter is a hoarder.

She has her own secret room with lots of random garbage.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played for about 2 hours while trick or treaters were visiting so a bit distracted, got through 2 bosses and i'm trading the game back into gamestop tomorrow (gamestop lets you trade back for $59.99 trade credit for 48 hours certain new games, this ones on the list). The visuals were great and the game is charming but it just didn't really click for me, first Luigi's game I've ever played, and I'm still working on a ton of other games.

I was playing with a pro controller and as a few people have commented, it was a bit frustrating at times. I eventually got the hang of it but it felt more complicated than it should be.

That's a damn shame.

Personally I think it's absolutely delightful and a joyfully fun game to play.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Furthest I've gotten into the Scarescraper at this point is floor 4 I think. On 5 floor or 10 floor runs. This shit is a lot of fun, way better than I expected. I didn't fuck with it at all in Dark Moon.

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Y'all this fucking game! I love it! I liked Luigi's Mansion 2 on the 3ds but I felt like it lacked that killer "opmh" ya know? But this game, this game! It has it! Next Level Games knocked it outta the park with this one.

Last edited:

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Play Scarescraper with me. I'm getting drunk and my friend passed out. Need more disposable Luigi's, randoms ain't cuttin it.

SW-4110-4885-7810

Sep 14, 2019
Dang a lot of the problem solving here is making me stupid. Some of it seems like they expect you to have played the first two games until they eventually give you a hint, cause I could have sworn there was just a few mechanics they casually mention after you've already wasted minutes trying to figure out what to do as if you should just know the mechanic. 😂

Not that I'm complaining. Fun game.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This is a dream come true and I'm in the second room of the game.

What would you do if you saw this after Mario 1 or Mario WORLD????

I can't even tell what MAGIC TRICKS are on screen right now!

What fucking SPELL did they put on this game??

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Finished the game... loved it! Definitely a HUGE step up from Dark Moon, and may very well be my favorite in the series.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. My best friend wanted to play it and seemed to know he wouldn't live long enough. Playing it for you Adam!

Jun 2, 2019
Furthest I've gotten into the Scarescraper at this point is floor 4 I think. On 5 floor or 10 floor runs. This shit is a lot of fun, way better than I expected. I didn't fuck with it at all in Dark Moon.

Then you missed a great online mode dude, the original scarescraper was way more frantic than LM3's. I spent as much time in that mode as I did in Kid Icarus Uprising deadmatch

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I was sick today so no work, which means perfect time to pick this game up and play a couple hours. Got to floor 6, last boss I beat was the
Chef
Game is a looker, so much detail with Luigi and the characters, the lighting and graphics are probably the best I've seen on the Switch thus far. Next Level Games did a standout job with this game.

Nov 8, 2017
Now that I've got the shoulder button control scheme down, I'm having a blast! It's really rewarding to explore, Nintendo made this game chock full of secrets. I'm only up to floor 3 but having so much fun already.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Then you missed a great online mode dude, the original scarescraper was way more frantic than LM3's. I spent as much time in that mode as I did in Kid Icarus Uprising deadmatch

Interesting. I remember telling myself I would do it after beating the game, but I never beat it. I'm glad I'm getting to know itnow, and it sounds like it's similar enough for you to still think it's rad in that same way. But what about DMs do you think is better? I could see myself playing this for a while if they added more shit to it, so hopefully it lives it to the best it can be. I've been playing for like 3 hours tonight lol

Jun 2, 2019
Interesting. I remember telling myself I would do it after beating the game, but I never beat it. I'm glad I'm getting to know itnow, and it sounds like it's similar enough for you to still think it's rad in that same way. But what about DMs do you think is better? I could see myself playing this for a while if they added more shit to it, so hopefully it lives it to the best it can be. I've been playing for like 3 hours tonight lol

Actually the scarescrapper in LM2 helped you to improve the poltergust in the main adventure and viceversa, so there was this kind of sinergy between both modes that was kinda neat

What made it (in my opinion) better than LM3s scarescrapper is that there were less safe zones and stages were more compact, so they were both more frantic and fast to complete. It was a pretty fast paced online for a series like Luigi's Mansion

LM3's isn't bad by any means, though, but it's another flavor, and the size of the floors makes them harder to complete

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actually the scarescrapper in LM2 helped you to improve the poltergust in the main adventure and viceversa, so there was this kind of sinergy between both modes that was kinda neat

What made it (in my opinion) better than LM3s scarescrapper is that there were less safe zones and stages were more compact, so they were both more frantic and fast to complete. It was a pretty fast paced online for a series like Luigi's Mansion

LM3's isn't bad by any means, though, but it's another flavor, and the size of the floors makes them harder to complete

Awesome to know, thank you. To be honest one of the things I love about LM3's mode is how there's so much space. I actually like that there's more areas to screw up and waste time or get a better time in, but I can definitely understand the other way as well. Sounds like I got lucky.

I do really wish it was more influential. If not in the single player...something. There's nothing to it besides just having a good time. Which to it's credit says a lot to it for myself considering I've been playing all night, but I'm not sure how long I can see myself playing it.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Reached the
third
floor yesterday. Love it so far. Mechanics feel great, it oozes charm.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Loving it so far. The aiming is a little too sensitive for me, and I wish there was a semi-scoring system like they had with the first game, but it's super fun.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
This game is a freaking joy to behold. I didn't really know what I was getting myself into (haven't played any of the other games). All I knew was that the reviews were outstanding, and I wanted a Halloween-y type game for the season. I'm three hours in, and it may be my favourite Switch game.

I'm so impressed by everything on display.

* Had a glitch where I couldn't leave a room after taking down three maid ghosts. I reset, and everything was ok. My first true scare.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loool. First of all I love how toonish the game is with the animations. I just reached the part at the beginning where Luigi is with EGadd and a painting dropped and Luigi jumped up so high freaked out. EGadd just laughed out loud. Holy shit that was funny.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Played through the first six floors with my girlfriend. Some quick impressions.

Controls aren't great. Way worse for those who don't play games much. My girlfriend struggled for a while, and it was kind of frustrating to watch, but she's getting the hang of it.
Game is super cute. Had us both giggling/laughing a lot.
Sucking up ghosts is a lot of fun. Bosses are really great so far.
Animation is really good. Graphics are good, even when upscaled on a 4K display.
Gooigi does a lot early on. If you want to be "player one," you may want to play as Gooigi. Not sure if this will change later on. He can't open doors though, so Luigi leads the way.

Really enjoying it so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Who wants to chat about the 100% completion rewards with me?

I'm far from completing the game, but I went ahead and watched the GameXplain video revealing the prizes, and it really got me thinking.

If you don't want to watch the video to find out—
—collecting all the boos changes your flashlight beam to project a boo face, and collecting all the gems makes the Poltergust's plunger diamond-encrusted. While both are neat visual flourishes, they're so minor that they ultimately feel pointless.

That's not a huge deal in and of itself, but so far in my playthrough (up to floor 6), the only things I can buy in Gadd's shop are:

1. Gold bones (giving you an extra life when your health reaches 0)
2. The ability to show a gem on the map for 1,000 gold
3. The ability to show a boo on the map for 1,000 gold

And that's it. So here are my questions:

1. Do any other items become available for purchase later on?
2. Is there some sort of NG+ mode so you can actually use the boo flashlight and diamond plunger during a playthrough?
3. Do the boo flashlight and diamond plunger carry over into multiplayer mode?

I have a sinking feeling that the answer to all three of those questions is "no." And if that's the case, the entire economy of the game is irrevocably screwed. The vast majority of your time spent exploring the nooks and crannies of the hotel yields you money, but if there are only three things you can spend money on, and all of them are that superficial (including the gold bones, as I've not come anywhere close to dying so far... and I'm guessing even if you do die, the penalty is quite minor), that means a thorough playthrough of sucking up everything you can and hunting for secrets is ultimately in service of nothing.

I'm getting flashbacks to New Super Mario Bros. 2 here, where collecting coins was such a huge part of the game, yet the reward for amassing a million (which the game presents as an overarching ultimate goal) nets you... an alternate title screen. At least 50% of my time in Luigi's Mansion 3 so far has been spent vacuuming everything I can, and knowing that it might all be a complete waste is seriously hampering my desire to do anything other than stay on the critical path.

There's obviously an argument to be made that the act of exploration and sucking up every little thing is a reward in and of itself. The animations are lush, the interactivity with the environments are top-notch, figuring out the puzzles to collect the gems is oftentimes delightful, and having a weapon that inhales mounds of cash to the effect of satisfying coin clinks and the rustling of dolla dolla bills y'all is music to my ears. But if the economy is ultimately as borked as it appears, that will assuredly knock my impression of this game down from masterpiece-tier to merely good—great. The idea of 50% or more of your playthrough being a complete waste in terms of progression or reward is so, so disappointing.

I hope to King Boo I'm wrong in my assessment.
If somebody has some contradictory information, please let me know!

Oct 25, 2017
1) No
2) No (that I'm aware of)
3) Yes

(Good timing, am just about to sleep haha)
Andre with that late-night Halloween bender!

I appreciate the info my man (and all the amazing work you do on your channel).

That you can carry those visual touches into multiplayer hardly solves my issue, as I doubt I'll touch much of the ScareScraper mode, but at least it's 15% better than the worst-case scenario I was imagining. Still, what a huge missed opportunity to do something more meaningful with all that cash you collect!

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Played around 2-3 hours yesterday, this game might actually become my GOTY if it keeps this momentum going. It's crazy how good this game is, the animations are incredible and just the way the game plays is such a joy, can't wait to play more!

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I know everybody is saying it, but damn this game is pretty. The animations and visuals really blow me away. Great, great work.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Played quite a bit yesterday, got to the 6th floor before taking a break in the main story mode.

I then went on to play Scarescraper for a couple of hours. I actually managed to clear a 10-floor tower with randoms! Took me like 4 attempts, though. Still lots of fun, and I already feel like I know a lot of details about it that can help me in the long run.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Switching the controls so you can turn while vacuuming and using the bumper buttons for your light, plunger and black light make a huge difference.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I got this game as a surprise gift yesterday and played through it with friends til the 8th floor. We all loved it and were surprised by how much it shines in co-op. We didn't even try that feature til about the 5th floor or so and now it's going to be weird to play through the rest alone. It's like the game gets better with each new floor, it was really hard to quit.

Was so disappointed with LM2 back in the day, so it's great to see that this lives up to the orginal so far.