• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
One thing I dislike for now is the uselessness of money. In LM2 money worked as a powerup and in the first as overall score... here you can buy optional things that make an easy game even easier. And sadly the reward for exploration is always money.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Man, these controls suck.

I would have rather been forced to be stationary when aiming the plunger and dark light and aim with the left stick than be forced to play claw just to aim with the right. This game needs remappable controls (AND INVERT AXIS) so badly.

Apr 21, 2018
R Stick Aim is at default omnidirectional, but man it takes getting used to and I don't like how Luigi keeps turning when I hold the stick left/right.

Other option is using horizontal and then gyro for up and down. What do you guys use?

I've just been getting used to the default. I'm inverted, and it's just a bit weird because when Luigi faces away from camera inversion feels like it should be natural, but when he faces the camera the uninverted is fine. I also sometimes spin Luigi the opposite way horizontally based on his orientation. These are issues I remember running into in LM1 and LM2 but got over. Luckily it's more of a slower paced puzzle game, not requiring lightning reflexes.

I can't switch to horizontal-only because otherwise you have no way to look up with using your vacuum, so it doesn't really work.

It's an odd controlling game. To have essentially dual analog control but not tied to essential camera. Is there anything else like it? I'm not sure. I'm inverted and just wrestling my brain into this style, and as j play it works.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
I can't switch to horizontal-only because otherwise you have no way to look up with using your vacuum, so it doesn't really work.

Use gyro for aiming up/down with vacuum. Takes some getting used to but works well, you barely have to move it and then when you let go of the trigger it centers the y-axis again.

My mind will never accept non-inverted controls so this is a good solution for me.

Yes but this doesn't fix my plunger problem.

Plunger is bound to L? Hold it down and you should have free aim via the right-stick.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
If the reviews for Death Stranding are not outstanding, I'll probably buy this in its place.

But I just wanted to say the the OT title is so fucking good, lol.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Confirmed no cloud saves right? So now way to play both on my Lite and on my OG Switch?

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
If she is going to play coop with you, the coop mode doesn't unlock until 1-2 hours into the game (maybe sooner if you don't explore much but I was searching for every coin in every room so it took me awhile).
Thanks, that helps.

On one hand, I'd like her to be there in the beginning to see the story and setup. On the other hand, I know she's not going to stick around for the entire game so I'm not sure if that's worth it or not. Decisions, decisions.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My main issue for this game heading into floor 2 is the difficulty. Waaaaay too easy. The mechanic of hitting enemies with A when sucking them is way too op so far. It removes the unique battle element of how to suck ghosts almost completely. For now there's never a reason not to use this mechanic which is just dumb and I hope it changes later.

Other than that it's all I ever wanted from a Luigi's Mansion successor.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So I noticed when I do the jump move at this carpet, it rolls back, and reveals some kind of grate? But this is probably something for later?

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Use gyro for aiming up/down with vacuum. Takes some getting used to but works well, you barely have to move it and then when you let go of the trigger it centers the y-axis again.

My mind will never accept non-inverted controls so this is a good solution for me.

Plunger is bound to L? Hold it down and you should have free aim via the right-stick.

wait what

:O

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
My main issue for this game heading into floor 2 is the difficulty. Waaaaay too easy. The mechanic of hitting enemies with A when sucking them is way too op so far. It removes the unique battle element of how to suck ghosts almost completely. For now there's never a reason not to use this mechanic which is just dumb and I hope it changes later.

Bosses are much more difficult, I find. Interested in if you agree.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but after playing Luigi's Mansion 1 & 2 back-to-back the past week, Charles Martinet's voice for Luigi definitely has changed. 1 & 2, the voice was higher pitched, in 3 it's a bit lower - to the point of sounding similar to Wario.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
xjRx2Bx.jpg

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Can't wait to play this game tomorrow I'm to tired to play it today but I don't like the box art sadly

Apr 21, 2018
i do not get why this is such a huge complaint? tbh i never thought any human used inverted controls on anything except controlling aerial vehicles in games so trying to understand the issue?

TPS and FPS and camera controls too. I am only inverted for all of these cases.

The only reason I can get by in LM3 is because it's not tied to camera and we aren't over Luigi's shoulder like a shooter. Otherwise I could not play it.

They need to patch in the option though.

Oct 31, 2017
I just binged it for almost four hours outside in the cold Halloween night air and had a blast. Can't wait to attack it again tomorrow evening. Like most others have said, the visuals are something else and the atmosphere is so cozy. It's like diving into a pleasant children's Halloween picture book.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate that jack-o-lanterns are actually part of the hotel's decor once everything turns spoopy

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
i do not get why this is such a huge complaint? tbh i never thought any human used inverted controls on anything except controlling aerial vehicles in games so trying to understand the issue?

Nah, there's a consistently large number of people who play games with inverted controls. You usually don't hear about them because it's pretty much standard to have the option to invert controls, so the only time they'll make noise is when an outlier comes along that doesn't allow it.

If they're like me, it's hard-wired into their brain, too. Imagine playing a platformer where pushing left made you run right, and vice versa - it's probably doable to eventually get used to it, but it's not any fun and you need to re-acclimatize yourself each time.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

My thoughts as well. I think the combat is weaker than even the Gamecube game. I'd rather just have the standard tug o' war and spin the joystick mechanic. The incredibly op slam makes the combat so boring. Even sticking to just the suction is too easy, the ghosts can't even make you break hold by running towards objects like the first 2 games. You're practically invincible against enemies that aren't a boss. I get accessibility but this goes well beyond that. This is downright dull, just as GameXplain described it. Brings down an otherwise terrific game.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't really have an issue with the slam so far, though it does make the standard mooks mindless encounters... which might be fine if it means they can cram more enemies into an encounter later, but they definitely haven't capitalized on it yet.

It doesn't seem much different from the super charge in the 3DS game, though it does seem to be a bit more powerful.

(on a similar note i do appreciate that it basically gives you the full kit from that game back in the first 45 minutes of the game)

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Nah, there's a consistently large number of people who play games with inverted controls. You usually don't hear about them because it's pretty much standard to have the option to invert controls, so the only time they'll make noise is when an outlier comes along that doesn't allow it.

If they're like me, it's hard-wired into their brain, too. Imagine playing a platformer where pushing left made you run right, and vice versa - it's probably doable to eventually get used to it, but it's not any fun and you need to re-acclimatize yourself each time.
It just confused me like i never heard of it being such a big thing then again i always wondered why it was so common as well.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the game today and played a bit of it the graphic is really good and the game is oozing with charm...however;
  • The game has garbage accessibly option,
  • Terrible sound mixing as the music is too quiet and you can't adjust the volume for it,
  • Not being able to remap the buttons layout,
  • The map design is horrible compare to Luigi Mansion 1 and it doesn't even tell you what gem you have collected unless you're on that floor,
  • I don't understand why I can't use the - button to pull up the map, it's not even being used for anything,
  • Pressing L and R for the darkstobe light is a pain as sometime it doesn't register,
  • I don't understand why you can't save the game whenever you want, I find it stupid that the game tells the player that the only way to save the game is go through the door but wait at least 10 second otherwise it won't save,
  • I hate gooey Luigi, it's just so clunky having to use both of them at the same time, Luigi Mansion did not need two player mode,
  • But most of all I hate the slam move, it completely ruins the flow of the game and is a terrible addition to Luigi mansion and just makes combat so boring and unrewarding, it should have been an option,
  • The game does a bad job in teaching move to the players, I didn't know that you could use the plunger move on the boss as the game didn't exactly make it clear,
All in all, I am enjoying the game, despite combat being so unsatisfying and unrewarding, and while so far it's a major improvement over Luigi Mansion 2: Dark Moon. The first game is still the superior game.

Nah, Retro Studio is still my friend as they made Donkey Kong Country Return and Tropical Freeze.

Man I really want a new Donkey Kong Country game.

You can call for Mario with Dpad. Hey its the small things. :)

It's strange that he doesn't call for Peach also. 🤔

Either way, I still prefer Luigi humming in the first game.