• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Very disappointed to see another game where Nintendo don't have voice overs. Really frustrating for my son who can't read yet. They are the worst for this.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda annoying that there's no way to use the dark light without using the face buttons. At least it's really just going to be used for slow paced exploring, but I have to claw my controller pretty much everytime I use it

Oct 31, 2017
Later tonight I have to sit outside this place for 8 hours to reserve rehearsal spaces for my company (first come first served basis) so I'll be sitting outside the entryway to that building, in the dead of night, in the dark, headphones in and booting up the game for the first time. Can't wait to just dig in for a long session!

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
About halfway through the game now, I think, and wow - the level design really starts getting crazy near the midpoint. NLG have really brought their A-game! Can't wait to see folks reactions to the movie studio's gimmick.

BratmanDu

Mar 27, 2018
This looks great - can anyone explain screampark for me - is it 4 players per machine? So if I wanted 8 player I'd need 2 Switches, 2 copies of LM3, and 8 joycons? Or is it 8 locally like Smash? Can you have 2vs2 locally?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, I wish the game would tell you that L can use the plunger shot, R can use the light, and l+r at the same time can use the dark light.

Set your direction controls to horizontal only and use the bumpers+triggers for everything except gooigi and the slam, then say goodbye to awkward controls!

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Just got the 4th floor button. As someone who absolutely adores the first game and was so unimpressed by Dark Moon that I couldn't even finish it, I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I do have some small gripes (they went way overboard with the amount of useless garbage lying around, and it's disappointing that the gallery doesn't have short little bios for the boss ghosts like LM1 had for the portrait ghosts), but I can't deny the game is a vast improvement over the last game.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Done for the night. Could definitely keep playing but it's 5am. I just beat the chef ghost, and so far I'm extremely impressed.

Most of the stuff I was concerned about hasn't been a factor. The game has got some top notch atmosphere, the ghost hunting is fun, everything's awesome. Fuck yeah.

Also give it up for Charles Martinet. His voice work here is so fucking good. All the stuff he gets across, crazy considering how little vocabulary he has to work with.

Psst, press L&R at the same time :)

Oh the bumpers? I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Very disappointed to see another game where Nintendo don't have voice overs. Really frustrating for my son who can't read yet. They are the worst for this.
You want them to go the wario ware gold way for main luigi/mario then?
I would love it, but i know a lot of people here wouldnt be please. I suppose we will need to wait for the illuminations (shudder) mario movie to see what they do with the voices there.
In games they could always go the route of egad and other characters having voiced dialogue with mario and luigi only having the reactive phrases in gameplay they always have.
The thing is, if they go that route, and it wouod be for the children, they would need to start doing japanese and european dubs lile they did with wario ware gold. Again something i wouldnt mind because the castillian spanish one in that game was really good but im sure a lot of people would not be happy with.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Come on Amazon. Luigi's Mansion was the game that borught me back as a Nintendo fan, this series is so special to me.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still early days but I'm really underwhelmed right now - having the same problem I had with Dark Moon in that the production values are nice, but I just find the game and the gameplay thoroughly boring and occasionally arduous. The controls are still less than ideal too.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
What does the horizontal aiming only option actually do? Aren't there times when you do need to aim upwards? How does that work?

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still at the intro but man the music is so good already. This is my first Luigi's mansion game. I wish both 1 and 2 could come to the switch.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
You want them to go the wario ware gold way for main luigi/mario then?
I would love it, but i know a lot of people here wouldnt be please. I suppose we will need to wait for the illuminations (shudder) mario movie to see what they do with the voices there.
In games they could always go the route of egad and other characters having voiced dialogue with mario and luigi only having the reactive phrases in gameplay they always have.
The thing is, if they go that route, and it wouod be for the children, they would need to start doing japanese and european dubs lile they did with wario ware gold. Again something i wouldnt mind because the castillian spanish one in that game was really good but im sure a lot of people would not be happy with.

They could just make it an option off by default. Their games cost a fortune and they just seem to do the bare bones in all of them. Ring fit is like 30% voices, rest you need to read.

Apart from that the game is beautiful and I can't wait to get stuck in.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
They could just make it an option off by default. Their games cost a fortune and they just seem to do the bare bones in all of them. Ring fit is like 30% voices, rest you need to read.

Apart from that the game is beautiful and I can't wait to get stuck in.

Nah, those things cost a lot of budget, if voicework is made the default option will always be on. You can always have an option to switch them off, but those things cost too much to be treated only as an option.
Nintendo made a huge fuss about Wario Ware Gold, Starfox 64 3ds and Zelda BOTW finally being voiced in different languages for example. They treat it as a big thing, but they are really strange in their own internal rules about what games should be voiced and dubbed in different languages, and which ones dont. Why Wario Ware Gold for example?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played it for the first two hours. It feels so good to be revisiting this series again!

The environmental detail and character animations are off the charts. Some of the strongest work from a Nintendo game ever in this regard. Everyone from Luigi, to E. Gadd, Polterpup, and all the ghosts have so much life in them.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
My copy is waiting for me in the store. Unfortunately that store is in Scotland and I'm currently in London with work. Adult life sucks sometimes.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
The further you get, the more complex the levels get. I am now at floor 12 I think. And some levels were pretty head scratching sometimes. Also why must be water levels always be bad when it is Nintendo lol.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to only play this game at night :P
And hopefully finish Dragon Quest during the day lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did you really make a poll that spoils all the bosses?
These have all been shown off in trailers. There's still plenty of bosses that have not been shown off.

This looks great - can anyone explain screampark for me - is it 4 players per machine? So if I wanted 8 player I'd need 2 Switches, 2 copies of LM3, and 8 joycons? Or is it 8 locally like Smash? Can you have 2vs2 locally?
The official site says 2-8 players on one screen, for 2v2s should be possible. Unsure if you can play via local wireless.

Head over to the Nintendo Japanese game page for some wonderful illustrations of how Professor E. Gadd created Gooigi.

There's an English page for this too, with a whole story about his creation!