• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Jun 2, 2019
Actually, one of the game's developers referenced the "Wii U version" when talking about Luigi's Mansion on Treehouse Live during this past E3. So it very likely was at least planned for the Wii U.

(Not that that changes anything, though.)
Pretty sure they confirmed it started as a Wii U game tho

Oh! I barely watched the Treehouse LM3 segment, I wanted to get into the game as blind as I could

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
First hours of play and I must say that, at an artistic level, this game is a masterpiece. The atmosphere is exquisite that revolves around a master use of lighting, where they have managed to preserve and deliver an excellent image quality.

The voice acting is one of the best works of Charles Martinet, the expressions are varied and give even more character and personality to Luigi and friends, specially, added to one of the things that best presumes the game: its animations.

Next Level Games has done a superb job in many aspects, but those well crafted animations give life to the characters and the world in general as few games do, literally, it seems that we are playing a Pixar movie.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is one of the best, if not the best, game in the Mario universe in a matter of presentation and should be a reference of how Nintendo should evolve their characters and worlds in this regard.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I have to say, after playing it for a bit yesterday I was impressed; it looks really, really good.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I came back to ARMS recently and realised how much I miss tailor made games for Switch - it still remains one of the most impressive looking games on the system for me.

Nothing wrong with those awesome ports but it's almost like Switch is -too- powerful since it's just a safer option to port rather than develop something new.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the types of games Nintendo likes to make, you almost have to wonder if Switch 2 tech (Ampere based GPU?) will be basically be close to the roof of what Nintendo would want to do for a long time.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I rest my case lol.

But seriously, yes plenty of games off the top of my head Yoshi's Crafted World were said to look really nice and great but then the numbers came in and things like "not even native res, unplayable!" cropped up.

What case? I haven't praised it cause I haven't seen it in person, I just asked a serious question, if it's native in handheld mode or not.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
This game is probably the best looking Switch title I've seen. It really shows that Switch is far above the last gen consoles with its graphical capabilities.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This game is insane, this might be the best animated game I have ever played. Some of the animations are just crazy good!

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing the game and I can´t believe what I am looking at. It truly looks like an animation film. You can tell they have put a lot of effort and care in everything: apart from the lightning system and animations that are being fairly praised by everyone, the textures (Luigi´s clothes are a marvelous example), anti-aliasing, details and models, when simple, are notorious too. The cutscenes seem to be running in the game engine too, if I´m not wrong. Also, if I remember correctly the resolution is full HD when docked and the preliminary tests showed a pretty stable game performance-wise.

Hear me out, videos don´t do any justice to this game. You need to have the game in front of you and play it to actually be as surprised as me.

I´m happy this game sets a new standard for Nintendo Switch talking about graphical/technical matters and for Nintendo in general. I know this game is developed by Next Level Games, but they are a second-party, so this is a Nintendo release anyway.

Fight me if you think otherwise ;P

Happy Halloween everyone!
I expected a video at the very leat Op...

Anyway, game looks great. Me and my GF are buying a Switch for Christmas. This game is on the top of our list.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Hopefully, after Breath of the Wild 2 (which looks identical to BOTW so far) they can remake Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask with this art style and graphical prowess?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
At a glance, it looks like it, but there's reason to believe the game might be using some kind of temporal reconstruction based on the E3 demo (either that or some kind of odd AA implementation). Will need a more structured scientific analysis to tell for sure.

Thanks. Since one of our local stores has his yearly or half a year "20% off of every toy or video game" in this exact week, I might bite the bullet and just spontaneously get it. I'm very interested in the whole technicality of the game.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
This is interestingly the area where I see the greatest need for improvement!

And by lighting I mean indirect lighting and indirect shadowing, not 'volumetric' lighting or how objects are shaded in direct light, nor the General colours of the game offers
I mean sure, but at the end of the day it is still a Switch game, so something had to give. Enhanced indirect lighting would have likely come at the cost of IQ/resolution, so I can't say I disagree with NLG's chosen compromise. It's nice seeing a game on Switch look this sharp whilst still managing to maintain a lighting and materials model that's closer to current gen standards than last.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Was already expecting a lot because how good Dark Moon looked considering it was running on a dinky 3DS.

The visuals for 3 are amazing. The detail in every room, the art style; it's a joy to take everything in.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I played for about an hour and it looked good, but the switch has other good looking games too. Maybe it's the anti aliasing making things look more cohesive.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
Just got the game. Wow, even after reading about the transition from cutscenes to gameplay I was caught off guard by the quality of graphics. I waited a good five seconds before I realized I was in game! The game is very charming and fun too. I hope we end up using these coins though lol cause I'm obsessed with collecting them.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
It looks stunning in handheld. The only thing I think it needs is a touch of per object motion blur, maybe even full screen motion blur. The 30fps in this game looking a little too flickery for some reason.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
This game is insane, this might be the best animated game I have ever played. Some of the animations are just crazy good!

In particular, the burst move (ZR+ZL) where it propels him up in the air is incredible. I found myself hitting it multiple times during elevator rides just admiring the fluid animation, would love to see a slowed down gif version to post on here.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
That groove in the
shopping floor
is nice! They had a lot of fun with this game!

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
The exploration in this is great. It feels quite different from the first game, but that's okay. I like the more labyrinthine approach to level design in this, I really feel like I gotta look closely at the map to find every secret.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
It's very pretty. The best on Switch? I don't know yet but maybe. I certainly don't have any complaints on the visual end of things.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Game is as stunning as the OP claims!
I wasn't even going to buy this I don't love Luigis Mansion. But the lighting, and especially the animation/physics on EVERYTHING that you Hoover up is super impressive.

oh and the music is godly too wtf!

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
A greatly encoded video should do the trick, no? What would seeing it running on real hardware add?
There is always something more in having the game running in your own hardware, even when it is just to contemplate it. I watch a lot of gameplay videos on the internet, and the visual impact and perception always differs and it is never the same when you are actually playing the game in my opinion.

Anyway, just reached the medieval themed floor. It keeps getting better.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
The one review I watched said not really, they had a ton at game end.

Had to postpone starting due to trick r treating, I really cant play without my kid. C'mon 3:30...

I just got to the part where you learn what to use then for, but I can totally believe that by endgame Luigi is as rich as Mario or Peach lol

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is interestingly the area where I see the greatest need for improvement!

And by lighting I mean indirect lighting and indirect shadowing, not 'volumetric' lighting or how objects are shaded in direct light, nor the General colours of the game offers

Same. What's there works and is clean, but it's technically a simplistic implementation in my eyes, and you could easily see how it can be improved. Heck, I think even games like Alan Wake or Resident Evil have better flashlights in them, but to their credit what NLG has gone for at least seems to be impressing a lot of people.

There's actually nothing technically that impresses me with this game at all as an individual component, but at least they've ended with a nice, clean image.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
The game is certainly fantastic from an art direction standpoint. Animations, environment design, and overall presentation are all top-notch. It's really amazing to see what devs can do on the switch for games like LM3 and Animal Crossing. Congrats to Next Level Games.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
I love the way you can interact with the environment and characters, specially E. Gadd. The animation work is flawless, I love this game.

EITexX8XYAAivpG.jpg:large

EITexXxWsAAifi-.jpg:large

EITexYJXUAAQYbu.jpg:large