• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's the by far the best looking Nintendo game from an art and animation stand point. It's also amazing they managed to do so while getting soooo many interactive physics based elements in there.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I must be crazy cos I played it for a few hours last night and thought it looked good but not mind-blowing. I'll look closer when I play more later.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I wish they went with 60fps like Mario Odyssey for example. Makes controlling and looking at a game much more enjoyable, high fidelity graphics or not.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching the DF video on the Switch version of BOTW and how it compares to the Wii U version. I don't know if I watched it when it came out, but whether I did or not, one thing that I was ecstatic to hear is that, even at the time of the video, BOTW was already considered to not be using the docked mode to it's full extent. DF seemed a little disappointed even ...which actually really excites me, because BOTW is still one of the most impressive Switch games, and I'd love to see how it's sequel fully utilizes the Switch. Obviously as consoles get older and 1st party developers get more used to the hardware, they start to better optimize their games around the system's maximum potential. But the fact that even in 2017 the possibilities were much brighter is really cool.
Yeah this is something that pops into my head from time to time, BotW is, IMO, an incredible game visually... and it's basically a Wii U game.

End of life Switch games are gonna be wild, and as others have pointed out, because Nintendo typically goes after a more cartoony aesthetic than photo real, their graphics can look crazy good on "underpowered" hardware. I'm still amazed at what Mario Galaxy looks like, especially when run in HD on an emulator. That's a Wii game!! Wtf!? An HD port of Skyward Sword would probably look like a living painting with the way they did the background effects and blur to make it look like watercolor... again, on the Wii!

I was gonna wait a bit to get Luigi's Mansion but I'm a major sucker for quality animation and the impressions on LM3 are pretty glowing... I might have to bite the bullet and get it sooner than I planned.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
I agree it looks awesome, especially in handheld on the Switch smaller display, but i'm about to finish the game and i gotta say that the last levels are not as detailed as the initial ones, not that they don't look good, but compared to the first scenes and the Hotel Lobby i can see how they where made with less time available

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the resolution though? That's the most important thing when it comes to the visuals of a game.

Not only that people tend to focus only on the visuals and then looking at other games and thinking why doesn't Zelda look this good as a example, must be lazy or no optimization.

When in fact it's because Luigi Mansion 3 looks good is because it has such a narrow view. It has very little to render as it's just a Camera view pointing at a small section. While Open world games tend to need many more resources (CPU for constantly streaming assets/terrain), and needing camera control to quickly turn around and see many things that load or unload really fast.

Game looks good no doubt, just don't think that all games even open world games will suddenly get the same visual jump. Ofcourse things will get better with constant work, but not everything is apples to apples.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I feel we get this thread/discussion for every new Switch release lol.

Haven't played it, but based on the little I've seen it looks close to Mario+ Rabbids graphically.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel we get this thread/discussion for every new Switch release lol.

Haven't played it, but based on the little I've seen it looks close to Mario+ Rabbids graphically.

It shouldn't be a surprise but I would say that we didn't see the same growth throughout the lifetime of Wii,3DS and Wii U.

The 3DS especially had its most impressive game in 2012.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
These games are always super impressive visually to me. I remember being blown away by the first game at the time. I also thought Luigi's Mansion 2 looked absolutely incredible for a 3DS game. Luigi's Mansion 3 lives up to its predecessors and is definitely the most visually impressive game on the system so far (Link's Awakening would be right there with it if it weren't for the framerate issues).

Nintendo/Next Level have done a great job using the series' format to consistently deliver fantastic visuals.

And goddamn LM3 has so much charm and character. Great character designs, incredible animations and I love Charles Martinet's delivery so much.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's stuuuuuupidly gorgeous, and locked to 30fps, to boot. I cannot wait to see DF break down the insane screen-space reflections and material-based lighting going on in this game. All that plus Luigi's emotive animations.

I called it the prettiest Switch game yet in my Ars review. It's no contest. Not even close.
Damn that's high praise. I'm jealous I can't play it still!

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the graphics are simply amazing. Just like with the previous entries, Nintendo keeps this franchise to be very graphically impressive.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Started playing it today. It's very fun. Visually, I wouldn't say the graphics themselves are amazing (especially the day time scenes at the beginning - you could tell the kind of lighting the developers focused on was under dim/dark which is the majority of the game). The graphics are good enough though. But it's the animations and level of detail that is great to watch.

zodiaq

Oct 28, 2017
Played it a bit and it looks great. Unfortunately, I have encountered fps drops in docked mode. The animations are just gorgous to watch and really make this game shine. I would say overall it is fun - the controls could be improved though. I find it kind of hard to aim at the ghosts from time to time.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now imagine what Retro is gong to pull off with Metroid Prime 4.

And also imagine what a freakin' Punch-Out!! game from Next Level would look like on Switch!!!!

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely have to see this in person because I find it hard to believe this looks better than Astral Chain graphically.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Wait. You can't invert the Y-axis? Tell me that isn't real? I inverted the Y-axis in Starfox(snes) and never looked back.