• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Sorry but from Sanji's declaration to Pudding in her room, his devastation to learning of her betrayal in the rain, his honest reaction to her true beauty despite the third eye, their lovey dovey moments while baking the cake, and finally Sanji sharing his first ever kiss in the series with Pudding, and the heartbreak of Pudding wiping it out of Sanji's memories, this was a (tragic) romance story through and through. Sanji's relationship with Pudding was unlike any of the women he's oogled over the years, a stark indication that he saw something deeper in her romantically. I don't even see how Ussop and Kaya's platonic relationship is even part of the conversation. I think you really need to look deeper into how developed and explored that arc was for Sanji and his relationship with Pudding.

People saying this must not keep up with the series. Like at all.
an aside sanji and viola deffs was more romantic and reciprocal than his previous outings with women, not quite as developed as sanji pudding , but sanji 2/2 for now

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Goku is in the same category as Luffy. That whole Chichi thing (even if Gohan came from it) has always been seen as an "ehh...idk..." type of thing for me. Besides the stuff the anime and dub added it's always felt like he was more concerned with the fight than anything else.

Luffy's the same but more about adventure, One Piece and the love of his crew.

I mean sure, we're going to see Luffy married to Hancock at the end of the series with them having a kid and all but that's going to be a "alright, Luffy has to get someone so let's put him with someone who truly loves him" type of thing.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Absolutely! Asexual people can even have sex!

Yeah, I can see an argument for Luffy being asexual. Feels like there's something more there than the typical no time for romance character, given comments from Oda on Luffy's previous out of character reactions in Alabasta.

It's not confirmed, but we have to work with what we have since there's so much ignorance around asexuality.

Yes, being asexual does not stop someone from finding a partner or having a child.

I'd argue that Goku, Sesshomaru and Sasuke are good representatives of ace people having sex & children.

Although one could make a case that they're hetero but they're not horny people.

I still don't get the reason of this scene lol

sddefault.jpg

Kishimoto said that he did that to shock readers because he's never read the protagonist and rival kissing in a manga before.

Also he said he might as well get the joke out of the way of them needing to kiss.

I'd argue that characters like Sasuke, Goku and Sesshomaru are anime representatives of that.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Luffy is asexual

Yamato is a man

and Nami is a lesbian

Thank you for attending my ted talk

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'd argue that Goku, Sesshomaru and Sasuke are good representatives of ace people having sex & children.

Although one could make a case that they're hetero but they're not horny people.

Kishimoto said that he did that to shock readers because he's never read the protagonist and rival kissing in a manga before.

Also he said he might as well get the joke out of the way of them needing to kiss.

I'd argue that characters like Sasuke, Goku and Sesshomaru are anime representatives of that.

Sasuke is indeed one of the only Naruto characters that don't show any romantic/sexual interest (don't follow Boruto, only talking about the main series), never thought about that too

Luffy is asexual

Yamato is a man

and Nami is a lesbian

Thank you for attending my ted talk

applause.gif

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I've wondered if Gon is asexual, he certainly seems aromantic but its hard to tell with his "pure" wild child mindset. Sure he went on dates with older women but it seemed more like a transactional act rather than a potentially romantic/sexual thing. Though I suppose he does his hetero life mate in Killua.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Sasuke is indeed one of the only Naruto characters that don't show any romantic/sexual interest (don't follow Boruto, only talking about the main series), never thought about that too

applause.gif

Sasuke shows no sexual attraction to anyone but he shows romantic attraction at the end of Naruto once he's no longer an avatar of hatred

cd9ff9b5bd7a5185424b6c5bc9853225.jpg

At least, that's what this panel was meant to show.

Sasuke's likely asexual but not aromantic unlike Goku who is both.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno. I'm pretty sure Oda mentioned that he wanted to steer away from serious romance/sexuality. The "romance" is the adventure. The reason Luffy can resist Hancock's powers probably has more to do with his obliviousness/hyper focus on his other goals.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I did not watch the video due to concerns of manga spoilers, but my concern here is a community ascribing characteristics to a popular figure without explicit declaration of any particular status. They may be setting themselves up for disappointment when the author changes or develops the character in ways they may not like.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He got vivi, nami, boa hancock and nico robin.

Real talk. I dont know if he was really meant to be asexual.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I did not watch the video due to concerns of manga spoilers, but my concern here is a community ascribing characteristics to a popular figure without explicit declaration of any particular status. They may be setting themselves up for disappointment when the author changes or develops the character in ways they may not like.

It has some light spoilers to until Marineford arc, and some footage from Levely.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You should attend to some of the ted talks about Oda dropping clues of Nami and Luffy ending together...
I really don't see Oda having any of the strawhats end up in relationships with each other, regardless of any intent on sexuality for any of them. Oda's pretty repeatedly made it clear he doesn't have an interest in that

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I don't feel shonen anime in general are interested enough in issues pertaining to identity to make a statement about it either way.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bruh, after seeing the way Oda writes transgender characters, there's no way he intentionally wrote Luffy to be asexual. He's just the average shonen protag who's obsessed with his goal and doesn't care about anything that doesn't relate to it. That said I'm strongly of the opinion that your head canon is yours and you should cherish your interpretation. Just don't get heated if it doesn't pan out or Oda contradicts it later on.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the case of Luffy we have "proof" because he wasn't affected by Hancock's power.

Not sure about others, but Naruto and Ichigo aren't.

Always assumed that was just his Conqueror's Haki/will at work. Hmm.

It's cool people get this from him, of course, but I think he's just the typical shonen character who's largely uninterested in anything outside of his goal.

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
Bruh, after seeing the way Oda writes transgender characters, there's no way he intentionally wrote Luffy to be asexual. He's just the average shonen protag who's obsessed with his goal and doesn't care about anything that doesn't relate to it. That said I'm strongly of the opinion that your head canon is yours and you should cherish your interpretation. Just don't get heated if it doesn't pan out or Oda contradicts it later on.
I'm not saying that Luffy will end up asexual and I know that you Oda wrote some transgender characters badly before, but he has definitely changed that in this arc, I think we better judge him on his modern work rather than what he wrote 10 years ago.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I guess most shonen protagonists are asexual then

They are never confirmed by authors

I'm not saying that Luffy will end up asexual and I know that you Oda wrote some transgender characters badly before, but he has definitely changed that in this arc, I think we better judge him on his modern work rather than what he wrote 10 years ago.

Yeah, I really hope he doesn't mess with Yamato.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I've wondered if Gon is asexual, he certainly seems aromantic but its hard to tell with his "pure" wild child mindset. Sure he went on dates with older women but it seemed more like a transactional act rather than a potentially romantic/sexual thing. Though I suppose he does his hetero life mate in Killua.

This one is like....well he's still a child in every sense and its tragic when he's forced to prematurely grow up. Of course his going on dates with palm wasn't sexual because holy shit... even by anime standards that would be fucked.

BuddaMonk

Banned
Dec 26, 2020
User Banned (Permanently) : Trolling in a Sensitive Topic, Acephobia
I honestly dont think there is no better example of Ace representation
hqdefault.jpg

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Sanji has enough libido for the whole crew.
You have to counterbalance that. Luffy is great.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is actually true, even if it is not intentional. But I would caution against looking for representation in non-complete works by authors not known for representation.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I want Luffy to end up with Law but maybe I'm biased 🤭
Anyways yeah I always thought Luffy is ace, he never showed interest in sex even when he had the opportunity.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like wishful thinking. Luffy is shown to be attracted to women, he's just not as pervy as the other characters.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
sam-and-max-this-time-its-virtual-001.jpg

Max (left) seems pretty asexual, Chariot of the Dogs nonwithstanding (in which you go back in time, de-nerd him and suddenly he tries to flirt with a woman, that definitely doesn't stick into subsequent episodes so it's more of a one-time gag despite everything else in those games having continuity). He frequently gets reminded "Max, you don't even like women!" when he has some of his hare-brained ideas (which is all the time) and I don't think that's supposed to mean he's gay.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kiryu from Yakuza is basically ace right? They also try to depict him as so stoic he doesn't have time for a relationship, but you can't tell me that's the only intention there when you go on to eventually make yakuza like a dragon and can get ichi in a relationship even if it has no real effect to the story.