• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Just like when Games Workshop did it, I applaud them for trying, but it will take a lot more than that.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
They really don't have a leg to stand on when they tossed out Kelly Marie Tran at the behest of a bigoted fanbase, and did fuck all for Boyega.

The social media rep posting this is doing what they can and GOD do I not care to see those replies and QTs. But the company at large, no, absolutely no trust.

Disney caters to these racists all the time so GTFOH

Ingram noted that "Obi-Wan Kenobi" director Deborah Chow has been "putting the proper systems in place so I feel safe as we do the work" throughout production. "Of course, there are always pockets of hate," Ingram said. "But I have no problem with the block button."​

www.indiewire.com

Lucasfilm Warned ‘Obi-Wan’ Star Moses Ingram About Racist ‘Star Wars’ Hate: It Will ‘Likely Happen’

Lucasfilm discussed the racist hatred from fans that Moses Ingram might endure playing a villain in "Obi-Wan Kenobi," out May 27.

Under director Deborah Chow, they're talking a different approach based off Tran and Boyega's experiences.

The outright racism from Star Wars fans was unpredicted and unprecedented and the white people that lead that brand very much didn't know how to control that situation.

They were wrong for what they didn't do back then, but let's hope there been some lessons and learnings. Moses seems assured, at the very least.

Just like when Games Workshop did it, I applaud them for trying, but it will take a lot more than that.

They're really going to need a whole diversity and inclusion department that focuses solely on external messaging and mental well-being.

Let's hope they've put some plans into place.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never forget that LF/Disney conceded to the racists and gave Kelly Marie Tran like 10 seconds of scenes in The Rise of Skywalker after being a main character in the previous movie.

Disney, and to a lesser extent Lucasfilm, is a spineless performative company. I hope with gestures like this tweet we can see a change from that.
They still have a lot of work to do, but if nothing changed after TROS then they wouldn't have cast Ingram in a major role in a major SW show to begin with. Not to mention all the PoC in all the upcoming SW projects.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
They still have a lot of work to do, but if nothing changed after TROS then they wouldn't have cast Ingram in a major role in a major SW show to begin with. Not to mention all the PoC in all the upcoming SW projects.

It's not like they didn't before. The only difference is that for now they're sticking to their ground and backing Ingram, which is good. They just need to do a lot more to make me forget that the company can panic at any time and appeal to the assholes in order to make bank

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like they didn't before. The only difference is that for now they're sticking to their ground and backing Ingram, which is good. They just need to do a lot more to make me forget that the company can panic at any time and appeal to the assholes in order to make bank
Rose was a major character in TLJ and then was demoted to a 76-second cameo in TROS. I just think if they really continued in the TROS direction they would have straight up stopped casting PoC actors in main roles lol

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Disney and Lucasfilm will actually double down on the diversity now and have more prominent black characters that aren't covered in alien makeup or CGI.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
They really don't have a leg to stand on when they tossed out Kelly Marie Tran at the behest of a bigoted fanbase, and did fuck all for Boyega.

The social media rep posting this is doing what they can and GOD do I not care to see those replies and QTs. But the company at large, no, absolutely no trust.
The poor treatment of those two is a big reason my interest in Star Wars has cooled significantly.

Oct 28, 2017
as an outsider to star wars fandom looking in, it seems like one of the most toxic fanbases out there

It's the most horrible fanbase for a franchise that I've grown up and loved dearly since the very beginning in 1977. Do not engage these people and just try to avoid them. Especially the YouTubers. They just make shit up for views and give the absolute worst takes and nutty theories you can imagine. No amount of craziness is off limits.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
"I'm not racist I'm just critiquing her performance" from the same fans lionizing Hayden in the prequels… you aren't slick 😤

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Gina Carano is a fucking hilarious example because these same chuds that love her now HATED HER when she first showed up.

"UHM EXCUSE ME BUT HOW CAN A WAHMAN HEADBUTT THE MANDALORIAN WHEN HIS HELMET IS BLAH BLAH BLAH."

*Reveals herself to be Q-Anon*

"I WOULD DIE FOR YOU QUEEN!"

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine if you don't like the character but how hard is it to not be discriminatory towards the actor? Like holy shit, the fact that the company has to put a statement out like this is fucking insane. The Star Wars fandom needs to be thrown in the dumpster.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Gina Carano is a fucking hilarious example because these same chuds that love her now HATED HER when she first showed up.

"UHM EXCUSE ME BUT HOW CAN A WAHMAN HEADBUTT THE MANDALORIAN WHEN HIS HELMET IS BLAH BLAH BLAH."

*Reveals herself to be Q-Anon*

"I WOULD DIE FOR YOU QUEEN!"
Yuuuup, when Mandalorian started she had the same barrage of the all-too-familiar Mary Sue youtube videos about overshadowing Mando. Start throwing out some transphobia, antisemitism, and Trumpist election conspiracies and now they worship her and I'm literally seeing them complain about Disney not defending her from the attacks they hurled.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't this fanbase just be fuckin' normal?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not racist I'm just critiquing her performance" from the same fans lionizing Hayden in the prequels… you aren't slick 😤

Hey now, those are the "fans" that spent decades talking about how Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen ruined their childhoods. These dickheads never realized Hayden's greatness in the first place

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I mean yeah the Star Wars fandom is pretty bad. Ring Wing Watch posted this video today about someone going off on the character from the show.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already saw a Star Woke comment by a blonde white dude wearing tinted sunglasses. I think it's time for me to blacklist Twitter

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Has Star Wars fan always been racist, or just modern fans? Because I'm pretty sure everyone knows Vader is voiced by a black guy yeah? And Lando is the coolest? And Mace Windu with that purple lightsaber?

Pretty embarrassing for the fan base to be called out by the official Twitter to stop doing racist. Do better.

Fanbases have always had their terrible elements but have become more extreme and entrenched in their views over time, far more easily able to communicate their views over social media, influence countless others, and form like-minded communities around this shit that are near to impossible to kill. It's an entire cottage industry on youtube.

One of their most common arguments that they aren't misogynistic pigs is that they like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 1/2, movies that came out 30+ years ago and had it come out today, they'd be screeching about the strong woman who can take on scary Terminators.

Another favorite example of theirs is the Alien flicks with Sigourney, also at this point decades-old and not under the microscope of garbage youtubers who tell impressionable morons what to think. Ask them to name anything from the last 10 years and it's all "woke nonsense" because a woman or minority (or god forbid both) simply exists.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Same chuds whining about a black woman in Star Wars are the same ones whining about humanizing Tuskens and demonsterfying Rancors. They don't care about the aliens anymore than they care about other races or genders than their own.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Fanbases have always had their terrible elements but have become more extreme and entrenched in their views over time, far more easily able to communicate their views over social media, influence countless others, and form like-minded communities around this shit that are near to impossible to kill. It's an entire cottage industry on youtube.

One of their most common arguments that they aren't misogynistic pigs is that they like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 1/2, movies that came out 30+ years ago and had it come out today, they'd be screeching about the strong woman who can take on scary Terminators.

Another favorite example of theirs is the Alien flicks with Sigourney, also at this point decades-old and not under the microscope of garbage youtubers who tell impressionable morons what to think. Ask them to name anything from the last 10 years and it's all "woke nonsense" because a woman or minority (or god forbid both) simply exists.
Yeap, they cite old examples they welcomed at an age before culture wars rotted their brains. Before developing their like-minded communities that all enable each other's outrage in politicizing any character who isn't a cishet white male.

Watching any media with my anti-woke brother these is just an absolute minefield for him to get triggered by anything he perceives as progressive and whine about it.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just gotta keep this tone going forward. Make it clear, there's no room or discussion with racists.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how many stories we've already heard of actors and writers already turning down SW so as to not have to deal with the fandom, I wonder how things will look like in a decade...

Antoo

May 1, 2019
good to see lucasfilm fully backing their actors and learning from their mistakes in the past

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, another Star Wars release, another cycle of it's toxic, cancerous 'fan base' absolutely sucking all of the joy out of any meaningful discussions about it with racism.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
Live look at Star Wars fans who just absolutely need to tell you how much they don't like the character or her acting despite no one asking or it being relevant in the face of a real human being receiving racist hate:

n08A8NO.jpg

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
This is why i never admit to liking/watching/ or even know star wars in my real life. Even though I have been a fan all my life and have a closet full of star wars junk lol. It is overall far too gross and toxic to be attached to these days.
At times I feel the same for gaming too.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on, I've been checked out for a few days but things got so bad that they had to put out a statement because… there is a black woman in Star Wars content?

The ever living fuck? Fan culture and the racists that use it for cover is sick.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread title update is a bit funky, it makes it sound like Lucasfilm was talking to Ewan initially lol

But good on Ewan for issuing a statement!

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Still can't believe JJ Abrams said Kelly Marie Tran was the best part of TLJ, then gave her 1 minute of screen time. What a dick move.

Don't forget the part where he instead created a new character to hang out in the command center where Tran was relegated to for a buddy of his (Dominic Monaghan, who I like but still) because Abrams lost a soccer bet.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
I'm afraid to ask but... is it true? About a stupid bet?

comicbook.com

Star Wars Fans Furious JJ Abrams Gave Role to Dominic Monaghan Over a Soccer Bet

Much has been made of the presence, or lack thereof, of Kelly Marie Tran’s Rose Tico in Star [...]

Reading Terrio's response is irritating. It makes no sense. They wanted Rose to be with Leia, but they had a hard time using Leia (because of Fisher's death) so that meant... they couldn't really use Rose. But Fisher died during the filming of The Last Jedi: they knew she wasn't available, it's not like it was sprung on them all of a sudden. And like, why couldn't they have had her also do things *without* Leia?

Sorry for the minor derail here, friends. Good on Ewan for calling this bullshit out.

Last edited: