• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Has Star Wars fan always been racist, or just modern fans? Because I'm pretty sure everyone knows Vader is voiced by a black guy yeah? And Lando is the coolest? And Mace Windu with that purple lightsaber?

Pretty embarrassing for the fan base to be called out by the official Twitter to stop doing racist. Do better.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Has Star Wars fan always been racist, or just modern fans? Because I'm pretty sure everyone knows Vader is voiced by a black guy yeah? And Lando is the coolest? And Mace Windu with that purple lightsaber?

Pretty embarrassing for the fan base to be called out by the official Twitter to stop doing racist. Do better.

Star Wars is racist itself. Jar Jar was a minstrel show and Warri was a literal Jewish racist stereotype. That's not even all the examples. The fandom is just following suit at this point.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really don't have a leg to stand on when they tossed out Kelly Marie Tran at the behest of a bigoted fanbase, and did fuck all for Boyega.

The social media rep posting this is doing what they can and GOD do I not care to see those replies and QTs. But the company at large, no, absolutely no trust.
Your right, they should say nothing and let the racism continue. /s

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

My thoughts are that the toxic early internet edgelord fandom from the prequel era kinda fertilized the ground, and then the GamerGate crowd latched onto the "Rey is a Mary Sue" stuff which fed the men's rights shitlords that got easy clicks from Star Wars hate videos... and then MAGA picked it up from there and now the Great Replacement is happening in a galaxy far far away too

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a combination of racism and sexism IMO

Lando and Mace reception was somewhat counterbalanced by them being very tough and masculine. As for Vader's voice, I bet some people back in the day had no idea it wasn't the voice of the guy in the suit lol

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts are that the toxic early internet edgelord fandom from the prequel era kinda fertilized the ground, and then the GamerGate crowd latched onto the "Rey is a Mary Sue" stuff which fed the men's rights shitlords that got easy clicks from Star Wars hate videos... and then MAGA picked it up from there and now the Great Replacement is happening in a galaxy far far away too
Very good point

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

As a brown kid who grew up around Star Wars fans and fan circles, yes. There have always been racist SW fans, as with any other fan circles around genre fiction. Whether invited by the text or not. Hunger Games fans literally posted how they were "not actually that sad" when a 12 year old black girl dies in the film adaptation because they read her as white in the book.

But Star Wars specifically gets centered in this fucking right wing culture war that Lucasfilm apparently told the actress up front when she got the job "heyyy sooo... you're probably going to get a lot more messages like this..."

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it is in itself kind of racist to equate people of color with a species of alien although I am glad they are taking a stand.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
This is just a bummer all around that this even needs to be stated preemptively, but sadly it does.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Disney is bringing POLITICS INTO STAR WARS

LUCAS WOULD NEVER BRING POLITICS INTO STAR WARS

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Moses Ingram posted some of the racist messages she has been receiving in her Instagram story and it is depressing. Fuck racists and this toxic ass fanbase.

Edit - Going through the twitter posted in the OP, somebody posted the racist messages she has gotten:

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
The fuck? Not surprising that racists are at it in Star Wars fandoms yet again but this is catching me completely off-guard since Reva's great, and the first 2 episodes absolutely got me interested in her story. Same goes for the communities I've discussed Reva in, she's certainly a highlight.

I see complaints that they want "an Obi-Wan show" suggesting she was present too much and I'm just fucking baffled, what? How the hell do people think we've been lacking Obi-Wan, let alone blaming it on Reva? If anything Leia's only one that's taking a significant piece of time to herself.

Jesus Christ there's absolutely no excuse for the visceral rage I'm seeing from these people and the ones who defend it as "we're allowed to hate a character!" are utter nonsense when not that much has even happened beyond setup. Of course though the people who are defending it always keep dipping into racist shit when pressed because there's really not much there to even hate leaving only one path to really go to.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same fanbase that bullied a child until they drove him crazy. The same fanbase that bullied an actor until he seriously contemplated suicide.

These people have been on Moses since before they saw an episode.

It's funny these people say they'll never watch SW content again but they always do. Simply to make video and money off of this.

I wish their videos could be taken down for spreading hate.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
She's easily the best part of the show so far. Hardcore Star Wars fans are the fucking worst as always.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I'll say after being at Celebration this past weekend, I saw the best in the fandom who were supportive and positive for everything and everyone there. There was no sign of this anywhere.

Fuck the racist keyboard warriors.

Same. When I went to celebration years ago it was all supportive, non stop love for the everyone involved and everyone enjoying themselves. This toxic shit comes from assholes online.

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
What's funny in a sad way is none of this is new. George got complaint's in '77 that it was sad the only black guy in the film was just a voice. George's response was to make sure to get a good black actor in the next one.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
This is the same fanbase that bullied a child until they drove him crazy. The same fanbase that bullied an actor until he seriously contemplated suicide.

Wasn't that his classmates teasing him? I doubt he was looking at online comments back then. But you are right about the actor who portrayed Jar Jar afaik

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021

I love stuff like this because it's making leftists's points for us. Yes, corporations do not give a single shit about any of us and would gladly throw us under the bus for cash. It's like that Bethesda image I've seen of all the Bethesda twitter accounts having a rainbow background but not the ones in countries where LGBT isn't socially accepted. They think its some type of refutation to progressive ideals.

Yeah nobody is under the illusion that corps push progressive ideals to us out of the goodness of their hearts they only pretend to be progressive because its finacially beneficial to them. If Trump got relected and the tides changed Disney would be out here spouting bigoted bullshit if it made them money.

We still got a lot of work to do.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It's like nothing changed or improved since the shit that happened to Kelly Marie Tran. Awful. :(

Oct 25, 2017
No idea why a franchise like Star Wars, that had always a major influence from Black actors, like the great James Earl Jones (whose voice alone pretty much carries the OT) and the brilliant Billy Dee Williams, is attract racist bigots. Same bullshit with Fin and John Boyega.
It's a problem with "geek culture" because as much as some creators have preached tolerance and acceptance in their work some fans only care how their characters look

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
unless you're a sentient droid then, i guess you're property and you just gotta deal with that even if you dont want to?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It's like nothing changed or improved since the shit that happened to Kelly Marie Tran. Awful. :(

Never forget that LF/Disney conceded to the racists and gave Kelly Marie Tran like 10 seconds of scenes in The Rise of Skywalker after being a main character in the previous movie.

Disney, and to a lesser extent Lucasfilm, is a spineless performative company. I hope with gestures like this tweet we can see a change from that.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Social media is anything but social. It's past the point of being a joke now, turn them off. Fuck comments and direct messaging. No one other than people you know needs to hear from you. Take your garbage takes, shitty comments, racist, sexist or anything ignorant and shove em.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
No idea why a franchise like Star Wars, that had always a major influence from Black actors, like the great James Earl Jones (whose voice alone pretty much carries the OT) and the brilliant Billy Dee Williams, is attract racist bigots. Same bullshit with Fin and John Boyega.
Because the series doesn't want to directly address the white supremacist themes of the Empire or First Order, just dance around them

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
like im not trying to ignore the hate moses ingram is getting, but its weird for The Brand to say this when they have a pretty extensive history of racist depictions in the movies, shows, other expanded material and then also have no idea how to deal with the droids as slaves metaphor that has been brought up in the movies

i feel bad for moses ingram though, absolutely not deserved

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy Star Wars, but I always have to temper my excitement for things knowing how bitter and evil the fanbase can be. I'm not at all surprised at how despicable a number of these SW fans are with Moses Ingram and her character, this fanbase has continually shown its ass time and time again when POCs come into the mix. I fully understand that there are amazing folks within the community that aren't at all like this, but i have a problem with how much of the community is so openly and outwardly racist and hateful like this. It's a large problem.

Anyway, Moses Ingram is great. I don't care how her character turns out plotwise, SHE'S doing an amazing job in the role and fuck anyone that says otherwise.