• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is he created anakin from your pov?

• Yeah.

Votes: 157 51.5%
  • No.

Votes: 84 27.5%
  • Maybe?.

Votes: 64 21.0%

• Total voters

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
awT3lKe.jpg

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Well, in a scene in an actual movie, made by George Lucas himself, we're explicitly told that Palpatine is Anakin's father, so this comic is meaningless.

I'm sorry that everyone involved in TRoS' production forgot, and thus put weird incest in their movie.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Well, in a scene in an actual movie, made by George Lucas himself, we're explicitly told that Palpatine is Anakin's father, so this comic is meaningless.

I'm sorry that everyone involved in TRoS' production forgot, and thus put weird incest in their movie.

It's in fact the opposite of explicit in RotS, it's implied by Palpatine. He says, "Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life. [...] He taught his apprentice everything he knew." No where in that dialogue does Palpatine say he created Anakin. An earlier script draft doesn't count either.

also how padme dies immediately after Anakin turns dark, but Anakin is like "oh well, fuck it" and remains dark decades slaughtering people.

As Yoda says: "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice". The Dark Side takes over when you submit to it, and as far as Yoda and Obi-Wan are concerned there is no coming back. It's kind of the whole point of the lesson he is teaching Luke at the time, you know "Beware of the Dark Side".

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As Yoda says: "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice". The Dark Side takes over when you submit to it, and as far as Yoda and Obi-Wan are concerned there is no coming back. It's kind of the whole point of the lesson he is teaching Luke at the time, you know "Beware of the Dark Side".

these are the same people that warn that "only a sith deals in absolutes"??

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Unless Palpatine went down and knocked up Shmi physically, it's not incest. I always got the idea that either Plagueis was the one that created Anakin before he died, or Palpatine did influence the force but wouldn't know where the result would show up, and just assumed that someone super powerful with the Force would turn up sooner or later.

It's also why the take that Rise is bad and invalidates ROTJ because the Palpatine bloodline won over the Skywalker bloodline is wrong, because there ISN'T a Skywalker bloodline past Shmi. Anakin was created by Palpatine, Shmi was just the host. If not for Palpatine, Shmi has no children. Palpatine created his own downfall in Anakin, and in a more roundabout way Rey, but ultimately they both owe their existence to Sheev.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The explaination that's been around for years is the Force created Anakin ... as a response to Sheev/Plagueis dicking around.

I think that works very well.

It's ironic that they get done in by trying to screw around with the Force.

I like the idea that the Sith think they can manipulate life, but they have it all wrong ... they're spirtually bankrupt, and the person who actually finds the power they were lusting after is Qui-Gon ... but he does so through the light side of the Force.

That stuff is great messaging. But of course they've been taking a wet dump on all of the good themes Star Wars once had lately.

The only issue there is that young Anakin shows up as a Force ghost at the end of ROTJ. Not only would he never have been able to learn the secret, but even if you get to be a Force ghost without knowing it and being a Jedi, wouldn't it not really be a secret? I suppose they could throw in a dead Obi-Wan counciling Vader to turn and become a Jedi again, would be kinda messy though

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only issue there is that young Anakin shows up as a Force ghost at the end of ROTJ. Not only would he never have been able to learn the secret, but even if you get to be a Force ghost without knowing it and being a Jedi, wouldn't it not really be a secret?

So in Lucas's original script for ROTJ, he says that Obi-Wan and Yoda somehow saved Anakin's soul, or something, when he died and that's why he was able to become a ghost.

Obviously this isn't necessarily canon since it's never mentioned anywhere, but it makes sense to me.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
User warned: hostility
What? They confirmed this months ago
Does tweet in the OP say December 23 2019 or not jackass

"wHaT?" like we're all up to date on things the story group has or has not said & assuming this was recent is not a reasonable conclusion to make based on the information in the op. Spare me.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So in Lucas's original script for ROTJ, he says that Obi-Wan and Yoda somehow saved Anakin's soul, or something, when he died and that's why he was able to become a ghost.

Obviously this isn't necessarily canon since it's never mentioned anywhere, but it makes sense to me.

Yeah that works if it's more like a heaven scenario, but I think it was kinda retconned into the prequels how being a Force ghost was actually one of the biggest mysteries of the galaxy and nobody actually knew how to do it until Qui-gon figured it out. They had to explicitly teach Vader the secret, which is kinda iffy

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_inline_piiobjEpfM1r4eyz7_1280.png

From the original draft of Revenge of the Sith. Lucas was originally going to be really explicit that Sheev created Anakin, instead he decided to handle it more subtly. But the implication is clear all the same.

I don't get why people always post original drafts as if they prove anything other than the original idea. If they weren't used they aren't canon

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Posting an early draft of the RotS script to try and prove something is kind of disingenuous. It wasn't used for a reason.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The better (what should be canon) explaination is this:

Sheev and Plagueis were screwing around with the Force trying to find immortality

They tried to manipulate it to create a "chosen one" all powerful type.

The Force reacts by creating Anakin, willed into existence, who's destiny is to kill Sheev and stop his fuckery.

Qui-Gon actually finds the key to immortality through the light side of the Force.

But Sheev lies about all this ... he tries to make Anakin think he created him (he didn't) and that he knows the secret to immortality (he doesn't).

The Dark Side is bankrupt in these areas, Anakin was being played.

Yep I actually always liked this idea...the only part of that book I didn't like was the hamfisted retcon of Plagueis being present in TPM observing but never seen.
It does track with TROS if you think of Anakin being used as a host body but until he was mangled by Obi-Wan and force healed by Sheeve and when that failed, Palps tried to goad Luke into striking him down, and ultimately Rey. It also tracks with Snoke/Sheeve targeting Ben because they couldn't locate Rey and her being light side as a reaction: now presumably she is all the sith and all the Jedi?

Last edited:

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Anakin is Jesus, his mom is the Virgin Mary and Palpatine/midiclorians are God (depending on the episode aka New vs Old Testement)

Lucas isn't a subtle man

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
It's in fact the opposite of explicit in RotS, it's implied by Palpatine. He says, "Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life. [...] He taught his apprentice everything he knew." No where in that dialogue does Palpatine say he created Anakin. An earlier script draft doesn't count either.
He says that to a character born of an immaculate conception, while they watch a performance that is a visual allegory for a sperm fertilizing an egg.

That's explicit.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
this franchise just needs to hit the snooze button for 5 years and come back after its sobered up. jesus christ.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Lets be honest the reason for the backtrack comes from Disney because if this is canon that would make

that Reylo kiss kinda incest from a certain point of view. I know its SW tradition but its Disney now.

They're step cousins, though. Luke is essentially her step father, which is why she adopted his last name. Abrams was so obsessed with copying the original trilogy that he copied the incest kiss too.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
He says that to a character born of an immaculate conception, while they watch a performance that is a visual allegory for a sperm fertilizing an egg.

That's explicit.
No.. this is not explicit. At least, it absolutely has nothing explicit about Palpatine creating Anakin. The visual allegory is for the creation of life. I think you are letting the previous version of the script and non-canon material dictate your interpretation.

It doesn't matter what is in the script. What actually is Canon is what is show on the movie. Besides that, only statement from the creator (s).

Besides, I think it's more interesting Anakin being a genuine Chosen One, created by the Force alone, only to have him bring seized by Palpatine.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
It wouldn't? Even if Sheev manipulated and made DNA out of nothing, it wouldn't be his own DNA, necessarily. So there wouldn't be a genetic relationship between him and Vader, and thus none between Kylo and Rey
i was gonna be all like um excuse me theyre all aliens how do we even know they have dna

but wookiepedia says otherwise! thanks wookiepedia

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I don't get why people always post original drafts as if they prove anything other than the original idea. If they weren't used they aren't canon

Did you not read the rest of my post? Lucas was originally going to explicitly reveal Palpatine created Anakin, instead he handled it with some subtlety. Between the dialogue and visual symbolism it's fairly obvious what his intentions are for that scene. It becomes even more obvious when you read what Lucas was initially going for.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm giving Lucas too much credit but despite his original intention for that scene in Ep III, it seems clear he decided to backtrack on the reveal of having Palp create Anakin instead of it being the will of the Force reacting to the imbalance Palp brought because it's just too contradictory as to what was clearly stated about Anakin's origin in TPM and creates too many plot holes that would also make Palp look dumb and incompetent as Hella pointed out.

One of the guys who green lit
Nazi incest
backtracking because he forgot lore
🤢e he tweeted he had nothing to do with Ros but he a story team member

Who greenlit what now?? Don't understand that spoiler bit.

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I preferred thinking Plagueis created him but couldn't raise him because he was killed by Palpatine.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
i was gonna be all like um excuse me theyre all aliens how do we even know they have dna
I guess there's no need for alien species to use deoxyribonucleic acids to store genetic information, but any advanced form of life needs to store this information somehow, and pass it on. So even if wouldn't be DNA, it would still be some chemical compound serving a similar function. Life without genes, let alone advanced life forms without some genetic makeup, would be essentially unregonizable to us as any form of life.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
No.. this is not explicit. At least, it absolutely has nothing explicit about Palpatine creating Anakin. The visual allegory is for the creation of life. I think you are letting the previous version of the script and non-canon material dictate your interpretation.

It doesn't matter what is in the script. What actually is Canon is what is show on the movie. Besides that, only statement from the creator (s).

Besides, I think it's more interesting Anakin being a genuine Chosen One, created by the Force alone, only to have him bring seized by Palpatine.
I've never read any previous versions of the script nor am I referencing any EU material, *you're* the one referencing fan fiction.

The play *is* an allegory for the creation of life: Anakin's life. Anakin was born of immaculate conception, Palaptine tells him "I can create life, you know". Palpatine is explicitly telling Anakin that he created him. You have to twist yourself into an insane knot to interpret that scene any other way.

I dont care what some comic book says, the movie George Lucas made says Palpatine is Anakin's father.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I guess there's no need for alien species to use deoxyribonucleic acids to store genetic information, but any advanced form of life needs to store this information somehow, and pass it on. So even if wouldn't be DNA, it would still be some chemical compound serving a similar function
yeah that's what my initial post was going to be 'well actually'ing but nope they have normal dna apparently

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't deconfirm it they just said that wasn't the intention

So it's still ambiguous

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Because Palpatine would totally not lie, lol.

In the final draft, Palpatine never explicitly tells Anakin that he created him. Instead he says something about how people are able to to influence midichlorians to create life while some visual storytelling goes on in the background. Now I highly doubt Anakin noticed the sperm and the egg, and I don't think he walked away from this conversation thinking Palpatine was his father. This implication of Palpatine creating Anakin is for the audience and not for Anakin anymore. Now ask yourself why Lucas needs to lie to the audience about Anakin's birth. It may not fit your headcanon but Lucas' intent should be pretty clear.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Lucas canon Palpatine is the father

Disney canon Darth Plageuis is the father and Palpatine decided to manipulate Anakin for his cause

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Nerds in here arguing to uphold the appearance of ambiguity in a fictional work where a draft was already more explicit in regards to the authors intent are making my brain hurt.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
I don't understand how a draft of a script that WASN'T used (I would call that author's intent) is being used as "proof" that an idea from a rough draft (that again WASN'T used) is canon.

Also if it were canon (it clearly isn't) it still wouldn't be incest. Influencing midichlorians to make life isn't the same as providing your DNA. Anakin wasn't a Palpatine.

It doesn't matter what "environmental storytelling" is going on in the background of a scene where Sidious is telling Anakin what he needs to hear in order to do what Sidious wants. If anything if we are going to confirm canon based on a show going on in the background PLAGUEIS is the one Palpatine was talking about during the whole thing. Palpatine later says he can't do it and needs Anakin's help. (Which could even be a lie! It should be clear how unreliable a narrator Sidious is!)

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
My least favorite thing about Star Wars is the fact that someone decided decades after the movies that Darth Vader was born of a Virgin Mother like some Messiah, and the whole chosen one thing.

Why can't he just have been a really badass jedi? Why all this weird shit
I like the prequels more than most and this is by far the worst part about them.

Nov 1, 2017
I still prefer the Plagueis, Palpatine's Master actually created Anakin through experiments in the Force. Not that he knew that he realized what he did at the time, thinking it was a failure. The Force like everything does not like when someone tries to manipulate or control it.

Oct 26, 2017
Lucas chose to make it ambiguous and it's better that way.
Agreed. These lines being removed doesn't mean Lucas did a 180 on the idea. He correctly decided to not slap you in the face with it as hard as he did his other ideas. And yet there are so many questions about Anakin's birth that maybe George should've just been blunt about it.

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. These lines being removed doesn't mean Lucas did a 180 on the idea. He correctly decided to not slap you in the face with it as hard as he did his other ideas. And yet there are so many questions about Anakin's birth that maybe George should've just been blunt about it.
If he filmed it as written it would be too on the nose as an "I am your father" reveal. It would be so clunky.