• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Was pretty much already playing Division 2 as a create-your-own-bounty-hunter game anyway...
AxJtqPH.jpg

In all honesty, if that's what Massive does, an open world game with Division-like mechanics/builds/loot, and is able to step away from the ugly politics of Tom Clancy for more fantasy-driven lore, I'm super down.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that more developers are getting a crack at the Star Wars license. When they were pumping out Star Wars games in the the 2000s there were plenty of bad ones but there were also enough good ones that you could just ignore them.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's good that more developers are getting a crack at the Star Wars license. When they were pumping out Star Wars games in the the 2000s there were plenty of bad ones but there were also enough good ones that you could just ignore them.
Exactly.
With EA in charge, it basically became throwaway F2P Mobile stuff and EA's barebones offering. Even the Lego ones have been sparse, too.

I get the feeling that Disney imagined (And EA pitched) a bunch of Star Wars games across all genres and they never followed through.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ea made 2 battlefronts that were ok, faller order which was good and squadrons which was also good.

however with not being exclusive we will get more varied games. fallen order sequel will be coming as well as the open world ubisoft game and whatever else Disney will reveal later. not being exclusive to ea is good.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm ready for Anakin's Creed, gotta climb the tower on the Jedi Temple to find the younglings.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
division 1 was really fun, massive definitely have proven they can handle making an open world game feel good

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Was pretty much already playing Division 2 as a create-your-own-bounty-hunter game anyway...
AxJtqPH.jpg

In all honesty, if that's what Massive does, an open world game with Division-like mechanics/builds/loot, and is able to step away from the ugly politics of Tom Clancy for more fantasy-driven lore, I'm super down.
This is actually what I'm hoping for

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could fuck with an open world Star Wars game even if its very formulaic just having an open world star wars game to run around in seems like it could be a fun distraction for awhile.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Ironic, my friend and I were talking the other day about how cool an open world Star Wars could be, and Ubisoft would be a great studio, considering most of their games are open world titles.

Also, with Ubisoft working on their games 24/7 and having massive budgets, even if I am burnout out of Ubisoft open worlds...I would be behind this. A story driven space adventure and light saber combat could be extremely cool.

I haven't played Jedi Fallen Order yet, (Shame, I love Respawn), and at this point I am waiting for it to hit cheap on PSN for like $10. This announcement has me excited, even though the game is probably a few years away. Jedi Fallen Order 2 is probably under wraps in development right now, so we should be getting some good Star Wars games in the future. I wonder if EA has plans to do a next gen, crossplay Battlefront III?

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Glad to see Disney putting that Star Wars license to good use in gaming after that EA debacle with BF2. Would be nice to see them give a license to Bethesda for them to make an Old Republic RPG; potential bugs aside, the modding support they allow would be amazing.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yo Ubi, how about a R6 inspired SW game?
latest

These motherfuckers are just waiting to get more usage.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does this mean we could theoretically get a naughty dog made 1313 revival? (It basically basically looked like space uncharted anyway)

I'm definitely expecting to see some platform exclusive announcements though. Disney will surely be eyeing up Sony to make something in the star wars universe after the success of Spider-Man?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Massive has a really bad streak with Tom Clancy games, so I worry that their Star Wars game will also be a right-winged take on the universe.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Massive has a really bad streak with Tom Clancy games, so I worry that their Star Wars game will also be a right-winged take on the universe.
a right-winged take on the universe.
As opposed to....?

EDIT: Oh I see what you mean.

It's just that like, yeah the Division games are pretty bad but so has been every other recent Tom Clancy game starting with Blacklist back in 2013. :v

Like any Ubisoft game is going be rolling the dice here.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually hope this is a Mandolorian game.

Massive has some good shooter mechanics in Division 2, but the "modern military" aesthetic of Tom Clancy never appealed to me.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I welcome a publisher-agnostic future for Star Wars with open arms. There's no reason at all for the property to be tied down like that.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
It's good to spread it to more publishers and studios. Making games is a slow process these days. Hopefully EA or someone else gets to keep iterating on Squadrons though. That one is great in a genre that has been lacking.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a game where we can actually play those adventures Anakin and Obi-Wan supposedly had lmao. Im down.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
It'll be some time, but it will be pretty rad to get a nice bunch of Star Wars games in a few years. Though with longer development times and cost, I'm sure there will be fewer of them than the huge amount in the early 2000s. So, let's hope most are quality!

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
Super glad to see that EA doesn't have the monopoly hold on the IP anymore. I enjoyed what I played of Battlefront 2 and Fallen Order, hell I even enjoyed Galaxy of Heroes and still haven't played any of Squadrons but it always seemed to just limit creativity to the series to only allow them to make games. Looking forward to this for sure.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: KOTOR remake or a spiritual sequel set in the High Republic made by FROMSOFT (Or a RPG Japanese studio).

All the games are very early, that just means they won't release before 2023.
And the deal has hole in it because Lego Star Wars isn't handle by an EA division.
I read that deal as EA gets exclusivity for AAA SW games. So until 2023 no other AAA SW game can be released not published by EA.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I'm sure it won't be TOO much like BotW, don't worry

Not even two months after Immortals was released and praised for aping BotW, rather than being set on a bloated map, filled with useless icons that had become the Ubisoft norm.

Ubisoft's go to template is a valid criticism of their output, and I feel those who don't like that template are fine to worry about what this means for an open-world Star Wars game from them.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Not even two months after Immortals was released and praised for aping BotW, rather than being set on a bloated map, filled with useless icons that had become the Ubisoft norm.

Ubisoft's go to template is a valid criticism of their output, and I feel those who don't like that template are fine to worry about what this means for an open-world Star Wars game from them.
Exactly. Some of those are the very criticisms I had with Immortals.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
If it's a fairly bland Ubisoft open world but still a AAA single player Star Wars game, I'm in.

If it's a GAAS looter I'm hard out.

Nov 8, 2017
Lmao, but that shit clearly isn't getting renewed. The ball has been dropped.

I would caution against leaning into preconceived notions like that - it's also equally likely the cost of renewal was very high (original deal was allegedly quite good) and EA did not consider it worthwhile to continue it. Note nobody else is getting an exclusive deal either.

Oct 26, 2017
My concern too.

SWTOR's story quality with Division's gameplay would be awesome. Division's story quality with SWTOR's gameplay would be a monstrosity.
I hope they make some actual meaningful roles you can be instead of just calling you a "Rebel" and making you go on shooting missions. I want options like soldier, pilot, force user, smuggler, bounty hunter, etc.