• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
games_lucasgames.jpg

Today, Lucasfilm Games announced that it's entering a partnership with Ubisoft to create an open-world Star Wars game. The title will be developed by Ubisoft's Massive Entertainment, marking the first time that a company outside of EA has produced a Star Wars game since Disney acquired Lucasfilm in 2012, ending nearly eight years of exclusivity. Also in the works is a new Indiana Jones game, to be developed by Bethesda Game Studios, a newcomer to Lucasfilm's and Disney's properties.

Let's start with Star Wars. Development on this new title is still very early—Massive is still recruiting for the project even—so details are sparse. Julian Gerighty, director of The Division 2 and The Crew, will serve as the game's creative director, and the title will use Massive's Snowdrop engine. Beyond that, Lucasfilm Games hasn't revealed anything about the characters or settings within the Star Wars universe that the game will feature.

This announcement follows yesterday's news that Lucasfilm is partnering with Bethesda to create an Indiana Jones title, the first non-Star Wars AAA game out of Lucasfilm in years. The move marks a seismic shift for Lucasfilm's approach to gaming, widening the tent for developers that want to create games using Lucasfilm franchises, particularly in the Star Wars universe.

While EA had previously suggested that the company would have exclusivity on Star Wars games for 10 years, it seems like either that was misstated or the clock has run out early. (Lucasfilm would not confirm for WIRED either way.) Regardless, EA will keep making games in the future, but Lucasfilm Games is free to seek other partners.

"EA has been and will continue to be a very strategic and important partner for us now and going forward," Sean Shoptaw, senior vice president of Global Games and Interactive Experiences at Disney, told WIRED. "But we did feel like there's room for others."

www.wired.com

Lucasfilm Games' New Partnerships Mean the Galaxy's the Limit

The Disney-owned company just announced a new Star Wars title coming from Ubisoft and an Indiana Jones game from Bethesda. And that's just the beginning.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Damn! They got it out of EA's hands. That's crazy! Looking forward to a first trailer sometime soon I hope!

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft + "Julian Gerighty, director of The Division 2 and The Crew, will serve as the game's creative director"

😬

hard out.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
an open-world Star Wars game

Oh yeah finally !!
Please be good, even if first infos are not what I expected (Julian Gerighty, director of The Division 2 and The Crew, will serve as the game's creative director)

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Finally tbh. EA can keep working on some of the succesful series (Jedi, Battlefront if they feel like it), but at least we'll get more devs now, which is good considering how dissapointing EA's output has been.

Interesting to see Massive Entertaining tackling on two third party IPs (Avatar and SW) for Ubisoft. I'm honestly really curious to see what they'll do.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
If it's The Division, but just shooting endless waves of Stormtroopers I'm good with that.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars finally free of EA, that's great.

Looks like Lucasfilm Games is pulling a Marvel Games.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
This is possibly the best course of action when it comes to licensed games where multiple parties can have cracks at different IP instead of one singular publisher hogging the rights. We have Marvel to thank for this.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I cant wait to climb 20 towers on each planet to scan the whole galaxy

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
As long as Fallen Order continues I'm good with expanding the partners that Disney uses.

This is what you get for cancelling Uncharted Star Wars, EA.

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Hopefully this is a standard single-player game and not Division-esque. Interested how long this will take to come out in comparison to the Avatar game

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they got out of the EA contract early. With that said, at least EA finished strong after wasting most of the time they had it.

Hopefully it's not just a typical Ubisoft game with a Star Wars skin. But I still remain hopefully it could be something neat.

Edit: Ah I didn't think this game is most likely releasing after the EA contract expires.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ubisoft? Can't say I'm excited, but we'll see. Also, I suppose the fact that the game would release in like 3 years or so is what allows them to be working on it, circumventing the 10 years EA talked about (I know the article mentions EA didn't reply about that).

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Fuck, I'm really not a fan of how Ubisoft's open world plays and Fallen Order was one of my favorite games this gen. That bums me out.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this will come out after the EA deal expires, so they can announce it in the meantime. It's definitely a loud statement that the EA deal will not be renewed. Which is great, assuming that we can get a Fallen Order sequel from EA as well as games from Massive and others.

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
Considering EA's (lack of) output with Star Wars I'm happy that its being shopped around a bit more to other interested devs.

Oct 27, 2017
Massive Entertainment, probably a hard-discount tier.

Prediction: Large environments, great graphics, decent gameplay looter-shooter. Cons: shipping in early-access state, PVP just for the tickbox, story irrelevant.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Now that they're done with EA, it's time to call the big single player game makers and go all in.

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
from EA to Ubisoft isn't really an upgrade

also can't say I enjoyed any of Massive games in limited time I played them

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. The dam has burst and Lucasfilm is just announcing games left and right. I think this is the best option because they get to pick and choose projects to greenlight and we get to have more games based on their IPs. The exclusivity thing is dumb because there is only so many games alone publisher can pump out.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Damn, this is huge. Massive, I'd say.

I'm a huge fan of the Division games, so really excited to see the direction they take with this.