• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I guess my barometer is the Star Wars community has actively driven its creators and actors off of social media, into therapy, and even contemplative suicide.

Like, that's insane to me, and it wasn't a one-off thing.

G.I. Joe I'm sure has issues (it's a toyline that's been around since 1964), but rarely do I see the people consuming it dedicate such bitterness and resentment towards the individuals providing it, again to the point of mental health breakdowns and questioning their own reasons for living.

I mean, yeah, there's a lot of Star Wars material I don't like. But it's crazy to me that I can be someone who dislikes The Last Jedi but there are those who hate that film so much they want to burn down the director's house, or those that love it so much that criticizing it lumps me into that same group of nutjobs.

I've seen toxicity in all fandoms - Sonic, Pokemon, Dragon Ball, Harry Potter, etc. If you're big, you have bad apples. But Star Wars feels like the king of the crop of bad apples, at least from my observations.

A big part of it is just how big and old the franchise is. You have so many different viewpoints involved by such a large and diverse fanbase. Lot of franchise fan bases have in common often age group and period of upbringing. Star Wars you have such a wild variety of fans, fans from different periods who call various eras their own. Unlike say Harry Potter whose fans all kinda came into it at the same time, star wars has folks who are old now who idolized some of these characters for decades and unlike some, took things way too personally with how some characters were treated. Then you got different era/age group political leanings and viewpoints, like how everything is now SJW and Woke, vs more Conservative old timers, stuff you don't see as often in other fandoms.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
All this shit about wanting to be a kid again is heavy cringe. I'm sorry, I do't want "member berries" Star Wars...

Oct 25, 2017
"Dave and Jon saved Star Wars" types can get in the sea. Worthless bunch.
I'm totally down with Dave & Jon praise, glory be to Favroni, but anyone using it to rub into others peoples' faces in a malicious way mixed with wild accusations, then that's just a bunch o bullshit
that manchild pestering pablo is the whole reason he got jaded and cranky in the first place

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
All this shit about wanting to be a kid again is heavy cringe. I'm sorry, I do't want "member berries" Star Wars...

It's like they're compensating for the fact they have failed as adults when they say they want to be a kid again

Almost like being shown how Luke couldn't live up to the legend was a slap back to reality for them...

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
So he tweeted "emotions are not for sharing" to a fan's emotional video? Seems like a reference or sarcasm rather than an insult.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
"Dave and Jon saved Star Wars" types can get in the sea. Worthless bunch.
"Get in the sea"?

What is that supposed to mean? Are you saying that you want those people to drown or something? Because they don't share your opinion?

So, you are advocating that these people commit suicide because they are worthless ... because they don't share your opinion about Star Wars?!

It's weird when people complain about other people being toxic online by saying things online that are even more toxic.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Get in the sea"?

What is that supposed to mean? Are you saying that you want those people to drown or something? Because they don't share your opinion?

So, you are advocating that these people commit suicide because they are worthless ... because they don't share your opinion about Star Wars?!

It's weird when people complain about other people being toxic online by saying things online that are even more toxic.

you forgot that part where they said their lives have no worth

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Engaging with the type of Star Wars fan who gets mad on Twitter and nurses a grudge against The Last Jedi is always a mistake. Don't give those people the time of day, ever.

It doesn't sound like they had much of a childhood if one movie alone can destroy it.
How could you say that? The core of every good childhood is the fantasy of Luke Skywalker killing stuff with his lightsaber and Force powers. This is a very serious viewpoint that deserves attention and respect!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
star wars fans are fragile omg.

i have a bunch of friend that im pretty sure hate my guts beause i actually like the sequels

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
the wounds of last jedi

the WOUNDS of last jedi

the WOUNDS of last jedi

the WOUNDS of last jedi

The people who don't understand TLJ will never be over it and will never shut up about it. It's time to accept that this idiocy is going to be part of the fandom for decades now. No good Star Wars content will ever be released without someone making some weird reference to TLJ being bad. Just gotta learn to tune them out.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
When you are at the executive level I would just play it safe and not really engage with social media. It's just not worth it.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole thing is just dumb. Leave it to Star Wars Theory to start drama again while he sits back and reaps the YT clicks as his dregs go on a crusade for him.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
It's like they're compensating for the fact they have failed as adults when they say they want to be a kid again

Almost like being shown how Luke couldn't live up to the legend was a slap back to reality for them...
You are on here with literal man babies who cry about their stupid Last of Us 2 is not praised enough because their company made them crunch 100-hour work weeks. Let's not forget that site was based on a game forum... Fucking hell. House of glass.
"Get in the sea"?

Remember something about this forum, if something is considered "bad" expect to be shit on. I bailed out of the Mandalorian topic because repeated telling went unpunished, and that's not the worst thing that happened this week.

I had a DM telling me how privileged I am of buying used cars and being able to work on cars is a higher class thing! Meanwhile this fool's bragging about buying a $40,000 car. And my ass never paid more than $2k for one

And let's not MENTION the dozens of threads that are basically stealth brags. Take the general opinion with a grain of salt, and avoid the drama. Better in the long run

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Sarcastic tweets like that are always dangerous territory but it seems that this starwars theory guy has clearly sicced his fanbase on Pablo and is massively exagurating how hurtful it was because I mean... that's what his channel is about and hes already milking it

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly wish I just didn't enjoy TLJ, Rogue One, and Mando because I hate back door sliding into this fanbase. It really is the fucking worst lol

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
This honestly felt like nothing. Did he say that and tag the guy or did he just say it to the universe? Because go to youtube and see reactions and everyone is crying watching it. Doesn't feel like it was pointed at one person. Unless I missed something somewhere.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Engaging with the type of Star Wars fan who gets mad on Twitter and nurses a grudge against The Last Jedi is always a mistake. Don't give those people the time of day, ever.

How could you say that? The core of every good childhood is the fantasy of Luke Skywalker killing stuff with his lightsaber and Force powers. This is a very serious viewpoint that deserves attention and respect!

imagine how strong the childhoods of people who grew up with starkiller as their luke skywalker are

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I understand enjoying a thing so much that it makes you emotional, but Star Wars being that thing is so foreign to me, especially with the state of the franchise in 2020.

That being said, I couldn't ever capitulating to this fanbase for a whole multitude of reasons. Bunch of toxic assholes.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I love SW but as it turns out, that's the kind of "fanbase" you built with a franchise whose sole purpose for the last 20+ years was it to sell plastic toys to people over 30

Not even sure if /S

Last edited:

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
All i gotta say is this farming for clicks and views online ad economy needs to be better regulated if not outright replaced and that you need to be more clear and thoughtful in making Twitter comments.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Just some manufactured drama over pretending to think someone is telling them to not share their (fake, played up) feelings.

Also, crying over that scene? Really? Luke appeared in the last three movies and Hamill gave his career best performance in one of them, embodying everything Luke stood for, and we had a whole TV show about Jedi mowing down droids made of paper.

Not that I didn't expect that scene to embolden toxic assholes, but still...

Which reminds me to pull up this time capsule of those reactions.

Everybody in that sounds drunk lol

I'm not sure you can be a bigger failure than me and I loved that lol

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
the wounds of last jedi

the WOUNDS of last jedi

the WOUNDS of last jedi

the WOUNDS of last jedi
I mean, it clearly fucked up the mental health of a lot of people watching it, forever living in their head rent-free.
Hopefully, now they have seen a post-Return Luke doing the contrived Jedi stuff they wanted from TLJ, maybe they can start to let it go? Grieve over a space wizards movie not living up to your expectations as much as you need to, but maybe actually reach the final stage of acceptance at some point?

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
I mean, it clearly fucked up the mental health of a lot of people watching it, forever living in their head rent-free.
Hopefully, now they have seen a post-Return Luke doing the contrived Jedi stuff they wanted from TLJ, maybe they can start to let it go? Grieve over a space wizards movie not living up to your expectations as much as you need to, but maybe actually reach the final stage of acceptance at some point?
Not a chance.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
These are all true but you have to watch the content to see what I mean. He rides that line because he's one of the biggest SW channels out there and a lot of his viewership are the anti sjw , women ruined star wars types
A lot of star wars fans are like that, especially the ones online. On ERA we have people who dislike the movie and their points overlap with the same ones that a lot of the anti-sjw and misogynists' have on more structural issues. What seems to be a particular sore point here on ERA is that those people are so vile in their hate, to have views that align with them on totally unrelated issues on why one may dislike the film seems to turn others into feeling they need to defend the movie or people (And against many arguments, they should absolutely be defended no matter what you think of the film). Like you can have a debate over Rose, Rey, Finn or KK's handling of the franchise, but you will inevitably share views with the deplorables too, even if your views or criticisms are totally unrelated to the women ruined star wars and racist bullshit. Any legit complaint or point gets amplified by that group, but I don't think we can blame him for who his fanbase is unless he has cultivated it with women ruined star wars crap, which I haven't seen from him.

As far as him walking a close line on some of it, it's obviously not great but it's also pretty difficult for someone especially early on to be critical of that movie and not unintentionally dip their toe into it, especially or someone who has to be the spearhead of discussion on the films and address things floating around as far as criticisms. He doesn't seem to engage in it, or promote it so I would be willing to give him the benifit of the doubt in that he may have unintentionally waded into it at points, and Dec 2017 was only a year into the Trump presidency and there's lots of people who have grown their understanding on multiple social issues since then, or just learned to fully discredit them and not even bother to entertain it.

Again, I am only a more recent watcher, but if you had examples I would like to see them. I'd certainly hope he's not one of those people.

Jaktagious

May 29, 2018
I used to hang out with the man now known as Theory and my last interaction with him was when I bought tickets for him and our friends to see TFA on opening night. Dude messages me in the afternoon to tell me he just got out of the movie and hated it, said it wasn't a SW movie at all. I asked him why he caught a matinee when he told me to buy him a ticket for the night show and he said he expected to enjoy the movie enough to watch it twice in one day. He still owes me $15 XD.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Get in the sea"?

You forgot the very important /s my guy.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty crazy that this has spun out of Pablo making a sarcastic reply to someone making fun of the crying guy to somehow Pablo making fun of him instead. Not surprised that Star Wars fans can't follow a simple conversation or a youtuber would create drama out of nothing for those precious clicks.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
fanbase of movies made for kids is immature
who would have thought

these movies should have stayed in the 80s

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Star Wars fans are the fucking worst, my god. I'm ashamed I still like the series, not because some elements of it have been less than stellar. It's because goddamn fanboys have made it into a culture war.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
After having worked with and for Star Wars fans for years, theres a certain sector that just wants what it wants even if it isnt any good and "Luke power fantasy for 8 year olds" is definitely up there.

They also believe themselves to be the "only" star wars fans, which is always funny, especially when they go with "this is what star wars fans wanted", completely ignoring anyone else

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Jeez, that dude was legit crying. These types of reaction videos, specifically Star Wars ones, and the way hardcore fans over react to things they don't like and harass people just make me embarrassed to also be a fan and possibly be associated with that

Last edited:

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I wish Star Wars as a franchise would just focus on new characters and storylines instead of trying to tie everything together.

The Mandolorian seemed to be doing just that in season 1 with just subtle callbacks here and there but that went out the window in season 2 when it was all in your face.

Leave room for fans to have their crazy headcanon power fantasies and do your own damn thing. No one needs to know what Boba Fett, Obi Wan or Luke have been up to or what the origin story of their equipment is... Their stories have been told, characters such as Rey or Din Djarin should have stood on their own.

But I guess that train has left the station and Disney thinks pandering to nostalgia is the only way forward now. I hope Rogue Squadron builds its own little mythology at least.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Mandalorian has been a double edged sword for me in that while I genuinely love it I also feel it emboldens some of the worse people in the fanbase. I like Luke but it's harder for me to enjoy that scene knowing a bunch of dudes are using it to stroke their hate boner for how The Last Jedi "ruined" Luke because he wasn't reenacting The Force Unleashed.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
TLJ inflicted wounds that will never heal, by showing Luke defeat his lifelong demons and go out on a victorious note. Truly, the character was ruined for all time when he was made to embody the highest ideals of the Jedi.

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I adore Star Wars, but the majority of the time it's just not worth it to talk about it on public. For one normal person you find to talk there is 3 or 4 fucking idiots and manchildren that show up. I'm honestly tired of it.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
It's also a little weird to cry over a show about space wizards, yet here we are
Why is it weird? If you have a certain fondness for whatever character, you do you. Star Wars theory even explained it in one of his vids, looked up to Luke as a kid through a bunch of bad shit happening to him. I can relate to that.

Double standards on this site are sometimes hilarious. Fuck Hidalgo on this one, in my opinion.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I adore Star Wars, but the majority of the time it's just not worth it to talk about it on public. For one normal person you find to talk there is 3 or 4 fucking idiots and manchildren that show up. I'm honestly tired of it.
I don't think I've ever been a fan of a series that I've found as exhausting to talk about with people as Star Wars. Everything has to be the worst thing ever.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, fans act like petulant children all the time, shit all over the franchises they presumably love, call the writers, directors and producers names, bully each other over shipping or "wrong" fan art etc. but if some executive tweets something that at worst is only a fraction as bad as the bullshit the fandom throws at the studios every day everyone gay gasps at the disrespect or whatever.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it weird? If you have a certain fondness for whatever character, you do you. Star Wars theory even explained it in one of his vids, looked up to Luke as a kid through a bunch of bad shit happening to him. I can relate to that.

Double standards on this site are sometimes hilarious. Fuck Hidalgo on this one, in my opinion.

He made that reply to someone mocking the dude for crying, not to mock him. That people can't handle simple sarcasm and go from 0 to 100 in 2 seconds is not his issue.

It's actually crazy people are on this bandwagon and not using even the smallest amount of common sense.