• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
NOTE: I HAVE ONLY PLAYED THROUGH EPISODE 4. PLEASE DO NOT SPOIL ANYTHING FROM FURTHER EPISODES FOR ME THANK YOU

26976.jpg

Umineko no Naku Koro ni takes place in the year 1986 during the time frame of October 4 and October 5 on a secluded island named Rokkenjima (六軒島). The head of a wealthy family named Kinzō Ushiromiya, who lives on and owns Rokkenjima, is near death, and eleven of his family members arrive on the island to discuss how Kinzō's assets will be divided once he is dead. Also on the island are five of Kinzō's servants, and his personal physician. After the eleven family members arrive, a typhoon traps them on the island and shortly after people start to get mysteriously murdered.

Uhhh holy shit? This is so good?

Well I sound surprised... but I'm also kind of not. I remember watching some of the anime and the manga back in the day (can't believe they're 10 years old at this point) and enjoying it, and I always thought about reading the sound novel, but never got around to it for a few reasons.

1. I was more into the Higurashi anime at the time for one thing. Maybe it was because I was younger and some of the inheritance talk went over my head. Now that I'm old and grumpy the adult stuff was the most interesting part of the episode.
  2. It's funny because Higurashi also brings me to another reason I hesitated reading it: I didn't really enjoy reading the first episode of Higurashi much. Like once the action started it was great but oh my god... I remember what came before that was painfully dull. The stuff where they were playing games comes to mind. I also didn't like the art (sorry guys!) and when I played the game the original sprites were the only option.
  3. I have heard that Umineko is long. Like insanely long. Something like 100-150+ hours long? And well, now that I'm seeing the credits of episode 1 at 20 hours... yeah that ballpark range seems to bear out.

But I saw it was in the Autumn sale on Steam and after reading some good impressions on other sites I was like, "fuck it, it's time." And dove in. And now I'm just sitting here after finishing the episode like, "damn I should've read this earlier, I'm hooked."

And it didn't take me long to hook me, like maybe a couple hours. The character introductions were pretty slow but I felt like things started to pick up the second they got to the island. The intrigue with the mystery of the island and the grandfather just builds and builds from there. And even if that mystery wasn't there there's enough drama going on to tide you over until people start dying. There's sibling drama, there's parental drama, there's servant drama... Honestly aside from the kids I felt like everybody was one step away from coming to blows. The tension in some scenes is amazing.

I don't think I was super sold until the adults start talking having their "friendly chat" though. Like goddamn the way the siblings ganged up on Krauss and then he flipped the table on them was excellent, I was clapping. 5D chess!

Soon after that bodies start hitting the floor and the game just ascends from there. You can sort of guess who's going to die this round because the death flags aren't exactly subtle but boy does it hit hard when it still hit hard when it does. Poor George loses everything in the span of like 12 hours?

And I love going into the UI and seeing the character page update to reflect dead characters. I wonder if these were written by Maria? Gosh, they're creepy. Especially Kanon's, poor guy.

I think the thing that get's me the most is how strong Beatrice's presence was without us actually seeing her in the episode, which I think is a really bold move. The fear of the unknown is real. I'm not exactly sure whether all this magic stuff is real or not but from my fuzzy anime memories iirc it's definitely real.

My favorite part was definitely the siblings arguing, particularly this part made me laugh:
QeJpA0K_d.jpg

Characters seem pretty strong so far. I don't think there's anyone I really "root" for yet, but most of them be pretty deep or more than meets the eye. I like how Maria's "uuh" is something taken seriously and looked at as a problem (and it's so, so much better to read this than hear it, lmao). I really like Eva, like she's rude but I feel like she owns it. I like how Natsuhi really took charge and tried to take her best to take care of everyone. This sounds awful but I feel like she got a lot better after Krauss died lol? Battler is okay for an MC, he get's better towards the end but at the beginning he is super creepy with how much he talks about fondling his relatives' boobs. It's super off-putting.

Also speaking of Battler, here's a fun drinking game: drink every time the following words or phrases are said:

"Beatrice exists" or "Beatrice/witches don't exist"

"Flipped the chess board around"

"When the seagulls cry"

You'll probably die. Maybe not so much for the last one, but definitely the first two categories.

Some sore points I had were how, considering how smart they seem to be, it took them an awfully long time to consider the epitaph. Like they were talking about it the whole day leading up to the murders, and then completely forgot about it until they were in the study lol. I'm not sure if it would've helped, but I was facepalming pretty hard then (what makes this extra odd is how the Tea Party even calls themselves out on this!) Also hopefully they tone down Battler's creepiness in the later episodes, because it just comes off as super out of place here.

Speaking of the study, I thought it was hilarious how everyone felt so sad for Kinzo for pining after a supposedly dead Beatrice... and then realized like 3 minutes later everyone was set up as sacrifices to revive her 😂😂😂Like I was thinking to myself the whole time like, "Am I supposed to feel sad about this when he set yall up as sacrifices?" And then it dawned on them lol.

The Tea Party and the ???? parts were great too, gosh it was so cathartic to finally see Beatrice appear in the game.

0gcQBIs_d.jpg

Damn Bern looks so dead inside. Looks like she's directly talking to the player here. What I also like about this part is how you can go into the settings and choose to kill and resurrect both Bern and Beatrice. You get mocked, but I thought that was pretty funny.

The lack of CGs does strike me as a little odd but honestly I'm pretty squeamish so just the description of the dead was enough for me, the music and sound effects carry it enough on its own. The music is amazing by the way. The game knows just the right points when to kick it up a notch and I love it.

Can't believe Episode 1 took me 20 hours. It felt like 10 to be honest, but on to the next!

Last edited:

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
I think there is a patch to get the sprites of the PS3 version as well as voice acting. It's worth it, Beatrice laughs are the fucking best.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm obsessed with the manga in particular. It's a very obtuse story, but once it makes sense to you it's mind blowing and extremely emotional.

It'll take a significant investment to "get it" though. Part of the fun for me was speculating after each game and reading people's theories as the games came out.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Read it this year, what a ride.

The OST is awesome, but if you search for it on youtube NEVER READ THE COMMENTS lol. Full of spoilers.

OP
OP
Xita

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Word of warning: Ep 2 can really drag at times. That said after that it gets even better. 3 and 5 are my personal favs.

Yeah I can kind of see that already. I'm still hooked though.

I think there is a patch to get the sprites of the PS3 version as well as voice acting. It's worth it, Beatrice laughs are the fucking best.

Umineko is so incredible. I also second the voice patch (they also add the PS3 sprites as well as some CGs), Umineko's got some of the best voice acting of any game and makes the experience even better. It's also very easy to install.

Oh this is dope, will definitely look into this thanks! Can't believe this is all voice acted.

I'm obsessed with the manga in particular. It's a very obtuse story, but once it makes sense to you it's mind blowing and extremely emotional.

It'll take a significant investment to "get it" though. Part of the fun for me was speculating after each game and reading people's theories as the games came out.
Yeah I'm really bad with mysteries but I'm still trying to figure things out because it's so much fun.

Read it this year, what a ride.

The OST is awesome, but if you search for it on youtube NEVER READ THE COMMENTS lol. Full of spoilers.

It's very tempting but I've resisted!

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
As everyone already said, i recommend installing the ps3 art patch and the voices!

Enjoy the rest of the ride, it's great! Definitely my favourite visual novel

As for myself i'm currently playing playing Higanbana, also by Ryukishi

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
I've heard nothing but praise for this VN.
There's another re-release coming in Japan. Is the Gold edition kickstarter completely dead? Is now a good time to jump in? Or is now the worst time because a retranslation might happen soon-ish?

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I find Seagull's writing to be a bit of a mixed bag. Sometimes it is amateurish and really silly, and sometimes well crafted. At least, it is gripping in all the right moments, especially the horror aspect. And when you do peel back the layers, as slow as it is to occur, I find it is in the service of some very well done characterization. I love it overall, warts and all, especially when combined with one of the best ost I have ever experienced. I hope OP has a good time with it as much as I did.

Last edited:

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
There's another re-release coming in Japan. Is the Gold edition kickstarter completely dead? Is now a good time to jump in? Or is now the worst time because a retranslation might happen soon-ish?
I don't think there will be a retranslation, AFAIK the current steam translation already is the one that had some updates to an already impressive one. The Gold edition is MIA at the moment so who knows what is up with that.

That said with mods you can already get basically the "gold edition" as long as you don't mind japanese voices over english ones.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So this is coming to the PS4 and switch next year in Japan, might have to jump in cause I've heard nothing but amazing things about this.

Hope they are full releases

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was waiting for that Gold edition too but it looks preeetty dead.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Greatest VN of all time. Period. Such an incredible ride.

Incredible music, incredible characters. I will never forget Umineko.

And yes, please patch the game to get the PS3 Sprites + voice acting, it makes the experience so much better, the voice acting is amazing.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Imo the biggest thing the fan patch adds is the CG's.

I read way to fast to appreciate the voice acting but the CG's and better backgrounds do help to set the mood for certain scenes better.

Good luck with episode 2 OP, Beatrice is a delightful character.

Episode 2: Happy Halloween for Maria!
OP
OP
Xita

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Wow. Uh, so that was something. Basically take everything that happened in Episode 1 and multiply that by 100 because that would basically sum up this episode. The murders? Gorier. The mysteries? Even more complex. The magic? Way more involved than last time.

Greatest VN of all time. Period. Such an incredible ride.

Incredible music, incredible characters. I will never forget Umineko.

And yes, please patch the game to get the PS3 Sprites + voice acting, it makes the experience so much better, the voice acting is amazing.

Imo the biggest thing the fan patch adds is the CG's.

I read way to fast to appreciate the voice acting but the CG's and better backgrounds do help to set the mood for certain scenes better.

Good luck with episode 2 OP, Beatrice is a delightful character.

As everyone already said, i recommend installing the ps3 art patch and the voices!

Enjoy the rest of the ride, it's great! Definitely my favourite visual novel

As for myself i'm currently playing playing Higanbana, also by Ryukishi

Shoutouts to the people that recommended me the patch, made the game a lot more fun, and I didn't think it was gonna be that easy to get.

The CGs were neat (thankfully they didn't illustrate some of the nastier stuff) but what really got me was the voice acting. Particularly Beatrice's voice acting. HOH

Speaking of Beatrice though, another fun drinking game! Drink everytime the following phrase are said:

Devil's Proof
The Wolves and Sheep Puzzle
Furniture ("KAGU")
"USHIROMIYA BATTLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER"

The last one in particular got me every time. The seiyuu is killing it.

But anyway, onto the episode. It did not particularly have the greatest of beginnings, somehow managing to be even more boring than the start of 1's, though I guess the writer figured out I was already locked in by now so they knew I would endure whatever was coming, and I did! Not to say it was horrible but just about everything regarding Shannon and George and especially Jessica and Kanon's relationship is pretty cliche so if Beatrice wasn't in there laughing in their faces I was pretty bored. All of them were pretty badass in the end, I'll admit.

Speaking of Beatrice though, she is here in such a big way in this episode (and she makes the best faces!). It's such a crazy contrast compared to Episode 1 where she doesn't appear until the tea party. Here she's everywhere, she's in the past, she's in the meta rooms, she's in the mansion with them, she's everywhere. If I didn't love her character so much I would find it suffocating. Despite my misgivings about the beginning it does seem to serve as a window into what Beatrice's past was like because she's clearly affected in some way by their relationships.

Once things start off though, boy do they go off. My initial thought about the chapel murders was why Rosa was the only one to not get got when she was in the chapel too. I went back to the scene after I finished reading and it still sticks out to me

because she definitely did say that she believed in her. Did Beatrice know she was lying? Because iirc she says the opposite later (and that bares out with her being the only one not being invited to the Golden Land). It's odd because just looking at that scene you would think Kyrie would be the one to live and later be tortured because she hesitates before saying she believes but then half-heartedly says she does. The other weird thing to me is that I went a whole 20 hours before seeing Rosa's appearance being brought up.

giphy.gif

Holy shit I can't describe the catharsis I felt when Battler finally brought this up lmao, no one thought about that until now? And we still don't really have an answer either for what happened to her that first night. Hmm.

So new this time around is that we have meta Battler and Beatrice talking about the murders and how they happened, with a new mechanic called red text. It's interesting... though my first thought was what exactly keeps Beatrice from putting lies in the red text (though her contempt for liars and Maria insisting that witches never lie has me put those thoughts in the back for now). Best part was definitely the first mystery where Battler puts Beatrice in a corner with the red text. That was so satisfying. I'm curious to see it how it's going to be used as the game continues because it doesn't look like we've seen its full potential yet.

The magic get's a lot crazier in the second episode... like to the point where I'm hoping Battler can convince me this ISN'T magic as well as Beatrice. Like we just had flying stakes and butterflies last time. Now the stakes are actually girls, there's goatmen, there's another witch, the furniture have some kind of cyber weapons... I spent one night this week just going over what that Kanon vs Goatman sequence introduced in one scene and whew. That's... a lot. It goes from one extreme to the other. Like, "nah it's pretty reasonable to believe that there's no witches" to "how can this not be witchcraft lmao"

And so many murders were crazy brutal in this episode. It seemed like she was doing it to entertain Bern, but some of them, particularly George and Shannon and Kanon and Jessica's, seemed to be pretty cruel even for her. Can't help but think this was part of what Lambadelta was talking about, in how she ends up going so far she reveals some of her weaknesses. Though nothing really prepared me for the Banquet and the Tea Party, holy shit. Not gonna lie I laughed when furniture Battler looked at Beatrice for guidance as to why he was still getting killed when he accepted her. Fucked up lol. Rosa probably got it the worst though. And it was supposedly only done to get Battler to participate in Game 3? Super fucked up lol.

The real final boss is this clock though, what an oppressive presence. I get so spooked when it takes over the screen! STOP

THAT moment when Golden Slaughterer kicks in

This song is sooo good.

Music remains as great as ever. I was surprised by how much was added, and just skimming through youtube videos, there's still so much I haven't heard yet too. Very exciting.

Well as I'm looking at Episode 3 things only seem to be getting even more complicated with the introduction of Lambadelta. Bern was saying something about how she'll mess everything up so I'm really interested to see where things go this time. After this episode I'm really rooting for Genji, he's a total bro right now.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Xita Yup, beatrice's performance is so good, it makes everything so much better! One moment in Episode 4 is so crazy, you'll notive immediatly what i'm talking about!

When did you apply the patch? I really recommend doing the first Tea Party with the voices if it's not already done! That part hyped me so much the first time, it's so well done with the music and all!

I put the correct timestamp, 40:15 if it doesn't work

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty much at a loss for words when episode 2 ended. It was one of the most surreal story I have read. And figuring things out seemed completely hopeless. The red word stuff was very novel to me at the time, so I thought it was really cool, but somehow it muddied the water even further. Where do you go from that? How are you supposed to think your way through this when so much crap is mixed in with the narrative? It was weird and confusing, but in a good way. A rare story that legit made me feel like I was going crazy.

Oct 28, 2017
Well as I'm looking at Episode 3 things only seem to be getting even more complicated with the introduction of Lambadelta. Bern was saying something about how she'll mess everything up so I'm really interested to see where things go this time. After this episode I'm really rooting for Genji, he's a total bro right now.

3 is the best, brace yourself for maximum impact!
(altough there's a part in 4 that tops ep 3)

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Umineko is a truly magical experience, pun fully intended. Reading through each new episode as they came out, trying to solve the mysteries, and promptly crashing up against the theories of friends who were doing the same thing was a special kind of joy. But imagine having to wait 6 months between episodes! Every new release felt like such a huge, wild event, and even though you couldn't help but marathon-read through them ASAP they still had more than enough meat to keep the discussion thriving until the next episode dropped. Heck, even longer; many people were still going back and proposing new, better solutions to the murders in early episodes as late as episode 7.

If you think you're up to the challenge, OP, you should definitely try pausing between episodes to form some theories. It's not an easy mystery to solve by any means, but when the fans looked back on things after it was all over, it turned out that a small number of people had hit extremely close to the heart of the story as early as episode 3! It didn't become a widely-accepted view until after episode 5, if I recall, but it was definitely there. Despite the episode 2 opening song telling you that there's "no Dine, no Knox, no fair", the game can absolutely be solved with the clues presented.

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017
Soo it's 50% off on steam, and I guess I should buy the question and answer ark?
Really curious to see how it compares with Fata Morgana which I completely fell in love with last year.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Soo it's 50% off on steam, and I guess I should buy the question and answer ark?
Really curious to see how it compares with Fata Morgana which I completely fell in love with last year.

they're both among my favourite visual novel, but i couldn't compare them at all, they're so different in term of approach, visuals, style and the kind of story it wants to tell

But seriously go for it, i really doubt you'll regret it, Umineko is my N°1 VN, and i only played it last year

OP
OP
Xita

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Very convenient to see the answer arcs on sale since my time with the Question Arcs is almost done. I actually completed 3 a few days ago, but so much happened that it's taking some time to compile my thoughts lol.

100%. But I haven't really thought about comparing the two of those VNs, they're very different (and Umineko is much longer. Much longer.). The only common thing I feel they have is well one thing that's a little spoilery and a great soundtrack.

Episode 3: Growing Up
OP
OP
Xita

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

So much good music this episode!

I can sum up this episode in one image:

I felt so sympathetic to Battler in this episode lol. Anytime something crazy happened I was like, "okay so this absolutely bonkers and I don't understand... but I'm sure Battler is probably bashing his head against the wall watching this shit right now" and his reactions delivered!

I don't really know where to begin so I'll just start at the beginning:

I was so mad at this lol. But I mean you're supposed to feel mad! And that's good! And they even explain why Krauss is the way he is for reasons beyond "sexism in Japan in the 80s." That's what I like a lot about this game. Mostly everyone in this game is a terrible person, but the game also gives you good reasons as to why they're so terrible. A lot of this episode spends time giving backstory for characters, and I enjoyed that a lot.

The battle between Beatrice and Virgilia was the most exciting part of the episode oh man. I was like "TOP 10 ANIME BATTLES TOP 10 ANIME BATTLES" the whole time. I felt like Beatrice won in such a lame way though. Best part was Battler reacting to it and trying to figure out how to say it wasn't magic.

Which brings me to the conversation Battler and Virgilia have in the episode about science and magic and braun tubes and goblins. I have a feeling this is going to be super important later so I made sure to cap a few things but I still dunno what to think about witches potentially being just hi-tech people from the future?

But oh man, let me get to the star of the episode: Eva-Beatrice. "If only you'd just give up and die!"

Her laugh is ugly. Her personality is ugly. A lot of her portraits are ugly. But that's what makes her so fun to watch for me. She's so unapologetically evil, it's great. My mind was doing somersaults trying to figure this out in the beginning though. And I felt weird. Like a part of me wanted to feel happy because it's like, "awesome Eva finally get's what she wanted!" but in this game that only meant something bad was just around the corner. And the game wasted no time confirming those thoughts. Holy shit, I felt so bad for Rosa! Like my jaw was on the floor clicking through her death (s) scene. I get Rosa's supposed to be a punching bag, but she suffered enough in that Tea Party in Episode 2! Leave her alone lol. And I felt like even Beatrice's "clean" way of killing her was mean.

Speaking of Beatrice's "clean" killings, I was really relieved when the end of the episode and the Tea Party rolled around because here was my thought about Beatrice this episode:

Like really:

She's just... lame in the later 2/3s of this episode. And they justify it character-wise but I don't have to appreciate it. Also I'm still not completely convinced her "redemption arc" was fake because of certain things in the ending looking like she was fighting against herself. Also they spent an awfully long time giving exposition about her for it to all be made up. I dunno, this seems weird to say like 60+ hours in but I thought it was way too early to be trying to redeem her? Course this is with me knowing there was 5 episodes left, not sure if that was the case when it came out. And the way she "dies" and "dies" again made me a little annoyed (and both times they try to make it sad and tragic and I'm like "this didn't even get me all that sad the first time"). Virgilia did this too, she says something about her being a chess piece outside of the board after Beatrice kills her but is somehow able to get back on the board and pretend to be Beatrice so Eva-Beatrice can kill her again? I guess all of this can be explained with the Answer arcs or "it's magic I don't have to explain this stuff" but it made it a little hard to enjoy certain scenes.

But moving on to more positive things, what I loved the most about this episode was how all the siblings lived for a good while so we got to see how they worked together and more about how they tick. They...actually trusted each other. Holy shit lol? Like I was honestly shocked that no one suspected Eva until you got to last four. I get they probably thought Eva was too sick to do anything, but it was weird to see the amount of trust after it took no time at all for accusations to start rolling out in previous episodes. I guess this is what happens when you can't use the servants as scapegoats!

Kyrie was amazing, like I was clapping at her scenes. I was waiting so long for her to finally shine. When she was killed in previous episodes I was like, "yeah she's too smart, she can't live past the first round but I wish she would!" And she didn't disappoint when she got her moment.

And I love the Chiesters (do any females beside Kyrie wear pants lol?). "Nihihi." Every time 410 said that I loved her even more. Hope they're still around next episode.

The Tea Party was kind of odd (Lamba's face is amazing though). Well, the first thing that stood out was how the "human" Tea Party didn't feature any humans and "???" was mostly human stuff. But I also didn't really understand the stuff with Lamba and Beatrice. Maybe I wasn't supposed to get it yet. But I wasn't sure what Lamba meant by how she "borrowed" Beatrice's perfect board and how she made her a Witch when I thought Virgilia did? Though maybe thinking on that now all of that past might be fake and Virgilia is just a piece on her chess board? No idea.

Umineko is a truly magical experience, pun fully intended. Reading through each new episode as they came out, trying to solve the mysteries, and promptly crashing up against the theories of friends who were doing the same thing was a special kind of joy. But imagine having to wait 6 months between episodes! Every new release felt like such a huge, wild event, and even though you couldn't help but marathon-read through them ASAP they still had more than enough meat to keep the discussion thriving until the next episode dropped. Heck, even longer; many people were still going back and proposing new, better solutions to the murders in early episodes as late as episode 7.

If you think you're up to the challenge, OP, you should definitely try pausing between episodes to form some theories. It's not an easy mystery to solve by any means, but when the fans looked back on things after it was all over, it turned out that a small number of people had hit extremely close to the heart of the story as early as episode 3! It didn't become a widely-accepted view until after episode 5, if I recall, but it was definitely there. Despite the episode 2 opening song telling you that there's "no Dine, no Knox, no fair", the game can absolutely be solved with the clues presented.

I waited a few days this time! I don't think I've got enough of the smarts to figure out the mystery right now though, I feel like I'm even more confused on the story than I was before starting this episode.

Xita Yup, beatrice's performance is so good, it makes everything so much better! One moment in Episode 4 is so crazy, you'll notive immediatly what i'm talking about!

When did you apply the patch? I really recommend doing the first Tea Party with the voices if it's not already done! That part hyped me so much the first time, it's so well done with the music and all!

I put the correct timestamp, 40:15 if it doesn't work

I'll check this out before I start Episode 4!

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Xita while kyrie is smart and that shot is really badass, she's still like "oh i don't blame rudolph for going for another girl and leaving me alone"

so i wasn't 100% behind her on that scene, but still though, the jealousy power level was quite something :

envy_level.png

This game is a meme generator (and this one is far far far from the best one)

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Oh man, I cannot wait till you get to Chiru. Episodes 5 and 7 are my favorites of the whole bunch, even though 3 and 4 are also amazing.

Umineko is a wild, fantastic ride. Enjoy.

OP
OP
Xita

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Xita while kyrie is smart and that shot is really badass, she's still like "oh i don't blame rudolph for going for another girl and leaving me alone"

so i wasn't 100% behind her on that scene, but still though, the jealousy power level was quite something :

envy_level.png

This game is a meme generator (and this one is far far far from the best one)

I was thinking this too lol? Like she doesn't blame Rudolph at all? Really? But yeah since it was her first time doing something and the badassery level made me let it slide. Also helps that there's so much more shitty people in this game haha.

I look forward to seeing more memes when I'm done.

Oh man, I cannot wait till you get to Chiru. Episodes 5 and 7 are my favorites of the whole bunch, even though 3 and 4 are also amazing.

Thanks!

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I was thinking this too lol? Like she doesn't blame Rudolph at all? Really? But yeah since it was her first time doing something and the badassery level made me let it slide. Also helps that there's so much more shitty people in this game haha.

I look forward to seeing more memes when I'm done.

Thanks!

shitty people everywhere, and it's only starting :3

Zamaru

Nov 2, 2019
Wow, talk about a coincidence. I'm literally going through this game right now and stumbled upon this thread. Gotta say, it's been one hell of a ride so far. Only VN where I've been motivated enough to solve the mystery that I've even made a separate Word document with clues/ ideas/theories to keep it all in one place and easily accessible.

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017
Ok gonna buy, but gonna have to finish a couple of games I'm in the middle of first if I'm gonna enjoy this in good conscious. The length is a bit threatening honestly, but I'm pretty confident it will keep me engaged from what I'm reading.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Always nice to read your impressions OP, glad you're enjoying it.

I'm excited to see what you think about the answers arc, it's so good.

Episode 7 is so, so good, best one by far imo. And the tea party is also incredible.

Wow, talk about a coincidence. I'm literally going through this game right now and stumbled upon this thread. Gotta say, it's been one hell of a ride so far. Only VN where I've been motivated enough to solve the mystery that I've even made a separate Word document with clues/ ideas/theories to keep it all in one place and easily accessible.

Everyone should keep a Word document when reading through Umineko, trying to solve the mysteries and find the culprit in each episode is so much fun but so many things happen that it's impossible to keep track of everything without writing stuff down, atleast for me.

OP
OP
Xita

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is just wonderful to see lmao.

I dunno what to think of this reaction lol

We can figure out the mystery together!

Ok gonna buy, but gonna have to finish a couple of games I'm in the middle of first if I'm gonna enjoy this in good conscious. The length is a bit threatening honestly, but I'm pretty confident it will keep me engaged from what I'm reading.

If it helps I've rarely felt the game's length so far. When it get's going the hours fly by.

Always nice to read your impressions OP, glad you're enjoying it.

I'm excited to see what you think about the answers arc, it's so good.

Thanks! Just bought it today while it was on sale (though I honestly was gonna buy it either way) so soon ^TM. Got a lot of off time with the holidays coming up so it's very convenient timing.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Nice write-up, Xita !

I'm happy that you're enjoying your time with it. It's been a long time since I've read this myself. The discussions that were had during each Episode release were amazing.

I'm not sure if you've been doing it already, try to look at the character profiles every now and then for descriptions, especially after some kind of event. Watching this thread to relive the experience through your eyes.

Original art or bust.
Everyone should enjoy R07's art

This is my stance as well. His art has a certain charm to it once you grow on it.

To me Fata Morgana has a somber atmosphere throughout. Umineko is more fantastical.I like both. Both stories are pretty grand. Can't say if you'll like Umineko, but like Fata Morgana the music will enhance the experience as it has an awesome soundtrack as well.

If you decide to get it, the Question Arc are the first four games, while the Answer Arc are the latter four.

Episode 4: True Magic
OP
OP
Xita

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I swear I meant to make this post like a week ago but this episode was longer than I expected.

4th episode was surprisingly not as crazy as I expected. Maybe at this point I've just reached acceptance of the amount of WTF there is in Umineko? Not sure if that's a good thing lol.

This episode tries to do a lot, somehow even more than the last few episodes where instead of briefly spending moments in the past you are constantly jumping from the present to the future timeline of the 3rd game with them telling Ange's story as well as Maria's.

While Episode 3 touched on the concept of belief turning into magic, the 4th episode seems to go all in with in with it, and also spends a lot of time examining what truth is. It was nice to see because it was something I spent time wondering about with the red text because I just couldn't not think that there had to be some kind of loophole with it.

This whole episode had a different vibe than the ones before it (1 does too, in retrospect.). First it took me forever to realize this Ange was literally going on a journey to find the truth before she actually went to the past. I was thinking this all happened just before she first met Bern oops.

There's a lot of backstory with Maria as well. Maria is still one of my least favorite characters due to the whole "uuu" schtick but I still felt for her in this episode. Like it was to the point that I was dreading the next diary entry in the grimoire because I knew it was going to be more heartbreak. It was obvious what was going to happen to Sakutaro but I was still infuriated by Rosa ripping it (and the welfare officer for being completely incompetent).

Like Rosa looked so bad in this episode thanks to Maria's diary that I looked back on how Eva-Beatrice and Beatrice's murders and torture of her and was like:

"You know… I'm not gonna say she deserved all of that but… she probably didn't deserve much better treatment than that?"

I was shocked Rosa bit it right off the bat and laughed when she appeared in Purgatory. Maria be like:

"Your punishment must be more severe"

Gonna be honest, I'm not really all that into Ange. Everything about her is justified and she's a well-developed character but aside from her big moment at the end none of her emotional moments hit me. Though part of it might be because her backstory parts didn't get interesting for me until it neared the end and they kept on cutting in with it at places when the 4th game was getting interesting (there's literally a part where Ange leaves the game board and Battler's like "this is where the game get's interesting!"). Also wasn't really big on the Kasumi chase arc either. There was that one part with Lambadelta I really liked but then it turned out to be nothing because she knew the whole time she most likely wasn't going to get her family back.

What I really liked from this episode is that Beato stepped back and let Kinzo- oh oops, I mean Goldsmith, take the wheel this time which was awesome because he's just there hamming it up all the whole time with his laughs (so many laughs). His seiyuu must have had a great time. Loved how he still got burned to death at the end.

Bern and Lamda seem to be actively participating this time around and especially when Beato "quits." Gaap is awesome (her outfit is ridiculous though lol), hope she's still in the next round because I felt like she didn't do much aside from put people in pitfalls and the run-in with George. Virgilia was pretty disappointing, like they took her and made her into a comic relief character and that didn't work for me.

This episode seems to reflect how nebulous the concept of the "x twilight" and the epitaph is. You have Kinzo saying they can't kill the remaining adults and servants because it's not the right twilight yet but then hours later (and like an hour in-game time) he kills everyone else on the island regardless, doesn't even do the stakes this time and Beatrice revives regardless. So it just seems like you can decide to kill whenever as long as 13 die between Oct 4 and 5.

The test part of the episode was fun, a neat diversion from the usual theme of hiding away until someone's dumb enough to go outside. So sad George didn't turn heel, I mean I know it's not in his character but it would've been amazing to see.

The real big thing though in this episode is Battler's test. I was so confused when Beatrice brought this up and even more confused when she said it was the reason everyone dies on the island but it also isn't related to her. What? My initial thought was how Battler denounces the name Ushiromiya but that wasn't it. Still pondering this.

And the hits don't stop from there because next up is Beatrice quitting and then we learn Battler isn't Asumu's son. Well the latter I wasn't too surprised by, I was and still am waiting to actually see Asumu because Battler doesn't look like Rudolf. Though I guess this is more for Ange because Ange is Kyrie and Rudolf's son but doesn't look like either of them? This might be nothing but this has stuck out to me since the end of Episode 3 because the rest of the kids have some hair color traits from their parents.

By the way the part where Battler disappeared was fun to look at with the family tree because he really does disappear!

Beatrice quitting was surprising because it really does seem to come out of nowhere here. No idea what to think about that part, like I know we're usually missing information but here I felt like I missed a crucial scene somewhere that led to that. (The whole scene where the other Beatrice took over and the "Who am I" made me think she was Asumu?)

There's a big shooting sequence at the end of the episode where a bunch of Beatrice's red text come flying at you at once and there was so much I couldn't read but I did catch the "please kill me" and my computer also caught this in a screenshot (which I did not see initially)

Interesting. So this part leads me to believe that Beatrice is under some kind of punishment/curse and what we've been seeing for most of the game isn't the real Beatrice. They even had two Beatrices a couple times this episode. So it seems like we're moving a direction where Beatrice is a villain in the story, but not the true villain. The ??? tea party pretty much tells you that Lambda and Bern are the real villains and both Beatrice and Battler are trapped.

And with that, that wraps up the question arcs. I didn't expect to get this far when I first started it but here I am 100 hours later and practically obsessed. I have the Answer arcs loaded up but I'm just taking a short break before I start but them but the little synopsis is already intriguing. A new game master?

But in short, for right now here are my rankings:

Eva-Beatrice > Beatrice > Eva > Chiester Sisters > Ronove > Genji > Lambadelta > Bernkastel > Seven Stakes > Shannon > Hideyoshi > Kyrie > Battler > Gohda > Gaap > Kanon > Kumasawa > Jessica > George > Natsuhi > Nanjo > Ange > Rudolf > Krauss > Maria/Sakutaro > Rosa > Kinzo

Episode 3 > 1 > 2 > 4

Nice write-up, Xita !

I'm happy that you're enjoying your time with it. It's been a long time since I've read this myself. The discussions that were had during each Episode release were amazing.

I'm not sure if you've been doing it already, try to look at the character profiles every now and then for descriptions, especially after some kind of event. Watching this thread to relive the experience through your eyes.

Thanks! Yeah I regret missing out on that, must've been fun. I definitely do check the profiles, it's fun to look at how the profiles vary and how they change when something happens like death.

Last edited:

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Umineko has the best music and best voice acting of any interactive media I've played, and I don't say that lightly. It would be a huge missed opportunity to read this VN without the voice patch

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Eva-Beatrice > Beatrice > Eva > Chiester Sisters > Ronove > Genji > Lambadelta > Bernkastel > Seven Stakes > Shannon > Hideyoshi > Kyrie > Battler > Gohda > Gaap > Kanon > Kumasawa > Jessica > George > Natsuhi > Nanjo > Ange > Rudolf > Krauss > Maria/Sakutaro > Rosa > Kinzo

Pls stan Bernkastel.