• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Young-Justice.jpg

With Young Justice coming back in January, and me being on a big DC kick this last year, I decided to finally watch the show.

I just finished Season 1 and am 2 episodes into Invasion (Season 2) and WOW.

I understand why this show is so beloved, this is by far the best animated show I've seen and rivals the very best comic book media ever made.

-The cast is excellent, with real charm and chemistry.
-The animation is top notch, with fluid and weighty action.
-The dialogue, humor and plotting are all very compelling.

I also love the scope expansion at the end of S1 and into S2. I won't spoil anything, but it shifts from the episodic set-up of S1 into full-gear serialized long form comic bookery in S2. Really excited to see where this goes, and can't wait to catch up before Outsiders (Season 3). I hope DC Universe finds success, because I need a high quality season of this every year.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
best animated show you've seen?! to each their own fam no doubt. its the most fun I've had with superhero team stuff (live action or animated) since the Justice League cartoon tho.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
best animated show you've seen?! to each their own fam no doubt. its the most fun I've had with superhero team stuff (live action or animated) since the Justice League cartoon tho.

I've not seen JL/JLU but I hear it's even better. If the HD versions ever come to iTunes, I'll throw it on my commute backlog.

Oct 25, 2017
I've not seen JL/JLU but I hear it's even better. If the HD versions ever come to iTunes, I'll throw it on my commute backlog.

I prefer Young Justice to JL/JLU, but they are still really good and you should check them out also. Young Justice is very, very good, but it's not even the best animated DC show. Batman: TAS still holds that

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
It's really great. I did not care for it initially since it wasn't part of the Batman Animated universe, and the art style was not my thing, but I gave it a chance this year. Now I'm trying to collect the comic books (the ones from this show, not the previous Young Justice), since those appear to be canon and do take place in between episodes with creatives from the show doing the scripts.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I stopped watching animated super hero shows the last few years but this was worth bingeing several times. I loved the first two seasons and am hype asf we're finally getting a third after it was cancelled.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think YJ is better than JL/JLU, personally. Its only major fault is that it got cut short, and its scheduling was rough as hell while it was airing.

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I prefer Young Justice to JL/JLU, but they are still really good and you should check them out also. Young Justice is very, very good, but it's not even the best animated DC show. Batman: TAS still holds that

See...now when I read comments like this, is this nostalgia talking? Or maybe you're just appreciating the foundation that B:TAS created?

I was born in 90' so I literally grew up with DCAU...but I'm not really nostalgic for it. I'd rewatch Superman:TAS or the New Batman Adventures before I watch B:TAS. The animation is so....clunky. Probably why I never binged 90s X-men. Most of my rewatches were on Amazon Prime, but maybe I'd need to see the blurays for better quality.

I mean....I just watched the first season of Gargoyles a while back. The budget on that show was crazy by today's tv animation standards (which is pretty low in my opinion. Tangled amd Big Hero 6 look kinda rough next to Kim Possible and American Dragon).
Teen Titans >> Young Justice

Meh, they both scratch a different action cartoon itch for me. Wacky yet serious anime-style for my teen years (03-09), and Serious business with dry humor for my 20s. Both have a place for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
3 more episodes to go - going to binge them in a row tonight.

So glad I only have to wait a few weeks for season 3 - 8 years sounds like a nightmare. Interested in taking a look at the known line up and maybe reading some comics / watching some shows before hand.

Also, the GOAT:
latest

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I dig it
And I'm happy it's back

But between you and I, Green Lantern TAS was the better show of the two....

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That was an amazing show. Truly blown away.

Def need to figure out how to screencap iTunes purchases so I can make a new avatar.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Young Justice is great.

Young Justice > Justice League = Justice League Unlimited > Teen Titans GO! > Teen Titans

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
3 more episodes to go - going to binge them in a row tonight.

So glad I only have to wait a few weeks for season 3 - 8 years sounds like a nightmare. Interested in taking a look at the known line up and maybe reading some comics / watching some shows before hand.

Also, the GOAT:
latest
No lie, we named our first cat Artemis because of this show.

It was an amazing character-centric series that was willing to put characters in such troubled and compromised positions. Greg Weisman really outdid himself.

If you can find a way to watch it, you should seriously watch his previous show Spectacular Spider-Man.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York

It was an amazing character-centric series that was willing to put characters in such troubled and compromised positions. Greg Weisman really outdid himself.

If you can find a way to watch it, you should seriously watch his previous show Spectacular Spider-Man.

Too soon... too soon!

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

I was very impressed at the deep cover story line and the stakes felt real high. Can't wait to see what they do without TV regulations.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Subjective for real. I can't even @ you. Seeing TT at the end hurts though...especially from a dude who likes anime.
But you basically did @ me.

TT suffers from poor/inconsistent animation, ugly coloring, mediocre action, some questionable designs outside of the core team, just a tad too much melodrama for my tastes, and even though the voice cast is great, something about the actual audio has just not aged well at all. I give it credit for being more stylized and experimental, but I feel it just didnt have the budget to make it all come together.

For my money, if you put the Teen Titans squad into Young Justice, there would be no reason to ever revisit it.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If we're ranking purely DC team-up shows
JL/JLU>JLA>Young Justice>Teen Titans>Go>Legion of Superheroes

And I like Go, but hard to rank since doing it's own thing

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen the first season of Young Justice, but I detested it.

I HATED the cast, especially Superboy (but not Miss Martian, she's awesome), thought the story was so melodramatic and annoying, did not like the animation or writing. It felt like every scene was going out of its way to irritate me.

Easily one of the worst seasons of television I've trudged through. Will watch Season 3 to support DC Universe, though...which means I'll have to watch Season 2.

Batman: TAS > Teen Titans > Justice League > Superman > Static Shock > Young Justice

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Truly phenomenal television. One of my favorite shows ever, animated or otherwise. I'll be subscribing to DCU for a month to binge season 3 as soon as it releases.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I started watching very late but I absolutely loved Young Justice, fantastic characters and action scenes. Super stoked for the new season.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Truly phenomenal television. One of my favorite shows ever, animated or otherwise. I'll be subscribing to DCU for a month to binge season 3 as soon as it releases.

Yeah, I bought S 1&2 because it is up there with my very favorite shows. Will be subbing through the shows S3 airing and will purchase it on iTunes as well whenever it drops there.

I HATED the cast, especially Superboy (but not Miss Martian, she's awesome), thought the story was so melodramatic and annoying, did not like the animation or writing. It felt like every scene was going out of its way to irritate me.

Easily one of the worst seasons of television I've trudged through. Will watch Season 3 to support DC Universe, though...which means I'll have to watch Season 2.

Batman: TAS > Teen Titans > Justice League > Superman > Static Shock > Young Justice

You'll like S2 more. It's a lot less drama and a lot darker.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Young Justice just always feels slightly disappointing to me. It's not as good as Justice League/Justice League Unlimited. I feel like a lot of the plot points and "big" moments of the show lacked as big of an impact as they could have had. Also I didn't really like the charcters as much.

That said, it's not a bad show. It's still good.

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But you basically did @ me.

TT suffers from poor/inconsistent animation, ugly coloring, mediocre action, some questionable designs outside of the core team, just a tad too much melodrama for my tastes, and even though the voice cast is great, something about the actual audio has just not aged well at all. I give it credit for being more stylized and experimental, but I feel it just didnt have the budget to make it all come together.

For my money, if you put the Teen Titans squad into Young Justice, there would be no reason to ever revisit it.

Nah, I disagree. Because your opinion was subjective, I'm obligated to respect it. Even....if it hurts as a TT fan.

Also, most of the reasons you don't like TT is why I can't rewatch Batman:TAS, but we all know that show is definitely on a pedestal. Which means I guess people watch different shows for different reasons. Or in anime terms: Not every show I choose to watch has stellar sakuga. If you want compromise though, I'll say that I've revisited YJ way more than TT.

Welp, atleast Static is on the list.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Young Justice was amazing. I can't wait for S3. For me, it's up there with the best DCAU shows.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Young Justice just always feels slightly disappointing to me. It's not as good as Justice League/Justice League Unlimited. I feel like a lot of the plot points and "big" moments of the show lacked as big of an impact as they could have had. Also I didn't really like the charcters as much.

That said, it's not a bad show. It's still good.
Yeah. One problem with the actual Justice League existing in this universe is that you know they're off doing cool shit you don't get to see, and you always wonder about them, which takes away some focus from the actual protagonists. Like, the team is cool and all, but what's Batman up to?

Season 2 kind of addresses this but does so in a crappy way. Let's see what S3 does.

Nov 1, 2017
I've been watching this on Netflix and it's fine, but I have a problem with the subtitles for Zatanna...

Dzg9yd8XgAE7tQe.jpg

I mean, I get that someone unfamiliar with the character wouldn't instantly recognize her speech as backwards English, but why the fuck would you guess it's Latin?

Later on someone caught on cause it started saying "Incantion" instead, which is fair enough, then someone else came along and for one episode they actually wrote the spells as she said them, and then it went back to Latin...