• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Say hi to my new property manager Nugget

171O3Dl.jpg

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
Just finished 6 and very keen to jump into Kiwami 2 hearing how good the game is....

So Far I've played 0, Kiwami, 3, 4, 6.

0 was clearly my favourite by a long shot, followed by 4, 6, 3 and then kiwami.

Question: does Kiwami 2 still have the insane level of jaggies on buildings that 6 has? or is it cleaned up a lot?

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
The second song in Karaoke for Kiryu in Y0 is so sad but funny at the same time. The video of him at the bar drinking alone had me going

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently played and completed Zero and Kiwami after my friend recommended Kiwami but I wanted to start with the prequel. Between those two games, I not only enjoyed Zero more but I think that it's easily the better game. Will be playing Kiwami 2 next week and knowing that it has the same major negative as in Kiwami 1 will pretty much all but guarantee that Zero stays as the best Yakuza game for me. Won't mention the negative as it's story related. Will play Yakuza 3/4/5 if they get localized for NA. If that happens, I'll then play Yakuza 6. If not, I'll end my Yakuza run with Kiwami 2.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
If possible without spoilers can anyone tell me if Kiryu gets the dragon of Dojima style/progression tree eventually in Y0? Only at chapter 6

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Still stuck with 0's Mahjong and Fishing CP

But Otherwise it have been AWESOME to play it can't wait to play Kiwami when I have 0's Platium

Sub Stories were so funny to do, haven't laugh that much in AGES

Thanks SEGA and give me 3, 4 and 5 for PS4 soon

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Japanese mahjong seems like it might be fun with other people, but playing it in Yakuza wasn't any fun. It felt like I needed a group of people to play with to constantly remind me of all the scoring rules and special hands. Also I think playing it on easy is a mistake since iirc the win condition (han?) is set low, so the CPU wins off of bad hands.

For anyone interested in mahjong, I think basic HK mahjong is much easier to understand for beginners.

Nov 1, 2017
Just finished Yakuza 6. Still planning to play Kiwami & Kiwami 2 after a palette cleanser as to not burn out on the series too fast.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Love these games but the dragon engine brings it to the next level. It's awesome when the fights spill into convenience stores or arcades.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Going back to the music picks at the top of the page. 0 has many good choices, but this will always remain my favourite:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Saw this in reply to the official Yakuza twitter today, too good not to share and it's also accurate depiction of me rn
DwGCP2sV4AAJn3p

Still trying to convince two friends to play Yakuza. They're not so much interested on it, but with Yakuza Kiwami on PS+ last year, they're entertaining the idea now. I just need to make them make the final leap and start playing it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Truth - playing through Kiwami 2 right now, and despite the series never visually impressing me before, this is some absolutely lovely stuff. Dragon engine does some outstanding stuff and makes it look pretty effortless

The first time I walked into a building, opened a door, walked around an office and then returned to the street seamlessly without any loading or cut, blew my goddamn mind.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The first time I walked into a building, opened a door, walked around an office and then returned to the street seamlessly without any loading or cut, blew my goddamn mind.

Even just the seamless fight transitions are such a massive QOL improvement. Arguably long overdue, but welcome regardless

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So Yakuza 0 was my first Yakuza game and I loved it.

I pre-ordered Yakuza 6 but never played past the first 1-2 hours... Part of it because of other stuff happening in my life at the time but also because the graphics actually gave me a bit of a headache on PS4 because of the amount of jaggies and shimmering...

Anybody tried it with the PS4 Supersampling mode? Does it help at all?

At this point I might even wait for a potential PC version and buy it a second time because of that ugh.... I'm really not a graphic elitist in general but for some reason that particular case always bugged me a ton.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm still f'in sad there's no physical CD release for 0's OST since I would've copped that with the quickness! Soooooo many good tracks in there but I won't post any late game tracks since not everybody finished 0 yet but yeah, the OST keeps being amazing!

One of my favorite tracks is from the Real Estate jobber fights here and there but sadly since the enemies are weak, you can't really enjoy the track much. Should've been used on a higher level arena fight or something honestly.

Exto

Jan 2, 2019
I love Yakuza 0, but was disappointed with Kiwami. Gameplay was basically the same but the quality of story dropped quite a bit with Kiwami.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Since this is spoiler free I'm not gonna be specific but HOLY SHIT these plot points in Y0 are just gut punches after playing Kiwami...damn, Nishiki...

Oct 25, 2017
I revisited 6 after listening to Alex on the Giant Bomb goty podcasts. It starts out *very* slow (sidelining or otherwise piece-moving things from Yakuza 5, I assume), but once you arrive in Hiroshima and the story starts to take shape, it really picks up.

I still haven't played any of the PS3 games (3, 4, and 5 — I've played 0, K1, K2, and 6). I look forward to revisiting them when the remastered versions are released. (Assuming they are released...)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I revisited 6 after listening to Alex on the Giant Bomb goty podcasts. It starts out *very* slow (sidelining or otherwise piece-moving things from Yakuza 5, I assume), but once you arrive in Hiroshima and the story starts to take shape, it really picks up.

I still haven't played any of the PS3 games. I look forward to revisiting them when the remastered versions are released. (Assuming they are released...)
All Yakuza games start out slow. Even 0 took a while to get going (just with the advantage of having one heck of a long fight at the end of the first chapter). Its both a pro and a con of the series. For example - 3's first 3-4 chapters are pretty slow going with mainly scene setting and character development then it goes into high gear from there. End game Yakuza is some of the best in gaming (in my opinion) since you usually get longer, more insane fights, boss battles, plot twists and hype moments!

Carankan

One Winged Slayer
Dec 22, 2017
I'm currently working my way through the series, playing Kiwami 2 right now. I really loved 0 and the first Kiwami to a lesser degree but I'm not sure I can get used to the Dragon Engine of this one. I keep knocking things over and generally feel less in control of Kiryu during combat, was this something those of you who've played both experienced as well? And if so, how long did it take you to get used to the change?

It also got me wondering what the 'feel' of 3-5 is. Are they similar to the gameplay of 0 or is it something different altogether?

I figured this'd be the best place to ask.. :)

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently working my way through the series, playing Kiwami 2 right now. I really loved 0 and the first Kiwami to a lesser degree but I'm not sure I can get used to the Dragon Engine of this one. I keep knocking things over and generally feel less in control of Kiryu during combat, was this something those of you who've played both experienced as well? And if so, how long did it take you to get used to the change?

It also got me wondering what the 'feel' of 3-5 is. Are they similar to the gameplay of 0 or is it something different altogether?

I figured this'd be the best place to ask.. :)
They are pretty much identical to 0 aside from not being able to sprint.

Oct 25, 2017
i just finished six, and even though I know jumping into 3 right away would probably burn me right on out, I'm super bummed there isn't a good way of playing that game yet

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished 0.

• Majima is such an awesome dude. The first time i saw him in 4/5, I didnt know there was a history behind his madness. He is just really cool in 0, and it all makes sense how the mad dog starts to peek out in a way now. Easily cooler than kiryu... From a gameplay AND story perspective. This was majima's game.
  • Kiryu had better counters tho. I prefer reaction based combat.
  • The real estate mini game was a grind. Did not enjoy.
  • The cabaret club was one of the funnest minigames i have played... ever. It had its own storyline with it as well.
  • Buying properties/clubs could've been done a bit better. No way you could find them all without having a guide open next to you.
Also, it never stops being fun to kick a thug into a restaurant or a store and keep kicking his ass inside lol
Holy shit! For real? You can do that? Wow. Cant wait till I comes out on pc so i can play it. I dont play my base ps4 anymore. Plus, I hear it doesn't run well..

Last edited:
OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Ugh have had a family member in hospital and was sick myself but I did manage to kinda zone out and play the cabaret game all weekend in between. Y'all were right it's better than the real estate mini game. Was able to unlock Dragon of Dojima and Majima's "secret" style as well.

Finally getting a little better at the disco mini game too, took me a while to get the hang of it.

Yakuza 0 is part of this months humble bundle, another cheap way to get in on one of the experiences of the gen IMO.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
15 hours into Yakuza 4 (Part 2, Chapter 4), and it is SO much better than Yakuza 3. Went back and read some of the reviews of these games, and I feel like some of those reviewers were playing totally different games than me (esp. IGN, saying Yakuza 3 had a great story but then complaining about Yakuza 4, LOL).

My ratings based on what I've played so far:

Yakuza 0: 9.5
Yakuza Kiwami: 7.5
Yakuza Kiwami 2: 9.0
Yakuza 3: 5.0
Yakuza 4 (so far): 9.0

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 4 has its issues story wise, just wait. Also, I felt that 3 had the better baddies than 4 (of which I remember two of the end bosses - 1 because it was epic and one because it is up there with one of 1's/Kiwami's as one of the "worst" in the series). Its all down to opinions, I loved 3 but basically forgot about anything that happens in 4 outside of me really loving Akiyama and Saejima - which is why I'm so excited for the remaster next week so that I can replay it and remind myself about the bits of the game I've forgotten about over time.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Finished Yakuza 0 last night! Had to watch half the ending on YouTube as the game crashed on my PC like 10 mins after the final fight.

Really really excellent game! The story was fantastic and full of pathos. Made me feel I understood everyone's motivations in Kiwami 1 way better.

Looking forward to moving on to Kiwami 2 and the Dragon Engine...May even start tonight!