• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I get why people dislike the sexist anime shit, I'd rather it wasn't there. But I think it's selling the game short to focus only on that. It should be called out for the shit it is, but personally I think it's a very minor part of this huge, magnificently crafted game. I won't let 10 minutes of trashy scenes spoil 100+ hours of stellar game.

Hopefully they do much better with the next game and skip the trash.

Isn't Torna much improved in this department?
Torna, at least writing-wise is much, much better (for one, it's writing is genuinely good, though still not on Xenoblade 1's level), but some of Xenoblade 2's DNA is still there (there's still a sleepwalking scene, though it at least occurs off-screen).

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Torna, at least writing-wise is much, much better (for one, it's writing is genuinely good, though still not on Xenoblade 1's level), but some of Xenoblade 2's DNA is still there (there's still a sleepwalking scene, though it at least occurs off-screen).

Xenoblade 1 writing, except the 3 chapters that focus on Melia and thankfully Future Connected, is genuinely "let's watch some paint dry" level of engaging.

XC does a lot of things right, writing is definitely not one of this.

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apart from the horrible character designs, I've always preferred XC2 over the first one. The story was more endearing, the party was more developed (XC1 was mostly Shulk and friends), and the combat was more rewarding and complex in the sequel.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I have a love/hate relationship with this game. I hate the over-sexualisation of certain scenes, characters and Tora but I love the character-driven narrative and world design. The game is a UI nightmare with poor button mapping and battles are a slog until you have a good party with rare blades but the world of Alrest is visual eye-candy and is a reminder of how talented Monolith Soft is with their game design post-Nintendo.

Hopefully they do much better with the next game and skip the trash.

Isn't Torna much improved in this department?

It is, I don't recall any moments in Torna that portray overt sexualisation. The same can be said for Future Connected.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
Not enough is said about how overcomplicated the battle system is. You know that whole thing where you make the different colors appear and then burst them or something? I literally never used that (I completely forgot about it after its tutorial, in part because they vanish forever) until I was stuck on the penultimate boss fight. I eventually looked up what I was doing wrong and saw how that one aspect of the battle system was suddenly mandatory at the very end of the game.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
I just started this game myself and I'm not sure what I make of it.

I'm on chapter 4 now and I'm not sure I love the story or characters. There are attributes to them that are enjoyable (I do like Rex's attitude at times with his naive cheekiness) but overall I'm a little unimpressed with the narrative direction. I also find the villains a bit surface-level and not as well built up as villains in, say, old final fantasy titles.

Battle system is also a bit underwhelming as well. I find that it's hard to make any real choices with the mechanics, and it's frustrating when Nia decides she wants to switch away from healing to attacking. It would be nice to have direct control over each character's blade at a given point, with some time slow-down to compensate for more fine grained control.

So I have basically 2 questions
a) Does the game pick up? At least from a gameplay example, are there more mechanics down the line that give me more opportunities of choice?
b) Does XBC1DE have a better story and combat system? Or is it roughly the same experience?

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 definitely a flawed game but it's overall still great I think. Glad you enjoyed it OP. Monolith Soft is second to none in crafting amazing environments that just beg to be explored. Going through one of these games feels like a long, fantastic journey. Couple that with the outstanding OST (XB2 was robbed so damn hard on OST awards) and the fantastic cinematic cutscenes (that are supported by set OST, the major "Counterattack" cutscenes are so good) and you've got yourself a pretty enjoyable RPG.

You are in for quite the ride with Torna, OP. Best SP DLC Nintendo's done so far. Just a tip, do the sidequests as you come across them. Don't ignore them.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

I'm on chapter 4 now and I'm not sure I love the story or characters. There are attributes to them that are enjoyable (I do like Rex's attitude at times with his naive cheekiness) but overall I'm a little unimpressed with the narrative direction. I also find the villains a bit surface-level and not as well built up as villains in, say, old final fantasy titles.

Battle system is also a bit underwhelming as well. I find that it's hard to make any real choices with the mechanics, and it's frustrating when Nia decides she wants to switch away from healing to attacking. It would be nice to have direct control over each character's blade at a given point, with some time slow-down to compensate for more fine grained control.

a) Does the game pick up? At least from a gameplay example, are there more mechanics down the line that give me more opportunities of choice?
b) Does XBC1DE have a better story and combat system? Or is it roughly the same experience?

Keep digging, the villains especially are probably the star of the show. Chapter 4 is a bit of a 90 degrees deviation to the main plot, from mid-point of chapter 5 the game turns back to the "main plot".

DE and 2 are pretty much the same gameplay and structure, they are very, very similar.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not enough is said about how overcomplicated the battle system is. You know that whole thing where you make the different colors appear and then burst them or something? I literally never used that (I completely forgot about it after its tutorial, in part because they vanish forever) until I was stuck on the penultimate boss fight. I eventually looked up what I was doing wrong and saw how that one aspect of the battle system was suddenly mandatory at the very end of the game.

What are you talking about? I can't even imagine playing through the game without doing elemental bursts, it's how you place debuffs on enemies as well as throw up huge numbers.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK

Chapter 5 onwards is serious stuff. All the characters and villains get a lot of development. Stick with it and you will be rewarded in those regards.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I'm impressed that you tolerated the game for seemingly 60+ hours without doing elemental bursts - which is the big issue I have with Xenoblade 2's combat.

You either follow a flowchart with almost no room for deviation in the main story, or regular enemies take minutes to kill. It's the main reason why Spirit Crucible Elpys is the worst dungeon in any JRPG (as you're limited to level 1 specials - which means no elemental orbs).

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 1 writing, except the 3 chapters that focus on Melia and thankfully Future Connected, is genuinely "let's watch some paint dry" level of engaging.
It was honestly something that really stood out to me on my replay. XC1 is all about the spectacle and intrigue of its plot, which makes for a great first impression, but then you notice how flat a lot of the characters really are. There are exactly 2 morally gray characters in the entire game
Egil and Tyrea
, the former of which isn't really repentant just gets persuaded at the last minute to maybe not be such a dick, and the latter isn't even developed without the DLC. Every villain in the game can be summarized as "I want more power, and I could care less about what it takes to get it." Heck that even applies to the first exception I pointed out.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Have fun with Torna cowbanana !!
I WISH the gameplay for the base game was based on Torna's style. Dx

If you really dont like the game why are you here? bah.

Because they love the series; just sometimes parts of games aren't good.

Can absolutely recommend. I loved his Xenoblade Chronicles LP and will watch his XBC2 LP when I've got more time.

It's nothing more than thread derailment at this point.

Wow thrilled Emil is taking on XB2 (the XB1 playthrough was fantastic)!! He must have researched a lot. o_O

I still have really stark loves for some parts of the game as much as I hate (questionable designs and gameplay design choices), but it is lovely in certain parts. I don't love the game, it's my least favourite in the trilogy (XB1 had a neater/original story; XBX had significantly less restricted fields/movements), but it does some things quite alright that I hope it makes for a more polished game with whatever the next title is.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

This really caught me by surprise when played the remaster. Only characters that get some development are Shulk and Melia. While the plot is there, the lack of development for the other characters really detract from the experience. Special points to Sharla and Riki; you could remove them from the entire game and you wouldn't even notice.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Keep digging, the villains especially are probably the star of the show. Chapter 4 is a bit of a 90 degrees deviation to the main plot, from mid-point of chapter 5 the game turns back to the "main plot".

DE and 2 are pretty much the same gameplay and structure, they are very, very similar.
Chapter 5 onwards is serious stuff. All the characters and villains get a lot of development. Stick with it and you will be rewarded in those regards.

Hmm, alright, I'll keep pushing through myself then. I'm kind of slowly moving through this game over quarantine, and I guess I don't have anything new to switch over to anyway so why not. :)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I thought both Xenoblade 1 & Xenoblade X had much more entertaining battle systems than XB2. I liked the story in Xenoblade 1 a lot more as well.

EDIT: Specifically, I like how in Xenoblade 1 each character feels mechanically distinct with their own abilities & equipment. I feel like the combat is more interactive in Xenoblade 1 whereas in Xenoblade 2, it felt like what the enemy was doing didn't make much of a difference in what you were supposed to do.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

a) Does the game pick up? At least from a gameplay example, are there more mechanics down the line that ginve me more opportunities of choice?
a) Chapter 4 is the low point of the game where everything grinds to a halt. There are a bunch of mechanics that haven't been introduced yet that help tie the various systems together and just having more blades increases the diversity of combat. The plot also starts to get a lot more interesting.
b) Imo XB2's story is much more compelling than XB1's, but the general opinion puts them roughly equal with one another. Combat wise XB2 is way, way better with a much wider set of characters and abilities and more interesting mechanics. XB1's combat would be fine if it incorporated arts cancelling like XB2 to speed things up, but as is it simply goes too slowly and requires too much repetition to be super enjoyable.

On the whole XB2 is a bigger, more diverse game with higher highs and lower lows while XB1 is more consistent but smaller and less spectacular.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This really caught me by surprise when played the remaster. Only characters that get some development are Shulk and Melia. While the plot is there, the lack of development for the other characters really detract from the experience. Special points to Sharla and Riki; you could remove them from the entire game and you wouldn't even notice.

Oh no Sharla has a development.

She goes from lusting over Reyn's muscles as soon as she saw him, to remembering she was supposed to have a previous love interest, to "oh well, I guess it's just Reyn now".

The hate for Mythra's sleepwalking scene is incredibly funny when Sharla's entire arc in the first game is a pendulum between Gadot and Reyn because the plot demands it.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Antagonizing other members
Glad you enjoy the game OP. even with flaws Xeno2 is a very memorable game. one day I will comeback and do the Ng+.

also another fun part of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 LTTP is to guess which one of the 'LOVER' of Xeno2 will post first.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine.

January 2021, Nintendo announces the first General Direct since September 2019. There is your Bayonetta 3, your Mario whatever, BotW2, some 3rd party games...

"but before we go, we have one more thing"

FrailRegalBluefintuna-size_restricted.gif

It's the dark, erotic, violet Takahashi game, and it's Xenoblade 3

"Coming 2021"

giphy.gif

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, alright, I'll keep pushing through myself then. I'm kind of slowly moving through this game over quarantine, and I guess I don't have anything new to switch over to anyway so why not. :)
From what I recall, the last 3 chapters of the game are where the plot really hits the throttle, things start to accelerate huge, and the game becomes really hard to put down.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia

a) There's one mechanic introduced later on, but that's at the end of Chapter 7. If you're not liking this game now, then don't be an idiot like me and quit while you're ahead.
b) Much, much better, in every aspect from exploration (which don't piss you off constantly with field skills), writing (which actually takes anime tropes in a compelling direction) and combat (which is quick and snappy, if basic).

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I put well over 100 hours into the first one earlier this year and about 60 in 2 directly after and had a great time. I thought I might burn myself out but I got through the entire story. Will play Torna sometime next year. Straight up a great game........ that would have been much better if Nomura designed all the characters himself. The best designs in the game were Nomura's 100%, and if he did more I wouldn't have cringed so much playing through the game with all those pandering, god awful designs.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I enjoyed Torna a lot more because it seemed to dial back the fanservice comedy. Even the sleepwalking scene worked better for me in Torna as (not) viewing it through a wall as a 3rd party made it feel less wish fulfillment and more absurdist.
I'm impressed that you tolerated the game for seemingly 60+ hours without doing elemental bursts - which is the big issue I have with Xenoblade 2's combat.

You either follow a flowchart with almost no room for deviation in the main story, or regular enemies take minutes to kill. It's the main reason why Spirit Crucible Elpys is the worst dungeon in any JRPG (as you're limited to level 1 specials - which means no elemental orbs).
Yeah, the battle system was flashy but after hours of playing, it felt static, lengthy and non interactive. It didn't really matter what the enemy was doing, just stack orbs until late late game when I started making YouTube builds. I'm grateful for the patches (or DLC?) that let you dial the difficulty sliders back. The free QoL updates to XB2 were expansive and impressive.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Special points to Sharla and Riki; you could remove them from the entire game and you wouldn't even notice.
lol it's true. Upon replaying the game via remaster, it's clear that XB1's characters are by far its weakest point and that the characters in XB2 are far better. Not even sure you can give XB1 a "well at least its designs are better" with most of the outfits for Sharla and Seven being complete garbage. At least there's no Dahlia, I guess.

Favio Bolo

Banned
Aug 17, 2020
i hated with passion the field skill system and they could have been more generous with the blades %drop since it's a single player game, but everything else was great

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Xenoblade Chronicles was absolutely engaging, Future Connected was the underwhelming experience.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lol it's true. Upon replaying the game via remaster, it's clear that XB1's characters are by far its weakest point and that the characters in XB2 are far better. Not even sure you can give XB1 a "well at least its designs are better" with most of the outfits for Sharla and Seven being complete garbage. At least there's no Dahlia, I guess.
I think a lot of this is because the narrative of XC1 is heavily about Shulk, he's indisputably the main character and the center of the plot, and everyone else is there to further his motivation or growth, largely at the expense of their own. XC2 seems to have been written with the ensemble cast more as a priority, and I would argue that Pyra/Mythra are the central characters rather than Rex, who is more the Nick Caraway to their Jay Gatsby. They, along with the Torna characters, are who really drive the story and who the story feels about.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Fun game. Issues galore that many have already said in this post, but the combat stands out to me as the most satisfying JRPG combat I've played. XC1 is fun, don't get me wrong, but by the late-game it starts being less satisfying. There's a finer line between tough and easy in XC1 compared to XC2, in my opinion. Not played X though, and I love build variety so I'd anticipate loving XCX's combat more. Turn-based stuff has dropped off a cliff for me excluding a few ones like Octopath.

Damage sponginess I'm never against personally (complicated reasons), but I was super happy to see the in-depth difficulty adjustments they added to 2. XC1's remaster was helped boatloads with Expert Mode, should be in every single RPG out there imo. Screw overlevelling and screw skipping content to have a challenge.

Also that Ost. Don't forget me!

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Have fun with Torna cowbanana !!
I WISH the gameplay for the base game was based on Torna's style. Dx

Because they love the series; just sometimes parts of games aren't good.

Wow thrilled Emil is taking on XB2 (the XB1 playthrough was fantastic)!! He must have researched a lot. o_O

I still have really stark loves for some parts of the game as much as I hate (questionable designs and gameplay design choices), but it is lovely in certain parts. I don't love the game, it's my least favourite in the trilogy (XB1 had a neater/original story; XBX had significantly less restricted fields/movements), but it does some things quite alright that I hope it makes for a more polished game with whatever the next title is.
I don't even want to think about the time he spent on research.

What gameplay design choices are so bad to hate?
-You don't have to engage in the gacha thing (you don't even have to spend money on it, like in other titles).
-people said they didn't understand the battle mechanics. Yes, at first glance, it seems overwhelming, but I like some more complex stuff and I think it's really satisfying when you understood it
-the menus were also not 100% thought through, but again, not a deal breaker
-the field skills do not hinder you in the main story as long as you read about it in the tutorial and unlock skill throughout the game

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh no Sharla has a development.

She goes from lusting over Reyn's muscles as soon as she saw him, to remembering she was supposed to have a previous love interest, to "oh well, I guess it's just Reyn now".

The hate for Mythra's sleepwalking scene is incredibly funny when Sharla's entire arc in the first game is a pendulum between Gadot and Reyn because the plot demands it.

TBF no one cares about Sharla lol
She's literally the character they dump fanservice on and as a back-up character for harder battles. The girl is sorta the butt of the joke on most fronts.

XB2's battle system annoys me. The strategy is the same for mostly all tough fights and just changes based on accessories. I did not enjoy combat as much as I'd have hoped. Torna at least simplifies it so you don't have to micromanage a ton of gacha characters.

The cast is charming, is the best I'll say, and the dramatic/action-focused scenes are very well done.

XB1 has a much more grounded experience (literally too, since it's Titans are stationary). XB2 definitely pulls off "oppulence" with more extravagant scenes and polish (which makes sense being 7 years older), but if you don't mind that dialing back on the anime comedy routines and a much less complicated gameplay loop (easier traveling, leveling, less micromanaging and fewer characters to focus on) then it might be more up your alley.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
The most divisive game on Resetera.

I liked Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but with that said there were a hand-full of times I cringed so hard I literally had to put the game down.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles was absolutely engaging, Future Connected was the underwhelming experience.
Have to agree with this. Not even being Melia my favorite character could force me to continue playing Future Connected. Battle music is nice and I'm glad Melia takes charge of the plot. That's all could say about Future Connected.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I am a sucker for single players games with good osts and wide areas to run around in and take in the sites. Environmental design was also rather well done in my opinion. Lots of fun areas to explore with treasure scattered about to encourage exploration. Was my crack I would explore each area for hours looking for cool stuff.

character design wise I am hopeful they tighten things up by the next game. They had a lot of guests artists come in and contribute to the game and one of the only guests artists that felt like they were trying to not go too far was oddly enough Tetsuya Nomura. Everyone else had a big "horny on main" vibe going. I also think a redesign of Nia's highleg leotard outfit would be for the best. Even the game itself rarely used the outfit after you unlock it late into the game.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

-You don't have to engage in the gacha thing (you don't even have to spend money on it, like in other titles).
-people said they didn't understand the battle mechanics. Yes, at first glance, it seems overwhelming, but I like some more complex stuff and I think it's really satisfying when you understood it
-the field skills do not hinder you in the main story as long as you read about it in the tutorial and unlock skill throughout the game

Sorta answered these earlier, but real quick
I don't like the randomizer. Less is more to me. Half the rare blades are super sexulized which is also a turn off.

I liked the battle system up until the big ending areas -- the strategy stays the same for too many fights.

I liked it a lot in the middle of the game...! It's more about the speed you can build elemental combo to wreck enemies, and if you don't, most of them "rage" and start OHKO-ing you. :/
It's got a lot of layers, but the tactical element is the prep before the fight than the fight itself.

Not a deal breaker, but there is WAAAY too many characters to micromanage. Having to boot up the affinity screen (and without a shortcut button) was a lame way to lock skills (they should have been automatic).

Easy fix: You don't need to be reminded what the controls are for this game all the time. The directional buttons should have been shortcuts

They take way too long to get through, the amount of "field points" adds up between secret areas and just wanting to pick plants on the field. If you don't have the character, then into the menu you go to grab the "Pokemon" with the "HM" you need....then back once again to get rid of the crappy character you used for just this purpose. >_<

Have to agree with this. Not even being Melia my favorite character could force me to continue playing Future Connected. Battle music is nice and I'm glad Melia takes charge of the plot. That's all could say about Future Connected.

It wasn't that good (Torna is like a million times better; but I def feel I got what I paid for...literally). But honestly it was a really good bonus as far as utilizing dummied out content; and gave a fan favourite character some time to shine. It might not have added much, but I love that it was there all the same; the Bionis Shoulder was an incredible area that we otherwise stayed hidden till now.

Last edited:

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I think a lot of this is because the narrative of XC1 is heavily about Shulk, he's indisputably the main character and the center of the plot, and everyone else is there to further his motivation or growth, largely at the expense of their own. XC2 seems to have been written with the ensemble cast more as a priority, and I would argue that Pyra/Mythra are the central characters rather than Rex, who is more the Nick Caraway to their Jay Gatsby. They, along with the Torna characters, are who really drive the story and who the story feels about.
Yeah I agree with this as well. Another thing I like is that the non-central characters in XB2's cast had their own stakes in the story fleshed out and revealed over time. I think they pretty much delivered most of the XC1 cast to you upfront when they joined the party and they just sorta hung around just because, Melia probably being the one exception.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
What frustrates me about Xenoblade 2 is how relentlessly cynical its design is. Anime tropes aren't bad in a vacuum (games such as Persona 4 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses both take anime tropes in compelling directions), but stuff such as the sleepwalking scene, blushy-crushy (Seriously, from this and the blade designs, did this game have zero quality control?) and the ending makes it so incredibly clear that the priority was to pander to otaku, even at the cost of making a good game.

It isn't even like Sonic 06 where the game was crushed under the weight of its own ambition. Rather, Xenoblade 2 would end up being mediocre at best even if Monolith Soft was given 10 years and a budget of a billion dollars to work with.

As such, despite some isolated flashes of brilliance, Xenoblade 2 is a game that is far, far less than the sum of its parts - which was mediocre at best to begin with.

You both hit the nail on the head. This game made me lose almost all my respect for Takahashi.
Yeah, I couldn't get past the terrible design. Couple that with pretty bad performance on the handheld, the mentioned convoluted system, gating field access behind particular blades which are acquired in a gatcha system (in a game without MTX, why???) and a bad map. The story was also sophomoric and the writing wasn't particularly great, at least the first 10-15 hours I managed to force myself to play this in the hopes it would get better. Just terrible effort all throughout, and I am absolutely puzzled that people find this game any good. I guess different strokes for different folks and all.

It was terribly disappointed after XB1, and even XBX was still better despite its many faults. Triple Meh with a Meh Squared on top. Here is a Meh cat just to show how meh I found the game:

ePXqC9PP50rUKVeo4IeYzhuVQkdcmz1u68XPDglo8zmOy4dvXTSvXFKP66e9ufM1zg5QzAvRsq3Y-m18IP5uNGc8pA_TcDzQSmKILW7B5r9Qrdoth8GQBM9HulwOk7u8QKCgOIB2FfbUsLdPRMNvzuoFg4mCGf-khCE

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
The locations felt like a step back from X and even the original, but the game is one I had a bloody good time with. Loved the cast and hope the series continues in this direction.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

This is a game with no option to look back at tutorials, they didn't give an update patch with a tutorial option.

This game throws so many mechanics at you yet there's no way to revisit them when you're more familiar with the game?

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely can say that XC2 is my favorite Xenoblade game and loved the 100 hour ride I was part of. OST is banging as expected too.

But...

Is it that hard to give Rex some proper pants? Couldn't even do it for the DLC like they did with Pyra? The onesie was a permanent bother.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
What I do like about the Xenoblade games is the genuinely fun and fantastical worlds to explore- they make a change from the usual rural villages and dour cities. Xenoblade X was one of the few sci-fi games that had an alien world that really felt like alien wilderness rather than a blasted rockscape.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
One of my favorite games ever, fucking 10/10 for me.

I don't talk about it on Era much because the community just shits on it and anyone who likes it again and again. I see someone called it the most divisive game on Era, and it might actually be true. It's insane the amount of attention this game continue to get in every thread in the community.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the battle system, music, and exploration. The battle system does feel clumsy until you have enough blades to cover most combos and elements but after it starts rolling it feels very satisfying. I enjoyed the gacha. I like rolling, I just hate spending money on it.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Sorta answered these earlier, but real quick
I don't like the randomizer. Less is more to me. Half the rare blades are super sexulized which is also a turn off.

I liked the battle system up until the big ending areas -- the strategy stays the same for too many fights.

I liked it a lot in the middle of the game...! It's more about the speed you can build elemental combo to wreck enemies, and if you don't, most of them "rage" and start OHKO-ing you. :/
It's got a lot of layers, but the tactical element is the prep before the fight than the fight itself.

Not a deal breaker, but there is WAAAY too many characters to micromanage. Having to boot up the affinity screen (and without a shortcut button) was a lame way to lock skills (they should have been automatic).

Easy fix: You don't need to be reminded what the controls are for this game all the time. The directional buttons should have been shortcuts

They take way too long to get through, the amount of "field points" adds up between secret areas and just wanting to pick plants on the field. If you don't have the character, then into the menu you go to grab the "Pokemon" with the "HM" you need....then back once again to get rid of the crappy character you used for just this purpose. >_<
Wow, you put much effort in your answers. To not waste your time much longer, I can only say that

- The radomizer doesn't bother me that much and I don't have the urge to collect all blades.

- Yes the preparation, ie. the choice of characters and blades is the most important part. Still, the battles have kind of a rhythm to me. Pushing the buttons at the right time, smashing the b-button. Breaking the orbs one after the other... I just like the flow of this combat.

- Monolith Soft has to put more effort in UI design. That is certainly true.

- The field skills take to much time and it is annoying that you have to select the blades manually onto your party. We agree on that 100%.

In conclusion, the negative points doesn't bother me that much as you and I get more satisfaction from the combat.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 Week): Metacommentary. Dismissing sexualization of women and minors as "harmless"
One of my favorite games ever, fucking 10/10 for me.

I don't talk about it on Era much because the community just shits on it and anyone who likes it again and again. I see someone called it the most divisive game on Era, and it might actually be true. It's insane the amount of attention this game continue to get in every thread in the community.

Pretty much my thoughts as well (though I wouldn't call it one of my favorites).

But yeah, if this game wasn't a major mainstream Nintendo release, I have a feeling the sheer amount of pressure from most of the community here would end up getting this harmless Nintendo game aimed towards teenagers, on ERA's banned games list.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
This is a game with no option to look back at tutorials, they didn't give an update patch with a tutorial option.

This game throws so many mechanics at you yet there's no way to revisit them when you're more familiar with the game?
It was a big mistake to not put the tutorials in the options. I remember to have looked once at the OT here, because I didn't understand a mechanic.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I will just state, I enjoyed xc2 over 1. I hope an upgraded switch will run the game at a stable higher resolution and fps.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Pretty much my thoughts as well (though I wouldn't call it one of my favorites).

But yeah, if this game wasn't a major mainstream Nintendo release, I have a feeling the sheer amount of pressure from most of the community here would end up getting this harmless Nintendo game aimed towards teenagers, on ERA's banned games list.
I actually don't think it is the majority, just some members who can't let it go after three years.

Last edited: