• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
I recently played The New Order, and The New Colossus. But this thread is definitely gonna focus on Wolfenstein II more.

The New Order
It was very good. Definitely stands head and shoulders above the majority of modern shooters, and I get why people talk about how unexpectedly good it was. The weapons are all fun to use, and sound good and punchy, the soundtrack is rock solid, and there are CERTAIN moments in the story that were neat. I'd say my main gripes were a lot of the bullet sponge enemies, the way picking up items is handled, and hitscan enemies. It's odd that TNO tends to make running and gunning the not-optimal way to play a surprising amount of time, considering the tools the game gives you that might encourage that.

I also wasn't a big fan of the story (Yeah, sue me). Most of the characters were severely underdeveloped, and had minimal screentime. There were certainly some good moments in it, like the asylum scene, but most of the shit that went down didn't stick with me very much.

But overall, I'd say that TNO is a solid 7.5, or 8/10 or so. And my retrospective GOTY for 2014, but I haven't played Shadow of Mordor, or Dragon Age Inquisition yet, so that could change.

The New Colossus
Now onto The New Colossus... I'm honestly quite shocked at the amounts of hate that this game gets for the gameplay. Everyone talks about how you can't run and gun above normal, which I say is a load of shit, since I played on Do or Die, and was able to run and gun nearly all of the time, save for one or so exceptions. It definitely wasn't quite the same as DOOM run and gun though, since Wolf 2's run and gun is definitely more about sprinting around throughout the arena to either get a better angle on enemies, or to grab some stuff when your health is knocked down. Not so much about crouching behind a box, and then leaning up to take potshots as I was told.

I gotta ask, were the people that were complaining about this game playing on Console? Because thinking about it, that's the biggest explanation I can think of for why the gameplay is so heavily criticized. Picking up things on the ground with a mouse and keyboard would be easy, you can move, control the camera, and pick things up at the same time, but on console, picking up things is relegated to square. I guess this is kind of a Max Payne 3 situation.

It's also like Max Payne 3 in the sense that the game puts a rather unnecessary amount of emphasis on story, despite neither of those two being particularly great. I appreciate cutscenes being fully skippable, but I'm also not a big fan of just being stuck in first person, unable to do anything except watch. My opinion on the story of TNC isn't all that different from TNO. Neither of the two games had very good stories. But they did have some cool moments. I get the distinct impression that this is also a case of "Game story being praised, because our standards for good writing in this medium is comically low". Then again, I really like Danganronpa, so who the fuck am I to speak?

The gameplay is what kept me going in TNC, because good lord, this game was so much more fun than it deserved to be. Dashing around levels, killing anyone that got in my way, every single shootout was like a game of cat and mouse, with moments where I was just getting up in the enemies face with shotguns, and strafing with ARs and SMGs, and other moments having me scrambling to dash into a room with supplies in it so I could retaliate. Sadly, while the hitscan, and the "Hit button to pick up shit" wasn't fixed (Although you could auto-pick up some things in this game, the hitbox/window for it was fairly small), it was swiftly made up for it by the fun weapons. Also, most of the spongey enemies have been toned down, which is also good, and keeps up the hectic pace of combat. If there was one thing that was a downgrade for sure, it was weapon switching. For some reason, it takes forever to switch out to another weapon. It doesn't need to be as fast as DOOM, but when I've run out of ammo for one weapon, I'd appreciate the ability to get back into the thick of things quicker.

Like The New Order, the weapons are a ton of fun to use. The SMG, the assault rifles, the grenade launcher, the Dieselkraftwerk, and the shotgun all saw regular use (Notice I left out the pistol) on my part, and I can't really pick a favourite. I mainly used the Nailgun SMG and the Rifles for Ubersoldaten (On semi-automatic mode, it will absolutely shred them so as long as you keep on the head) and standard nazis from all ranges, the Dieselkraftwerk and grenade launcher for traps, and the shotguns for raw damage, when I needed to just kill enemies in one shot, and keep going. Or more often, whenever I just felt like it, which was a lot.

While TNC definitely has it's flaws, I'd consider it an overall improvement in terms of combat, and an absolute truckload of consistently high-octane fun. Really looking forward to what MachineGames has in store for Wolfenstein 3. TNC gets a 9/10 from me.

Also, the courthouse battle was fucking awesome. Fight me.

Both are supremely fun games, highly recommended. Definitely gotta try out the Old Blood at some point. I might try out Youngblood once I see how the patches have changed it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Too much hub world. Terribly balanced. Still a good game but a step back from The New Order for me.

edit: also, just want to say....fuck the courthouse level.

Last edited:

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I didn't hate it, but it was goofy af. The only level I didn't like was that level that is just a figment of the MC's imagination. The Halls of Congress or something like that. I played the game on the hardest difficulty for a first playthrough and holy Hannah is that level hair-pulling frustrating. Then again it was my fault for playing it on a high difficulty.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
For me, it was the tonal shift. TNO managed to tell a surprisingly human story about war, PTSD and its toll on people, while being a very competent shooter.

TNC was very unfocused in comparison, the story was wayyy over the top (even though TNO already had a bunch of obviously over the top moments), the characters were cartoonish caricatures.
But most of all, TNC was boring. I don't know what changed, but I had to force myself to play, which never happened with TNO. It was clearly a weaker game, in my opinion.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I didn't hate it. It just wasn't as good as the first one.

I expected it to be better than the first one which would make it a hell of a game. Instead it was... Fine.

There was some really weird change that everyone felt but didn't seem like it could be nailed down exactly what the issue was. It was some sort of group nebulous feeling. Like you could never tell how close to death you were or in some cases even that you've been hit. I wonder what happened there because that wasn't a problem in the first one.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
It's a fantastic game and I had absolutely zero issues on the hardest difficulty. I still don't get all the hate with it myself, but to each their own. Glad you liked it OP!

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
everything past the intro section was just me getting pummeled from god knows where and setting off alarms. i just couldn't take it anymore

i'll give it another shot someday i guess

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
It has significantly worse encounter and level design than TNO imo. As well as a lot of little things that make it lesser than its predecessor, like worse player hit feedback, the repetitive (optional) side missions, slightly less impactful gun feel, etc.. I think the story has some really memorable and fantastic scenes and moments, but as a whole the game is tonally all over the place. I still enjoyed it despite all that but I don't see myself ever going back to it, where as I've replayed TNO multiple times.

There's a part of me that thinks Machinegames still doesn't really know what they want to do with the franchise despite being like 4 games deep at this point, especially seeing what they did with Youngblood. Just enough elements came together with TNO to make it great and it feels they're having trouble recreating that or understanding why, and I don't really blame them considering how much better TNC scored with critics.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I loved it a lot and I thought the story was absolutely fantastic and one of the best story I've experienced. It dealt with America being founded on white supremacy, always being closely comfortable with nazi ideology and the context of racial passing of BJ (a Jewish man built like the ultimate Aryan template) and how it helped him as much as it destroyed him.

Brilliant game.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the story was pretty good in the first game, definitely above average. Haven't played the second one. The reviews have kept me away.

Oct 27, 2017
The game has issues for sure, but the endless negativity around here about the controls/encounter design/general shooting has always seemed hyperbolic to me. Reminiscent of complaints relating to the combat of the Witcher 3: somewhat flawed but solid, whereas posters on Era would have you believe it's wholly broken.

Anyway Colossus is a game with good writing, excellent performances, and some of the best cutscenes ever so I largely found it's storytelling strengths to elevate its somewhat pedestrian gameplay.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
With all complaints about combat design and difficulty I wonder if people should have just asked for easy mode?

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Played it on the hardest setting my first time through like a first person Metal Gear Solid game. I had a blast. Courthouse level was a welcome challenge and the change of pace really made me think of using all my tools and how to position myself

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Poor hit detection was my main gripe with the combat.

Although this could be mitigated somewhat by playing more cautiously.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I did not hate the game, I just found it not as good as the first one and It'S dlc.
The story was ok, but the Level Design was bad in my opinion.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For me what gave most trouble was Courthouse. Had to play it perfect in order to survive and learn spawns.

Final one was pretty easy to play around thanks to hard cover spots area has.
That's the thing I liked the Courthouse cause it felt like a mix of a frantic shooter / puzzle you had to learn where to position yourself and it was super satisfying to finally break out and get to a point where you could chokepoint them and clean up. The final fight wasnt harder it was a lot easier but the arena for the fight just wasnt anywhere near as fun to fight in despite being a similar set up to the courthouse with a twist.
You lost all credibility with this statement. There was nothing fun about the courthouse, I don't even understand how that level even got approved to be on the final version of the game.
Nah I agree with them as I said before I played through on the hardest setting damn near 90% of the time as a stealth game so I really enjoyed the pace change and puzzle element to learning how to tackle it. Not everyone wants to beat an encounter in a few tries specially on the hardest setting.

Keep in mind I'm coming at it from the pc version. I wouldnt have wanted to do that fight on a fucking controller lol

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Beat it on its highest diff on PS4. A miserable experience.

Beyond the shredding of your armor and health with any exposed body parts from some line of sight cover, the level layouts lacked the creativity of the first game.

Secrets were terrible, the first game often had lore or in-universe tangible justification for their hiding places. Discovery was a part of the experience as were the beneficial rewards for hunting them out. Clues scattered about, sconces that opened hidden alcoves with added world building. Etc...

New Collossus did none of that. Even the mere levels were straightforward slugfests with occasional pillars or chest walls. Open arenas abound. Stealth was even more straightforward than it already was before.

The biggest issue with the first game(tinny gun sounds and impact) still remained unfixed in the sequel. The animation impact of your dual whatever rarely was felt in both audio or visual feedback. Spongey unless playing in easy? feh.

It remains one of my largest disappointments this cycle.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game was a mess. It was really unbalanced, had hit detection issues, trash level design. They had to patch the game a lot to get it to be better and even then it pales compared to the prequel which already pales compared to the older Wolf games when it comes to gameplay and atmosphere.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I kind of liked it but mostly for the story and characters.
I fucking hated the courthouse and the final battle. And also hated the darkness, it was really annoying to navigate in the maps. Youngblood wanted to ape the shlooters games and was worse for it. But there are good games underneath the pile of bad ideas, I've no doubt Arkane of Machine Games will deliver a great fourth entry in the franchise.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The game wants you to play it like Doom or an old fashioned move and shoot FPS, but punishes you with instant death for doing anything other than using cover.

Damage and hit detection is poor to say the least. Most of the weapons and weapon options are useless against enemies.

And then there was the alarm system.

The story is self serving nonsense for the most part, more interested in congratulating itself for taking such a hard anti-nazi stance and taking its alternate world scenario too far than actually telling a meaningful story about resistance. Any interesting idea is never brought up again after the cutscene it's introduced.

Oct 28, 2019
It definitely was a good game with some issues. BJ feels fragile but the game encourages you to charge around gunfights. It also did a poor job letting you know where you were getting shot from. The story was a little extreme as well, I mean the first game was extreme as well but this one goes past the perfect level of cheese the first one had.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The game wants you to play it like Doom or an old fashioned move and shoot FPS, but punishes you with instant death for doing anything other than using cover.
Huh, this isnt true. If you want to play aggressive you don't just go full ham charging into dudes you need to be zipping all around

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The first game felt tightly designed, fun and fair.
The 2nd game didn't feel any of those.
And I heard Youngblood was kinda awful too. Way more so than New Collossus.

I have to wonder if that first game was just lightning striking just right and nothing else will reach those heights.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I never felt the first game was unfair.
The 2nd game just felt constantly unfair.
I felt the first game was sloppy in the ways I mentioned a few times, but I suppose it depends how you personally experienced the encounters and checkpoints. Other games like this did not present the same experience for me.

Huh, this isnt true.
That's an extreme take (instant death) but it is on the right track, imo.

The poor hit detection leads us to this point.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing TNC right now and my biggest problem is the tone of the story. It can go from being deadly serious one moment to trying to make an (often unfunny) joke the next. The characters are so over the top that I can't take anything or anyone seriously even when they are trying to be serious.

The gameplay is alright. You can run and gun, but the way health and the AI works, the best strategy is to usually find a bottle neck in the level and just stand there and mow enemies down as they run into the funnel.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Damage and hit detection is poor to say the least. Most of the weapons and weapon options are useless against enemies.

And then there was the alarm system.

The story is self serving nonsense for the most part, more interested in congratulating itself for taking such a hard anti-nazi stance and taking its alternate world scenario too far than actually telling a meaningful story about resistance.
That's a good way to sum up the way the game felt to me.

I can't for the life of me understand why they hell they keep forcingg the whole "press a button to pick ammo and health" shit. That one of the biggest issues I have with the reboot series. It makes the whole thing so daamn clunky.

Agreed on the alarms as well. This gameplay loop was already getting boring in the first game due to how samey it makes everything feel. Now it is just boring and makes the encounters predictable.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
In addition to everything everyone has already said about TNC being a bad FPS game, I don't even get why the story gets so much praise. TNO struck a perfect balance between taking itself seriously while also having fun with the ridiculousness of its setting (nazi moon base). TNC goes completely over the top and turns every character into an obnoxious caricature that you can't take seriously, even the villains. Compare Eva Braun in the train scene in the first game to literally any scene she's in in the second game to see what I mean. She goes from being a terrifying Nazi to a cartoon villain that makes dumb fat jokes.

Also TNC's ending was flat out embarrassing. TNO is one of the few FPS games to have a fulfilling final boss and they didn't even try for the sequel. What the hell happened?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You can run and gun on max difficulty. Some players are good enough to do this despite the poor hit detection making it less than ideally designed.

PARANOiA

Oct 25, 2017
The game has issues for sure, but the endless negativity around here about the controls/encounter design/general shooting has always seemed hyperbolic to me. Reminiscent of complaints relating to the combat of the Witcher 3: somewhat flawed but solid, whereas posters on Era would have you believe it's wholly broken.

Anyway Colossus is a game with good writing, excellent performances, and some of the best cutscenes ever so I largely found it's storytelling strengths to elevate its somewhat pedestrian gameplay.
Completely agree.

Loved the game. I beat it recently after struggling with TNO. I struggled in TNO with constant bottlenecks, forced stealth, terrible checkpoints that made me repeat encounters a. dozen times.

TNC had none of the gameplay issues I had with TNO ... I always felt like I was evenly matched with powerful does.

The tone of the game - unabashedly anti white supremacy , treating the KKK as actual Nazis, showing the race struggle as constantly fighting the same fight before and after WW2... It was very bold and making a statement.

I even loved the camp. I laughed a lot playing this.

This is one of those that I just didn't gel with either reviewers or the community consensus. I wish there were more great fps campaigns, and this is up there for me with the best of the decade. Give it a go if you've been on the fence.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It just has bad level design and the alarm system is shit because theres not enough feedback on being in a line of sight.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I thought it was great too, and combat-wise an improvement over TNO. I played on PC, hard difficulty and run and gunned the whole way through. Combat was so visceral and satisfying with noticeably better feedback and animations than TNO. Level design could be confusing and AI inconsistent but problems were way overblown.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
In addition to everything everyone has already said about TNC being a bad FPS game, I don't even get why the story gets so much praise. TNO struck a perfect balance between taking itself seriously while also having fun with the ridiculousness of its setting (nazi moon base). TNC goes completely over the top and turns every character into an obnoxious caricature that you can't take seriously, even the villains. Compare Eva Braun in the train scene in the first game to literally any scene she's in in the second game to see what I mean. She goes from being a terrifying Nazi to a cartoon villain that makes dumb fat jokes.

Also TNC's ending was flat out embarrassing. TNO is one of the few FPS games to have a fulfilling final boss and they didn't even try for the sequel. What the hell happened?
You forgot the part she holds a baby by the foot like she's seen a monster? Or how she attacks you with hallf her head chopped off

People really be making shit up about TNC by pretending none of that was in TNO..crazy