• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Wolfenstein: The New Order was a damn near perfect shooter for me. The Old Blood was also excellent. But this game? Oh man.

I finished the campaign and pretty much everything else in the main game and can safely say it was a terrible, uninspired mess. I'll list out my main gripes:

* Awful story with extremely poor pacing.
* Awful characters and dialogue.
* Terrible level design through and through that feels like it was done by unpaid interns.
* Near-broken stealth mechanics.
* Several unexplained crashes upon finishing levels.
* "Side quests" that serve nothing but to detract from an already poor main quest. Some can literally be completed in less than 30 seconds.
* A gazillion collectibles that serve absolutely no purpose.

After the tight and excellently paced New Order/Old Blood, this game is all over the place, and I still have no idea what it was trying to do. The only remotely redeeming quality was the moment-to-moment gunplay. Everything besides that was just mediocre at best.

Such a shame what they did to this game. I feel like I'm no longer interested in what MachineGames does next. I know Youngblood came and went, and at this point I'm not sure if I will ever touch it.

Also, I have the season pass so I'd like to hear some opinions on the DLC. I don't know if I should bother but if it's truly good, I just might.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played this on release day. I set the difficulty to match my New Order playthrough (which I just loved) and I died over and over again in the opening areas. Kept getting shot by enemies I didn't see, couldn't tell which direction the gunfire was coming from, and the bullet damage was way too high. It didn't feel like a game from the same developers as The New Order and I put it aside.

I keep wanting to try it again to see if I was just having a bad day or something but there are other games to play.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, I actually enjoyed it for what it was. For $40 total I got the deluxe edition with buddy pass and me and the wife played through it together with our two switches. It's not even close to as good as the previous games, but we had a good time blasting through it. Did mostly all of the sidequests and beat the main story. Definitely needed some more story beats to keep the pace going and the areas should've been a bit more distinct and diverse, but for what essentially was a 20 bucks pp co-op experience, I don't regret my time with it.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
The New Order was such a pleasant surprise, but each new game since has been worse than the previous game.

I was shocked at how poor the level design and stealth in Wolfenstein II were, given that in The New Order everything seemed tailor-made for sneaking and exploring and then would flow naturally into heavy gunplay. The levels in Wolf 2 seemed designed solely around combat, but at the same time they made that aspect of the game much less enjoyable as well. I forgave The Old Blood's shortcomings because it wasn't a full sequel, but I had much higher expectations for this.

It didn't feel like a game from the same developers as The New Order and I put it aside.

It felt a lot like what happened with their predecessor Starbreeze between Riddick: Butcher Bay and Dark Athena. DA was also such a stunningly lesser game in nearly all respects that it was hard to believe the same people put it out. Wolf 2 really reminded me of that game for all of the wrong reasons.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with everything you said, OP. Such disappointment after The New Order. I don't understand how in the hell this game sits at 86 on opencritic.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I played The New Order a few weeks before The New Colossus released, nowhere near as enjoyable as The New Order for me.
I think people got a little carried away with the review scores after The New Order flew under the radar. I hated the submarine hub, just a big bland maze and the twist in the story was silly.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I disagree with your first two points, and I don't recall having many issues with the stealth mechanics, but as for the rest... yeah. And I can't even give it points for gunplay myself. The combat was clunky and many enemies just weren't particularly fun to fight.

It should have taken a couple lessons from DOOM 2016. Wolfenstein and DOOM aren't the same kind of FPS (stealth is in Wolfenstein's DNA, even in an extremely limited capacity in Wolf 3D), but that doesn't mean it has to be awkward in combat. If they want to present dual-wield guns blazing as a viable playstyle, then BJ should be able move at a decent speed without sprinting, and enemies shouldn't be deadass accurate, with several unstaggerable bullet-sponge types, and foot soldiers that often blend into the backgrounds.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I liked it a lot on release, but in retrospect I've really cooled on it. It ends abruptly, and the whole
BJ's head on a Nazi body thing
is really uncomfortable with how seriously they're trying to take the rest of the story, particularly BJ's pathos and his relationship with Anya.

Don't even bother with Youngblood. You constantly have to revisit levels and all the enemies are total bullet sponges even after updates that were supposed to rebalance this.

Oct 29, 2017
totally agree. They completely fucked up what made TNO such a great game. Also, the level design is complete shit in this game as well and going back to play them for the bounty side missions just drives home this fact.

Oct 26, 2017
The reviews for this game are so bad.

I can't think how you can score this game higher than The New Order with worse level design, unbalanced difficulties and broken ass stealth and on top of that a total lack of boss fights, i guess the story and the "fuck the nazis" message was good enough and everyone overlooked the rest of the game and gave high scores.

This game was a 88 or 89 on MC, that's so high.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
* Awful story with extremely poor pacing.
* Awful characters and dialogue

Wholeheartedly disagree. Some of the best in recent years.

The other issues are stuff that's just marginally worse than the previous game to where it's only slightly lesser, but overall a lateral shift.

I can't think how you can score this game higher than The New Order with worse level design, unbalanced difficulties and broken ass stealth and on top of that a total lack of boss fights, i guess the story and the "fuck the nazis" message was good enough and everyone overlooked the rest of the game and scored highly.

I mean, it's a really good "fuck the nazis" message. Can't think of much nazi-related media in general that takes such a hard, scathing stance on American racism and how it would rear its head in such a circumstance.

I get annoyance at issues being glossed over, but there are a lot of games in which I know I value their thematic elements more than I am bothered by their gameplay shortcomings. Guessing it was the same for a reviewers.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, The New Order is possibly my favorite shooter of the gen. I was very hyped for The New Colossus and almost immediately disliked it. The level design is a huge regression. It makes absolutely no sense that the game takes place in so many cool places geographically, yet the actual playing levels are almost always industrial corridors. The worst is when the mission starts in a proper town with npc's, but the actual combat only kicks off when you're once again in some underground facility.

The gunplay itself is good, but not the encounter design. The whole "half health" gimmick lasts too long, it's hard to tell when you're taking damage, and you simply die too quickly. BJ moves as quick as the Doomguy, has similiarly punchy weapons yet the game expects you to play slow and utilize cover if you play on difficulty above normal. It just doesn't feel right at all. Oh, and the hub layout sucks compared to TNO's.

There were some good moments in the story, like the Hitler sequence. But most of it? Just plodding filler. It actually ends just when it's about to get somewhat interesting. TNO was very over the top, and it was great for that, but TNC takes it so far at times that it's actually hard to take the more serious moments in the story seriously.

And seriously, what happened to the boss fights?

Oct 27, 2017
I love the story of New Colossus but I agree with you on everything else.

I beat The New Order and Old Blood on Uber with ease and this game is damn near impossible on higher difficulties. The shooting is somehow worse with more inaccurate weapons and the level variety was lacking as well.

Machine games needs to figure out how to fix those missteps and create a better trophy list while they're at it for the 3rd game in the trilogy.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Liked it enough to Platinum it, but yeah, oddly paced game and at times mediocre.

Though BJs "Mom, I don't want to go back out there" is amazingly acted and one of my favourite scenes in gaming. Heartbreaking.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm with you there, OP. Wolfenstein TNO was my game of the year. I was incredibly hyped for TNC, but it ended up being a garbage tier game, with mediocre gameplay, terrible pacing, memey humor that was closer to Borderlands than TNO, and every attempt at dramatic moment fell completely flat.
Ended up dropping the game 2/3 through, never came back to the franchise.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
A lot can be said about it, but I also do not like TNC as much as TNO - and I have not gone back to beat it multiple times as I did with TNO and The Old Blood.
THere is something done in the base combat of the game that made the act of shooting enemies itself less satisfying - whether that is how the gun animates on the screen, how audio feedback is handled, or how turning the character and screen is that made it just less satisfying. I wish it were different as there are some beats in the TNC story that I really like (I like the whole beheading thing, and I also like that you are weaker at the start).

Compare the LaserKraftwerk and its upgrading system and how it shoots, animates, and does damage vs. how that is in TNC. It is a complete regression!

In general though - the game's change in setting I feel made it less interesting unfortunately. Or at least, the way the setting is used it in its missions. We already have a lot of games set in the u.s. - wolf being set in all these different areas of Europe that are rarely shown in games was incredibly interesting. Also its great handling of various languages, cultures, etc.

And on a side note, as a German speaker I did even notice that some things were done differently in the second game regarding the way lore is presented. In TNC, there is less side material actually present in German or other langauges. Rather it is all in English. In TNO, all the news paper clippings, the side audio you could listen to, etc. was in the languages that the characters would speak with the english presented as subtitles or text right next to it. Not sure why they changed that design, as the way TNO did it was IMO, more respectful to the various languages present in the world of the game.

EDIT:

Like seriously, boot up the game and compare the audio and weapon animation for the pistol or assault rifle in both games and you will be horribly disappointed in TNC vs. TNO. I have no idea how they messed that up.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
The story, dialogue, characters, and locales still entertained me

it was the horrificcombat, barebones stealth over and over again that made it awful to play

just slap dooms combat with wolfensteins story and aestethic and it's perfect

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I agree about the gameplay overall, but I enjoyed the story and Characters just as much as in the first one.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Liked it enough to Platinum it

gdly8ahjk6wz.jpg

69759.jpeg

giphy.gif

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Totally agree with OP here. TNO was fantastic, and I came to TNC uber excited, but after I finished the game, all I felt was disappointment.

I still have nightmares about that Court/Trial level. It was awful

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
After how good TNO and TOB were I really had high expectations for WF2 and my god was it a disappointment. What I didn't expect was the deterioration of the gunplay, they had nailed them on the previous games so I don't understand what the fuck happened. Hit feedback was so awful, you were getting shot and couldn't tell from where it was coming, half the game you played with 50% hp so 1 hit and you were dead. What a frustrating game. Combine that with a cheesy as hell story, cutscenes that went forever, stealth sections shoved down your throat and one of the worst levels I can remember this generation (the court) and we have a severe disappointment. How this game got so high metacritic scores I will never understand.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really enjoyed The New Order. Solid fun single player FPS.
The New Colossus was a huge disappointment for me. Gameplay and level design seemed to be a huge step down and I found the story to also be a pretty big step down aside from the section when you're captured.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I really liked the story and characters but the gameplay and guns just didn't feel right as it did with the first one, the game also ends abruptly when it feels like you're half way through. Like you get to choose a couple wacky abilities right near the end of the game, I don't think I've ever used them in that short period of time.

I also had a bone to pick with the awful map and level design, no clue what happened there.

Was hoping the expansions would add some more game time and picks up after the end and whole revolution speech but that turned out to be just some pick a dude from a list and hunt him.

May 17, 2018
Yep, I feel like the story got a pass because it did like, 2 or 3 wild-ass specific and memorable scenes, but, it's all just so, SO inconsistent.

Also, like, what the hell, this is goddamn WOLFENSTEIN. How did they get the shooting so wrong with this franchise of all franchises?

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
It has so many cringeworthy moments I had to force myself to continue playing.

Ps: If you think New Colossus is bad, don't even try YoungBlood

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I dunno, I played TNO (Xbox) and I got bored within 2-3 hours. Felt rote to me.

I played 2 on Switch, and I got really into it.
Completed the game and enjoyed the ride. Motion controls were great too. Just felt so over the top but in the right way.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
The New Order was such a pleasant surprise, but each new game since has been worse than the previous game.

I was shocked at how poor the level design and stealth in Wolfenstein II were, given that in The New Order everything seemed tailor-made for sneaking and exploring and then would flow naturally into heavy gunplay. The levels in Wolf 2 seemed designed solely around combat, but at the same time they made that aspect of the game much less enjoyable as well. I forgave The Old Blood's shortcomings because it wasn't a full sequel, but I had much higher expectations for this.

It felt a lot like what happened with their predecessor Starbreeze between Riddick: Butcher Bay and Dark Athena. DA was also such a stunningly lesser game in nearly all respects that it was hard to believe the same people put it out. Wolf 2 really reminded me of that game for all of the wrong reasons.

Holy shit, that IS a great analogy!

Yeah, I immensely respect New Colossus for just throwing shit at the wall (and some of it sticks pretty amazingly)...but it still lost control of the tone that New Order and Old Blood perfected.
Also, waaay too many collectibles trying to pad a the SP only experience.
Oh and the ending song... You know the one, is fucking awful and doesn't work at all.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017

I can't think how you can score this game higher than The New Order with worse level design, unbalanced difficulties and broken ass stealth and on top of that a total lack of boss fights, i guess the story and the "fuck the nazis" message was good enough and everyone overlooked the rest of the game and gave high scores.

This game was a 88 or 89 on MC, that's so high.
This too

And I've played thru New Colossus a few times, even doing all the bounty missions.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
A lot can be said about it, but I also do not like TNC as much as TNO - and I have not gone back to beat it multiple times as I did with TNO and The Old Blood.
THere is something done in the base combat of the game that made the act of shooting enemies itself less satisfying - whether that is how the gun animates on the screen, how audio feedback is handled, or how turning the character and screen is that made it just less satisfying. I wish it were different as there are some beats in the TNC story that I really like (I like the whole beheading thing, and I also like that you are weaker at the start).

Compare the LaserKraftwerk and its upgrading system and how it shoots, animates, and does damage vs. how that is in TNC. It is a complete regression!

In general though - the game's change in setting I feel made it less interesting unfortunately. Or at least, the way the setting is used it in its missions. We already have a lot of games set in the u.s. - wolf being set in all these different areas of Europe that are rarely shown in games was incredibly interesting. Also its great handling of various languages, cultures, etc.

And on a side note, as a German speaker I did even notice that some things were done differently in the second game regarding the way lore is presented. In TNC, there is less side material actually present in German or other langauges. Rather it is all in English. In TNO, all the news paper clippings, the side audio you could listen to, etc. was in the languages that the characters would speak with the english presented as subtitles or text right next to it. Not sure why they changed that design, as the way TNO did it was IMO, more respectful to the various languages present in the world of the game.

EDIT:

Like seriously, boot up the game and compare the audio and weapon animation for the pistol or assault rifle in both games and you will be horribly disappointed in TNC vs. TNO. I have no idea how they messed that up.

Sup Alex!

And yeah, this also mirrors my thoughts.

I'm an absolute MASSIVE Wolf fan and have been since I was a kiddo on my dad's of back in the early 90s.
TNC just FEELS fundementally "off" to play.
Like others have said, BJ moves like Doom guy, yet the player is expected to play the game like it's Rainbow Six Siege.... Unless you duel wield, then any threat just dissapears as l long as you hide at the end of a hallway.

Oct 31, 2017
Can I know what y'all saw in TNO? I was bored shitless and made it around 60% through. The pacing was the opposite of "excellent" and the gunplay was whatever

At least with Wolf 2 I enjoyed watching the cutscenes. TNO was a snoozefest outside of one or two instances

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
It really is an awful game. I genuinely hesitate to use this descriptor to a project that clearly a lot of effort and passion that went to it but after playing through it 3 times and considering it's a sequel to TNO & TOB, for me there are no two ways about it.

People already brought up the flaws in combat, encounters, level design, pacing...etc. in previous discussions here. I just want to stress something I noticed in my previous recent playthrough (this is on "Call me Terror Billy"), the AI is utterly fucking awful. They'll group in front of doors and get stuck in each other, they'll just randomly hang and stop functioning altogether out of nowhere, you can easily walk around a Nazi sitting in cover then shove an axe into his dumb face. Oh they have the aims of goddamned aimbots but are utterly inept in navigating the environment.

I am astounded at how poor it is. (On top of the game's many other issues)

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, it's an unworthy follow up to the genius that is TNO. I don't understand how MachineGames went from creating a Hall of Fame FPS to an extremely flawed, mediocre also-ran that does nearly everything worse than its predecessor. For one, I strongly suspect MG's budget was reduced compared to TNO.

It's a sad situation. I regarded MG as a top-tier developer, but after TNC I have no plans to touch Youngblood or the likely Wolf 3.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
New Colossus was too oldschool for its own good, felt like an FPS from mid 2000s

the story was ok, the characters memorable but all told in cutscenes is a bit of a bummer for an FPS

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
The story and characters were interesting. Everything else was lackluster

After a while I basically set it to easy mode as it was not very fun to fight against enemies. And just plowed through to get to the next cutscene.

I mean how hard was it to just improve on the TNO?

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
It really is an awful game. I genuinely hesitate to use this descriptor to a project that clearly a lot of effort and passion that went to it but after playing through it 3 times and considering it's a sequel to TNO & TOB, for me there are no two ways about it.

People already brought up the flaws in combat, encounters, level design, pacing...etc. in previous discussions here. I just want to stress something I noticed in my previous recent playthrough (this is on "Call me Terror Billy"), the AI is utterly fucking awful. They'll group in front of doors and get stuck in each other, they'll just randomly hang and stop functioning altogether out of nowhere, you can easily walk around a Nazi in cover then shove axe into his dumb face. Oh they have the aims of goddamned aimbots but are utterly inept in navigating the environment.

I am astounded at how poor it is. (On top of the game's many other issues)

Yeah, EVERY enemy in TNC has the aim of an Olympic sniper (and maintains accuracy while continuously strafing), which, utterly ruins any sense of an actual firefight (cause, you know, no one is that consistently accurate, especially not your average nazi soldat) . It's like playing CoD multiplayer where success is based on you seeing them first and that's it. You don't get to have an enjoyable trading of rounds and get that "entertainment, action movie experience/setpiece".

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The characters and story is nothing short of astounding. It's a worthy follow-up to TNO that adresses BJ's own shortcomings as a patriotic American and his legacy as a jewish man who looks like the perfect Aryan template.

I don't think a game handled a person's descent to darkness as BJ suffered all the way to the climax of the game. It was a dark spiral of misery and solitude. Suddenly the one-man army couldn't even lift his own self up. It was incredible.

And as for the gameplay I don't know. I liked it a lot like TNO. I never considered TNO to have stellar level design in the first place so it wasn't that different. But how the gunplay feels was sublime, the movements, the recoil, the enemy reactions, that was exhilarating. It only takes the fact that this game is *not* DOOM further. If you go guns blazing you will get blown out.

SmileBrandon

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
I mean, I actually enjoyed it for what it was. For $40 total I got the deluxe edition with buddy pass and me and the wife played through it together with our two switches. It's not even close to as good as the previous games, but we had a good time blasting through it. Did mostly all of the sidequests and beat the main story. Definitely needed some more story beats to keep the pace going and the areas should've been a bit more distinct and diverse, but for what essentially was a 20 bucks pp co-op experience, I don't regret my time with it.
He's not talking about Youngblood

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Can I know what y'all saw in TNO? I was bored shitless and made it around 60% through. The pacing was the opposite of "excellent" and the gunplay was whatever

At least with Wolf 2 I enjoyed watching the cutscenes. TNO was a snoozefest outside of one or two instances

TNO followed a very mediocre installment in a once-beloved franchise and I think nobody expected it to be anything special.
But then we got a game that did several things very right. It had: solid gunplay, great levels that allowed for a bit of nonlinearity or choosing whether you wanted to stealth through or go in gun blazing, a funny, touching and very human story that somehow managed to portray one of the worst trope characters in gaming as a PTSD-stricken wreck and even managed to pull off one of the more believable romances in video games, plus several great supporting characters.

TNC, by comparison, had almost none of that. Even the humor was much less funny to me (even though that's obviously subjective).

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
TNO followed a very mediocre installment in a once-beloved franchise and I think nobody expected it to be anything special.
But then we got a game that did several things very right. It had: solid gunplay, great levels that allowed for a bit of nonlinearity or choosing whether you wanted to stealth through or go in gun blazing, a funny, touching and very human story that somehow managed to portray one of the worst trope characters in gaming as a PTSD-stricken wreck and even managed to pull off one of the more believable romances in video games, plus several great supporting characters.

TNC, by comparison, had almost none of that. Even the humor was much less funny to me (even though that's obviously subjective).

Nailed it

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I was a huge fan of the original. Beat it twice and got all of the achivements.

Old blood was cool but wasnt as good.

Played new order finally with the xbox pass and...
Yeah. The pacing was atrocious, at the beginning you feel like you are soon are going to finish the game the way everyhting starts to ramp up before the trial. And thats the best the game can be, that and the
hitler director
scene.

Other than that incredibly inferior to the original, stealth that doesbt work as well, mission repeats dont know the fuck why, smaller setpieces with inferior surprises (the
venus
isntead of the moon retread was terrible, the moon moment in the original was magnificent, and here is just,
nazis is space, again...
i would have prefered a nazi los angeles conquest for that part, as visually it would have been more impactful).
And talking of visually new york idea is terrible and makes that level zero fun.
And the sub is too big for a hub world.

I did enjoy though the more positive and comedic BJ after he
is "resurrected",
the first part of the game is too dramatic in that sense, and i say that as someone who enjoyed a lot BJ PTSD character in the first one.

I really wanted to like the game but sadly it was a big dissapointment.

Last edited:

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I really don't know what happened here. If I had played Wolfenstein 2 blind and then you told me it was made by a completely different studio, I would've believed you. Like you mentioned in the OP, everything other than perhaps the audio visual presentation is a huge step down. The first game and its DLC had such amazing, hand-crafted feeling levels and such an endearing cast, and it was traded for some of the most lifeless environments and phoned-in rebel attitudes I can remember. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say the characters are "bad" this time around, but they are a lot less believable, relatable, and inspiring when compared to the first game's cast.

Even levels that I was super excited to see, like New York (which I was hoping to visit since it was first mentioned in a New Order text log) felt like the blandest, most basic "rubble" level imaginable. None of the character or scope of New York, no sense of life lost or any emotional payoff whatsoever. Just a bunch of burned out buildings, and other than featuring the Empire State Building, could have been any city anywhere in the world for all I could tell.

Game was definitely a big let down, and then when coupled with Youngblood I'm sadly inclined to think that MachineGames just got lucky the first time around, rather than landed on New Order by careful design. It sounds harsh, but I hope to be proven wrong in the future.

OP
OP
Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the story and characters, I see quite a few of you liked them better than I did. That's great. Unfortunately they were off-putting and just didn't it for me.

One of the first things I noticed. Still baffled how they managed to break that. TNO had outstanding audio design.