• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Not nearly enough Sarah Paulson!
It was really annoying how they got James McAvoy to keep doing his multiple personality bit in every single scene. That got old really fast.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Worst thing about the puddle was how strong he is, but he can't get a normal guy to stop drowning him. He flings people around like nothing in these movies but dude holds his head in puddle and he just dies, like he can't struggle anymore cause of water?

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
it was just... boring, in a way i couldn't have imagined, from the second they entered the hospital.

the thought of a secret society that just waits around for superheroes to pop up so they can kill them is just the dumbest thing i've ever heard of.

only thing that was cool was that it was shot 15 minutes from my house at allentown state hospital so it was neat seeing a local landmark on film.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it was just... boring, in a way i couldn't have imagined, from the second they entered the hospital.

the thought of a secret society that just waits around for superheroes to pop up so they can kill them is just the dumbest thing i've ever heard of.

only thing that was cool was that it was shot 15 minutes from my house at allentown state hospital so it was neat seeing a local landmark on film.
Or an embarrassing blight on the town

Oct 26, 2017
New York
After having some time to think about the film after my initial viewing, and barely being able to sit through it a second time, yeah I'd have to agree. It was a letdown.

It started off so strong too, with David fully accepting his hero role and having his son as a sidekick to guide him. We got the setup of Dunn looking for The Beast and the confrontation was incredibly satisfying.

But then the film does a complete 180 and tries to convince the main characters and the audience that these characters don't really have super powers? After two and 1/3 films showing that the theory is completely impossible?

Ridiculous.

What we were then left with was basically filler. The only character who we were given slightly more insight into was Crumb, and even then, we already got all the backstory we needed from the character in Split. Glass was M.I.A. for most of the film, and we didn't learn anything new or interesting from Dunn.

I thought the film might've redeemed itself with the third act it was setting up, but even that fell apart due to how unexcitingly everything played out.

Yes, the final fight taking place in the new building for everyone to see might've been too big in scale compared to the previous films, but at least it would've been fun. And the worst part is that we would've gotten the exact same ending had the finale gone down that route. The footage of the hero/villain battle on that scale, in front of everybody, would've been evidence enough that superpowers are real and likely would've inspired others to develop their abilities. Dunn, Crumb, and Glass could've still died, but at least it wouldn't have been in such a dull way that leaves the audience wondering wtf?

The secret society nonsense came out of nowhere and deflated the third act completely. You can't just throw in a new plot like that right at the end and have it be less satisfactory than the initial one you got the audience invested in.

The last scene was a nice, logical conclusion of the next generation being inspired to fulfill their roles, but again, the path to that point could've been handled much better.

Such a missed opportunity of a film.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
i lol'd so hard at elijah's mother's lines

"i think it's called the big showdown, from limited editions"

Oct 30, 2017
So here is how I think the story should have developed after Unbreakable. I'm a bit sick, so pardon my writing.

Split: The movie largely plays out like the one we got, but the second and third act is quite different. Ana Taylor's character gets rescued earlier. We also introduce a concept that the Beast is quite fragile in Kevin's mind and that he's struggling to keep him in control (goes both ways). Near the middle/end it is revealed that during one or more of the scenes where Kevin is out-and-about in the city, he has bumped into a certain someone who has been actively tracking him down during the course of the film.

We see a montage of how this plays out, gradually revealing that this person is in fact David Dunn and the film takes place in the Unbreakable universe. I actually did some tests at home to see if you could gradually morph the Split theme into the Unbreakable theme and there is potential there for something cool.

Anyway, David locates Kevin's lair and is attacked by the beast as he frees Ana Taylor's character. He fights the beast, but Kevin is slipping in and out of personalities as they do this. This leads to a very emotional fight where both fighters trade places being the powerful one. Picture a confused David suddenly breaking a stunned Patricia's arm, who then morphs into the beast who resets the arm again, and then morphs into a crying and very scared Hedwig. I picture this as one long take that sort of centers around Ana Taylor standing in the middle as these two super human beings clash around her, with the camera going in circles around her. Could be a great sequence if done right (the strangle scene in Unbreakable was one long take too).

This goes on for a while until the beast finally seemingly takes hold for good. David grapples him from behind to strangle him (his signature move). Just as the beast is starting to break lose, Ana Taylor's character screams Kevin's full name and Kevin's personality takes stage. A confused and upset Kevin "awakens" in a choke hold staring at a crying Ana Taylor saying "I'm sorry" to him as David finally strangles him to death. For this to work, the real Kevin would need to appear a few times earlier in the movie to set this up and give the scene some weight.

Ana Taylor ask David how he found her, and David explains that with certain people he "just knows". Ana is obviously very confused by all she's seen, but she has hope that she's found a savior in David to help her escape her abusive uncle. She grabs his hand and asks him if he knows anything about her, thinking his powers work on everyone. We see that David gets a mild blurry vision, but nothing concrete since she's the victim. "Like I said, certain people." and starts to leave. "What do I do now?" Ana says to him as he goes. "I'm not that good at this part, the part that comes after" and reluctantly walks away leaving a stunned and upset Ana Taylor behind alone in the lair.

Cut to a while later, Ana Taylor is at home with her uncle when the doorbell rings. She opens and is stunned to see David Dunn standing there. She is visibly upset, lots of emotions going through her. "What are you doing here?" David says he doesn't know, he just had a feeling. Ana Taylor gets angry at him and with a subdued voice (she doesn't want to alert her uncle) asks him why he left her alone etc. We hear the uncle calling from upstairs. "Who is it?" The uncle comes down the stairs and sees the two talking. "Who's your friend here?" he goes as he reaches out his hand to greet David. "Fred Warren, Ana's uncle."

David goes "David Dunn" as he grabs the uncles hand. "Nice to meet you".

CUT.TO.BLACK.

Ok, that final part was a bit cheesy, but I think everything up to that part is good. Glass should focus Ana Taylor and David working together in some capacity. She's the emotional counterpart to his brawn, the "part that comes after". We learn that David prevented Ana from killing her uncle, maybe she resents him for it? Ana Taylor learns about Glass from David and goes to see him at the mental institution. This sparks some sort of conflict where Glass manipulates Ana Taylor or uses her in some way. David abuses his powers in a way and swears to never use them again, gets depressed and Glass uses that against him. Not quite sure how this would play out, though.
I don't know if introducing and killing an in-universe character like the Beast in the span of one film is a good idea, unless you planned on only 2 films. I think introducing Dunn earlier in the film is an interesting concept. Hell, maybe just have Dunn and Kevin see the same therapist, that way you have a reason for Dunn "bumping into" Kevin and giving him the vision of the kidnappings.

If Dunn is introduced earlier, however, then Mr. Glass has to be alluded to as well. I never saw Glass the film and I know it's sort of a trope, but I'd be down for the reveal that Glass has orchestrated this entire thing and for that to be the stinger that ends Split before moving into Glass.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if introducing and killing an in-universe character like the Beast in the span of one film is a good idea, unless you planned on only 2 films. I think introducing Dunn earlier in the film is an interesting concept. Hell, maybe just have Dunn and Kevin see the same therapist, that way you have a reason for Dunn "bumping into" Kevin and giving him the vision of the kidnappings.

If Dunn is introduced earlier, however, then Mr. Glass has to be alluded to as well. I never saw Glass the film and I know it's sort of a trope, but I'd be down for the reveal that Glass has orchestrated this entire thing and for that to be the stinger that ends Split before moving into Glass.

I like your idea of Dunn and Kevin seeing the same therapist. It's neat, but very Shyamalan-y, too.

Kevin/The Beast serves to connect Ana Taylor's character who is a compliment to David in terms of her empathy, and to kick-start David's realization that he's not alone. I don't think the character is interesting enough to basically carry a third movie, so that's why I would have him as a "monster of the week" who sets off the next film. I also think it's a mistake to make Mr. Glass into some sort of super villain like Shyamalan did. Mr. Glass works best as a character that gives context to the happenings (heh) of the story.

I would rather have Glass be like a Hannibal Lecter character, who is both an adversary and an advisor. Having him "mentor" Ana Taylor's character as she dives deeper into this new world would be very interesting.

Hazard71

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel like I'm one of the only ones that liked it? It was great seeing all the characters back and overall I felt it worked well.

The ending is either a love it or hate it thing, however since this was the "end" of a trilogy it's not like you're going to see these characters again and it subverted the expectations that were put fourth from about every other comic book movie and how it'd play out. Instead of giving you the big showdown like most comic book movies would do it instead used that to bring fourth two new teams, a shady behind the scenes group that were stopping any and all people with powers and by sacrificing the characters it allowed them to bring fourth their loved ones who got the message out to the world so the idea of heroes (and villains) existing in real life wasn't hidden anymore.

It felt, to me, like closure and it felt like it fit.

Lots of people were just mad that they didn't have a huge fight and Bruce Willis didn't live.
Felt the same way.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I do think its strangely poetic that the last movie was so bad.
There has to be some sort of Shamylan Rule that can accurately predict whether his next project will be fantastic or straight to the DVD bin.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
The last fight was just pathetic. It's not the budget either. It just doesn't make sense. I don't want to bring myself to remember why but I just remember it was terrible.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
It was really confusing watching the movie because Shyamalan was in my city shooting scenes for this, but I didn't recognize anything in the movie itself.

Oct 30, 2017
I like your idea of Dunn and Kevin seeing the same therapist. It's neat, but very Shyamalan-y, too.

Kevin/The Beast serves to connect Ana Taylor's character who is a compliment to David in terms of her empathy, and to kick-start David's realization that he's not alone. I don't think the character is interesting enough to basically carry a third movie, so that's why I would have him as a "monster of the week" who sets off the next film. I also think it's a mistake to make Mr. Glass into some sort of super villain like Shyamalan did. Mr. Glass works best as a character that gives context to the happenings (heh) of the story.

I would rather have Glass be like a Hannibal Lecter character, who is both an adversary and an advisor. Having him "mentor" Ana Taylor's character as she dives deeper into this new world would be very interesting.

But isn't Glass only interested in individuals with potential superpowers? Did Ana's character have something in particular? I know in Split it's mentioned that her abuse and self-mutilation showed a flawed victim which is why the Beast spared her. She knew pain, essentially. But is that enough of a catalyst to have Mr. Glass take her on as the protege that Dunn refused to be?

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I enjoyed seeing it opening night, (luckily the theater was cheap and not crowded) and I knew all of the spoilers going in. A lot has been written so I'll just quickly say that I like the performances, the direction, the first half an hour and parts of the climax. The ending was too short and too long.
If it had ended just before the final scene the ambiguity would have let the audience imaginations run on what followed. Which would have been better than what was shown. It could be argued that it ended too soon and could we at least have gotten a glimpse of a few more "super humans" or world wide reactions?

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
But isn't Glass only interested in individuals with potential superpowers? Did Ana's character have something in particular? I know in Split it's mentioned that her abuse and self-mutilation showed a flawed victim which is why the Beast spared her. She knew pain, essentially. But is that enough of a catalyst to have Mr. Glass take her on as the protege that Dunn refused to be?

He would be using her to find more people like David.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this and what a train wreck(no pun intended).

How do you go from Split to this??

It was mostly ok up until the lame fight in the parking lot, the puddle scene as well as the big reveal of the Clover Society lol.

One of the most disappointing films I've ever seen.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
There's already another thread for this.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/glass-spoiler-thread.94804/

You just wanted to use that title to get attention.

It's hilarious with the hate... he doesn't spend that much money to make this series, but makes serious bank for the company. People keep coming back.

Hopefully this continues to be the case and he continues to make films like these three.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It was OK. I expected an absurd twist or subversion so I just enjoyed watching the characters interact while waiting for the story to take a swerve.

I enjoyed Glass just fine. Shyamalan was way too heavy handed with the themes of his story, and very, very self-indulgent, but we already knew he isn't a good writer. Glass is not good but it's reasonably entertaining.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Glass is a movie that spins its wheels for two hours - doing a poor job of entertaining a ridiculous premise that the audience already knows is false, before drowning a bored Bruce Willis in a puddle.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
In a way, it's impressive that Shyamalan parodied himself so effectively without even realising it. Even his cameo was made a cameo-within-a-cameo with that asinine and utterly unnecessary callback to the one in Unbreakable.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Huge disappointment, and the whole part where they're trying to convince us that the heroes don't have superpowers is insultingly dumb.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I was just waiting for the big showdown at the skyscraper.

Fuck you Shyamalan!🤣

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
And it's not the major story beats that I hated. It was getting to them. The most unbelievable parts are still him believing her bullshit and the horde believing it too.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Unbreakable maybe but Split is about on par re: nonsensical plot twists I'd say. Also directing-wise Glass has a pretty decent claim to being one of his best-looking flicks

hfCRPkg.png

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's Shamalalaalman. What do you expect.

Unbreakable was on ok movie coming off of Sixth Sense.

Split was heinously overrated and somehow everybody forgot the last 15+ years of absolute shite he'd put out and convinced themselves he'd make some kind of great trilogy. Nah fam

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do wish we'd seen them do more to gaslight David into believing it was all in his head. Stuff like giving him some weights that we would later learn were way heavier than their labels or something. As is it seems like his powers are so beyond doubt that I never believed anyone wouldn't believe in them once presented with a chance to test them.

I also never saw Split (horror isn't my jam), which probably made the experience worse.

It's way more of a psychological thriller than a horror movie.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder, if this movie was an attempt to bind of all shamalans movies into one universe.

But ya, I disliked it, the twist would've been cool if it were 2002. But it's 2018 in the movie, no one would give a shot and just say it's edited footage

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that problem with Glass is that it was just super unsatisfying. It started off with the whole "Omg this is cool, all these movies are coming together, how will these characters play off one another?!" Then the first half of the movie does absolutely nothing with this concept but revisit if they're real or not, which the audience knows is real.

The second half of the movie, Mr. Glass's plan was actually cool, we probably all would have liked to see it, but we ultimately aren't able to because the secret bad guys stop that from happening it, this sucks, even to the audience.

So we're left with this melancholy ending and it's like "eh, I guess that's fine?"

I feel like, this is a Superhero movie and nobody explained the rule of cool to MNS. Like the final fight was kinda cool, but even that was kinda constrained and felt held back vs Glass's vision of this grand melee the world watches and reacts to, instead we, the audience, are supposed to be the witnesses and react and it doesn't work because we've seen their feats before. The world finding out about it second hand at the end is just....ok?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I think that problem with Glass is that it was just super unsatisfying. It started off with the whole "Omg this is cool, all these movies are coming together, how will these characters play off one another?!" Then the first half of the movie does absolutely nothing with this concept but revisit if they're real or not, which the audience knows is real.

The second half of the movie, Mr. Glass's plan was actually cool, we probably all would have liked to see it, but we ultimately aren't able to because the secret bad guys stop that from happening it, this sucks, even to the audience.

So we're left with this melancholy ending and it's like "eh, I guess that's fine?"

I feel like, this is a Superhero movie and nobody explained the rule of cool to MNS. Like the final fight was kinda cool, but even that was kinda constrained and felt held back vs Glass's vision of this grand melee the world watches and reacts to, instead we, the audience, are supposed to be the witnesses and react and it doesn't work because we've seen their feats before. The world finding out about it second hand at the end is just....ok?

Mr. Glass plan played out exactly the way he wanted. He knew they'd never get the glass tower and thus he made it obvious to Staples that was his plan. MNS was never going to let this play out like a typical SH movie.

And in the end Glass got exactly what he wanted.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Buncha crybabies in this thread.

Be thankful Lord Sham didn't grace us with a Lady In The Water Trilogy.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't watch it, not gonna, but the Slate spoiler podcast lamented how it took Samuel L. Jackson, one of the great "movie talkers," and had him sitting silent and drooling in a chair for most of the film.