• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Obviously spoilers ahead. Seriously? I went and played it for the first time this week. The game is twisted for sure with some extremely hateable villains and the story conveys that. Whether it's done well or too explicitly or not is up for debate but the game got me invested in the characters only to have one of the most hateable villains I've ever seen in a video game be right about the whole prophecy thing? Montana and presumably the whole world is now a nuclear hellscape with me and Seed himself stuck in a bunker. AND I DON'T GET TO AXE HIM?! (Spoilers for New Dawn coming) I did some research too and you can kill him in New Dawn and your ex-main character gets converted to the cult. I almost wish they didn't do that because I feel slighted by the whole game if I'm being honest. I can't stop thinking about how it all went down, can someone PLEASE help me digest this?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
the game sucks, both 5 and New Dawn seemed completely unsure of what they were trying to say

New Dawn does make Joseph a "better" character that himself seemed surprised/regretful over how he was right, although my god is his son insufferable and ruins that game

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean, it sounds like you digested it fine to me? Not sure what you're wanting or what you're asking. The whole deal was that he was right all along and now you're stuck with him as he tortures and converts you to his belief.

OP
OP
Zuko

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
the game sucks, both 5 and New Dawn seemed completely unsure of what they were trying to say

New Dawn does make Joseph a "better" character that himself seemed surprised/regretful over how he was right, although my god is his son insufferable and ruins that game
I really enjoyed the game for its gameplay loop and a lot of the story was fine to me. Heavy for sure. Graphics were very nice on Series X too.

OP
OP
Zuko

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
I mean, it sounds like you digested it fine to me? Not sure what you're wanting or what you're asking. The whole deal was that he was right all along and now you're stuck with him as he tortures and converts you to his belief.
I guess I'm having a hard time letting the ending go. There's no real scenario where the game ends in a satisfying way and it's just frustrating.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
This was confirmed w/New Dawn right? Eventually you become his soldier which made the ending worse? I enjoyed both games, liked the narrative of 5 but yeah the ending was underwhelming

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciated the boldness of it, and apparently it is foreshadowed by news reports in the car radios as well as the Seed's dialogue. But when you have a villain as despicable as Seed it really sucks when the ending of the game basically validates that he was actually right the whole time.

New Dawn redeemed it a bit I think, it at least gives the survivors of Hope County a happy-ish ending. The game does give you the choice to either kill or spare Seed, and the the player character from 5 is actually a companion in New Dawn which I thought was cool.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It came out of nowhere and felt like an excuse to do the apocalypse FC.

The story is a mixed bag. Sometimes I like it and the other times I dislike it. It is well acted but I am not sure what exactly they wanted to tell us. That the father was right?

It doesn't help that we learn how fucked up he and his family are. I could understand it if the game hinted at some cold war style conflict or if the father was crazy enough to have a nuke. But no, nothing is said about why the nuke happens.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I guess I'm having a hard time letting the ending go. There's no real scenario where the game ends in a satisfying way and it's just frustrating.
It was always intended to be sequel bait sadly

But yeah the game's story has no clue if it wants optimism or nihilism and what angle it's taking on religion

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciated the boldness of it, and apparently it is foreshadowed by news reports in the car radios as well as the Seed's dialogue. But when you have a villain as despicable as Seed it really sucks when the ending of the game basically validates that he was actually right the whole time.

New Dawn redeemed it a bit I think, it at least gives the survivors of Hope County a happy-ish ending. The game does give you the choice to either kill or spare Seed, and the the player character from 5 is actually a companion in New Dawn which I thought was cool.
Wait what?

Do we know why the nuke happens?

Nov 8, 2017
Very brave to have the white-supremacist-coded-but-actually-ethnically-inclusive southern redneck religious brainwashing apocalypse cult run by psychopaths be correct

It was the uplifting political message we needed in a game releasing smack dab in the middle of the Trump administration

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I liked the ending. It's bleak. The world is not a nice place.

However, the whole story of Far Cry 5 was really disappointing. The initial opening was so intense and the idea of a far right activist just taking up arms and manipulating society and preying on weak prejudices is pretty topical.

Instead they have this opening and then just skirt around any of their beliefs other than them being a bit nuts and just have loads of scenes with you tripping. Oh and it tried to humanise these pos characters in worst ways with cheap exposition.

Felt like a good idea was there and it had the heart and soul ripped out of it to avoid any controversy...

Oddly I played this co-op and actually had a blast with it. Was just the story missed the mark so badly and could have been so much more...

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Very brave to have the white-supremacist-coded-but-actually-ethnically-inclusive southern redneck religious brainwashing apocalypse cult run by psychopaths be correct

It was the uplifting political message we needed in a game releasing smack dab in the middle of the Trump administration
You must be mistaken. Ubisoft said the game isn't political.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe there are news reports you can sometimes hear when driving cars that describe escalating tensions between world superpowers, but there really isn't much info given otherwise. New Dawn doesn't really go into it all that much either.
I see.

I did hear talks about nukes but the game never went deeper than that from what I saw. I wish they expanded on it because it could have made the story more interesting.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
Usually the way a game ends doesn't retroactively affect my enjoyment of it, but man, Far Cry 5 actually made me feel cheated. Like, what was the point of spending all this time saving all these people and stopping the cult if the whole world was going to end anyway?

Gameplay was fun, so I don't actually regret my time with it, but the ending rang very hollow for me. Actually, "hollow" is a pretty good descriptor of the narrative in general.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the ending. It's bleak. The world is not a nice place.

However, the whole story of Far Cry 5 was really disappointing. The initial opening was so intense and the idea of a far right activist just taking up arms and manipulating society and preying on weak prejudices is pretty topical.

Instead they have this opening and then just skirt around any of their beliefs other than them being a bit nuts and just have loads of scenes with you tripping. Oh and it tried to humanise these pos characters in worst ways with cheap exposition.

Felt like a good idea was there and it had the heart and soul ripped out of it to avoid any controversy...

Oddly I played this co-op and actually had a blast with it. Was just the story missed the mark so badly and could have been so much more...
I agree with this post and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Being able to play through the entire campaign co-op was a blast. Sitting through the tedious exposition was not.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Not everything has a happy ending. I found it incredible, it was my GOTY for 2018. Amazing writing and narrative, in my opinion. :)

I loved how he was right, he was god damn right. Not because he was a prophet. Because he did what others could not, prepare for the upcoming war. War that is mentioned many times across the in-game radio, that is hinted at throughout the story, and the beautiful part about it is, it is so easy to not realise what you're hearing.

Also loved how they did everything around the theme of the horsemen of the apocalypse, and the opening of the seals.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I dislike the whole story, especially the ending. It's just so pointless and doesnt say much. Getting kidnapped like 15 times was the worst.

4's ending also wasn't a "good" ending, but it worked, with the point being The Golden Path isn't much better than the royal army.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
I loved how he was right, he was god damn right. Not because he was a prophet. Because he did what others could not, prepare for the upcoming war. War that is mentioned many times across the in-game radio, that is hinted at throughout the story, and the beautiful part about it is, it is so easy to not realise what you're hearing.

Also loved how they did everything around the theme of the horsemen of the apocalypse, and the opening of the seals.
Obviously we disagree on whether or not the narrative was good, so I don't want to argue or anything, but I don't understand your interpretation, particularly the bolded part above.

Part of the collect-a-thon of the game was finding and breaking into prepper stashes. There were tons of people preparing for the worst all around the game world. The only thing the Seeds did differently was start a cult and kill anyone who opposed them.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
It exists so New Dawn can exist.

I think it's nihilist garbage, personally. I'm not saying every game has to be happy, but the twist felt unearned and shocking for the sake of being shocking.

Nier Automata and Spec Ops were depressing as fuck too but at least those games have more to say than "nothing you do matters" and "maybe the evil apocalypse cult is right, actually"

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
Don't think I've played a game where I gated the villains so much. I LOATH THE SEED FAMILY. They keep repeating their preachy nonsense and are just not fun like the series previous villains. I wouldn't even be opposed to the game only having endings where you are defeated but I just hate that Joseph Seed ends up being "right".

OP
OP
Zuko

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Usually the way a game ends doesn't retroactively affect my enjoyment of it, but man, Far Cry 5 actually made me feel cheated. Like, what was the point of spending all this time saving all these people and stopping the cult if the whole world was going to end anyway?

Gameplay was fun, so I don't actually regret my time with it, but the ending rang very hollow for me. Actually, "hollow" is a pretty good descriptor of the narrative in general.
This is exactly how I feel

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I never played it, or New Dawn, but I never new New Dawn was kind of a continuation. Thats cool.