• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
I think that's not giving the game enough credit. You're not getting the A ending on your first playthrough without a guide, but the game is designed to be replayed and cleverly hints to the player what they need to do. So like 1-2 playthroughs to figure out "Hey, what if instead of doing X, I try to do Y?" and then another 1-2 playthroughs to try and figure out how to do Y.

Or to put it more concretely:
You need to figure out that you're supposed to rebel against what the game is telling you to do so that you can break the seal on the main character. Then it's just a matter of figuring out how to lower the seal stat & making sure you do any important story-related events.

I think you're missing out on the true genius of the game's structure if you just cheat and look up how to get the best ending without trying to figure it out for yourself over a couple playthroughs.
One playthrough is already tedious enough.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
There's a decent game in there botched by devs giving you the middle finger every step of the way.

Unskippable dialogue? Fuck off.
A limit to the amount of locations you can visit per chapter? Fuck off.
A non-shitty ending you can only acquire by following a walkthrough? Fuck off.

The menus and customizing were also a total nightmare.

A slog of a game, and a relic of an era of JRPG devs having the mentality of "oooh let's put this really annoying, tedious, and un-fun feature in!! Makes the game longer"

everything you're complaining about got fixed in the mobile HD port (except the opaque ending requirements)

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
How can I play this in 2021?

I've used the subreddit's guide here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValkyrieProfile/wiki/index

If you don't want to track down a PS1 or PSP copy to play it its also on Android/iOS. I haven't tried but I think it supports controllers?

Partial controller support. You can actually play the mobile version on your PC and it will look much better than the PS1 version:

MpLwdOl.jpg

5RiYDct.jpg

Oct 31, 2017
The time limit is part of the game design. If you could visit as many locations as you wanted at any time you wanted, the experience wouldn't work.
I'm aware, but that coupled with the game's strict ending requirements made it an unfun slog for me. I specifically remember going to a certain tower in Chapter 4, and running into an obscenely hard enemy that requires a specific (breakable) weapon. The weapon broke for me and I also had some other issues IIRC that made me want to leave the dungeon. I also had no time left for that chapter so I was screwed for ending A for that playthrough.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
*checks for extra features*
Oh they basically added features that took out all the tedious elements lol, wtf
And this isn't ported to consoles... why???

Square Enix's Business Division 11 was in charge of the port and they only work on mobile games, so they never got around to thinking about consoles.

Business Division 3 did the Star Ocean First Departure R which was released on PS4/Switch and they are mostly console focused.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's great. I really wish Square would rerelease it. I'd love a remaster or remake, but at this point, releasing the game as-is on PC would satisfy me.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
OP, I've been requesting Lenneth in Smash for years now; I think that says quite a lot regarding my love of this game.
I never had a chance to properly play the sequel though... I really wish we eventually have - at least - a clean port/remaster of both on modern consoles.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
There's a decent game in there botched by devs giving you the middle finger every step of the way.

Unskippable dialogue? Fuck off.
A limit to the amount of locations you can visit per chapter? Fuck off.
A non-shitty ending you can only acquire by following a walkthrough? Fuck off.

The menus and customizing were also a total nightmare.

A slog of a game, and a relic of an era of JRPG devs having the mentality of "oooh let's put this really annoying, tedious, and un-fun feature in!! Makes the game longer"

I don't understand why unskippable dialogue is that big of a deal. Maybe it's a me thing, but I never felt the need to skip past, especially when the Einherjar have some interesting and tragic stories. I can name RPGs and games that I felt like spamming X/B through the dialogue.
As for the limit to the locations, I felt similarly to you initially, but it didn't become a strain on gameplay like I thought it would be. Particularly because most locations are one-visit based on when you do concentrations and recruit your Einherjar. The only dungeon that you'd actually want to revisit is that RNG Cave of Oblivion. Basically the period that are given to you is more than enough time to visit the areas that are exposed via concentration. Also, it is part of gameplay after all, you have a limited amount of time before Ragnarok happens, so it's no different than something like the 3-day cycle in Majora's Mask (obviously Majora's Mask allows you to reset time).

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
So I'm in Chapter 5, and this character has caught my eye:

202931-vpc_lezard.jpg

I wonder how he met Valkyrie Lenneth, since meeting her would imply either the astral plane was broken, or he had an experience that did not result in him being an Einherjar (maybe a Soul Exchange from someone who wished to save him?)

EDIT: What the fuck, he goes off and kills Mystina?????
Just because you posted the artwork I thought I'd mention for those who don't know the Yoshinari brothers who did character designs are incredible animators in the anime industry, being involved with Evangelion, Gurren Laggan, Promare, Fullmetal Alchemist, Made in Abyss, and more.

Also it is absolutely necessary you play Valkyrie Profile 2 đź‘€

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Friendly reminder that you can emulate the PS1 version with achievements. Assuming you own it anyway, which might be tough with how rare it's gotten. I never beat it as a kid, I should go back and try again. I really liked what I played, both the plot and the gameplay were really cool, but fell off of it for some reason.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game, great battle system that is only outdone by it's sequel which you should most certainly play. Both games would make a killing if they were rereleased on Steam IMO.

I think VP is a lot easier than people make it too, you can do some pretty abusive stuff with some of the items you get on hard difficulty. I actually found myself having lots of dead phases where I had nothing to do and just had to skip doing anything. It's just really overwhelming at first and you feel like you're going to fuck up the true ending, even though it's pretty damn lenient.

Best Einherjar by the way:

latest

Gimme some of that Dreaded Dragon.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never did it myself but I think you can recruit Lezard, Brahms and Freya in the bonus dungeon.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
This is the best game ever made imo. Easily my favorite. It's a shame the sequels and it's spiritual successor weren't very good.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
Random Question, has anyone tried iOS version on HDTV? I just realized my SN30Pro can connect to my phone, and if I can connect it to TV, that's a gamechanger.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
gLt8BTR.jpg

Of all the game garbage I own, I might love this cheap little $30 figure as my favourite thing in my collections.

Absolutely one of the best PSX games, and that was a killer gen for RPGs.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
This game was amazing. The music and attack animations are top-notch. Hopefully the series is revisited one day.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Random Question, has anyone tried iOS version on HDTV? I just realized my SN30Pro can connect to my phone, and if I can connect it to TV, that's a gamechanger.
I just tried on my samsung phone/tv and it feels like it's skipping frames or something. I'm not a technical person but I definitely notice a lack of fluidity in the animations compared to what I see on my phone, and don't think there's any way I could play it like this. Someone should definitely try it out on iOS if possible and let us know.

Interestingly I found my ps4 controller and it's touchpad, while fiddly, did actually work in the menus.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm in Chapter 5, and this character has caught my eye:

202931-vpc_lezard.jpg

I wonder how he met Valkyrie Lenneth, since meeting her would imply either the astral plane was broken, or he had an experience that did not result in him being an Einherjar (maybe a Soul Exchange from someone who wished to save him?)

EDIT: What the fuck, he goes off and kills Mystina?????
I don't believe it's ever said in-game, but there's an official manga adaptation that kinda sorta answers this:
turns out he was the one who gave Ghoul Powder to Lombert to use on Princess Jelanda (you'll recall he used the same trick on his teacher's captive fiance), he used a "looking glass" to view the results from his home and caught sight of Lenneth aiding Arngrim).

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
One of my top RPGs ever, in spite of some of its obtuse mechanics. I loved the dungeon design, they're large, grueling affairs with tons of different routes and puzzles to solve and a big variety of locales. The combat is also addicting and never got old for me. Wasn't as crazy about Silmeria, I didn't like the more position-based combat or having to 'break' monsters to get rare drops for crafting purposes... but the DS SRPG spinoff, Covenant of the Plume, is a real interesting and underrated title. The whole concept of sacrificing your teammates to gain new skills was a perfect melding of story and gameplay.

While the whole dark, depressing RPG nowadays is kind of a cliche thanks to western RPGs and Game of Thrones, VP was one of the first games I recall to have that mood all throughout the game, and at the time it felt like a breath of fresh air.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
gLt8BTR.jpg

Of all the game garbage I own, I might love this cheap little $30 figure as my favourite thing in my collections.

Do you know if VP will be covered in the JRPG bitmaps book you did that awesome cover for? :)

Oct 27, 2017
This game with ending A is just the best

That said, ending A is one of those guide selling secrets which is BS. Still worth experiencing since the twist is reallllllly good

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's not giving the game enough credit. You're not getting the A ending on your first playthrough without a guide, but the game is designed to be replayed and cleverly hints to the player what they need to do. So like 1-2 playthroughs to figure out "Hey, what if instead of doing X, I try to do Y?" and then another 1-2 playthroughs to try and figure out how to do Y.

Or to put it more concretely:
You need to figure out that you're supposed to rebel against what the game is telling you to do so that you can break the seal on the main character. Then it's just a matter of figuring out how to lower the seal stat & making sure you do any important story-related events.

I think you're missing out on the true genius of the game's structure if you just cheat and look up how to get the best ending without trying to figure it out for yourself over a couple playthroughs.

Seen this argument before and all due respect but hell no, this is as good as it being completely obtuse. You're basing it on someone knowing there's a true ending to begin with. Which i believe the game hints about extremely vaguely in the end credits.

However, I'm torn because it works so well even when using a guide and I feel like it wouldn't have been as interesting if it was a cut scene everybody experienced the first time through.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe it's ever said in-game, but there's an official manga adaptation that kinda sorta answers this:
turns out he was the one who gave Ghoul Powder to Lombert to use on Princess Jelanda (you'll recall he used the same trick on his teacher's captive fiance), he used a "looking glass" to view the results from his home and caught sight of Lenneth aiding Arngrim).

That's actually intriguing, but wouldn't it be too quick? I suppose within the context of the game's time mechanics, 4 chapters encapsulates something like 3 months, so it might not be out of the ordinary if Lezard truly was responsible for the Ghoul Powder attack in Artolia. My only question would be why would Lezard be involved in Artolian matters? It does nothing to advance his motivations.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit...

I was not ready for

Lucian to be recruited. Jesus Fucking Christ, Gerebellum gets nuked because of theft, and the way Lucian dies...

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I finally did it. 6 years in the making, and I found a complete and mint copy of Valkyrie Profile for the PS1. With how much I enjoyed the game, I owed it to myself to own it (now many more PS1 rpgs I hope to own...). And I must say, it's in freaking pristine condition.

I was not ready for what Chapter 5 had to offer, first Lezard betrays Mystina as a form of self-preservation, and now Lucian gets killed because Gerebellum overreacted to the rise in thieving, and purged the slums as a result.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Wow, that's amazing MegaManTrigger ! How much did you have to fork over for that copy?

Now all you need is to get the Japanese Collector's Edition and especially the Material Collection artbook (should be affordable)

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
I still need to watch the A ending someday. Not that I remember which ending I got when I played it, but likely not A.

And start Silmeria again as I never finished it.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Amazing game, great battle system that is only outdone by it's sequel which you should most certainly play. Both games would make a killing if they were rereleased on Steam IMO.

I think VP is a lot easier than people make it too, you can do some pretty abusive stuff with some of the items you get on hard difficulty. I actually found myself having lots of dead phases where I had nothing to do and just had to skip doing anything. It's just really overwhelming at first and you feel like you're going to fuck up the true ending, even though it's pretty damn lenient.

Best Einherjar by the way:

latest

Gimme some of that Dreaded Dragon.
Hells yes! the best of taste right here. I really wished she were in 2 somehow (given the cycle of life in the games), but I never, ever sent her up in VP1, she was too valuable to me even if her kit was not the optimal setup for endgame shenanigans.
gLt8BTR.jpg

I have this! and I have the Freya from the set, too. I remember when they came out they did 2 releases, one as a blind box and one that cost more per figure but had a blister pack.
Well, I finally did it. 6 years in the making, and I found a complete and mint copy of Valkyrie Profile for the PS1. With how much I enjoyed the game, I owed it to myself to own it (now many more PS1 rpgs I hope to own...). And I must say, it's in freaking pristine condition.

I was not ready for what Chapter 5 had to offer, first Lezard betrays Mystina as a form of self-preservation, and now Lucian gets killed because Gerebellum overreacted to the rise in thieving, and purged the slums as a result.

Oh, you're not even to the truest of shenanigans, yet. This is one of those rare cases of how the game has a semi-focus on characters where it matters, but little else beyond it. Most of the time. I think that's why I enjoyed VP2, it had a slightly more traditional focus on storytelling in a JRPG but it actually amped the combat up even more.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Valkyrie Profile is a phenomenal game. Its one of the prized games I own alongside Suikoden II

I am mildly curious about the mobile port. If I can somehow get that playable on my TV, I'd definitely go that route for a replay.

Sep 22, 2019
I played Indivisible last year and the combat showed its weakness halfway through the game, I know the combat was based on Valkyrie Profile.

While Inidivisible's combat was bad and repetitive, it had potential, would anyone who has played both say Valkyrie is better?

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
I played Indivisible last year and the combat showed its weakness halfway through the game, I know the combat was based on Valkyrie Profile.

While Inidivisible's combat was bad and repetitive, it had potential, would anyone who has played both say Valkyrie is better?

I'd say Valkyrie is better without a doubt. I enjoy Indivisible's combat system since it has its own uniqueness, but Valkyrie Profile seems to have a rhythm to it. In contrast, Indivisible is much closer to something like a fighting game, where the focus is a lot more on the combo strings, and ultimate attack being closer to how fighting games handle super combos (which isn't really the same as PWS/Soul Crush). And then you have to consider the nuances like charging rates for attacks (spamming the same attack = slower rate)

And this is just me, but using PWS/Soul Crush is just satisfying after a combo string. Seeing Great Magics like Celestial Star, or Valkyrie's own Nibelung Valesti, adds a flash to the system that I never tired of.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Also, which difficulty are you playing on? I highly recommend "Hard" mode... it has more dungeons, including some with some quite challenging layouts... but due to the increased chance of grinding and acquiring new equipment in these new dungeons, "hard" may end up being easier than "normal" mode.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
It's an all-time classic RPG. Not the type you need people to tell you about typically! Glad you finally found it though.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The time limit is part of the game design. If you could visit as many locations as you wanted at any time you wanted, the experience wouldn't work.

Ehh, really there's more than enough time in the game to visit every single location and then some. Plus, leveling up in VP doesn't even really make you that much stronger. Skills plus gear is by far the most important. Your character level is only like 1/4th of where your power, and mainly only helps with your max HP. Crafting and finding powerful gear is much, much more important.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017

It's also worth nothing that towns aren't designed in the typical RPG sense. They function more as story pieces for the Einherjer that's recruited. I suppose you could call it the weakest part of the game since it is supposed to be an RPG.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Man, this game does cutscenes incredibly well. I suppose it's fitting that I'm watching the climax (read as: sending Lucian to Asgard) during Valentine's Day given what Lucian's story has been about. It's also led to the best cutscene I've ever seen in an RPG. The character portraits are just awesomely drawn.

Last edited: