• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Trading in my PS1 copy back in the day about a month after it launched because I didn't get into it right away is one of my gaming regrets.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Tri-Ace was responsible for Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile for Enix, I'm shocked that they were never acquired by Square Enix.

Then again, Tri-Ace as a brand dipped in quality ever since they got involved with 3D gaming with the only exception being Resonance of Fate.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
Another thing I had forgotten to mention. It would typically sound very jarring on paper, but the contrast of exploring Midgard in 3D overworld, and then going to a dungeon to find that it's a 2D-platformer set-up is so much fun to me. I usually hate exploring dungeons in RPGs because of the random encounters, but Valkyrie Profile having spawns and interesting dungeon pathways, made it incredibly fun.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I have a physical copy of this for PSP. Did they release it digitally? Heck if I know where my PSP is or if it even still works. I do know my Vita still does though.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Tri-Ace was responsible for Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile for Enix, I'm shocked that they were never acquired by Square Enix.

Then again, Tri-Ace as a brand dipped in quality ever since they got involved with 3D gaming with the only exception being Resonance of Fate.
Star Ocean 3, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Radiata Stories are all well beloved games of high quality. It was the HD era that did them in, not just 3d.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Star Ocean 3, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Radiata Stories are all well beloved games of high quality. It was the HD era that did them in, not just 3d.
The weirdest part of the HD era of tri-Ace to me was when kinda out of nowhere they showed this

And everybody was like ''Oh shit that's clearly for a new Star Ocean!'', and then they made Star Ocean 5...

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
The weirdest part of the HD era of tri-Ace to me was when kinda out of nowhere they showed this

And everybody was like ''Oh shit that's clearly for a new Star Ocean!'', and then they made Star Ocean 5...

It still looks so good. It sucks Square Enix obviously never believed in tri-Ace's ability to have the budget and resources to flex with something like this.

I'm wondering what tri-Ace are doing. There were rumors of them working with the mobile developer of Valkyrie Profile I think, but anything related to VP just feels like wishful thinking.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say that.

Star Ocean 3 got a lot of blowback in the fanbase because of its major plot twist, which reveals that the entire Star Ocean universe is just a computer simulation.

Valkyrie Profile 2...I don't know about the larger fanbase, but I despise that game. I count the original Valkyrie Profile as one of my favorite games of all time, and while the gameplay and aesthetic of Valkyrie Profile 2 are top notch, it's story is ultimately an insult to me. I dropped it like a rock the moment I realized that it was a time travel plot to overwrite the events of the original Valkyrie Profile.

Radiata Stories I enjoyed, but as a one-off, it just vanished from discourse not long after it left store shelves.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's well regarded, but difficult to find a decent copy of.

The OG PS1 release has *always* been rare as hell and gone for absurd amounts of money.

The PSP re-release is inexplicably UMD only, which means you need an older PSP model to play it.

Square never bothered with a digital release so it's not available on PSN and can't be played by the Vita.

There's a smartphone release but...touchscreen controls with that aren't a good idea because there's some precision platforming in it.

a great game held back by bizarre release decisions by the publisher.

Can't you use a bluetooth controller on the mobile port of it?

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I wouldn't say that.

Star Ocean 3 got a lot of blowback in the fanbase because of its major plot twist, which reveals that the entire Star Ocean universe is just a computer simulation.

Valkyrie Profile 2...I don't know about the larger fanbase, but I despise that game. I count the original Valkyrie Profile as one of my favorite games of all time, and while the gameplay and aesthetic of Valkyrie Profile 2 are top notch, it's story is ultimately an insult to me. I dropped it like a rock the moment I realized that it was a time travel plot to overwrite the events of the original Valkyrie Profile.

Radiata Stories I enjoyed, but as a one-off, it just vanished from discourse not long after it left store shelves.
I get there are critics of the games, but their PS2 titles all sold reasonably well, were well reviewed, and are constantly brought up in recommendation threads. As far as can be judged from an "objective" point of view, their downfall absolutely started with HD gaming. When judging the downfall of tri-Ace, is anyone really going to argue it started with one of their best selling titles, Star Ocean 3, or Infinite Undiscovery?

I liked Infinite Undiscovery though.

I'm not even sure where my controller is so I can't check but the Google store does say partial support.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'm not even sure where my controller is so I can't check but the Google store does say partial support.

Yes

You can even play the game on a PC as a regular console game

• Download and install Bluestack https://www.bluestacks.com/download.html
  • Set up a Google Play account via Bluestacks and buy and install the game
  • Connect your controller to your PC. If you use a Dualshock 4, I suggest using DS4Windows that also allows you to customize the trackpad and other things. https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows/releases
  • Set up Bluestacks Settings to the following: Under "Engine", first choose OpenGL, then scroll down and select the 'ABI setting' to 'ARM'. Then go to 'Preferences' and enable "Use game's inbuilt gamepad controls"
  • Launch Valkyrie Profile Lenneth in Bluestacks with your controller connected. Menus are mouse-driven/trackpad-driven, combat and platforming are controller-driven.

This is how the mobile version looks on PC: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwggmlL7Cxd6Y4Z3hxnn0RrRBI30Nm8U7

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Is this something I can safely use my Google account with then? I already own the game and don't want to have to buy it again but I've never been able to stick with it playing on my phone.

You mean if Bluestacks would compromise your account? I have not heard about such a thing. It worked fine for me. You can google search Bluestacks to see if it's safe?

Only thing is that menus cannot be operated with the controller, so you'll have to use your mouse (or touchpad as mouse if you have DS4 and use DS4windows).

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
^ Valkyrie Profile series is Sakuraba at his best to me, maybe tied with Baten Kairos.

You mean if Bluestacks would compromise your account? I have not heard about such a thing. It worked fine for me. You can google search Bluestacks to see if it's safe?

Only thing is that menus cannot be operated with the controller, so you'll have to use your mouse (or touchpad as mouse if you have DS4 and use DS4windows).
Yeah I'd just never looked into any Android on PC stuff, wanted to be sure it's legit. I guess the menus are why there was only partial support, that's silly but won't be an issue. Once I finish up God of War I can stick with my Norse gaming and replay this on my PC now, cool.

Shame about no digital VP2, my laptop definitely couldn't emulate it (and I'd have to find a copy, my old one was PAL and is long gone). Maybe I'll try to find my Covenant of the Plume copy soon.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
Ah man this series. I played only Covenant of the Plume, took me 30 or so hours to beat all three endings and I cried every single time.
I remember the 1st playthrough being quite challenging, and it had a unique battle system featuring interesting tactical components, like setting up and pulling off awesome combos and stuff, really cool. The dialogue was really pretty, formal and graceful. Great character development and a good story. And the way they integrated the titular narrative motif into the gameplay was shuper cool too.

Lenneth, I played only a bit. I think I recruited the first Einherjar who reminded me of Gattsu? Then got distracted with other stuff sadly. This was years ago though. I think I will go back and finish this one. Thanks guys! ^_^

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It is awesome.

Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden 2 both sit at the very top of the PSX RPG pantheon to me, and are not mentioned nearly as much as they should be.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
This game is now going for $300+ dollars for a physical PS1 copy. Insane.

If you've got a PSP you can snag a complete copy for a 1/10th of that at $30. Otherwise yeah go Mobile.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Can't understand why they can't find some intern to port this game to pc. A shitty port could do, they did many for many games, why they don't do for these RPG no one can find legally anymore

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I'm guessing you were never told because none of the twelve people who played this game frequent these forums.

I played a fair bit of this a few months ago but fell off because I picked the Hard difficulty (like everything tells you to) and...it got too hard for me :P I think I stopped around period 4 or 5?

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
Another thing I had forgotten to mention. It would typically sound very jarring on paper, but the contrast of exploring Midgard in 3D overworld, and then going to a dungeon to find that it's a 2D-platformer set-up is so much fun to me. I usually hate exploring dungeons in RPGs because of the random encounters, but Valkyrie Profile having spawns and interesting dungeon pathways, made it incredibly fun.

It 's such a mishmash, but somehow, not only works in the end, but elevates the whole experience. Along with the ingenious setting and characters, it was one of those games that not even it 's own developers could get right again, even if they tried.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
This was one hell of a boss fight:

31-NdzUMpN.png

And before getting my ass wiped by Brahms in a previous play time, it was interesting to see how Valkyrie Silmeria is somehow related from a story standpoint to Brahms.

P3kwf8CyOKQZ03dA00AAAAASUVORK5CYII.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
Yes it's very difficult!

Are you using a spoiler-free ending guide on how to get Ending A, MegaManTrigger ? I really recommend getting Ending A, it makes a huge difference in how great of a main narrative it is.

I am. I've gotten a checklist devoid of any spoilers and only shows what I have to do to accomplish it. For shits and giggles, I have an alternate save file of Ending C, so that ended up being hilarious seeing Freya smash me to smithereens for my insolence. And I was told the difference between B and A is that A had significant plot points, so that it's more logical to go through A than to play through both endings A and B. So far I've managed to get my seal value down to 41, and I've got a couple of periods left to explore one more dungeon (Cave of Thackus) before Chapter 4 ends.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully someone will get around to porting the Mobile version of the game one of these days.
It's bizarre why it hasn't really been re-released otherwise.

This game is now going for $300+ dollars for a physical PS1 copy. Insane.

PS1 Copies are pretty hard to find.

It also doesn't help that there's stories about how the disc production quality was low, meaning that people run into Disc Read Errors b/c of random scratches or stuff missing from the top layer of the disc.

Starseeker

Banned
Dec 30, 2020
Lenneth is one of the first female protagonists I ever knew. Sucks that this game is stuck on old platforms.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully someone will get around to porting the Mobile version of the game one of these days.
It's bizarre why it hasn't really been re-released otherwise.

PS1 Copies are pretty hard to find.

It also doesn't help that there's stories about how the disc production quality was low, meaning that people run into Disc Read Errors b/c of random scratches or stuff missing from the top layer of the disc.

Yeah I have never received a disc read error but on Disc 2 during a certain end game cutscene it likes to just freeze for whatever reason and we know how long some of those can be during that time. All too familiar with the low production costs. It's why I just encourage folks who want to play to either get it on PSP if they have one or just go the app route.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm in Chapter 5, and this character has caught my eye:

202931-vpc_lezard.jpg

I wonder how he met Valkyrie Lenneth, since meeting her would imply either the astral plane was broken, or he had an experience that did not result in him being an Einherjar (maybe a Soul Exchange from someone who wished to save him?)

EDIT: What the fuck, he goes off and kills Mystina?????

MegamanFreak

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite game of all time, so i will be following this thread to see your progress. i hope you enjoy this game!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's a freaking masterpiece and its only major flaw is that you can't get the A ending without a guide.

I think that's not giving the game enough credit. You're not getting the A ending on your first playthrough without a guide, but the game is designed to be replayed and cleverly hints to the player what they need to do. So like 1-2 playthroughs to figure out "Hey, what if instead of doing X, I try to do Y?" and then another 1-2 playthroughs to try and figure out how to do Y.

Or to put it more concretely:
You need to figure out that you're supposed to rebel against what the game is telling you to do so that you can break the seal on the main character. Then it's just a matter of figuring out how to lower the seal stat & making sure you do any important story-related events.

I think you're missing out on the true genius of the game's structure if you just cheat and look up how to get the best ending without trying to figure it out for yourself over a couple playthroughs.

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I am. I've gotten a checklist devoid of any spoilers and only shows what I have to do to accomplish it. For shits and giggles, I have an alternate save file of Ending C, so that ended up being hilarious seeing Freya smash me to smithereens for my insolence. And I was told the difference between B and A is that A had significant plot points, so that it's more logical to go through A than to play through both endings A and B. So far I've managed to get my seal value down to 41, and I've got a couple of periods left to explore one more dungeon (Cave of Thackus) before Chapter 4 ends.

This makes me so happy to hear :D I really envy you, it's such a good game and it really moved me when I first played it back in 2006 on my PSP.

EDIT: What the fuck, he goes off and kills Mystina?????

I'm cackling here.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Played this when it came out on PSP and it quickly became one of my favorites.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
I think that's not giving the game enough credit. You're not getting the A ending on your first playthrough without a guide, but the game is designed to be replayed and cleverly hints to the player what they need to do. So like 1-2 playthroughs to figure out "Hey, what if instead of doing X, I try to do Y?" and then another 1-2 playthroughs to try and figure out how to do Y.

You need to figure out that you're supposed to rebel against what the game is telling you to do so that you can break the seal on the main character. Then it's just a matter of figuring out how to lower the seal stat & making sure you do any important story-related events.

I think you're missing out on the true genius of the game's structure if you just cheat and look up how to get the best ending without trying to figure it out for yourself over a couple playthroughs.

To be fair, the game doesn't make the seal value very obvious at all, which I suppose is the point. Maybe obvious is not the right word, but it's certainly not observable with how carefully you have to scroll in the status menu or else you'll miss it.
In my first playthrough, I had no idea that it was hidden within the status menu of Valkyrie and the Einherjar. I confused that with the Eval Stat that you see in the main menu.

I will say, repeated playthrough made me pay attention to some of the hints (Freya asking if you remember, Odin in general making sure that Valkyrie is keeping up with her duties).

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I tried the DS game but never got very far. An early mission demands that you rescue a character but he's so far away from the starting point that I couldn't make it there in time. It's a grid based, mission based strategy RPG instead of a regular RPG and I'm not a fan of those in general but I have genuinely no idea what to do there.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017

I see your point but I'm usually not a fan of multiple playthroughs/endings.

Oct 31, 2017
There's a decent game in there botched by devs giving you the middle finger every step of the way.

Unskippable dialogue? Fuck off.
A limit to the amount of locations you can visit per chapter? Fuck off.
A non-shitty ending you can only acquire by following a walkthrough? Fuck off.

The menus and customizing were also a total nightmare.

A slog of a game, and a relic of an era of JRPG devs having the mentality of "oooh let's put this really annoying, tedious, and un-fun feature in!! Makes the game longer"