• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Key-Art-FINAL-FLAT-SM.jpg

'I'm sorry I doubted you, Chloe' - Chloe

I have a pretty sentimental relationship with the Uncharted series. The first game occupies a special spot in my heart, despite being perceived as the worst entry in the series. With each subsequent entry, I found myself loving the series even more. Naturally, Uncharted 4 was my favorite in the series up until earlier this week. When The Lost Legacy was released, I was somewhat dismissive of the game, surprisingly; not because I doubted the integrity of it, but I felt complete with the story Naughty Dog told in Uncharted 4. I was not particularly interested, at the time, in what Chloe was up to, despite enjoying her character in Uncharted 2 and 3.

Last week, however, I found my hype for The Last of Us II getting the better of me and I felt the only way to satisfy my craving for the time being was to expose myself to some of the fantastic interactions found in Naughty Dog's work. I decided it was time to try The Lost Legacy once and for all and I am glad I did.

The team did a great job at reintroducing Chloe through her interaction with the little girl - showing Chloe's caring side as well with her concern over the little girl's well-being as well as her cunning side to pick up on the little girl's thievery.

Prologue_Girl_3.jpg

Once Chloe begins exploring the streets, the street environment serves as a foreshadow for the excellent level design found throughout the game. The sense of vertical scale as well as horizontal scale in tight alleys was really fantastic. Once we meet Nadine, the chemistry between the two is immediately apparent. Chloe's methodically careless personality compliments Nadine's meticulous approach to tasks perfectly. As the game goes on, there is a great arc in their relationship: there is initial distrust, walls being gradually torn down, deception, rendezvous, and friendship. Throughout the arc, Nadine becomes especially likable. She offers humor, sympathy, understandable anger, and forgiveness. Naughty Dog did an absolutely fantastic job at building a relationship in the roughly ten hours.

4d60c0a899656d1650cf10a4c5b35bd9.jpg

The vistas in this game were truly incredible, and the set pieces were so well-done. It did not feel like overload like Uncharted 2 but it had more bombastic action than Uncharted 4. It felt like an incredible action movie. Speaking of the visuals, this is the best looking work Naughty Dog has done as a whole. The animations were absolutely INCREDIBLE. The Last of Us II looks amazing and will surely surpass this (which is crazy that I can say with such confidence) but this is so impressive, especially being a three year old game. The facial animations really help you get into the scene and then add the delivery of certain passages? It is truly great work.

The game is so excellently paced as well. Aside from a couple of chapters that strain a bit, the game makes complete sense from a narrative perspective. It made the conclusion super satisfying and definitive. I really dislike when games swerve you when the game SHOULD end, only to bloat the experience and compromise the story being told.

I am disappointed in myself for taking so long to play, what is now, my favorite Uncharted. I absolutely loved everything about this one. It is not just my favorite Uncharted game, but one of my favorite PS4 games and one of my favorites from this generation. I am not sure if we will get an Uncharted 5 with these characters but I absolutely don't want an Uncharted 5 that doesn't involve Nadine, Sam, and Chloe.

I hope you all play this soon, if you have not already! This is my first LTTP recommendation thread and I am glad I used that novelty on this gem.

maxresdefault.jpg

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Great game and I ejoyed it more than Uncharted 4. It had all the good bits of U4 and none of the bloat. I still think they need to shake up the franchise a bit at this point though. Make the platforming actually more challenging.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Nice write up OP. I recently platinumed the game and vastly enjoyed it.
The banter between Chloe and Nadine imo is better executed.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
It's not my favorite in the series just based on the scope being so limited compared to 2-4 (would have preferred more time in the city with actual combat, and at least one other visually distinct area), but it's a nice return to a lighter Uncharted after the comparatively heavy 4th entry, and is really well paced and *finally* one of these games saves its best setpiece for the actual climax of the game.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Awesome game, one of the best in the series. Everyone who wrote this one off should definitely play it as the OP suggests!

Oct 25, 2017
Chloe and Nadine being the "Sully" to Nate's daughter would be great, but I'm still going to want these two leading some side games.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Best in the series since 2. I'd really like to see another game starring these two and bring in other recurring characters like Sully and Cutter. Cutter definitely needs a whole game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best, if not THE best game of the series. Crazy that it scored so low.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Lovely little game. Such a perfect lenght too, I'll probably replay it in the coming months.

These two leads definitely deserve another game too.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Yes to everything in OP. That final chapter was peak uncharted setpiece

I thought Sam was exceptionnally hilarious in this one.

They completely salvaged him for me after I felt he was underserved in 4. Playing him up as kind of a scumbag for laughs worked well, and he contrasted with Nadine and Chloe, rather than pretty much talking to himself with Nate in 4 most of the time.

Stuff like this was great (1:04:38 is timestamp doesn't work):

youtu.be

UNCHARTED THE LOST LEGACY - All Cutscenes / Full Movie

Uncharted The Lost Legacy All Cutscenes movie edition, game movie 1080p hd of the new Uncharted 2017 spin off.Subscribe for more!Patreon: https://www.patreon...

Sam: Wait, what about a plan, guys? Like I said, there's over a couple dozen guys down there.

Nadine: [Echoing Chloe] Relax. You'll live longer.

Chloe: ... I am so proud.

Sam: ... what just happened?

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
This game deserves all the love. The epilogue always brings a smile to my face.

Oct 27, 2017
Best game in the series with a bullet. Keeps or expands on what's great about 4 in terms of movement, graphics, and combat and improves on the pacing, story, and in a lot of ways, character. I would love to see future UCs go forward with this team.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Great game! Looking at those screenshots I just realized what bothered me about it the whole time: costume design! It's a little vanilla. Yes, it's a huge nitpick and not a serious one at that, but look at it! You got plain jeans/ cargo pants and solid-colored tops. It's perfectly practical and fits what they are trying to do, but for comparison, Drake always has some extra flare like detailed gun holsters, belts, and scarves (half tucks too). The costumes they had in India looked good and detailed. I wish the rest had just a little extra to make it stand out more.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Brilliant game, crazy how overlooked it gets around here - especially when best games of the gen are being discussed.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played it a few weeks ago for the first time. A genuinely great game and holy fuck at its visuals. It legitimately looks like a great painting in most frames and at times when coming out of a cave, photo realistic.

OP
OP
EJS

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Great game! Looking at those screenshots I just realized what bothered me about it the whole time: costume design! It's a little vanilla. Yes, it's a huge nitpick and not a serious one at that, but look at it! You got plain jeans/ cargo pants and solid-colored tops. It's perfectly practical and fits what they are trying to do, but for comparison, Drake always has some extra flare like detailed gun holsters, belts, and scarves (half tucks too). The costumes they had in India looked good and detailed. I wish the rest had just a little extra to make it stand out more.
You unlock a lot of great costumes in the menu when you beat it :)

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
It' really well paced, all killer no filler. Chloe and Nadine are also a fun duo. If the series has a return, I'd like Chloe to become the next main protagonist of the series.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Loved it, liked it more than UC4 for many of the reasons stated above. Pacing was better, didn't feel as overly long, and had a bit more bombast to it which is part of what I love about the series.

Buuuuut....

They did bring back Sam. And he's the Poochy of this series for me, I can't help it. Didn't hurt the game at all, to be clear, I just found myself wishing it'd been some new character or maybe even Charlie.

Last edited:

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
It's really good as a concise adventure game. I really don't want another formulaic Uncharted experience like this next gen (even though there were some 'exploration' bits, but they were meh), it became tiring midway through 2, but as a spinoff it ticks all boxes.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game.

I wonder if coming out in 2017, which was a massive year for great games, contributed for this to be ignored by some back then

Oct 25, 2017
My only gripe with the story is just how much it ignores Nadine's responsibility in the events of uncharted 4. Surely Chloe would have a right to be mad at her for wanting to kill Drake
I really don't think Chloe would've ever allowed Nadine to kill Sam or Nate. The woman went to Nate and Elena's wedding, she's in pretty good standing with that family.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Now that I think about it, it would have been great Nadine as the villain of the game. I like a lot in Uncharted 4

Game is amazing, crazy set pieces that reminds me the ones from U2

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
People joke about the ending song but no joke the song hitting at the end and playing over the credits after the last line of dialogue is the exact moment I decided it was my favorite Uncharted lol

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
People joke about the ending song but no joke the song hitting at the end and playing over the credits after the last line of dialogue is the exact moment I decided it was my favorite Uncharted lol
Same. I went oh shit, that's awesome. The stickers are the icing on the cake haha. Uncharted 2 will forever hold that soft spot, but TLL is fkn phenomenal.