• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I need to replay Lost Legacy. I loved it. You should probably replay it, too. Really that . . . that's my only reason for posting here.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I'll definitely get to it.

I've been so busy with work and other obligations in my life that I couldn't get into games like Red Dead Redemption 2 or games which require a lot of time to appreciate. So I figured I'd pare back my library and keep only the games that made an impact on me, games that I'd like to keep forever. The Uncharted series is obviously something I knew I could just start up, play for a few minutes and each moment was meaningful progress since there isn't much to distract me. The next thing I knew, I was a 1/3 of the way through the game on the first sitting, then halfway through, etc.

As everyone just mentioned here, the cast of characters is endearing. The quieter moments rely on their conversations and interactions to bring the moments to life.

And I plan on playing Lost Legacy again. That game is amazing as well. Honestly, that game is probably better than Uncharted 4. But Uncharted 4 has the final third of the game that I think just elevates the story/game in general. No fight in the Uncharted series (or any game probably) has been as epic or moving to me as the final boss in Uncharted 4.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I loved every moment of it and finished it 4 times by now. Pacing is great, gameplay is smooth and addictive, graphics top notch and narrative the best out there. Seems you're overthinking to much OP, stop taking everything so serious.

By the way: amazing that people who criticize U4's pacing, recommend Lost Legacy. Talk about bad pacing. The majority of that game consists of driving a large map looking for clues. It's the main reason I only finished it once. I liked it, but the pacing is absolutely not better.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I felt uncharted 4 was the best game in the series. Best balance between combat and puzzles, best mechanics, best almost everything. For all it's simplicity I still feel like uncharted 1 still has the strongest narrative in some respects but in almost every other aspect uncharted 4 is better than 1,2 and 3(but 3 is markedly worse than the rest).

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fantastic game but I can see why some might have issues with the pacing even though it didn't bother me.
However the ending alone makes it one of my favourite games of the generation. That was just beautiful.

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 4: not quite a mess, but it's messy. It's a game with cute little moments — like Nate shooting at targets in his attic because he misses adventuring — that ND tried to roll up into a grandiose story with all this drama and themes and messages because they're the STORY people now and those are the things that come with real narrative classics even though the strength of the "story" of the best Uncharted game, Among Thieves, came from quips and goofy things happening almost exclusively. They bit off way more than Uncharted can chew, and it culminated in one of the most dissatisfying narrative experiences I've had in games. The epilogue was just embarrassing. Totally clueless direction for how to end Uncharted. Again, going back to the "we're the story people now" mentality that rotted at every corner of what could've been an awesome game.

And despite the added experience of 3 games since (I'm including 2), I find SEVERAL of the set pieces in 2 more impressive than everything in 4 put together. The train sequence is still mesmerizing in every way, and 4 had like the Madagascar chase which was like I guess a better version of the convoy section in 2 which was a middle-of-the-road set piece for that game?

4 and Lost Legacy deserve props though for bringing puzzles to the level of where they should've always been and for having great level design.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My thoughts on UC4 are mixed. It kinda felt like a rehashed, less spectacular UC2. I think the game honestly lacked more big set pieces. I know the earlier games kinda went overboard in places with set pieces but honestly, that's what kinda made them an Uncharted game for me, the bombastic, thrilling set pieces. Whereas in UC4 I literally only remember the truck chase scene (which admittedly was amazing).

I loved the epilogue however, absolutely loved it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts on UC4 are mixed. It kinda felt like a rehashed, less spectacular UC2, especially with the re-used train section! I think the game honestly lacked more big set pieces. I know the earlier games kinda went overboard in places with set pieces but honestly, that's what kinda made them an Uncharted game for me, the bombastic, thrilling set pieces. Whereas in UC4 I literally only remember the truck chase scene (which admittedly was amazing) and the train section (which seemed very pedestrian compared to the UC2 one).

I loved the epilogue however, absolutely loved it.
The train section was very pedestrian compared to Uncharted 2. However, that was Lost Legacy, not 4.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
I think you're overthinking the story for an aventure/blockbuster kind of game.

But I agree that the pacing is not great and it's really padded. I never enjoyed gunplay in these games.

Like many are saying, you'll probably enjoy LL a lot more. For me it's the second best after 2.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
By the way: amazing that people who criticize U4's pacing, recommend Lost Legacy. Talk about bad pacing. The majority of that game consists of driving a large map looking for clues. It's the main reason I only finished it once. I liked it, but the pacing is absolutely not better.

yeah, I just don't get it.

Oct 25, 2017
I loved every moment of it and finished it 4 times by now. Pacing is great, gameplay is smooth and addictive, graphics top notch and narrative the best out there. Seems you're overthinking to much OP, stop taking everything so serious.

Looking for clues was actually fun. Uncharted 4 had several hours of non-stop flash back flash forward tutorial scenes all to set up its contrived narrative threads in the beginning that was way longer than the minimum you had to do in that LL section.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Fantastic game but I can see why some might have issues with the pacing even though it didn't bother me.
However the ending alone makes it one of my favourite games of the generation. That was just beautiful.

I completely agree. That ending, or even the last third leading up to it, is just fantastic. This game is right up there this generation for me. Maybe only God of War beats it out, but even then... Uncharted 4's ending is beautiful.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I'd probably give it GotY for 2016. I was fine with Sam and Rafe was probably the most interesting villain in the series, imo. The open segments with lots of looking around were for...just that, taking in the scenery. They weren't for a bunch of bland enemies to come in and start fighting with sluggish shooting mechanics. They were just to engage with the environments, which are really well done and probably Uncharted's best yet.

But...yeah, I would easily put it as the second best of the Uncharted games, personally. UC 3 wasn't as good and UC 1 is easily the worst in the series for me.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
U4 is absolutely one of my favourites. I don't keep games once done but i DO have a small collection that I enjoy replaying. U4 is one of them.

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Uncharted 4 cemented Nathan and Elena as one of my favorite couples in video games and I'm a lesbian! I consider that a testament to the storytelling. Though perhaps it's more accurate to say I love Elena and her dumbass husband Nathan.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Could not disagree more. Uncharted 4 is better than it's predecessors and has actual emotional heft which they lacked.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Uncharted 4 cemented Nathan and Elena as one of my favorite couples in video games and I'm a lesbian! I consider that a testament to the storytelling. Though perhaps it's more accurate to say I love Elena and her dumbass husband Nathan.
That's so true. The delivery of Elena and Nate in couple is just fantastic... and Nate always comes off as boyish and awkward, part of the charm i guess :)
The UC2 ending "clown scare" to me was the blueprint for it, and every interaction between those two in UC4 are a delight to follow even when it gets tense. I loved the epilogue also, perfectly fitting.
Elena, while not perfect, is close to it. It's a little sad she never really had her forefront spot, and it's too late for it now (unless we get a family adventure with multiple PCs, or a duologie for UC5).

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
That's so true. The delivery of Elena and Nate in couple is just fantastic... and Nate always comes off as boyish and awkward, part of the charm i guess :)

I disagree as Nate lies, does what ever he wants and generates unnecessary issues in relationships by not communicating. That is not he being awkward and dumb, that is Nathan just being utter disrespectful shit.

Rimon-Hanit

Oct 27, 2017
So I kind of ignored lost legacy because of how bad the pacing was in UC4, I think I might give it a try now

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I disagree as Nate lies, does what ever he wants and generates unnecessary issues in relationships by not communicating. That is not he being awkward and dumb, that is Nathan just being utter disrespectful shit.
He lies because he thinks that protects Elena..., which is a problem in dumb judgement hence the awkward...
She's had a hard time for sure but they worked it out.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
He lies because he thinks that protects Elena..., which is a problem in dumb judgement hence the awkward...
She's had a hard time for sure but they worked it out.

Series is pure white cis-male power fantasy where the protagonist can do anything; murder, lie, steal, cheat and take few bullets, and non of that will matter as all will be healed, forgiven and/or rewarded at the end. Elena is just Stepford wife in all that and as such a really terrible example for any kind of real, functional relationship.

I mean, I really like women in UC-series, but they are all better without Nate. See UC4:LL.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Series is pure white cis-male power fantasy where the protagonist can do anything; murder, lie, steal, cheat and take few bullets, and non of that will matter as all will be healed, forgiven and/or rewarded at the end. Elena is just Stepford wife in all that and as such a really terrible example for any kind of real, functional relationship.

I mean, I really like women in UC-series, but they are all better without Nate. See UC4:LL.

He's a flawed human being. Flaws are relatable. I think that's why it's compelling, it's a betrayal of trust and it feels very authentic to the everyday struggles of partners and couples. The dissapointments, not just the highs of a relationship but the lows; the shortcomings.

The idea that you have to "go it alone", and that you can close yourself off to the people closest to you that could and want to help you the most.

To fail to keep promises, to be insecure, to not be honest with yourself and what you want. I think ND explored the challenges of a relationship and conflicts in an intimate and grounded way, its one of the strongest aspects of the game.

Nate and Elena have never been more human and believable than in UC4. Elena isn't a stepford wife, mindlessly letting Drake get away with shit, but rather they deal with the consequences and fallout in a way that seems true to the characters. Even though it's a pulpy action adventure there's a vulnerability to Nate and Elena, which you don't associate with power fantasies.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I'm replaying this game right now and thought I'd check out some LTTPs... and wow. I'm surprised by how harsh some criticisms are for Uncharted 4.

I personally love it. It's a longer experience than the other Uncharted games so pacing is rough in the beginning. But that's really the only complaint I have. Once the game hits its stride in Madagascar, it just keeps getting better. Great story, great characters, great set pieces, great encounters, amazing last third of the game, worthy boss fight, and the best send-off to a series I've ever seen from almost any game, movie, or book.

I'll miss going on adventures with Nathan Drake.

Yeah I feel the same way. More than anything the combat in 4 feels by far the best in the series and the encounter design is excellent. I don't know how anyone can not enjoy the game when (despite the pacing issues which is a very legitimate complaint) the core mechanics are so fun. I loved it a lot and feel like it was a perfect send off for the characters. Plus the moments between Drake and Elena are the best and most real of any two characters in any game I've played not counting TLOU.

He's a flawed human being. Flaws are relatable. I think that's why it's compelling, it's a betrayal of trust and it feels very authentic to the everyday struggles of partners and couples. The dissapointments, not just the highs of a relationship but the lows; the shortcomings.

The idea that you have to "go it alone", and that you can close yourself off to the people closest to you that could and want to help you the most.

To fail to keep promises, to be insecure, to not be honest with yourself and what you want. I think ND explored the challenges of a relationship and conflicts in an intimate and grounded way, its one of the strongest aspects of the game.

Nate and Elena have never been more human and believable than in UC4. Elena isn't a stepford wife, mindlessly letting Drake get away with shit, but rather they deal with the consequences and fallout in a way that seems true to the characters. Even though it's a pulpy action adventure there's a vulnerability to Nate and Elena, which you don't associate with power fantasies.

Yeah really well put

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
UC4 and 1 are my favorites. I know 1 is like objectively the worst but I remember being completed floored by it as a kid so I am especially partial towards it.

4 felt amazing to me. I wish it came out later in the PS4's life, just so the developers had more time with the hardware.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
I know it's an open forum, but goddamn, we know devs at Naughty Dog read Era, seeing these kind of threads must fucking suck.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a boring game in a series built on excitement. I'll never replay it, but I would UC1-3 and even GA.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

The hell? Yeah, Nathan is incredibly flawed but calling Elena a stepford wife is just silly.

A nice nuanced take.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
As much as I enjoyed playing U4, I could never take the story in Uncharted games seriously, considering the lovable rascal and genuinely good person Nate kills hundreds of people in cold blood in every single game.
So complaining about the story not exactly making much sense... I don't know. I'm not sure being taken seriously is what ND went for in the first place?

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the pacing, climbing and spoiling of its major set-piece, but the gameplay improvements (the combat is superb and improved by the wide-linear level design) still make it my third favorite UC after TLL and 2.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I know it's an open forum, but goddamn, we know devs at Naughty Dog read Era, seeing these kind of threads must fucking suck.
Uncharted 4 is a very highly regarded game by critics and has miilions of fans and millions of sales....it was a huge success for Naughty Dog.
Twenty or thirty people on this forum stating it has "bad pacing" is not going to bother the devs one bit I imagine,lol.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

What a Yikes worthy take.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
"Nate sucks" is a not a hot take at all

He's like the bosses from The Office (either show)—entertaining to watch, but would be hell to deal with irl.

Not liking Drake (which is personal take) is a far cry from saying that he is a "cheater" and that Elena is a "stepford wife". The only line worthy of been taken seriously is that UC (not 4) TLL does a good job representing women. Yet, mechanically, she functions identical to Nate with all that "murdering".

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I actually didn't mind this chapter. I'd even venture as far as to say it was one of the better ones, to be honest. It's a bombastic prison break done right, even ignoring the fact that it never actually happened. Just wish Alcazar was an actual villain, not a misdirection.

Thanks for the link and the information in general, I'll read up on this. Had no idea the development cycle was so constrained and turbulent. Having now considered that, I do feel bad about the fervor with which I criticized Uncharted 4 in the OP, and I'll admit to being maybe a bit too negatively emotional toward the game. I just finished it yesterday, so it's still fresh in my mind. If I had written on it later in the week, I likely would've had more to say in the way of positives, but alas, my post has been seen as-is, and I can't really erase it.

I don't mean to demoralize the developers. This game was still very successful and acclaimed for Naughty Dog, and I'm years late to the party, so I figured I could be open and honest with my grievances. I have nothing against the (no doubt passionate and talented) devs, I'm merely criticizing elements of the product itself.

As far as getting the Plat in the game, I'm not sure of the relevance there. You and I are clearly both Uncharted fans, I even got 100% of the MP trophies in U3:
1o3Wu2M.png
I've played the absolute heck out of these games just the same.
God of war was basically made in a year and a half too. Watch Raising Kratos

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through it right now and I disagree about almost everything, especially the villains part. Nadine is probably the best villain in the series, and Rafe is at least charismatic. Are you really gonna say they're bad compared to Lazarevich or Navarro?

UC4 is mechanically better than every other entry, it plays much smoother and is better at everything gameplay. The other games are so heavy in action scenes, there are an insane amount of enemies, they never stop coming, it gets grating really fast. 4 gives you the option of having that or trying to stealth your way through (and stealth actually works here).

The only thing I'm missing and I think the previous games (2 and 3) were better at is set pieces. I haven't found a set piece in this game that made me impressed yet, while they were pretty frequent on the PS3. 3 specially had an incredible variety of scenarios, one minute you're in a desert and then you're in a sinking ship, it made no sense but was so good.

The critiques about pacing I also don't understand, I have always seen people saying the game has a terrible pacing, but playing it, I can't see how it's better or worse than previous games.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The only Uncharted game I've actually loved. 1-3 were all good with subpar gameplay but nothing more. 4 pretty much was excellent in every way I thought, much better story than the other games with the gameplay and gunplay in general being far better. Didn't even like The Lost Legacy, far too short and the story didn't interest me at all.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
So I kind of ignored lost legacy because of how bad the pacing was in UC4, I think I might give it a try now

Do it.

Found that TLL was much better than UC4. Thats not to say that UC4 is a bad game, I just found TLL a lot more enjoyable. UC4 as it stands is the only UC game I havent bothered to platinum.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands

You totally got it. 😇💪🏽😎

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
It's the only game in this franchise I enjoyed top to bottom, specifically because of its stronger focus on story and more grounded approach to storytelling. I loved Sam as a character, the flashback scenes to the orphanage, the banter as they try to reach Libertalia. It feels like it's trying to tell a story first and foremost, and I really appreciate that a lot more over a the lighter, less serious games.

Lost Legacy was great, too, but I think the main game is truly fantastic.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
Played through the remastered trilogy and then 4.

4 was my favourite one by far. Didn't have any problems with pacing.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
That final 30 minutes of boring platforming just before the final boss confrontation is just baffling.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
UC4 was just the start of Sony's overrated (to me) string of exclusives. Such a lame game until the last third. As others said though, the Lost Legacy is better. But if I'm in the mood for UC, I play UC2 in 60fps.